What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Elijah Mitchell, SF (1 Viewer)

He went for $69 in our 12 man, to a 'needy RB' team, I followed up and grabbed Jeff Wilson Jr.(Out) and will stick him on IR, by the time he comes back I'm thinking this RB room is fluid and its worth to have a least a RB that can benefit from the run scheme. 

Last edited by a moderator:
All 12 team redraft

1) 100% (I was second with 30%)

2) 47% Me (second was 37%)

3)37% Me (second was 25%)

4)51% (I was second with 32%)

nittanylion said:
I'm basing my current WW decision on experience dealing with the Shanahan's for the entire lifespan of father and son's Coaching careers.

Once in very long while, a RB comes along like a Terell Davis or a Clinton Portis, who is capable of handling most of the pie. When that guy comes along, he eats.

I'm not 100% saying Sermon is that guy, but IMHO, he profiles as the closest thing to it that this backfield has seen in the Kyle Shanahan regime. He's the only RB worth a significant investment, IMHO.

I wholly and completely believe Sermon did something knuckleheaded; that Sunday was punative; and that whatever it was, it's water under the bridge, and Shanahan/Sermon are moving forward, and Sermon will be featured sooner than later. When he is, it's my opinion that he will seize the job, and the job will be the lion's share of statistical output from the RB room.

I'm not spending a dime on Elijah Mitchell, right or wrong. If anyone in any of my Leagues drops Sermon, I'll go to great lengths to acquire him. While everyone is spending on Mitchell and Hasty, I will spend pennies on Jeff Wilson, where he's available, but only if he goes for pennies.

It is a system that yields results, and Elijah Mitchell has some foundational skills that lend themselves to the system. Great. Sermon does as well, and his profile, IMHO, is the most likely to yield a featured back.

I might be wrong, but that's where I stand, but I'm OK with it.
nice post!

Bowden was never really a RB.  He should have been a WR from the beginning.  I said last year he was forced to play QB in college because of injury to Terry Wilson and of course had to be a running QB.  He was a decent receiver before playing QB. 

I agree about Vaughn.

No one will be surprised if Sermon passes Mitchell at some point this year.
Bowden had some flashes as a WR last year and this preseason. He was placed on season ending IR to protect him for 1 more year. Sure, Sermon could pass Mitchell, I think a fluid RBBC is more likely.  

I'm also considering a few lower profile RBs that have carved out a place in a less crowded backfield, such as Carlos Hyde, to get RB depth without using the #1 priority, and saving it for something more certain. I could have regrets either way. My leagues waiver process was moved for this year to midnight tonight, it gives me more time to throw darts.

Went for $100 in one league and $65 in the other. Yikes. 

$100 budgets. 

Wow, had the 10th (of 14) waiver priority and put in a claim with zero expectations, but I got him! Someone ahead of me actually took Ingram.

Going straight into my starting lineup ahead of Robinson this week.

12-team Keeper (3yr) league:

Bids ($200 budget):

• $52 Winning Offer (mine)
  • $47 (Lower Offer)
  • $38 (Lower Offer)
  • $15 (Lower Offer)
  • $12 (Lower Offer)
  • $0 (Lower Offer)

I'm rooting for Mitchell, but It's going to be entertaining when Sermon comes back this week and it's a 50/50 split :lol:   

I got him for $76/$100. Next closest was $67. 

It was aggressive and I fully recognize he may not hit/may be a frustrating guy to try to start, but figured the upside was worth the swing this early in the year, and with how high the ceiling is in this offseason. 

I'm rooting for Mitchell, but It's going to be entertaining when Sermon comes back this week and it's a 50/50 split :lol:   
Situations like this make me kind of glad I don't play in any FAAB leagues. I would have been tempted to spend a lot, but I have to assume we're in for the same Shanny Rollercoaster we've been seeing ever since Mike was in Denver. Right now Mitchell seems to be the safest bet, but I have no doubt we'll all change our minds multiple times between now and the end of the season.

in a 16-team redraft Standard league with two Flex spots (W/T and W/R/T)

Bids ($100 budget):

$57 Winning Offer

$53 (Lower Offer)

$36 (Lower Offer)

$26 (Lower Offer)

$25 (Lower Offer)

$22 (Lower Offer) Me

$20 (Lower Offer)

$10 (Lower Offer)

$0 (Lower Offer)

The funny thing? The winning bidder isn't RB needy, owning Jonathan Taylor, Darrell Henderson Jr., Jamaal Williams, Carlos Hyde, and Tony Pollard. In a 16 teamer, RBs are worth their weight in gold and he went all-in due to the fact that you may not see a RB with this type of ability/situation the rest of the year.

facook said:
Man that's a lot.  You do you, I'm bidding 26% in my dynasty league mostly just to keep everyone else honest, and because I have Jeff Wilson on IR.  HE'S the fly in the ointment for you imo.  Could come back week 8 and really mess things up.

In fact CBS is recommending grabbing him and stashing him on ir if you can.
"keeping everyone honest"  I heard others on the radio saying this yesterday, and it doesn't make any sense.  We are not at auction bidding back and forth where it is possible you are bidding against me to solely make me spend more than I wanted to.  We are behind closed doors putting in a single bid.  Nothing more.  

"keeping everyone honest"  I heard others on the radio saying this yesterday, and it doesn't make any sense.  We are not at auction bidding back and forth where it is possible you are bidding against me to solely make me spend more than I wanted to.  We are behind closed doors putting in a single bid.  Nothing more.  

You're right of course.  When I used it I meant: "He should go for quite a bit more than $26, and I am 98% confident he will.  But if he doesn't and I get him for $26 I feel like I'm getting a bargain pickup."  I don't want someone else getting him for 8 or 13 or 22 or whatever.

It makes sense to me. Over the years I have occasionally seen the top weekly waivers pick go for practically nothing because most everyone figured the cost to acquire him was way beyond what they wanted to pay, so hardly anyone bid and someone "keeping everyone honest" got him for peanuts. 

Keeping everyone honest makes sense. A lot of people assume these top free agents are gonna go for big bucks and when everyone says "Im not spending that money" what can happen is someone can win him by throwing a few bucks on him just in case. Do you really want someone to win him for $1? No, so to keep everyone honest you put a reasonable bid that you can live with on him knowing full well you probably wont but if you do you get a top free agent at a great value. 

Keeping everyone honest.

Keeping everyone honest makes sense. A lot of people assume these top free agents are gonna go for big bucks and when everyone says "Im not spending that money" what can happen is someone can win him by throwing a few bucks on him just in case. Do you really want someone to win him for $1? No, so to keep everyone honest you put a reasonable bid that you can live with on him knowing full well you probably wont but if you do you get a top free agent at a great value. 

Keeping everyone honest.
i'm not trying to be an ### here, but you are simply saying "let's see what happens" with my low offer more than "keeping everyone honest"  At least that is how I interpret it.  <shakes hands>

Running style favors Mitchell, for now.

>>Sharing this once more... News of Raheem Mostert's season-ending surgery means it really is Elijah Mitchell's time. 
It's no accident that Mitchell's running style within the 49ers offense was so reminiscent of Mostert's. The story of how that came to be: 
https://t.co/gKF9Qw9uWE<<

>>Greg Pappa said they are coaching him hard to be a 1 cut and go guy. He said at Ohio State he was a very patient  runner (he compared that skill set to Levon Bell) which is good for most systems but for SF/Kyle you need to just see it and hit it.  They think he will get there.<<

https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/1437879550638112771?s=19

Some guy is petulantly leaving the league because I activated Elijah Mitchell off of his taxi squad for a 2022 2nd and 2022 3rd. He's "not even mad about it" but he "works 14 hour night shifts 7 days a week" so it doesn't make sense for him to be in a league where he "can't use his taxi squad" -- we have a 9 hour window post kick-off for people to promote their own taxi squad players. I posted the claim at 9 hours 15 mins after kickoff, and he tried to activate him 30 hours after kickoff.

All of that drama over a guy I'm probably over paying for, lol.

Keeping everyone honest.

Exactly what I did. I am not interested in or want to have Mitchell, but I bid $26 just to make sure somebody didn't get him on the cheap. We had one person put in a free WW claim and 6 bid ($15-38.) Didn't feel bad about finishing 3rd; everyone sees those bids so they'll know next time a Lotto ticket comes in, gonna take a lot to reel him in.

League 1 ("average" 12-team 100$ faab):
51 - winning bid, 49, 45, 21, 20, 10, 5

League 2 (highly competitive 12-team 100$ faab):
96 - winning bid, 62, 42, 41, 31, 27, 26, 23, 11

Bolded my bids, which at the time I placed them I thought were way over.

I've got a 100% bid in on him for tonight in one dynasty league, and 50 something in another very similar league. Callaway went for 100% to multiple 100% bids before week one, so that's just what it is going to take to get him. 12 team, 25 player rosters with only 10 starters, so the FA pool is always pretty dead. If there's a potential starter on the wire you'd better be prepared to go all out.

Buddy of mine in a highly competitive league got Mitchell for 35% of his FAAB budget. Sounds like a reasonable price compared to some of the other bids I’m seeing.

I was winning bid at $52 in one. Next highest bid was $32. Eep — guess I could saved some there.

I got him for $20 in another less active one.

He was already rostered in all of my dynasty leagues. Sad that I have no shares, as I had him in my college fantasy leagues, knew what he was, and just failed to prioritize him.

These numbers are insane 
The way I see it, what are the odds that he becomes this year's James Robinson? I'd say pretty low. In fact, the most likely scenario is that he ends up where we all currently are with Ty'Son Williams after Week 1: some value there, but a frustrating time split and never a set-it-and-forget-it starter. I definitely think he's worth an add, but I suspect the people who paid through the nose for him will live to regret it.

League 1 ("average" 12-team 100$ faab):
51 - winning bid, 49, 45, 21, 20, 10, 5

League 2 (highly competitive 12-team 100$ faab):
96 - winning bid, 62, 42, 41, 31, 27, 26, 23, 11

Bolded my bids, which at the time I placed them I thought were way over.

Holy crap.  Our commish in my dynasty league got him for $96 as well.   :eek:   There were also failing bids at $80 and $86.

The winning bid in my 12-team league (with a $500 FAAB Budget) was $376!  

Knowing Kyle's penchant for "Shanahanigans",   I wasn't going to put a  lot on Elijah.   Everyone's looking for the next James Robinson.  

I got him for 70% of our FAAB budget. Next highest bid was a little over 60%, so even though I'm sick at using so much FAAB so early, I'm glad to have won the blitz to the watering hole. 

looks like I overpaid

I got him for $61 in redraft .5ppr league

other bids were 25/23/23/13
It's this kind of stuff that makes me lose sleep at night.  Coulda had him for $26 in this league, and other leagues you can't even get him with $99.

Went for the max in every dynasty available (3/6). I bid the full monty 100/100 on him in each. Got a mix of injuries to JK, Akers, Mostert now (lol) and ETN, and you keep these guys "forever" - felt like this was one of those weird times to blow it all week 1. With that said, got him in 1 of those 3. 

Interesting bids.  Mitchell was already owned in all of my leagues (Dynasty).  However, despite the excellent Week #1 output, I would tap the brakes on going all in with my FAAB dollars on Mitchell in redraft.  Mitchell will have a role, perhaps even a lead role, in SF, but this is likely a dreaded RBBC situation.  Personally, I would not invest more than 35-40% of my FAAB budget to acquire Mitchell, if I was desperate for a RB.  I think the better strategy (as others have stated above) is to bid 20-25% max, be willing to walk away empty handed, and invest elsewhere.  Mitchell ran hard, and he fits well within the 49ers' scheme, but despite his week #1 absence, Trey Sermon figures to be a factor in the run game.  Personally, I might prefer Ty'Son Williams, if both are available.  I find my best acquisitions in free agency, however, are often other teams' castoffs.

If you do invest heavily in Mitchell, be willing to strongly consider trading him away and capitalizing on his perceived value, especially if he continues to be featured this week.  Never trust a Shanahan or Belichick RB for long.

My guess is that someone will be shown the door at some point.
For sure.  But who?

Kerryon likely stays on practice roster.  Juszczyk can be kept as a FB.  But they can't keep 4 RBs+ a FB, so Wilson, Sermon, Mitchell, or Hasty is gonna get cut?  THat would be shocking.

For sure.  But who?

Kerryon likely stays on practice roster.  Juszczyk can be kept as a FB.  But they can't keep 4 RBs+ a FB, so Wilson, Sermon, Mitchell, or Hasty is gonna get cut?  THat would be shocking.
It wouldn't be unusual to keep 4 RBs on the active roster and 2 on the practice squad.  They will probably move Hasty back to the PS when Wilson comes back.

For sure.  But who?

My guess is attrition will work outself out by the time Wilson is ready to return and they can always slow play activating Wilson from IR if they are enjoying the current RB production. Should all these RB's actually be healthy at that time it would still be in range before the trade deadline and for a position that everyone says is devalued there are a few teams in the league in need of some RB help and whatever that list looks like now it's only going to grow. So if they ever get to a point of needing to trip the RB room, my guess is they'd find a trade partner.

Users who are viewing this thread