What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Elijah Mitchell, SF (1 Viewer)

Perhaps they are trying to light a fire under Aiyuk's behind?  I was shocked by his usage and goose egg.

Snaps and utilization were both baffling. Preliminary count was like 57% snaps, ran routes on 37% - what, he’s Hines Ward now? - and ZERO targets. Guy had an elite win rate against man and press coverage as a rookie, and then gets the Dante Pettis treatment.

Snaps and utilization were both baffling. Preliminary count was like 57% snaps, ran routes on 37% - what, he’s Hines Ward now? - and ZERO targets. Guy had an elite win rate against man and press coverage as a rookie, and then gets the Dante Pettis treatment.
He appeared to be in the doghouse, but I must say I was unaware and taken back by this.

Didn't he do/say something similar with Dante Pettis after Pettis had a fairly promising rookie season? 

Dude had like 371 receiving yards & 4 TDs over his last 6 G his rookie year, next year he got frozen out. They traded two picks to move up to take him in the 2nd.

Shanny DGAF about draft capital.

I hear ya brother. All the Tier 1/Tier 2 RBs in this class came with some warts. I think sometimes analysts (esp guys who favor film over data) love being the first to make a call. “Forget the lack of production at OU, forget he didn’t play in the SEC, so what if Sermon’s whole ascendency is due to the playoff push at tOSU - trust me, the film says this guy is the best RB in the class.” As much as I love guys like Kollman or Waldman, it def feels like “I know the secret code and notice things you guys miss” sometimes.

Riiiiiiight. He also said Trent Sheford outplayed Aiyuk all summer.

Two developments nobody who spent time at Santa Clara covering the 49ers this summer noticed. Complete blind side in both cases.
Someone on these forums called Sherfield a sleeper because of how well he played this camp.

FGITLOTR said:
Good call Mop!
How many are in the mix now? I got a nice lotto ticket in Trey Sermon but they didn't even activate him Week 1 after drafting him in the 3rd. Hard to imagine him getting a lion's share of the work next week. Looks messy from my viewpoint. 

so for those of you that uses FAAB for your waivers, out of $100 how much would you guys spend to try to get this guy?

so for those of you that uses FAAB for your waivers, out of $100 how much would you guys spend to try to get this guy?
So torn.  Some are saying 100.  Some saying under 10.  He's not a 'season winner" for me so I usually like to throw a low ball offer out.  I think he will go for somewhere around $40, so I'll throw $29 and see what happens.

So torn.  Some are saying 100.  Some saying under 10.  He's not a 'season winner" for me so I usually like to throw a low ball offer out.  I think he will go for somewhere around $40, so I'll throw $29 and see what happens.
Ya, I'd imagine most will be excited about his W1 performance, Sermon being inactive, and will bid >40%. I expect Sermon to be in a time share at the bare minimum. I'm not paying 50%+ FAAB on someone I don't expect to be a league winner. 

This is the call of the week.  He could be at his peak against a terrible lions team with a huge lead most of the game or he  could be their back going forward...

This is the call of the week.  He could be at his peak against a terrible lions team with a huge lead most of the game or he  could be their back going forward...
I’m a sermon owner and I think it makes him easier to go after if you already drafted sermon. I’ll be backing up the truck for him because I tried to draft this backfield when I drafted sermon, and this gives me the best chance to do that.

I’m a sermon owner and I think it makes him easier to go after if you already drafted sermon. I’ll be backing up the truck for him because I tried to draft this backfield when I drafted sermon, and this gives me the best chance to do that.

We have a 200 fab and i put a bid in at 50

I took sermon/mostert back to back in my draft so i had the same plan.  I was able to IR mostert so it frees up the roster space

We have a 200 fab and i put a bid in at 50

I took sermon/mostert back to back in my draft so i had the same plan.  I was able to IR mostert so it frees up the roster space
My plan was to grab them back to back as well. And I grabbed sermon first. Which was the wrong call. And then tried my darndest to trade for Mostert which was the wrong call. So grabbing Mitchell is probably the wrong call.

My plan was to grab them back to back as well. And I grabbed sermon first. Which was the wrong call. And then tried my darndest to trade for Mostert which was the wrong call. So grabbing Mitchell is probably the wrong call.

hahahaha...don't tell me that.  I'm going all in on Mitchell just to have the backfield consolidated again :)

My rb situation is so bleak after Gus that I can make an argument for paying up to get this guy, paying a little to get Hasty, starting both of them and accepting whatever RB points the fantasy Gods are willing to bestow upon me.

Thinking half of my $155 remaining budget after FAAB auction to determine snake order.

Last edited by a moderator:
My rb situation is so bleak after Gus that I can make an argument for paying up to get this guy, paying a little to get Hasty, starting both of them and accepting whatever RB points the fantasy Gods are willing to bestow upon me.
......then Sermon starts and ruins that as well.

I don't play FF anymore, but there's too many chefs in the kitchen here plus this is a Shanny offense and it's so early in the season. There's Wilson coming back from PUP, Mostert's not out for the season yet, AND a rookie they traded up for waiting for PT. Add to that Hasty isn't a scrub himself and I don't see Mitchell pulling an Alfred Morris 2021.

......then Sermon starts and ruins that as well.
 If you're willing to believe that Sermon runs away with the top job and becomes a weekly consistent play.   

If you're set at RB, I think staying away and letting a leaguemate blow their FAAB makes a lot of sense.   If you're down a RB, and currently have Melvin Gordon and Singletary as your starters in 14-team, this doesn't look like a bad lotto ticket.   6-8 weeks for Mostert and a similar timetable for Jeff Wilson is a pretty big void.    It's probably a combination of Sermon-Mitchell-Hasty, right?     I guess I can see Mitchell not being too appetizing in a 12-team.   In a 14-team league where I'm bleeding at the position, this looks like a potential lifeline that I should be grasping for.   Adding Hasty into the mix as a starter is probably over-doing it, but I might get there on bye weeks or if I have any more injuries.

There was a week last year when the SF RB who was inactive the week before got the lion's share the following week.  If I had Sermon and/or Mostert I'd go after Mitchell, otherwise no.

What are people bidding FAAB wise?  I have Wilson in my IR spot but no  other SF RB shares.  Thinking of going $53 out of $100 for mitchell....am I crazy?

Chubb and CEH are other RBs, but SF RB is so tempting.

What are people bidding FAAB wise?  I have Wilson in my IR spot but no  other SF RB shares.  Thinking of going $53 out of $100 for mitchell....am I crazy?

Chubb and CEH are other RBs, but SF RB is so tempting.
Sermon lurking though

50 percent is alot week 1

People who save money always regret it.  I'd say if you NEED rb help , then 50 is warranted.
What if you have the #1 priority on the waiver wire in a bigger league? RBs get injured, and this potential isn't a weekly thing at RB.  I'm still curious why his pff rating was only 63.4,  but yet pff has him high on missed tackles forced and yac. He is the fastest 49er RB still standing. 

What if you have the #1 priority on the waiver wire in a bigger league? RBs get injured, and this potential isn't a weekly thing at RB.  I'm still curious why his pff rating was only 63.4,  but yet pff has him high on missed tackles forced and yac. He is the fastest 49er RB still standing. 
if you have #1 priority then no question you take him.  What else are you waiting for?

Well, I hope I don't regret this, but I just traded Sermon and 25% of my FAAB to the team who was fortunate enough to grab Mitchell for free on Sunday morning... for Melvin Gordon.

Anyone read articles/listen to pods to hear what the experts are recommending? I am curious what our opponents might be hearing and bidding. 

Anyone read articles/listen to pods to hear what the experts are recommending? I am curious what our opponents might be hearing and bidding. 

I just heard on Serius fantasy station a recommendation of 60% bid, but realize you'll probably only get him @ half the time at that bid.  They figure 70% in most leagues will win him.

I just heard on Serius fantasy station a recommendation of 60% bid, but realize you'll probably only get him @ half the time at that bid.  They figure 70% in most leagues will win him.
I am thinking of going 81% (I have Sermon) and just trying to get this backfield locked down. I actually am really good at RB but could use the trade bait to shore up some other spots. 

Kyle Yates of FantasyPros - who would get my vote as the most inept analyst on a major platform - recommended 10-15%. Not gonna be playing Detroit every week.

The Huddle: oddly specific $36-38

SI: 16% Mitchell, 4% Hasty

CBS Jamey Eisenberg: as high as 20%

My own view is I don’t think Mitchell is anything special. His O-line played well, he got what was there. Def is a decisive one-cut and go Zone RB, which is a good match for the 49ers system. Straight line fast but not elusive. On the 38 yard TD Will Harris took a terrible angle and tried a too high arm tackle, bounced oh harmlessly. He ran through arm tackles at least 4-5 times, something that might not happen again this year. Zero involvement as a receiver and Garrapolo called his pass blocking “up and down I guess” in his postgame presser. He’s listed as 201 and I think they’ll want to balance that by utilizing Sermon who is more of a power back.

I could see him filling the Mostert role with Sermon taking the Wilson role. Schematically it’s a great rushing attack. I’m gonna pass but GL to everyone bidding tonight.

I am thinking of going 81% (I have Sermon) and just trying to get this backfield locked down. I actually am really good at RB but could use the trade bait to shore up some other spots. 

Man that's a lot.  You do you, I'm bidding 26% in my dynasty league mostly just to keep everyone else honest, and because I have Jeff Wilson on IR.  HE'S the fly in the ointment for you imo.  Could come back week 8 and really mess things up.

In fact CBS is recommending grabbing him and stashing him on ir if you can.

Kyle Yates of FantasyPros - who would get my vote as the most inept analyst on a major platform - recommended 10-15%. Not gonna be playing Detroit every week.

The Huddle: oddly specific $36-38

SI: 16% Mitchell, 4% Hasty

CBS Jamey Eisenberg: as high as 20%

My own view is I don’t think Mitchell is anything special. His O-line played well, he got what was there. Def is a decisive one-cut and go Zone RB, which is a good match for the 49ers system. Straight line fast but not elusive. On the 38 yard TD Will Harris took a terrible angle and tried a too high arm tackle, bounced oh harmlessly. He ran through arm tackles at least 4-5 times, something that might not happen again this year. Zero involvement as a receiver and Garrapolo called his pass blocking “up and down I guess” in his postgame presser. He’s listed as 201 and I think they’ll want to balance that by utilizing Sermon who is more of a power back.

I could see him filling the Mostert role with Sermon taking the Wilson role. Schematically it’s a great rushing attack. I’m gonna pass but GL to everyone bidding tonight.

:lmao:   That Berry guy from espn would like a word.

And actually his point is echoed a bit by you, and I agree with it.  They'll be facing much better d's than Detroit's for the most part the rest of the year.

Man that's a lot.  You do you, I'm bidding 26% in my dynasty league mostly just to keep everyone else honest, and because I have Jeff Wilson on IR.  HE'S the fly in the ointment for you imo.  Could come back week 8 and really mess things up.

In fact CBS is recommending grabbing him and stashing him on ir if you can.
I do have an open IR spot. Also, I have never had any of these SF backs. Is it ever obvious who to play based on health or will he just switch it up at random week to week?

People who save money always regret it.  I'd say if you NEED rb help , then 50 is warranted.
I think it makes a bunch of sense to swing for the fences with the FAAB early in the season. I generally plan to have it all spent by week 6 or so. 

Really just wanted to say Mitchell is one of the more fascinating/perplexing FA bids I've seen in a while. Anything from 5-80% makes perfect sense. Being in SF both helps and hurts. Sermon's inactivity of course adding to the mystery. 

I'm at 20% right now (with Sermon on the roster). I'm sure that won't do it though. I think he's going for 50% plus in most leagues. More, really. People generally either think he's worth 10 or 60+. 

I can understand either approach. 

Users who are viewing this thread