What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Khalil Herbert, CHI (1 Viewer)

Khalil Herbert (ankle) said he’ll be “fine.”
Herbert left Thursday night’s win against Washington with an ankle injury he sustained on an awkward attempted catch in the second half. Herbert tried to return to action but gimped back to the sideline and did not return in the fourth quarter. He had 76 yards on ten rushes before exiting. His practice participation will be something to watch next week. Herbert has established himself as the Bears’ clear-cut No. 1 back in recent weeks.
2m ago
Source: Jeremy Fowler

Khalil Herbert (ankle) said he’ll be “fine.”
Herbert left Thursday night’s win against Washington with an ankle injury he sustained on an awkward attempted catch in the second half. Herbert tried to return to action but gimped back to the sideline and did not return in the fourth quarter. He had 76 yards on ten rushes before exiting. His practice participation will be something to watch next week. Herbert has established himself as the Bears’ clear-cut No. 1 back in recent weeks.
2m ago
Source: Jeremy Fowler
Interesting. He didn't look fine on his last carry. Injury came at a horrible time. He was in position to solidify the lead back role. Long break till next game. Get healthy buddy

The team simply looks better when they treat him like a workhorse. hopefully he gets better soon and the Bears continue to realize where their bread is buttered.

Looked like he could barely walk off the field with a heavy tape job---> I'd be shocked if hes active in 10 days.

Just as he was getting loose, Roschon (assuming he clears concussion protocal) could get his chance.

Out multiple weeks? Yikes.

And just when he was getting rolling.

Opens door for R. Johnson although he has a concussion.

Could be D. Foreman time.

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reports Khalil Herbert (ankle) is expected to miss “multiple weeks.”
Herbert went down with the ankle injury in the Bears’ Thursday night win over the Commanders. He attempted to return but ultimately remained on the sidelines. For how bad the injury looked, a few weeks of missed action is far from the worst outcome. Roschon Johnson is dealing with a concussion, leaving D’Onta Foreman to handle the starter’s duties until one of the two backs can return. Foreman should be added in all formats.

CBS Sports’s Josina Anderson reports Khalil Herbert suffered a high-ankle sprain in Week 5 against the Commanders.
Anderson added that the Bears are considering putting Herbert on injured reserve. He would miss at least four games if placed on injured reserve. Given how slow Saquon Barkley and Austin Ekler’s recoveries have gone compared to the original timelines, it would make sense to give Herbert a month to recover without the temptation to rush him back to the lineup. With Roschon Johnson suffering a concussion in Week 4, D’Onta Foreman could be in line to start in Week 6.

With the flurry of players going on IR the last two days, I forgot about Herbert.

Didn't go to IR.

Listed as didn't practice.

Maybe he's back sooner than expected.

With the flurry of players going on IR the last two days, I forgot about Herbert.

Didn't go to IR.

Listed as didn't practice.

Maybe he's back sooner than expected.
Yeah there’s surprisingly very little news coming out about him. I don’t believe there’s been any official report about a high ankle sprain either, just speculation. I guess it could be taken as no news is good news but not getting my hopes up.

Last edited:
NOW they put him on IR?

What the hell were they waiting for?

This could be a tough hold. Picked up D. Foreman and probably starting him, but come next week, especially if R. Johnson back, I may have to drop him.

Trade for him and hold?
If someone offered me a trade for him I'd take it in a heartbeat. He's going to linger in my IR spot, and who knows what that team will look like in 4 weeks.
That's why I'm thinking of dropping him and moving on.

I have Foreman now who could prove useful.

By the time Herbert gets back it's not like he'll step in as the #1. And he'll probably have to be eased in.

High ankle sprains are pretty much the death knell on mid-season years for fantasy football. When they do come back after four weeks, they're ineffective for about two-three more weeks. I'd take any trade for him right now in redraft.

High ankle sprains are pretty much the death knell on mid-season years for fantasy football. When they do come back after four weeks, they're ineffective for about two-three more weeks. I'd take any trade for him right now in redraft.
I see people say this a lot. And I don’t disagree with it. But nobody is saying this about Ekeler.

For some reason everyone has blinders on with him around the football forums and sites and are just ready to plug him in.

Meanwhile other guys are getting snap counts, eased in, not 100% of themselves.

Every league is different. My only league I own Herbert went to two IR spots during COVID. We just left it. I'll stash him. Obviously short benches he's a drop.

Every league is different. My only league I own Herbert went to two IR spots during COVID. We just left it. I'll stash him. Obviously short benches he's a drop.
Whats short?

I'm only 8 deep.
All leagues are different, but prolly a drop for me in your case. Bye weeks are here. To much uncertainty in that backfield. What if Foreman pulls a Moss and goes on a tear? What if Roschon comes back and goes on a tear? What if Herberts ankle doesn't respond as they hoped. In the only league I care about we start 10. Have 10 bench slots. Have 2 IRs. That's a hold. Until one of my elite starters needs an IR slot. Then a drop. Ha ha

Whats short?

I'm only 8 deep.
All leagues are different, but prolly a drop for me in your case. Bye weeks are here. To much uncertainty in that backfield. What if Foreman pulls a Moss and goes on a tear? What if Roschon comes back and goes on a tear? What if Herberts ankle doesn't respond as they hoped. In the only league I care about we start 10. Have 10 bench slots. Have 2 IRs. That's a hold. Until one of my elite starters needs an IR slot. Then a drop. Ha ha
Yeah in this particular league, 10 starters, 10 bench, NO IR.

Tough to hold. And as you said, the world could change in 5 weeks IF he returns.

Eyeballing some replacements: K. Ingram (could be a free starter), S. Ahmed/C. Brooks (have Mostert), R. Rivers (have Kyren Williams).

Thoughts on Herbert going forward when he returns?

He played well before getting hurt, although Freeman flashed last week and Roschon is about to return.

Contemplating whether to pick him up in my deep keeper league, as he was dropped last week.

He was the only rb that at some point in the season I felt was the lead back. It was brief because then he got hurt, but at one small moment in time he was the one to own for this year. Seems like years ago. Now? Who knows. Foreman has been good and we still have no idea what Roschon is. Football changes quickly. If I were to bet on one back to start for week 13 it would be Herbert. I think. Imo

Last edited:
Herbert looked good when he was out there this season, the issue that he had early in the year was the Bears team as a whole was terrible so they couldn't move the ball downfield and played from behind each game. The 2 games before Herbert got injured, he looked great, the Bears looked way better as a team, and was involved in both the run and passing game. I hope he resumes his previous role when he gets back, but I dont think that will be the case with Foreman putting up a solid game and Johnson due back which will muddy things up.

yeah Herbert still best back on the team when healthy imo, what the split is now when all are healthy and now that Foreman has looked pretty good is a bit of an unknown.

yeah Herbert still best back on the team when healthy imo, what the split is now when all are healthy and now that Foreman has looked pretty good is a bit of an unknown.
Herbert could be the best “pure runner” of the group but there’s a reason Montgomery out-touched him last year. If he hasn’t learned to pass protect or has issues receiving, then he won‘t be the best back in Chicago.

Bears designated RB Khalil Herbert (ankle) to return from injured reserve.

Here we go. Herbert was injured in the Bears’ Week 5 win over the Commanders and placed on injured reserve shortly after. The third-year back was off to a hot start before going down, totaling 355 yards from scrimmage on 61 touches while averaging 5.8 yards per touch. Herbert will presumably step into his RB1 role once fully healthy, and could have an outside shot at playing on Thursday night against the Panthers. With his 21 day window now open, the Bears don’t have to play Herbert on Thursday if he’s not yet ready to go. It’s possible they opt to sideline him until Week 11 when they take on the Lions. In addition to Herbert, the Bears also opened the 21 day window for WR Equanimeous St. Brown and DB Josh Blackwell.

Khalil Herbert (ankle) was a full participant in Tuesday’s practice.

Herbert’s 21-day window was opened on Monday. That same day, the Bears listed him as a full participant on their estimated report, and did so again on Tuesday. Another full practice on Wednesday would suggest Herbert has a legitimate shot at playing on Thursday night against the Panthers. Playing as the Bears’ RB1 before suffering an injury in Week 5, Herbert would presumably return to his lead role if activated on Thursday, but fantasy managers should temper expectations if he’s left sharing a backfield with D’Onta Foreman and Roschon Johnson.

Got him and Foreman. Feel like neither are going to be a good play this week if Herbet is good to go... would probably roll with Khalil.

Got him and Foreman. Feel like neither are going to be a good play this week if Herbet is good to go... would probably roll with Khalil.
CAR rush D is pretty terrible. Think this game will stay close enough that neither Foreman or Herbert will get scripted out.

Having a hard time envisioning Herbert getting a full load right off the bat. I'd think they reward Foreman who has been more than solid while sprinkling Herbert in.

CAR rush D is pretty terrible. Think this game will stay close enough that neither Foreman or Herbert will get scripted out.

Having a hard time envisioning Herbert getting a full load right off the bat. I'd think they reward Foreman who has been more than solid while sprinkling Herbert in.
Good points. I was more worried about a split that would dampen both of their values. Will probably roll with Foreman.

I was more worried about a split that would dampen both of their values. Will probably roll with Foreman.

I think you'll see a split on Thursday night. If they're activating Khalil, then he's playing. I'd make sure Foreman is even active before rolling with him.
Good point on who will be inactive if Herbert is activated. Early in the season, Foreman was obviously the inactive one among Herbert/Roschon/Foreman, but have to think Foreman would be active either way given how he's played. Maybe Roschon will be the inactive one if Herbert plays, but not sure if Roschon plays special teams and that could be a factor. Evans does play ST, I believe, so he may need to be active as well. It will be interesting how they play this.

but not sure if Roschon plays special teams and that could be a factor. Evans does play ST, I believe, so he may need to be active as well.

Roschon definitely does and it's one of the factors in him dressing. I think the same could be said of Evans.

Watch for the announcement is all I'm saying. They've got the same logjam as they did earlier in the year. It's just that they have more information about their performances now than they did four weeks ago. So Foreman might still get the nod.

I misspoke upthread when I said if Herbert is activated, he's playing. I meant if he's active, you're going to see some sort of a split (if Foreman is active). To the best of my knowledge, they won't make Herbert active and bench him behind guys. But fantasy and lineup decisions made by coaches are crazy, so who knows?

but not sure if Roschon plays special teams and that could be a factor. Evans does play ST, I believe, so he may need to be active as well.

Roschon definitely does and it's one of the factors in him dressing. I think the same could be said of Evans.

Watch for the announcement is all I'm saying. They've got the same logjam as they did earlier in the year. It's just that they have more information about their performances now than they did four weeks ago. So Foreman might still get the nod.

I misspoke upthread when I said if Herbert is activated, he's playing. I meant if he's active, you're going to see some sort of a split (if Foreman is active). To the best of my knowledge, they won't make Herbert active and bench him behind guys. But fantasy and lineup decisions made by coaches are crazy, so who knows?
Fair point - they could conceivably activate all four and only two or three of them get meaningful time at RB while the other one or two of them sticks mainly to ST.

I'm just wishing Herbert into a bigger role, but it may not happen for some time - if at all - given how Foreman (I still mix him up with Devonta Freeman FWIW) has looked.

If CHI is smart, they use both Foreman and Herbert.

Foreman has been killing it. Even against a tough NO run D he averaged more than 4 YPC. Let him be the D. Montgomery for Chicago and then Herbert be the J. Gibbs.

Listed as questionable.

Curious if there's been any coach sound bytes on Herbert today.

Also looks like Fields is out. Wonder if that has any bearing on Herbert in vs. out.

Users who are viewing this thread