What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 New York Giants Thread (3 Viewers)

IMO they have stuck with Cruz much longer than the vast majority of teams would have done.  It's time to either prove he can still play or for the team to move on.

Giants were busy one day one. You kinda hate to see your team "win" in free agency but it is what it is.

They landed 

CB - Janoris Jenkins (probably overpaid)

DE - JPP (technically resigned)

DT - Damon "Snacks" Harrison

DE - Oliver Vernon (probably overpaid) 

They still have work to do they need to address FS, RT MLB and WR

Im liking what they did with day 1. MLB has been a sore spot for a very long time. While I'd love to see them find a solution there in free agency, the likely hood of that seems low.

Yeah, we'll see. They've tried to sign MLB in the past and never seems to work. Beason, mentioned in the linked article is a classic example of their recent history. I felt he was very good, when he was on the field, but he just couldn't stay there with any consistency. Hopefully Robinsion is Pierce 2.0 and not Beason 2.0. 

Yeah, we'll see. They've tried to sign MLB in the past and never seems to work. Beason, mentioned in the linked article is a classic example of their recent history. I felt he was very good, when he was on the field, but he just couldn't stay there with any consistency. Hopefully Robinsion is Pierce 2.0 and not Beason 2.0. 
He got hurt a bit in Washington and then this past year he couldn't beat out Will Compton to get back on the field.  He'd make some good plays sometimes and then looked lost on others, Seems like a solid guy and it sounds like you guys signed him to a pretty decent prove-it deal.

Well, they lost Ayers and Prince. Not really surprised at either, but was hoping the Giants could keep both. Past this I am not sure if I care if they resign any of their remaining FAs. Except maybe Jenkins.

Interested to see what they do the rest of this week. So far I'm a fan of the signings they've made. They definitely overpaid for Snacks and Jenkins and probably overpaid for Vernon. But that's what they had to do... with the money Oakland, Jax and the Giants had, it was physically impossible for them to sign players are 'market value' deals. I think a lot of people are overrating Vernon's "overpay" though. The structure of the deal is fantastic.

It was originally reported as 5 years/$85M with $52M guaranteed. However that's not really telling the whole story. Vernon's deal is actually only $40M guaranteed. The other $12.5M is injury guarantee in year 3, but the $12.5 isn't guaranteed unless he's on the roster day 3 in 2018. Really, the deal is structured as a 2 year $40M contract with 100% guaranteed. Which is fine, because the team knows we have/had tons of cap space this year and next. So it's a very low risk signing. If he doesn't work out, we didn't hedge our future like the Dolphins did with Suh's contract last year. If Vernon does work out, then we have him under contract for pretty solid deals in years 3-5.

Jenkins and Snacks are also structured fairly nicely in that they have a nice even cap hit year-to-year. Making future cap projection easier, which is a bigger deal than it seems.

There's no way they're done yet though, I'm guessing/hoping that today and tomorrow we'll start to hear more from them. They have an offer out to Russell Okung, he's a real wildcard. But I'd love if they signed him. He'll likely be overpaid as well because he isn't "that" good. But I really hate the idea of drafting another first round OT this season like Stanley.

Jordan Raanan seems to think the Giants will be heavily in the mix for Patrick Robinson for their slot corner position. He was extremely early in the game (a few days before) on their heavy interest in Snacks and Vernon. So there's reason to believe he's onto something. Although this sort of eliminates another "option" for first round draft which would be the possibility of Hargraves falling to us at 10.

There's definitely a few more depth signings to come but I'm guessing we'll see one or two more "big" deals. If they don't get Okung they could be in play for Donald Penn or Kelvin Beachum. Odds are they stay away from safety, they have 3 young guys who all have potential to fill in at FS this year.

What's more interesting to me at this point is the draft... the Giants are in a really really odd spot in this seasons draft. We always hear "best available" with the Giants but I'm really not sure who the best available will be. I honestly think it's 50/50 on whether the Giants even pick at 10. I think there's a solid shot they trade down. Especially if something happens like the Browns trading for Kaepernick and not taking Wentz @ 2. That could really shake up the entire draft. If Wentz is there at 10, the Giants would be insane not to trade the pick away. If we're being realistic, there's unlikely to be Top 10 talent @ #10 overall that we'll actually be able to use. Ramsey, Jack, Tunsil, Bosa, Stanley, Elliot, Buckner could all be gone (likely will be) by pick 10. We just spent big money on Jenkins, we have DRC and Jenkins locked up for 3 seasons. And if we sign a slot corner (which many think we will) I don't see Hargraves being a realistic option. At that point we're in a weird spot, there's really no pass rushers worthy of a Top 10 pick except Bosa. There's really not DT worthy of a top 10 pick except Buckner, especially not considering the depth of the position. One guy I've seen a few beat writers hype up for the Giants is Leonard Floyd. Which would be interesting... kids explosive as hell but I worry he's too small. He'd have to live in the cafeteria for the whole offseason. The draft is definitely going to be interesting though because there's arguably no good pick for the Giants at 10 with the way they've made moves in FA.

Who knows... maybe they shock the world and draft Wentz and pull a GB Packers. Let Wentz sit and develop for 3-4 years under Eli. Most people feel he has all the tools but needs development time anyway. Would sure be interesting.

Nice write up Khy. Thanks for the info about the Vernon contract.

I agree that they have to get one of the three OT on the free agent market.

I think Bobby Hart will do fine as a starting RG.

Seems like they need to sign a WR although there isn’t much out there. Boldin, LaFell, Colston or Nate Washington?

Nice write up Khy. Thanks for the info about the Vernon contract.

I agree that they have to get one of the three OT on the free agent market.

I think Bobby Hart will do fine as a starting RG.

Seems like they need to sign a WR although there isn’t much out there. Boldin, LaFell, Colston or Nate Washington?
Yeah no problem man, it's an exciting (if not terrifying) time to be a Giants fan. If these signings work out, we're going to go from the worst defense in the NFL to possibly one of the top. If Vernon, Jenkins, Snacks and JPP all play up to potential? We'll have a great defense. Maybe not quite our 2007 defense but much better than our 2011 defense. If they don't work out though, we're likely burning away Eli's last years.

If we don't sign an OT in the free agent market, I could see us drafting someone like Jason Spriggs or Vandal Alexander in the 2nd/3rd round possibly. I agree, I'm a big fan of Bobby Hart, he showed some really good stuff last year in his limited play to me. I think with a full offseason of OTAs/TC etc. at the starting RG position he could really be a surprise and really help anchor what could be a perennial pro bowl caliber interior OL. I don't think there's much of an argument that Richburg was one of, if not the best Center(s) in the NFL last season. Pugh was an amazing LG as well. Flowers still worries me, like I'm not 'totally' against drafting Stanley if he slips as I think he projects better as a LT. Where as I always thought Flowers is a more natural RT fit wise, he's a brawling run blocker but a real trouble as a pass blocker.

Agreed as well on WRs, we need someone. The ONE thing I will say here is this, I think the cold market push the Giants have seemed to make on WRs bodes well for Cruz's health. I think if the coaches and FO were projecting Cruz to not be the same guy, we would've seen a bigger push for someone like Marvin Jones. The fact that the Giants so far haven't even so much as been confirmed to bring in a WR for interviews tells me Cruz's arrow is pointing way up. If they were even mildly unsure about his status I think they'd be pushing harder for a bigger name FA. Personally, I'd absolutely ADORE signing Boldin to a one or two year deal. If for nothing more than a locker room presence. Imagine how much different the Panthers game goes last year if Boldin is on the Giants? You can bet your ### he'd have smacked Beckham up side the head and set him straight. I really think someone like Boldin is the perfect guy to be in our locker room and help mold Beckham from a personal standpoint. We know OBJ has all the talent in the world to be in the conversation for best WR to ever play the game if he keeps it up, there's no question on his talent. The problem is his hot headed nature. He really needs a mentor in the locker room. Someone who has been through it all and I can't think of a better guy than Boldin.

If we don't sign a WR in FA, there's a few guys I like later in the draft. There's a few guys who could fall to the 2nd round, the only "sure thing" 1st round WR is Treadwell. After him who knows. I think if Coleman or Doctson falls to the 2nd they're worth a 2nd round pick. Otherwise, I really like Tyler Boyd and Kenny Lawler as well in the 2nd/3rd rounds. All of these guys are bigger, stronger guys to act as a compliment to OBJ.

Honestly, one position I don't see a ton of people discussing is RB. I'm hoping we make a pick for a RB in the 3rd or 4th though. Vereen is only valuable as a 3rd down back, Jennings is older and won't stand up to 20 carries a game and Williams is as useful as a barbed wire loofah. I love me some Kenneth Dixon. I think there's still a chance that Elliot is the pick at 10 though. The Giants are known to go BPA and with the moves they've made in FA they're setup well for BPA. I don't see how Elliot isn't BPA if he slides to 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slade a poster to BBI reouted to have ties to the NYG front office says he's heard that the Giants are working a deal with S Reggie Nelson.

Slade has been solid on the other FA actions of the Giants this offseason and reported FA happenings several hours before media sources reported them.

Signing would make sense, because Bennett Jackson could take the role as the slot corner. and Nelson could be the FS.

A note on Snacks. He played in a 4-3 in college. His time with the Jets was his first time in a 3-4. So it won't be as much of an adjustment as some might believe.

Giants have been busy with some lower level free agent signings

Offense:

FB Will Johnson (PIT), OG Dillon Farrell (TEN), OG Ryan Seymour (NO) and RB Bobby Rainey (TB) is allegedly going to sign tomorrow

Defense:

Jasper Brinkley resigned and LB Kelvin Sheppard (MIA) is allegedly going to sign tomorrow

Here are the important dates to remember in the coming days and weeks: •  Voluntary Minicamp: April 26-28 

- Practices, which begin at 11:15 a.m. ET, are closed to the public, but McAdoo and players will meet with the media on Tuesday and Wednesday. •  2016 NFL Draft: April 28-30 •  OTA Offseason Workouts: May 23-24, May 26, June 1-3, June 6-7, June 9-10•  Mandatory Minicamp: June 14-16

Saw that Peter King had Miles Jack falling to the Giants at 10 which means the other teams are worried about his knee. He thinks that the Giants medical staff is fine with the knee.

Most of the beat writers on NJ.com think the Giants are going to take Leonard Floyd. Floyd is an interesting guy. They played him all over at Georgia he seems like a jack of all trades but master of none. My guess is he will be a WILL for the Giants if he is the pick.

Would love to see the Giants find a trading partner and move down a few stops and pick up an extra pick or two

I want either, Jacks, Conklin or Stanley. Would love to have them solidify the bookend to the Oline, but Jacks would be too good to pass up.

‎@art_stapleton

Victor Cruz, Bennett Jackson, Johnathan Hankins and Devon Kennard all here, splitting time outside with trainers + inside with team #Giants

Despite declaring himself 100%, Cruz is with the trainers on the first day of the bonus mini-camp.

Another guy from BBI that is supposed to have contacts in the Giants war room.

"What I've heard.....

ThatLimerickGuy : 3:44 pm

I know I promised I would pop in with what I have been told and a few people have been asking for the info.

My understanding is that the target is really Myles Jack unless someone unexpected falls. Don't be surprised if there is even a small move to 7 or 8 if he is still there.

The Giants believe that in terms of non-qb's there are 4 guys that they would be LOVE to grab in the draft and think internally that one of these 4 is going to be there. Tunsil, Ramsey, Jack, and Buckner. If those 4 are gone things become muddy.

Bosa is expected to tumble down to the mid teens on draft day because of the partying issue, and the Giants are in the group of teams not interested at 10. Some teams don't even have him on their first round board but as we know it only takes one team...

Paxton Lynch is a lock to go top 10 at this point and won't get past the Niners and Browns.

The wildcard is Leonard Floyd. One of my two contacts says he isn't even in the conversation and the other says he would be the consolation prize for the Giants if they missed out on their big 4.

Stanley isn't really on the Giants radar as the Giants don't really want to move Flowers and Stanley isn't playing RT.

If Jack, Tunsil, Ramsey, Buckner, and Floyd are all gone then the next thought would probably be Treadwell. No other WR is in the convo at 10, nor is Elliot.

With my luck the Giants will draft someone else and I'll have egg all over my face but this is just what I am hearing."

Oh one more thing....  

ThatLimerickGuy : 4:28 pm : link : reply

Don't rule out Shaq Lawson if he is still around. I doubt he is in play at 10 but his name was mentioned specifically by both sources as someone the Giants do like a lot. Maybe a trade back up into the late 1st if he is there?

Thanks for the info Net

Maybe it's true that the Giants medical staff is ok with Jack's knee. Don't know how I feel about trading up to get Jack though. 

I would be extremely disappointed if they drafted Conklin, the 3rd best OT, with the 10th pick in the draft.  That would be typical of the way the Giants have been drafting ... passing up top talent for decent Olinemen like Pugh, Richburg and to an extent Flowers only because of need. Ive been predicting Conklin for weeks, not because he is a top 10 talent (he's not) but because he is so typical of the Giants drafting

I would luv either of the Top 2 OTs Tunsil or Stanley but after that drop off ... Buckner, Elliot , Ramsey, Bosa , Floyd,  Nkemdiche ,   & Jack would all be better picks than Conklin

I'd also throw in Treadwell, Lawson, Ragland and Dodd as players I would rather have

just curious, who would you have taken instead of pugh and richburg?   I think richburg was a very solid pick at #43.
Right of the top of my head they should have drafted Alec Ogletree ahead of Pugh 

Richburg rated pretty bad last year and he was projected to go in the 3rd or 4th  behind  2 other centers that went later than him Marcus Martin and Travis Swanson

monk said:
Right of the top of my head they should have drafted Alec Ogletree ahead of Pugh 

Richburg rated pretty bad last year and he was projected to go in the 3rd or 4th  behind  2 other centers that went later than him Marcus Martin and Travis Swanson
You have no idea what you are talking about

Richburg made Pro Football Focus Pro Bowl Team roster last year. Which means they had him a top 4 center last year

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/12/16/pro-pff-pro-bowl-team/

kodycutter said:
just curious, who would you have taken instead of pugh and richburg?   I think richburg was a very solid pick at #43.
Yeah, Richburg is considered the #2 or #1 Center in the league right now.

They should have traded down and most likely would have still gotten Apple.  I think they wanted Floyd and got blindsided by CHI's move, even though they shouldn't have been.

Absolutely horrifying, fire Reese right now pick!!!!!!!!!!

He wants to be fired so give him what he wants !!!!

Currently the lowest rated player in the draft by a lot

Not me, PFF or one of those. I recall on Big Blue Live, the hosts of that show asked around opinions from other teams scouts and coaches at the combine to confirm. Most said he was the #1 or #2. The ones that said he was #1, it was because Mack is aging and they feel Richburg will over take him this season.

They should have traded down and most likely would have still gotten Apple.  I think they wanted Floyd and got blindsided by CHI's move, even though they shouldn't have been.
Can't blame them, they just saw all the guys the liked get snatched up. Too much risk that they trade back and someone jump just ahead of them and take the guy they want.

I'm reading that the Giants were cooling on Floyd, because of his inability to keep weight on. On MSG Radio before the draft, Dan Graziano said that Floyd's weight had dropped from 235 to around 220. Something's off, that a guy at age 24 hasn't been able to grow into his body. He had cramps that made him end his day early at the combine. He had to bail out of his Pro Day, said he ate too much. Sounds like he was binging to get his weight up or maintain it.  Makes me question his commitment to training. I'm glad they didn't get him. I get a bust vibe.

Experts react to Giants pick

Todd McShay, ESPN

“Apple's 4.40 40-yard dash is the fourth-fastest by a defensive back 6-1 or taller at the NFL scouting combine since 2006. He's not only an athlete, though. He does an above-average job of reading routes in man coverage and reading quarterbacks' eyes in zone coverage on tape. He has to get stronger and improve his ability to match up with bigger receivers, but he has the frame to bulk up and develop into an excellent press corner.”

Mike Mayock, NFL Media

"He's only three years removed from high school. He has all kinds of potential and is clean off the field. His tape is up and down. He's tall, fast and physical, but inconsistent and it's all because of a lack of reps."

Lance Zierlein, NFL Media

“Highly recruited two­year starter who is entering the draft as a draft eligible redshirt sophomore. Apple's size and strength allows him to compete against physical receivers, but he also has the talent to mirror and match as a man defender.”

Michael David Smith, Pro Football Talk

“Apple is a very good cornerback from Ohio State who should make an immediate impact on the Giants’ defense. At 6-foot-1 and 199 pounds, Apple has good size for a cornerback, and is viewed as ready to play in the NFL right now. Now Apple, who grew up in South Jersey, heads to the Big Apple.”

Dane Brugler, CBSSports.com

“Tall, athletic frame with long arms and solid build. Coordinated athlete to bracket receivers downfield and consistently stay in phase. Controlled hop and footwork in his transition, using clean hip motion to mirror in man coverage. Disruptive and uses his length to keep receivers uncomfortable. Highly aggressive at the catch point with a ‘my ball’ mentality. Competitive and not shy to take on blocks or throw his body around as a run defender. Physical once engaged to shed blockers on the perimeter. Improved route anticipation and field/sideline leverage while in man coverage. Tough-minded with a short memory, not allowing negative plays linger. Survivor mentality and developed strong work habits at a young age. Battle-tested with experience in man and zone coverage.”

Not sure what Dane Brugler is smoking. The tape I'm watching he seems to be extremely fearful of contact. Seemingly ever play he does a fantastic job dissecting the play but then shy's away from contact to make a big play. Which scares me. Seems like the kid has great ability reading plays off the snap but puts himself in weird positions when he's asked to make a tackle.

The NFL Draft Report's "Final Analysis" Series - The Big Apple Welcomes Eli Apple to the Big Blue Family

ELI APPLE   The Ohio State University Buckeyes    #13    [SIZE=1em]6:00.5-199-4.40    [/SIZE][SIZE=1em]Voorhees, New Jersey      Eastern High School[/SIZE]

The NFL Draft Report’s early first round dark horse candidate was The Ohio State’s Eli Apple, who had drawn keen attention from corner-needy Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, New York and Jacksonville. The first thing you notice about this Buckeye is his natural play-making instincts. He understands how receivers are trying to attack coverage and he is a master at reading quarterbacks' eyes when having to drop into zone coverage. He also does an excellent job of mid-pointing high-low routes.

Apple is an explosive, quick-twitch athlete with a sudden closing burst, especially when receivers catch the ball in front of him. He possesses that second gear needed to track the ball downfield and he’s fast enough to recover when gets caught out of position. Thanks to his fluid hips, he can make the smooth transition when forced to change directions quickly. When he stays under control and keeps his knees bent, is a good tackler in space.

Born Eli Woodard in Philadelphia, Apple was raised by his mother Annie Apple and stepfather Tim Apple in Voorhees, New Jersey, where he attended Eastern Regional High School until graduating in 2013. At the school, the youngster, who had always had a passion to become an NFL cornerback since first glancing at the game on television at age five, would become a five-star recruit during his prep playing days.

ESPN rated him the 11th-best high school player in the nation and he was rated the sixth-best cornerback in the country and the top prospect overall in the state of New Jersey by 247Sports. As a senior, Apple played both sides of the ball. His defensive skills produced 45 tackles, a pair of interceptions and seventeen pass deflections. He also caused three fumbles, as the hard-hitting cornerback also blocked a kick. On the other side of the field, he used his coverage skills to escape the jam, on the way to pulling down 39 receptions for 770 yards and four touchdowns.

It was during his time at Eastern High School that Eli underwent another change. Raised by his stepfather, Tim, since age two, he dropped the Woodard moniker and changed his name to Apple. “I am the man I am today because of his tireless love and commitment to our family,” Eli said in statement announcing his name change. “So it is with great pride and honor to carry his last name. I am truly blessed to be Eli Apple.”

The recruiting momentum that local Rutgers University managed to build with its incoming football class did not carry over to the first potential catch for the 2013 group. The program's loss of head coach Greg Schiano to the NFL six days before National Signing Day did not keep it from landing most of its top targets on February 1st. But defensive back Apple (still called Eli Woodard during the recruiting process), New Jersey's first standout to commit from the class of 2013, decided to pick Ohio State over a group of finalists that included the Scarlet Knights.

The cornerback announced that he had made a verbal commitment, picking Ohio State over Rutgers and Notre Dame after receiving close to 20 offers. The top-rated defensive back, according to Rivals.com, he stated at the time of his decision that even without any coaching changes at Rutgers, he still had set his sights on becoming a Buckeye.

But, that the decision was made easier by the departure of Schiano and his subsequent hiring of Jeff Hafley, Rutgers' recruiting coordinator and defensive backs coach. "I probably wouldn't have committed until June. I really liked coach Schiano and Hafley," the Eastern High standout said. "And Rutgers is close by and all. But Ohio State is where my heart always was."

"Rutgers was a solid possibility for him," said Eastern coach Dan Spittal, adding that former Eastern defensive back Ryan Logan played for the Scarlet Knights. "He has a former teammate there in Logan. But with Greg (Schiano) leaving and coach Hafley leaving, that probably had something to do with Eli not choosing Rutgers." Apple had made unofficial visits to his three finalists and was sold on Ohio State after talking with Urban Meyer, who was entering his first season as the Buckeyes' coach.

"He went to Ohio State a few times and just became enamored with the place," Spittal said. "I guess meeting Urban there really sold him. He coached one of our kids, offensive lineman Phil Trautwein, at Florida. I had a relationship with Urban after meeting him when he spoke at Rutgers last year.

"We weren’t sure with the new staff coming in (at Rutgers) if they were still going to be interested in Eli and obviously they were. But Eli went out there (to Ohio State) this past weekend and he was ready to commit. And he’s satisfied with his decision."

Apple graduated from high school early and after he played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, he enrolled at Ohio State in January, 2013. He spent that season performing on the scout team, biding his time before emerging out of 2014 spring camp. But first, the youngster needed to hone his game.

Apple looked back at the 2013 season as a starting point, but he was also humbled by his first campaign. “Mentally and physically, I wasn’t ready at all,” Apple said, about his 2013 introduction to college football. “I wasn’t really strong enough to play out there. I was getting tossed around a little bit.”

The cornerback also started lagging as the workouts ensued, something that had never been a problem. In high school, he was used to “always being in the front” of wind sprints and other drills, he said. He didn’t have the gas for it at Ohio State — “I really wasn’t operating at full capacity as far as energy” — and finally he found out why. It was an iron deficiency in his blood, a malady the training staff helped him identify, along with the medical staff. “It was something that was getting worse, so it was something that had to get fixed,” Apple said.

Medication was found, and he said he had to take daily to keep it that way. Anyone could see when the treatment started kicking in. After his problem was pinpointed and treated at the start of 2014 spring practice in March, he rose steadily in performance, for example, dazzling the crowd at Student Appreciation Day with some great plays. The rise has carried over. “The more I play, the more experience I’m getting, the more confidence I feel like I’m getting, as well,” Apple said.

Apple also leaned on the tradition at Ohio State of older cornerbacks bringing younger ones along. His mentor was 2014 senior Doran Grant, who Meyer said was playing “at (an) all-Big Ten level” that season. “It’s one of those things where you have to raise your game up a notch every week, because you’ve got somebody like him who just goes so hard and has great preparation,” Apple said. “He’s taught me a lot of things,” such as “every play matters. You can never relax because the play that you do relax is the play the offense is going to attack you on. I’ve learned that (the hard way) a couple of times.

“He’s helped me with different techniques. He’s always on me to be watching film, getting massages (which are available to the team a couple of times each week) — we’re always together all the time, which is a great thing. It has really helped my development.”

As it turns out, the confidence of a cornerback can be measured: It’s the distance between him and the receiver at the snap when press coverage has been called. In that area, Apple showed during 2014 preseason drills that he could step forward. “I’m getting there, for sure,” the redshirt freshman said, prior to the 2014 season opener vs. Navy.

It’s a confidence game, the rules of which change dramatically from high school to college, where the receivers usually are bigger, faster and stronger. Apple was no instant sensation when he arrived at Ohio State in 2013. He had to improve in all facets to start gaining the kind of praise he’s getting from coach Urban Meyer. “He’s playing his best football since he’s been here,” Meyer said as the Buckeyes prepared for the 2014 season.

Apple played a major role in the team going on to win the national championship. He started all but one contest on the fifteen-game schedule, recording three interceptions while breaking up thirteen other tosses. He also posted 5.5 of his total of 53 tackles, behind the line of scrimmage. The Buckeyes would lead the Big Ten Conference with 25 interceptions and 55 pass break-ups, as their secondary was led by Apple’s dominance.

The two-time letter-winner would go on to start all but one of the 28 games he appeared in. As a sophomore, he earned All-American and All-Big Ten Conference honors, producing 33 tackles (23 solos) with two stops-for-loss. He deflected eight passes and intercepted another.

The Buckeyes cornerback proved that he could consistently break up passes when in position, as he also has the athleticism to reach around the receiver and disrupt the action without committing the penalty. When he breaks up those passes, more often it is the result of violent hits right as the ball arrives. While not a valid ball thief, he does have the natural hands to reach out and pluck the ball to make the tough interception.

Teams were very leery to fire the ball into Apple’s territory in 2015. However, he impressed scouts with his outstanding coverage skills, as he not only defended nine passes (including one interception), but only 14-of-67 passes targeted in his area were completed (20.9%). He delivered twenty third-down stops, three more on fourth-down snaps. Proving to be one of the most physical cornerbacks in college, he jammed/rerouted his main pass coverage assignments away from 38 incomplete passes last season, the second-highest total in the NCAA FBS ranks.

Soon after the Buckeyes defeated Notre Dame in the 2016 Fiesta Bowl, Apple announced that he would not be returning to school and had declared for the NFL Draft. “My time at the Ohio State University has prepared me to pursue another childhood dream: playing in the NFL draft. I’ve decided to forgo my last two years of eligibility and enter the NFL draft,” Apple wrote in a statement.

He joined teammates Darron Lee, Joey Bosa, Tyvis Powell, Jalin Marshall, Vonn Bell, Cardale Jones, and Ezekiel Elliott, as Buckeyes underclassmen who declared for the NFL draft. Ohio State finished the season with a record of 12–1 after defeating Notre Dame 44–28 in the Fiesta Bowl. Perhaps fitting, Apple was named defensive MVP of the game with five tackles and one pass break-up.

THE NFL DRAFT REPORT’S EXAMINATION OF THE 2016 NFL DRAFT CORNERBACK ELITE TALENT

Every year, fans become enamored with that great college “pass thief,” the guy who comes up with that big play that has the stands rocking. All too often, those defensive backs have holes in their game that does not get exposed until they are under the watchful eyes of the astute NFL fans. At The NFL Draft Report, we stress production over potential when evaluating talent. We feel that if the athlete can not develop in four years in college, there is doubt that the “porch light” will suddenly come on when they reach the pro ranks.

In this report, I closely break down and examine every statistical aspect that goes into making a quality cornerback. While most teams seem to feel that Florida State’s Jalen Ramsey might be a better fit at free safety, the Seminole is included in this report, along with Clemson’s Mackensie Alexander, Ohio State’s Eli Apple, Florida’s Vernon Hargreaves III and Houston’s William Jackson III – all considered valid first round prospects. The link to this article could be found here;

http://nfldraftreport.sportsblog.com/posts/14394009/the-nfl-draft-report-s--by-the-numbers--series---before-an-nfl-general-manager-drafts-a-cornerback-in-the-first-round--they-might-want-to-check-out-these-numbers.html

APPLE SCOUTING REPORT

Body Structure…Apple has a muscular physique with defined upper body tone, tight waist and hips, good bubble, strong thighs, knotted calves and minimal body fat. His frame has room for additional growth without it affecting his very good timed speed. He has a large wingspan that he uses effectively to wrap and secure and the large, natural hands to make the interception. He possesses nice chest thickness and is a rangy type with tight skin and good biceps development, along with defined knot in his calves.

Athletic Ability…Apple has the ideal size you look for in a lock-down cornerback. He displays incredible athleticism and shows above average body control. It is evident that Apple is blessed with a load of athletic talent. He has exceptional quickness and speed, in addition to doing a fine job of keeping his feet on the move. He shows the agility and balance to redirect and the change of direction skills to work his way quickly to the perimeter. He has smooth hips and shows explosion out of his plant. He is smooth in his movements and runs with ease staying on the hip of the receiver working up field. He also has that strong hand punch to consistently reroute his opponent (see 2015 Northern Illinois, Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois and Michigan games).

Apple has that rare combination of power and quickness needed to excel in run force (made 18 tackles vs. the run last years, posting three touchdown-saving stops). He shows suddenness attacking the ball in front of him and quick feet to come up quick to plug the rush lanes or give a forceful shove on receivers trying to hug the sidelines. He has above average acceleration on deep routes and the ability to stay on the hip of receivers. He has excellent body control working in the box, doing a good job of using his hands to prevent blockers from attacking his body. For a player of his size, he runs with a quick stride.

The Buckeye can be explosive in and out of his breaks and looks very fluid changing direction, doing a nice job with his hip flip to accelerate and close on the play or mirror the receiver throughout the route (see 2015 Virginia Tech, Penn State and Illinois. He has the range and catch-up speed to recover when beaten and also shows very good jumping ability going after the contested pass. He has the flexibility and movement skills to slip through and avoid blocks in run support and is quick to redirect in backside pursuit.

Football Sense…Apple is a smart player vs. the pass, and shows no hesitation closing on the ball, especially when coming up into the box. He plays with good instincts and keeps his head on a swivel working in the zone and you can see that he is decisive getting through trash to locate the ball carrier (see 2015 Virginia Tech, Penn State and Notre Dame games). He is alert in zone coverage, doing a fine job of handling the switch-off. He is best when making plays in front of him, but shows the vision to track the ball over his shoulder on deep routes.

Apple is a good student of the game who puts in extra hours in the film room to study his opponents. He is very capable of handling the mental aspect of the game, demonstrating Ike Taylor-like (former Steeler) skills for his ability to scan the field and find the pigskin in flight. His knowledge of every secondary position could see him bring immediate value as a nickel back at the next level, but with the way he plays in run support along with fluid moves in his retreat playing in the zone, he could also provide quality production as a free safety/nickel back in sub packages, as he has more than enough range to play safety and is capable of making the coverage call and checks.

Competitiveness…Apple is very physical in press coverage, as his hand punch can not only consistently reroute receivers, but also shock and jolt bigger blockers with its power (on 67 passes targeted into his area in 2015, he rerouted/jammed receivers on 38 of those attempts). He is best when matched up against the opponent’s primary target, as he seems to relish the challenge. He plays until the whistle and performs with an aggressive, hard-hitting style. Rather than get frustrated when opposing offenses stood away from his territory in 2015, he has just gone about his business and the result was over one-third of his tackles happened at the opposite end of the field (of the 67 receptions by an opponent he was involved in, only ten were caught by his man coverage assignment throughout the 2015 season). He is not the type that will hang his head for long if beaten and he is a true competitor who will extend himself to make the play on effort.

Apple cares about one thing – winning and has no concerns about his stats. He just comes to play and has a solid work ethic. The coaches use him as a role model for the younger players to emulate. He has a quiet mentality to him on the field, but will not hesitate to get vocal in the huddle. He has added impressive strength to his game the last two years and is not the type to shy away from hard work in the training room. He will do whatever is needed to improve performance and has enough moxie and makeup to make the secondary calls.

Key and Diagnostic Skills…Apple is developing good timing and a feel to make plays on the ball. He shows excellent zone instincts and is quick to read and react to plays in front of him. He has solid ball anticipation on combo routes, but there are times he will rely more on technique than his athleticism to make the play. He is more alert in man coverage, breaking well on the ball, but when he plays in control and does not try to gamble so much, he is alert to pocket movement and does a good job of reading the quarterback. He has improved his timing and hand/eye coordination to get his hand up for the pass deflection, showing the potential to develop into a standout ball thief. He hits with a thud and is one of the better run defenders in the draft at his position.

Some teams prefer Apple as a boundary corner, reasoning that his hitting style, strength and range operating in the deep secondary might be suited for that position. But, it also has to deal with his excellence in zone coverage. He has a good feel for the quarterback and plays the center of the field with excellent range and vision. His field intelligence is evident in his ability to lend support vs. the run and understand the assignments of all of his team-mates. He is quick to locate the ball and excels when asked to work inside the box in run force. He has the uncanny knack for sifting out the ball and is rarely caught out of position.

Apple plays the ball very well and knows how to work through the receiver to bat the ball away or generate a strong enough hand punch to lock his man up at the line of scrimmage (see 2015 Northern Illinois, Maryland, Rutgers and Michigan games). He knows how to recognize blocking schemes and it is very difficult to fool him at the snap with misdirection or play action. He is not the type who will guess in zone coverage, knowing what he has to do and completing that assignment. His ability and knowledge of the defense will see him do a very good job of making adjustment calls. He is not the type that will get a little bit too confident in man coverage, as he refuses to yield a big cushion and prefers to stay closer on his assignments’ hips. With his football instincts, field vision and quick reaction to plays in front of him, he can be a shutdown and physical cornerback in the Ike Taylor (ex-Pittsburgh) mold at the next level.

Man Coverage Ability…Apple has outstanding closing speed and excellent hip flip to mirror the receiver throughout the route. He is very aggressive closing on the ball and has the hand punch and jolt to easily jam even tight ends at the line. He times his hits well and shows fluid turning motion to keep relationship and ride the hip of the receiver coming out of his breaks. He plays tight on his assignment coming off the line of scrimmage. He is consistent in his technique when backing off and even when he falls off his man on his bump technique, he is quick to recover. He is becoming very effective playing the trail, cover or cushion, showing good plant and drive ability to mirror the receiver. He is very smooth in his movements and has the speed to stay on his opponent. He has very good closing ability and is very active with his hands in order to press (Big Ten-best 38 reroutes/ jams in 2015).

The Ohio State system allows Apple to press often and he has the punch to impede the forward progress of the receiver at the line of scrimmage. He does a very good job of using his upper body strength and hands to jam, and while he plays with great confidence, he has had very good success when he tries to challenge his coverage assignment going up for the ball in flight (has a quick, yet fluid elevation process). He would much rather play his man coverage assignment tight, rather than allow a big cushion. He looks agile and well-balanced adjusting to low throws (has good scoop ability to haul in the low throws at the shoestrings) and times his leaps well along with knowing how to use his long arms to reach around to deflect the pass and is smart enough to know not to bite on play action or eyeball the quarterback too long.

Few teams have had much success vs. him working underneath, and he does have the acceleration to quickly recover if beaten. His size makes him capable of handling the larger receivers and most tight ends and he is quick to use his size to his advantage, as receivers struggle to shield the ball from him after the catch. He can reroute, flip and run, showing crisp stop-and-go action. Whether playing the man tight or loose, Apple somehow manages to be in good position to make the play.

Zone Coverage Ability…Apple shows good ball anticipation skills and can easily read the quarterback. He gets a good break on the ball, but needs to demonstrate better anticipation on combo routes. He will sometimes get too aggressive, causing him to lose relationship with his coverage assignment (see 2015 Western Michigan game). He shows the ability to sink under deep throws and plays like a veteran with good patience, as it is very rare to see him commit too early. He could eventually become a safety later in his career - for not only does he have strong hands, but he knows how to use his reach to get around the receiver to dislodge the ball (see 2015 Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois games). He is not the type that a receiver will be able to con and he never bites on play action. Still, he does show enough confidence that if he needs to, he knows he can gamble and jump a route.

Apple excels when it comes to spacing, doing a good job of breaking down and closing on plays in front of him. He uses his hands well to jam his opponent at the line and he is very alert when handling the switch-off assignment. He has the short area burst to make plays underneath and could eventually grow into a safety in the Brian Dawkins (ex-Denver) mold one day. He gets good depth in his pass drops and when reacting to the ball, he has a good concept for taking proper angles. He is good at reading and reacting to the quarterback and won’t bit on play action fakes. He is alert and sees threats, doing a nice job of quickly planting and driving on the ball. To date, Apple has not allowed any other receiver to come free when aligned in zone coverage.

Backpedal Technique…Apple is usually smooth in his pedal, showing a burst out of transition, but only when he keeps his pad level down. When he gets too tall, his footwork tends to get sloppy, relying then on his impressive speed to bail him out. He can really stick and close on the ball when he recognizes the play. He often plays his man tight, turning and running up field with good urgency. He is very consistent with his pad level and footwork, along with demonstrating the quick feet to recover. He shows fluid hips to plant and drive. The thing you see on film is his ability to close with a sudden burst.

Apple shows good hip snap and will not take extra steps in his backpedal. He stays under control in transition and has the quick feet to burst out and break on the ball with urgency. He looks fluid and can flip his hips, showing better change of direction than most defenders of his height. He hunkers down well in his backpedal and his loose hips let him turn and run with the receivers. You can see on game film that there is no leakage or wasted motion in his retreat. He shows no wasted motion, perhaps due to very loose hips that gets him out of his pedal in an instant.

Ball Reaction Skills…Apple can break and make plays on the ball in front of him. He is also very effective handling his assignments on combo routes. He has a very quick plant-and-drive step closing on the receiver and can be explosive doing this. He has made good strides improving his timing, and has a good feel for receivers before they can attack the coverage. He is very quick at reading deep routes, enough that he is confident to gamble and jump on the receiver’s double move. He has the valid speed and closing burst needed to get to the reception point on deep throws.

Apple has a decent total of interceptions (four) and pass break-ups (21), but what truly stands out is that he stays tight on a receiver’s hip, doing a very nice job of redirecting his man or jamming him at the line to prevent that opponent from progressing in the route (53-of-67 passes targeted into his area were incomplete after Apple applied pressure on the play).

The reason why so many of those passes thrown to receivers in his area fail to reach its target is due to his ability to jam or reroute his man with ease. He is quick to come up in the box and fill the rush lanes. He also excels at closing on the ball, showing the burst to make plays in front of him and the lateral movement to string plays wide. He has a good short area burst and closes with urgency. When he plays the ball, he will not hesitate to compete for it in traffic. He is also efficient at tracking the ball in flight. He times his leaps well and will make every effort to get to the ball. He is not the type who will get into trouble by allowing the receiver too much cushion, as he might bait them at times, but is equally effective at covering opponents trying to sit underneath to move the chains, as most offensive coordinators familiar with Apple were “smart” in 2015 to not go for the “home run” ball over the cornerback. He simply has that outstanding burst out of his pedal to consistently get to the ball (see his numbers on the Player Comparison Charts listed above).

Range and Recovery Skills…This is where Apple excels. When he does lose relationship with receivers on deep routes, he has confidence in his speed to catch up when his opponent gets behind him. He shows an above average trail technique and can cover ground quickly. His stop and go quickness is above average. His speed lets him cover up for mistakes, as his 4.52 timing on grass is the same when wearing his pads.

Perhaps because of the his aggressive nature, you will rarely ever see Apple give up too much cushion, as he is the type that prefers to stay on the hip of the receiver going deep. He has more than enough acceleration to recover if than man does manage to get behind him. He is best when covering ground with the ball in the air, as he knows how to track it and takes good angles to shorten the field. He has the burst to get back into deeper play. He really enjoys chasing down ball carriers on the corner, making him an excellent “eighth man” playing in the box (made three touchdown-saving tackles on 18 running plays last year. With his outstanding range, you will expect him to gamble often, but he likes the physicality of bumping and rerouting receivers. To truly appreciate him, you have to see his consistency covering ground with the ball in the air.

Leaping Ability…Apple has very good body control to run, jump and adjust to the ball in the air. He seems to have natural hands for the interception – just not enough picks to fully evaluate. He times his leaps well and gets good elevation going up for the ball, but will use his body more than try to extend for the ball outside his frame. He shows good ability to track the ball and adjust to it accordingly while in flight. He does this with a competitive attitude and knowing that if he will not make the interception, he can compensate by knocking the ball away at its high point.

Apple is fearless going for the ball in a crowd. He times his leaps well (38-inch vertical jump) and does a good job of attempting to catch it with hands extended away from the framework. His size and excellent elevation ability let him win most contested balls from the taller receivers. He can even do a good job of jumping on the run, as he is very fluid making body adjustments when he attempts to go vertical. He also appears to possess natural hands, along with the ability to extend and catch outside his framework (hands are receiver-like quality). He loves to fight for the ball, knowing that his athletic ability will let him get to throws even with opponents draped all over him.

Hands…Do not be fooled by his only four interceptions - while Apple will extend and snatch away from the frame, it is his natural hands and timing that could see him develop into a quality pass thief. If he gets his hands on the ball, it is usually caught by the cornerback. He is also very effective at using his hands to jam and reroute receivers at the line of scrimmage. His hand strength and activeness also come into play when he uses them to stave off and slip past blocks when working near trash. If he gets his hands on the ball, he will usually convert that opportunity into a turnover.

Run Defense…Apple hits like a linebacker and seems to relish playing inside the box. He stays low in his pads, extends his arms properly and keeps his base wide to wrap and secure. He has good body control in space and uses his size well to collide with the ball carrier. He also demonstrates the ability to keep his hands active in attempts to shed. He takes good angles to the ball, especially along the corners. He is better than most other college cornerbacks at getting involved vs. the run, as he will leverage and come to the line with little delay. He is a classic wrap-up tackler who works hard to dislodge the ball from his opponent. You have to love a cornerback that can contribute vs. the run and Apple has a lot of moxie, as you will never see him shy away from contact.

Tackling Ability…Apple delivers excellent pop behind his hits. He plays with good knee bend and has enough strength to take on the lead blocker and clog the rush lane. He is not afraid to face up to offensive linemen and will do anything he can to get the ball carrier to the ground. He is a truly violent striker who will not hesitate to square up and “put his hat” on the opponent. When he gets too upright, he does revert to arm- and grab-tackling, though.

When Apple keeps his base wide, pad level low and arms extended, he excels as a wrap-up tackler. He has enough strength to drive back the ball carriers and receivers on initial contact. He is good at making the open field tackles, showing little regard for his own body in order to make the play. He is very dependable working in the box, playing with good aggression to take on and shed blocks working through trash. He is very active with his hands when trying to shed.

When squared up in tight quarters, he has classic wrap-up technique that will again remind you of Ike Taylor and Charles Woodson. He takes good angles to tackle and will drag down with efficiency. He might not pile up tackles in bunches, but you have to look at his Player Performance Charts to really appreciate what he has to offer behind his hits (more and more often, offensive coordinators game-planned away from Apple’s area in 2015, as more than 30% of his tackles came away from his assigned area).

CAREER NOTES

Apple has started all but one of the 28 games that he appeared in for the Buckeyes…He finished his two-year tenure with 86 tackles (56 solos) that included 7.5 stops for losses of 15 yards…Broke up 21 passes and intercepted four others for 16 yards in returns…Recovered two fumbles and caused another.

2015 SEASON…Rated the top cornerback prospect in the draft (Jalen Ramey was rated as a free safety) by The NFL Draft Report, the All-Big Ten Conference first-team cornerback also earned first-team All-American honors from that scouting information service…Starting every game, the red-shirt sophomore posted 33 tackles (23 solos) with two stops for losses of four yards, as teams geared their offensive game plan far and away from the scrappy tackler…Also deflected eight passes and picked off another for an 8-yard runback…Allowed only fourteen receptions on 67 passes targeted into his area (20.9%), as he led the league and nation’s cornerbacks by rerouting his coverage assignments away from 38 of those attempts (56.72%)…Opponents gained 104 yards from those fourteen grabs, an average of 1.55 yards per attempt and 7.43 yards per catch…Allowed just four first downs receiving, posting twenty third-down stops and three more on fourth-down snaps… Came out of his assigned area to delivered four touchdown-saving tackles vs. the aerial game…In run force, he produced eighteen tackles, including three touchdown-saving hits that included two for losses and one at the line of scrimmage for no gain.

2015 SEASON GAME ANALYSIS

Virginia Tech… The 42-24 season opener win extends Ohio State’s streak to fourteen consecutive victories, thanks to the heroics of their sophomore cornerback, as Apple twice rerouted receivers away from deep passes…Late in the third quarter, he recovered a fumble by tailback J.C. Coleman that Ohio State would convert into a 53-yard end-around touchdown run by Braxton Miller to stake the Buckeyes to a 28-17 lead…Man Coverage Assignment-Apple did not allow Isaiah Ford to catch any of the four passes targeted to the receiver…Team Defensive Impact-Ohio State allowed 128 yards, ten first downs and no touchdowns on 44 carries (2.91 ypc), as the opponent completed 15-of-25 passes (60.00%) for 192 yards, three touchdowns and one interception, finishing the day with 320 yards on a total of 69 plays (4.64 yards per attempt).

Northern Illinois…Apple delivered four tackles, but it was his interception return for eight yards five minutes into the game that set up Ohio State’s first scoring drive, good for a 31-yard field goal… Man Coverage Assignment-Apple did not allow Tommy Lewis to catch any of the six passes targeted to the receiver, rerouting his opponent away from three throws, as Lewis dropped another toss… Team Defensive Impact-Ohio State allowed 110 yards, six first downs and one touchdown on 43 carries (2.56 ypc), as the opponent completed 14-of-31 passes (45.16%) for 80 yards, no touchdowns and two interceptions, finishing the day with 190 yards on a total of 74 plays (2.57 yards per attempt).

Western Michigan…Apple recorded a season-high six tackles, but was flagged twice, including once for pass interference…He dropped Daniel Braverman for a 3-yard loss after a second quarter catch in the backfield and killed both of WMU’s final drives by deflecting a third-&-12 pass with 3:36 left to play and then a fourth-&-goal toss on the game’s final snap…Man Coverage Assignment-Apple allowed three catches for 24 yards by Corey Davis, twice rerouting the receiver away from throws while posting two third-down hits and another on a fourth-down snap…Team Defensive Impact-Ohio State allowed 169 yards, eleven first downs and no touchdowns on 41 carries (4.12 ypc), as the opponent completed 18-of-33 passes (54.55%) for 169 yards, two touchdowns and one interception, finishing the day with 338 yards on a total of 74 plays (4.57 yards per attempt).

Indiana…Apple’s heroics again saved a game, as he broke up a fourth-&-goal pass by Zander Diamont on the final play of a 34-27 decision…Man Coverage Assignment-Apple allowed one catch for 14 yards by Ricky Jones, twice rerouting the receiver away from throws while posting two third-down hits and another on a fourth-down snap…Team Defensive Impact-Ohio State allowed 176 yards, five first downs and three touchdowns on 55 carries (3.20 ypc), as the opponent completed 17-of-36 passes (47.22%) for 226 yards, no touchdowns and no interceptions, finishing the day with 402 yards on a total of 91 plays (4.42 yards per attempt).

Penn State…Apple only made three tackles, but one was a big one – taking down Saquon Barkley before the ball carrier could get into the end zone on a second quarter 18-yard run…His fourth-&-8 pressure of the pocket saw Christian Hackenberg try to escape before the quarterback was sacked by the Buckeyes’ Chris Worley for a 3-yard loss later in the first half…He also saved a touchdown when he raced to the opposite side of the field to tackle Chris Godwin after the receiver beat OSU’s Vonn Bell on a 56-yard pass play…Man Coverage Assignment-Apple did not allow Akeel Lynch to catch any passes, twice recording touchdown-saving tackles…Team Defensive Impact-Ohio State allowed 195 yards, eight first downs and no touchdowns on 40 carries (4.88 ypc), as the opponent completed 7-of-13 passes (53.85%) for 120 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions, finishing the day with 315 yards on a total of 53 plays (5.94 yards per attempt).

Rutgers…Apple recorded just one tackle, coming on an 18-yard catch by Leonte Caroo, but he rerouted the receiver away from four other tosses, including a trio that killed drives on third-down snaps…Man Coverage Assignment-Apple held Leonte Caroo to one catch on five targets, delivering three third-down stops…Team Defensive Impact-Ohio State allowed 104 yards, six first downs and no touchdowns on 29 carries (3.59 ypc), as the opponent completed 13-of-27 passes (48.15%) for 189 yards, one touchdown and one interception, finishing the day with 293 yards on a total of 56 plays (5.23 yards per attempt).

Illinois…The only pass that was completed vs. Apple saw the cornerback tackle tailback Josh Ferguson for a 1-yard loss…He held his assignment, Malik Turner to no receptions, rerouting the receiver away from five tosses, including one that ended a third quarter series on a third-down snap…Man Coverage Assignment-Apple did not allow Malik Turner to catch any of the five passes targeted to his opponent…Team Defensive Impact-Ohio State allowed 20 yards, four first downs and no touchdowns on 25 carries (0.80 ypc), as the opponent completed 23-of-47 passes (48.94%) for 241 yards, no touchdowns and no interceptions, finishing the day with 261 yards on a total of 72 plays (3.63 yards per attempt).

Michigan…Both of Apple’s tackles came at the opposite side of the field, saving potential touchdowns after Wolverine receivers had beaten other OSU coverage defenders…He also rerouted his assignments away from six throws and wreaked havoc in the pocket to force a bad snap that was recovered for a 2-yard loss by Michigan as time expired…Earlier in the second quarter, he twice denied Amara Darboh opportunities to get to third-&-goal and fourth-&-goal pass plays…Man Coverage Assignment-Apple made two touchdown-saving tackles and twice denied Amara Darboh opportunities to catch passes in the end zone, rerouting his opponent away from six throws – two on third-down snaps and two more on fourth-down plays…Team Defensive Impact-Ohio State allowed 573 yards, three first downs and no touchdowns on 25 carries (2.28 ypc), as the opponent completed 25-of-47 passes (53.19%) for 307 yards, one touchdown and one interception, finishing the day with 354 yards on a total of 72 plays (4.92 yards per attempt).

Notre Dame (Fiesta Bowl)…Apple was named the game’s Most Valuable Player, as he not only recorded five tackles, but came up in run support to crush C.J. Procise and prevent a score near the goal line…He killed one drive by rerouting Chris Brown away from a third-&-10 pass play late in the first half…He also frustrated All-American Will Fuller, rerouting the receiver away from three deep throws in the first quarter.

2014 SEASON…Apple earned Freshman All-American honors from The NFL Draft Report, Athlon’s and Scout.com…The boundary cornerback started fourteen of the fifteen games he appeared in…Recorded three interceptions with thirteen pass deflections and delivered 53 tackles (33 solos) that included 5.5 stops for losses of eleven yards…Apple did not start against Michigan State because of a minor leg issue, but after continuing to loosen up on the sidelines, he was in the game by the time of the team's second defensive series…Recorded first collegiate interception vs. Virginia Tech and also had interceptions vs. Maryland and in the College Football Playoff national championship game vs. Oregon. He intercepted Marcus Mariota's final throw as a collegian; only the fourth interception thrown by the Heisman Trophy winner all season...Had some of his best tackling numbers during the Buckeyes' playoff run with five against both Wisconsin and Alabama and a career-high seven vs. Oregon.

AGILITY TESTS…4.40 in the 40-yard dash…2.59 10-yard dash…1.53 20-yard dash…4.08 20-yard shuttle…7.00 three-cone drill…38-inch vertical jump…10’-04” broad jump…Bench pressed 225 pounds 13 times…31 3/8-inch arm length…9 3/8-inch hands…76 3/8-inch wingspan.

HIGH SCHOOL…Apple attended Eastern (Vorhees, N.J.) High School, playing football for head coach Dan Spittal…ESPN rated him the 11th-best high school player in the nation and he was rated the sixth-best cornerback in the country and the top prospect overall in the state of New Jersey by 247Sports…As a senior, Apple played both sides of the ball. His defensive skills produced 45 tackles, a pair of interceptions and seventeen pass deflections. He also caused three fumbles, as the hard-hitting cornerback also blocked a kick… On the other side of the field, he used his coverage skills to escape the jam, on the way to pulling down 39 receptions for 770 yards and four touchdowns.

PERSONAL…Apple is a Sports Industry major…Born 8/09/95 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania…Son of Annie and Tim Apple…Resides in Vorhees, New Jersey.

http://nfldraftreport.sportsblog.com/posts/16870661/the-nfl-draft-report-s--final-analysis--series---the-big-apple-welcomes-eli-apple-to-the-big-blue-family.html

"Only 20.9% completion rate on passes his way!

In his first season, they completed 10-of-59 targets vs. him for 94 yards with 22 reroutes, 13 PBUs & 3 picks.

PI/Holding?  

nflscouting : 9:28 am : link : reply

Officially, Apple was called for pass interference just once - vs. Western Michigan. He also had just two holding calls, one vs. WMU & another in the Fiesta Bowl.
Probably no concern for his coach though, as he was named the MVP of the game (held Will Fuller to one catch for 5 yards before they switched him off & Fuller caught 5 vs. Bell) & he made 9 plays vs. the pass vs. WMU, killing one drive on 4th down & two on third down.
If that is PI/holding problems, I can live with it"

"Only 20.9% completion rate on passes his way!

In his first season, they completed 10-of-59 targets vs. him for 94 yards with 22 reroutes, 13 PBUs & 3 picks.

These stats definitely give me some optimism. A 20% completion rate is pretty amazing. And it seems like a good percentage of his incompletions are the result of pass breakups. I don't care a ton about the picks thing. Watching his tape he struck me as a guy who will never have high INT counts. He plays far too safe. Which is one reason I prefer him to Hargraves. We just signed Jenkins who is known for being a huge risk taker. We don't want two risk takers on the field at once. We'd have far to many blown coverages.

The more I think about the pick the more it grows on me. So looking at the pick in a vacuum. I didn't like it because I felt Apple was a later guy. But the more I think about it, really after the Top 10 guys in this draft, there was a fall off and then this big mushy pile of like 30 guys who could all have slid in from 11-32. I think Apple and Hargraves were both part of that pile. When I finally looked at it the following way is when I started coming around to the pick:

1.10 - NYG: Eli Apple - CB - Ohio State

1.11 - TBB: Vernon Hargraves - CB - Florida - I just went over why I actually prefer Apple here. Apparently a lot of information came out this morning that most people had Apple higher on their boards anyway. So Jerry can't make this pick.

1.12 - NOS: Sheldon Rankins - DT - Louisville - Rankins was a great fit but I don't think the Giants were ever targeting DT in the 1st round. There's SOOOO much depth at DT in this draft and we actually have decent depth at the DT position. I think we'll take a DT in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. But it was never going to be the 1st round pick.

1.13 - MIA: Laremy Tunsil - OT - Ole Miss - This couldn't be the pick, the Giants don't draft massive character concerns. Especially not with a top 10 pick. It's possible Tunsil ends up being a perennial all pro and the steal of the 2016 draft. It's also possible he's the next Josh Gordon and has worlds of talent but can't stop smoking.

1.14 - OAK: Karl Joseph - S - West Virginia - The Giants were never going Safety in the first round. They're likely not even going Safety in the 2nd round. I think they're happy with their stable of young developing safeties right now.

1.15 - CLE: Corey Coleman - WR - Baylor - You think I was upset initially when Apple was picked? I may have broken my television if they took Coleman @ 10.

1.16 - DET: Taylor Decker - OT - Ohio State - Would have been an even bigger reach than Apple @ 10.

1.17 - ATL: Keanu Neal - SS - Florida - He was a reach for Atlanta at 17. At 10 he would've been the biggest reach in recent first round history.

1.18 - IND: Ryan Kelly - C - Alabama - We definitely didn't need a Center.

1.19 - BUF: Shaq Lawson - DE - He could have possibly been the pick. Edge rusher is definitely a need. But it would've been a reach. A lot of people are sour on Lawson and for good reason. He had one season of production under his belt.

1.20 - NYJ: Darron Lee - OLB - Position of need? Yes. Would have been a reach at 10? Yes. What bothers me about Lee though, and I'm sure the Giants saw this as well is that he seems to have issues in coverage against TEs. Which isn't want you want in your future WILL.

So looking at the next.. 10 picks after the Giants, who else should they have taken that would have been the "right" pick? There was just as much a reason for Apple as any of these other guys. I don't think there was a single pick outside of "maybe" Tunsil that would have pleased fans. And lets be honest here, we need a RT not a LT and you don't take a RT in the Top 10. They can come in tonight and take someone like Jason Spriggs at 40 and put him at RT and be a much better team for it.

I'm also happy they didn't trade up to get Conklin or Floyd. This is a super deep draft. There are starting caliber players in the 3rd and 4th round which is rare. Throwing away one of those picks would have been a mistake.

He's faster and bigger than Hargreaves. With them so comparable, I say give me Apple then even though he's less polished. Apple wins in the areas that can't be taught.

I've been hearing that the Dolphins were going to take him over Tunsil if there at 12.

I'd have liked Conklin. Floyd, there are just too many flags with his difficulty keeping weight on. I think he has bust written all over him.

The Giants taking Apple over Hargreaves isn’t really a surprise because they typically like bigger guys

As others have stated it would have been great to move down and get this guy but I have no problem with the player

I have no idea which way they are going to go in the 2nd round but there are four guys I would be happy with. Jack, Dodd, Ragland or Spence.

There might be more but those are the 4 off the top of my head

These stats definitely give me some optimism. A 20% completion rate is pretty amazing. And it seems like a good percentage of his incompletions are the result of pass breakups. I don't care a ton about the picks thing. Watching his tape he struck me as a guy who will never have high INT counts. He plays far too safe. Which is one reason I prefer him to Hargraves. We just signed Jenkins who is known for being a huge risk taker. We don't want two risk takers on the field at once. We'd have far to many blown coverages.

The more I think about the pick the more it grows on me. So looking at the pick in a vacuum. I didn't like it because I felt Apple was a later guy. But the more I think about it, really after the Top 10 guys in this draft, there was a fall off and then this big mushy pile of like 30 guys who could all have slid in from 11-32. I think Apple and Hargraves were both part of that pile. When I finally looked at it the following way is when I started coming around to the pick:

1.10 - NYG: Eli Apple - CB - Ohio State

1.11 - TBB: Vernon Hargraves - CB - Florida - I just went over why I actually prefer Apple here. Apparently a lot of information came out this morning that most people had Apple higher on their boards anyway. So Jerry can't make this pick.

1.12 - NOS: Sheldon Rankins - DT - Louisville - Rankins was a great fit but I don't think the Giants were ever targeting DT in the 1st round. There's SOOOO much depth at DT in this draft and we actually have decent depth at the DT position. I think we'll take a DT in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. But it was never going to be the 1st round pick.

1.13 - MIA: Laremy Tunsil - OT - Ole Miss - This couldn't be the pick, the Giants don't draft massive character concerns. Especially not with a top 10 pick. It's possible Tunsil ends up being a perennial all pro and the steal of the 2016 draft. It's also possible he's the next Josh Gordon and has worlds of talent but can't stop smoking.

1.14 - OAK: Karl Joseph - S - West Virginia - The Giants were never going Safety in the first round. They're likely not even going Safety in the 2nd round. I think they're happy with their stable of young developing safeties right now.

1.15 - CLE: Corey Coleman - WR - Baylor - You think I was upset initially when Apple was picked? I may have broken my television if they took Coleman @ 10.

1.16 - DET: Taylor Decker - OT - Ohio State - Would have been an even bigger reach than Apple @ 10.

1.17 - ATL: Keanu Neal - SS - Florida - He was a reach for Atlanta at 17. At 10 he would've been the biggest reach in recent first round history.

1.18 - IND: Ryan Kelly - C - Alabama - We definitely didn't need a Center.

1.19 - BUF: Shaq Lawson - DE - He could have possibly been the pick. Edge rusher is definitely a need. But it would've been a reach. A lot of people are sour on Lawson and for good reason. He had one season of production under his belt.

1.20 - NYJ: Darron Lee - OLB - Position of need? Yes. Would have been a reach at 10? Yes. What bothers me about Lee though, and I'm sure the Giants saw this as well is that he seems to have issues in coverage against TEs. Which isn't want you want in your future WILL.

So looking at the next.. 10 picks after the Giants, who else should they have taken that would have been the "right" pick? There was just as much a reason for Apple as any of these other guys. I don't think there was a single pick outside of "maybe" Tunsil that would have pleased fans. And lets be honest here, we need a RT not a LT and you don't take a RT in the Top 10. They can come in tonight and take someone like Jason Spriggs at 40 and put him at RT and be a much better team for it.

I'm also happy they didn't trade up to get Conklin or Floyd. This is a super deep draft. There are starting caliber players in the 3rd and 4th round which is rare. Throwing away one of those picks would have been a mistake.
Great post Khy! None of the guys you have listed (including Apple) make a fan say "hell yeah that's who I wanted"

The Titans had the picks to burn but they [SIZE=10.5pt]traded a 1st, 2nd, 3rd for Jack Conklin. No way could the Giants afford to do that.[/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread