What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 New York Giants Thread (1 Viewer)

Hitdog42, a BBI poster that is supposed to have contacts in the organization, correctly said it would be Apple when Conklin and Floyd were still on the board. He has said the TE Henry is a strong contender for the Giants in the 2nd.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=535116

###### info on Eli Apple from Rams front office connection

NYG27 : 11:20 am

Long time buddy of mine works for the Rams front office. He's the guy I got the info that the Giants were interested in trading for Orlando Pace in 2005, which I posted here on BBI several days before the media reported on it.

Most times we talk, it's about non-football topics unless it has something to do related to the Giants. So last night I sent him a text message asking for two things.

1 - What was his thoughts on Eli Apple?
2 - Did he think Apple would have been around if the Giants traded down 5-7 spots and gotten an extra pick?

Here is his reply.....

Quote:

scouts ranked him as the top cb on our board with ramsey higher as the top s. eli was part of our discussions before we traded up. several scouts said he might not last till 15 and don't think he would have been there if ny traded down

Like to see the Giants trade up for Ragland the way they did for Collins last year. Ragland would be the best linebacker the Giants have had in @ least 10 years.

2 big Bama bangers up the middle would be nice.

Schefter is saying RB Derrick Henry

Raanan and BBI insider Hitdog42 are saying TE Hunter Henry
I'd take Jack, Dodd, Ragland, Spence, D Henry or Hunter Henry  but knowing the Giants ... they won't  if they're available

Hate both their picks! Sick to my stomach watching Ragland go the next pick.

Regardless of how these guys turn out, a 3rd Corner and a 3rd receiver are not going to make a difference this season 

Disgusted !!!!! Reese makes me puke!!!!

I like the Sterling pick.  

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN 9s10 seconds agoJerry Reese on WR Sterling Shepard: "Just everything you want in a slot wide receiver. ... He's NFL-ready right now."

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 53s53 seconds ago

The #Giants pick #Oklahoma WR Sterling Shepard at No. 40. I had more OCs praise him, unsolicited, as a future pro than any other player.

Regardless of how these guys turn out, a 3rd Corner and a 3rd receiver are not going to make a difference this season 

lol I was going to post "Monk will hate this one too." Decided to click back a page to see if you already posted and there it is.

I like both players they picked, although I would have preferred they take a chance on Tunsil or trade down and get extra picks and take Lee.  That said, I think Apple has great upside so I am optimistic he can eventually replace DRC (who is 30 years old).  You can't have too many good CBs.  I like Shepard too.  Good player and WR was as much of a need as OT and LB.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Couple of things[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]1.    [/SIZE]The Giants will be playing football in the NFL beyond this season

[SIZE=10.5pt]2.    [/SIZE]3 WR sets are becoming more and more common in the NFL so these guys will be given a chance to make a difference this season 

[SIZE=10.5pt]1.    [/SIZE]The Giants will be playing football in the NFL beyond this season

[SIZE=10.5pt]2.    [/SIZE]3 WR sets are becoming more and more common in the NFL so these guys will be given a chance to make a difference this season 
I suspect after the SB wins, Monk complained that they'd be picking last.

I like both players they picked, although I would have preferred they take a chance on Tunsil or trade down and get extra picks and take Lee.  That said, I think Apple has great upside so I am optimistic he can eventually replace DRC (who is 30 years old).  You can't have too many good CBs.  I like Shepard too.  Good player and WR was as much of a need as OT and LB.
Yes you can ... when you don't have any LBs and have huge holes in your oline you can have too many CBs.

This is hands down the worst Giants draft I have ever seen ... top 3 picks and they haven't drafted 1 player who will help them this season.  

Dude is a ballhawk! 17 career interceptions 
close look shows a player with below average man cover skills and a lack of awareness in zone coverage. An even greater concern is that too many big plays were allowed because he busted coverage or failed or to execute. 

WEAKNESSES

Instincts and awareness in coverage will scare coaches when they study the tape. Allowed receivers to get way behind him multiple times against BYU. Undisciplined. Seems to lose track of targets around him and can be baited to vacate his deep responsibilities by crossing routes in front of him. Allowed 10 touchdowns over last three years. 

He struggles a bit in the tackle game. A safety has to tackle. He's your last line of defense. So, I love the ball skills, but want to see him tackle." -- Mike Mayock

Dude Sukz 

They will be picking high again next season.

3rd receiver in 3 WR sets is not going to help the Giants. Eli threw for 4400 yards and a career best 35 TDs last season

They can't run because their Oline and RBs suk and their LBs are the worst in the NFL 

Monk isn't off. You guys need LBers in the worst way.
Can't argue. The team is so bad, it has holes or a lack of depth in almost every position.

Apple fills a hole, need 3 CBs as starters in the league these days. Apple was the #1CB by many scouts. (Ramsey was the #1S). Many of the analysts say Hargreaves, but more scouts seem to like Apple. And I'll take the taller, faster guy over the shorter and slower one when they are so closely rated.

Shepard fills a big need. Can't count on Cruz and need to get younger.

Darian Thompson seems like another guy to compete. Can't claim he'll beat out Jackson or Berhe. Maybe they put him back there on passing downs. But till it gets locked up need to keep taking shots at finding someone.

Hopefully some of the FA's at LB step up and can overachieve with the strengthening of the Dline and DB's. Can't fix every hole in one off-season. Bad past drafts have gotten them in that spot.

I'm glad they didn't get Floyd, I think he has bust written all over him.

Next years draft is RB heavy with a few that are as good as Elliot. I'm good if they wait till then to take an early round RB.

Monk isn't off. You guys need LBers in the worst way.
Been that way for a long time. It's simply a position they don't place a high value on.

They put much more value on the front and back ends and figure they can get by with ordinary guys at LB

That being said Robinson and Kennard both have talent at the LB position ...they have health issues

The guy we picked up from Miami something Sheppard has been a solid LB 

Gotta be looking the right side of the OL or LB now.   BJ Goodson? Everyone needs one.    
To late for linebacker ... It was served up for them and they blew that big time !!!

I'll  take Christian Westerman or Jordan Howard RB

Gotta be looking the right side of the OL or LB now.   BJ Goodson? Everyone needs one.    

New York Giants 4th Round Pick: LB B.J. Goodson

Good call. I like him better than Ragland, who went in the 2nd.

Actually changing my stance on this pick. I  think this is their best pick so far considering it's the 4th round and Goodson could actually already be the best LB on the team.

If they had picked  Ragland in the 2nd and Goodson in the 4th they be restacked at LB 

I really like the picks today.  Both Goodson and Perkins have the potential to be starters for this team.  Both have talent, although both also play positions with very little quality competition.  I like the combination of talent and opportunity for the 4th and 5th round picks.  I am hoping Jerell Adams falls to the 6th round.  He would be a similar pick as Goodson and Perkins.

Not a fan of Apple, especially at #10.

I really like Shepard, I think he's gonna be a heck of a #2 WR next to ODB. 

Safety pick in the 3rd, meh.

Fine with Goodson & Perkins.

Perkins is probably the best RB on the roster now. Next years draft is going to have a ton of high end RBs. So if the Giants take one of those next year, Perkins will be a great #2.

RC94 said:
I really like the picks today.  Both Goodson and Perkins have the potential to be starters for this team.  Both have talent, although both also play positions with very little quality competition.  I like the combination of talent and opportunity for the 4th and 5th round picks.  I am hoping Jerell Adams falls to the 6th round.  He would be a similar pick as Goodson and Perkins.
Another good call 

TE Jerell Adams fell because of some minor off the field stuff. Lots of ability, can block and catch. Has high motor in games but a knock on him is he's lazy in practice so he's slow to picking up skills he's being coached.

This is how my ideal draft would have and could have gone based on players that were available at the time 

1. Tunsil - OT 
  2. Ragland - MLB
  3. Kendall Fuller - CB 
  4. Killerbrew - SS 
  5. Westerman - G alt Jordan Howard - RB 
  6. Charone Peake - WR  

Ebenezer Samuel ‏@ebenezersamuel 6s7 seconds ago

Ben McAdoo: "The right side of the offensive line, the story is yet to be written. WE’re just starting the 2016 offseason."

Current UDFA signed

Roger Lewis WR Bowling Green
KJ Maye WR Minnesota
Greg Milhouse DL Campbell U
Ryan Malleck TE Va Tech
Romeo Okwara DE Notre Dame
Melvin Lewis DT Kentucky
Josh Woodrum QB Liberty
Michael Hunter CB OK State
Darius Powe WR Cal
Andrew Adams S UConn
Mike Rose DE North Carolina State

Ebenezer Samuel ‏@ebenezersamuel 6s7 seconds ago

Ben McAdoo: "The right side of the offensive line, the story is yet to be written. WE’re just starting the 2016 offseason."
They must have a lot of faith in this new OL coach or they think they can pull off a deal for Anthony Davis or both

These reports for NFL Scouting are done by an NFL scout that for 45 years has been doing the report that the league hands out on draft day to the media

DAVE TE's GIANTS DRAFT CLASS WRAP-UP

nflscouting : 1:06 pm

INTRODUCING THE NEW YORK GIANTS’ 2016 DRAFT CLASS

While most “experts” are apt to make rash decisions on who “won or lost” during the draft, we at The NFL Draft Report take a different “wait and see” approach. As we have stated throughout the 2016 draft process, it is not where you are drafted, but where your NFL career actually goes.

As stated throughout our ratings process, it is not the round, but where that player will be later in his career. For any rookie, their first year in the NFL is usually a learning experience. Their playing time might increase during the course of the season, but for the most, playing time will likely come on special team action or in a mop-up role.

During that player’s second season, he needs to begin to apply what he learned during his rookie year. He should be prepared to enter camp challenging for a starting job and at the least, be ready to contribute. By the third year, that player needs to produce at the level expected when he was drafted. Failure to do so will see his team probably look for a replacement during that year’s draft process.

With that in mind, below are links to each of the Giants’ draft selections. Each report contains a profile on the player, a bit of draft history at his school and his position, along with detailed scouting reports and a breakdown of their season and game performances. Some even include extensive player comparison charts, where that athlete’s performance on the field is compared to other marquee performers in this draft class. As you will see with Eli Apple’s comparison chart, that was one of the main reasons he went earlier than the more “touted” cornerbacks.

For those interested in reading any of our previous articles on the 2016 draft class, a link to our gallery will be listed below each of the Giants’ draft selection links;

ELI APPLE-Cornerback-Ohio State
Our staff has touted Eli Apple as the best cornerback in the draft not named Jalen Ramsey since Day One. We even provided teams with a very detailed statistical comparison chart that featured Apple, Ramsey, Mackensie Alexander, Vernon Hargreaves III and William Jackson III. It seems Giants brass agreed, taking the Buckeye with the tenth pick. Do you want the kitchen sink on this kid? Well, go check out his profile and complete scouting report here. Also, be sure to look at the comparison chart. In particular, look at the targeted passes-to-reception allowed figures of each defensive back and the alarming lack of attention to the running game by both Hargreaves and Jackson. The article can be found here;
http://nfldraftreport.sportsblog.com/posts/16870661/the-nfl-draft-report-s--final-analysis--series---the-big-apple-welcomes-eli-apple-to-the-big-blue-family.html

ELI APPLE COMPARISON CHART
Every year, fans become enamored with that great college “pass thief,” the guy who comes up with that big play that has the stands rocking. All too often, those defensive backs have holes in their game that does not get exposed until they are under the watchful eyes of the astute NFL fans. At The NFL Draft Report, we stress production over potential when evaluating talent. We feel that if the athlete can not develop in four years in college, there is doubt that the “porch light” will suddenly come on when they reach the pro ranks.
In this report, I closely break down and examine every statistical aspect that goes into making a quality cornerback. While most teams seem to feel that Florida State’s Jalen Ramsey might be a better fit at free safety, the Seminole is included in this report, along with Clemson’s Mackensie Alexander, Ohio State’s Eli Apple, Florida’s Vernon Hargreaves III and Houston’s William Jackson III – all considered valid candidates to be drafted in the first round. The link to this article could be found here;

http://nfldraftreport.sportsblog.com/posts/14394009/the-nfl-draft-report-s--by-the-numbers--series---before-an-nfl-general-manager-drafts-a-cornerback-in-the-first-round--they-might-want-to-check-out-these-numbers.html

STERLING SHEPARD-Wide Receiver-Oklahoma
One of our staff’s favorite in this draft class, the Giants find a Hines Ward clone in this sensational Sooner receiver. Shepard plays with a lot of moxie and will soon endear himself to Big Blue fans. With Victor Cruz hoping to return to action in 2015, Shepard will likely fill slot receiver duties, but one look at his performance level, he can easily make Giants fans forget about their injured wide receiver. This report also includes a link to a report comparing Shepard’s 2015 performance to other Big Twelve Conference standouts – Baylor’s Corey Coleman and Texas Christian’s Josh Doctson. For this feature, go to this link;

http://nfldraftreport.sportsblog.com/posts/16904195/the-nfl-draft-report-s--final-analysis--series---new-york-giants-fans-rejoice---oklahoma-s-sterling-shepard-joins-the-big-blue-crew.html

STERLING SHEPARD COMPARISON CHART
In this article, The NFL Draft Report examines three of the elite receivers in the 2016 draft class that hail from the Big Twelve Conference – Baylor’s Corey Coleman, Texas Christian’s Joshua Doctson and Oklahoma’s Sterling Shepard. Each player report contains a profile, statistics and an in-depth scouting report. The three are then put through the “numbers test,” where I examine closely every aspect of their performance numbers from the 2015 season. As an added bonus, analysis, scouting report and profile on the conference’s speed merchant, TCU’s Kolby Listenbee is also included in this report;

http://nfldraftreport.sportsblog.com/posts/12598203/the-nfl-draft-report-s---three-big-twelve-receiver-prospects-you-need-to-see.html

DARIAN THOMPSON-Free Safety-Boise State
The NFL Draft Report "Final Analysis" Series - New York Giants Select Boise State Pass Thief King Darian Thompson During The Draft Secondary Upgrade
The Boise State master ball hawk will only have to change his jersey to a different shade of blue now that he is joining the New York Giants. Once considered a late first round prospect, some teams shied away from the defender with a conference record nineteen interceptions under his belt, as he did not perform well in the agility tests at the 2016 NFL scouting Combine. Still, you can’t teach a stopwatch to play football and his thievery success indicates that Thompson might have some “skills” in that area. The link to his article can be found here;

http://nfldraftreport.sportsblog.com/posts/16941226/the-nfl-draft-report--final-analysis--series---new-york-giants-select-boise-state-pass-thief-king-darian-thompson-during-the-draft-secondary-upgrade.html

B.J. GOODSON-Middle Linebacker-Clemson
The NFL Draft Report's "Final Analysis" Series - Giants Hope Later Bloomer B.J. Goodson Can Continue His Emergence
For three years, Goodson was “just a guy” struggling to make his mark on the football field while toiling third on the depth chart at strong-side outside linebacker. In 2015, he moved into the middle and became the “man” of the hour on defense, racking up 146 tackles in the process. With an obvious need for a run-stuffing plugger in the middle of the second level, Goodson fits the bill. But, before you can anoint him as the next big-time thumper, he will need to work on improving his pass coverage skills. The link to his feature can be found here;

http://nfldraftreport.sportsblog.com/posts/16948066/the-nfl-draft-report-s--final-analysis--series---giants-hope-later-bloomer-b-j--goodson-can-continue-his-emergence.html

PAUL PERKINS-Tailback-UCLA
The NFL Draft Report’s “Final Analysis” Series – Giants Are Looking For UCLA's Paul Perkins To Provide Their "Need For Speed" Coming Out of the Backfield
While he may not be the biggest, or the strongest ball carrier in the draft, UCLA’s Paul Perkins is that change-of-pace type who has the receiving skills that could chip into the playing time for the Giants’ starting backfield. Regarded more as a defensive back coming out of high school, Perkins is a legacy, as both his father and uncle have NFL pedigree. Below is a link to his profile, a bit of UCLA running back draft history and his scouting report;

http://nfldraftreport.sportsblog.com/posts/17004081/the-nfl-draft-report-s--final-analysis--series---giants-looking-for-ucla-s-paul-perkins-in-their--need-for-speed--coming-out-of-the-backfield.html

JERELL ADAMS-Tight End-South Carolina
The NFL Draft Report’s “Final Analysis” Series – Giants Hope That South Carolina’s Jerell Adams Can Catch On in the NFL
No question that Adams has great athleticism. What scouts do question are his hands – prone to dropping too many easy catches. Coming out of a school that has seen just seven tight ends drafted since 1936, and just three to ever play in an NFL game, Big Blue fans might need to be patient waiting to see if this late round athlete can become a valid football player. The link to this article, featuring his profile, scouting report and school tight end draft history can be found here;

http://nfldraftreport.sportsblog.com/posts/16998385/the-nfl-draft-report-s--final-analysis--series---giants-hope-south-carolina-s-jerell-adams-can-catch-on-in-the-nfl.html

LOOKING FOR REPORTS ON THE DRAFT’S FIRST ROUND SELECTIONS? Go to this link;
http://nfldraftreport.sportsblog.com/posts/16893386/the-nfl-draft-report-s---an-extensive-study-of-the-2016-draft-first-round-class.html

FOR THOSE LOOKING FOR SCOUTING REPORTS AND ANALYSIS, there are over one hundred articles for you to enjoy at;
http://nfldraftreport.sportsblog.com/page/gallery or http://Nfldraftreport.sportsblog.com

FOR QUICK ACCESS TO THE RATINGS CHARTS only, you can access each position at;
OFFENSIVE RATINGS CHARTS
http://nfldraftreport.sportsblog.com/posts/16689761/the-nfl-draft-report-s--by-the-numbers--series---the-final-2016-offensive-position-grades.html

DEFENSIVE RATINGS CHARTS
http://nfldraftreport.sportsblog.com/posts/16706797/the-nfl-draft-report-s--by-the-numbers--series---the-final-2016-defensive-position-class-ratings.html

The NFL Draft Report - Introducing the New York Giants' 2016 Draft Class - ( New Window )

Matt Slauson and Antrel Rolle are available FAs !!! The Giants have to go after Slauson and should go after Rolle.

Those 2 would fill 2 huge holes for the Giants 

Users who are viewing this thread