What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coaching Carousel '24 or The next batch of folks that will be walked out the door in 2-3 years (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
We have a lot of openings in the NFL and coaches are retiring, leaving, parting ways with long time tenures in the NFL including Belichick and Carroll both over the ages of 70.
Belichick is already being spoken about as potentially having suitors. I don't remember anyone wanting to interview Don Shula when he was forced to step away from the Miami Dolphins

A couple seasons ago when LVR and Chicago were hiring, I remember rolling my eyes a lot and there were other hirings in the last couple seasons that make no sense.
There are still coaches hanging on by the skin of their teeth that could possibly lose their position when teams suddenly see who is available

We have Belichick walking the streets, Mike Vrabel who did make it to the AFCC with QB-Ryan Tannehill and he's now available, and while I don't have a direct link I have heard rumors about McVay in Los Angeles even though they are still in the Playoffs. Is there a team that has an opening that McVay would prefer to coach? It seems like many things could be in motion in the coming days.

-First off, I think it's mistake to bring in most hot shot 1 trick ponies at OC or DC. Some do have the ability to understand both sides of the ball but many of these head coaches cannot lead one side or the other and it shows. For example, Mike McDaniel would not be able to huddle the defense up and rally the troops for anything meaningful, in fact the DC-Fangio just sits up in the box removed from McDaniel and this is a problem.

Why is that a problem? When a head coach is only good on one side of the football, I feel it limits what a team can achieve. I think most teams would be better served to hire an experienced head coach that has done more than just whisper in the QBs ear or calls in plays that are actually designed and fed to him from the Head Coach's playbook...and these are the types of candidates that NFL owners continue to hire, the flavor of the week/month/season and they try desperately to catch lightning in a bottle.

-Another thing to watch for on most of these hirings is WHO is being interviewed. I will again pick on Mike McDaniel and point out that he was not very high on the list of candidates initially. Most should know it was Sean Payton and Stephen Ross ended up getting docked a 1st and 3rd for tampering, Brady was part of that debacle as well but Miami wanted Sean Payton even when he was still with the Saints and likely would have traded a draft pick if they had to in order to get him. All of this Payton-Brady stuff came out in the Brian Flores lawsuit.

The larger point is keep an eye on who is getting hired or interviewed. I see fans try so hard to get behind coaches they know darn well are going to be walked out in 2-3 years. Why these owners are unable to hire great coaches is something the fans of these teams should be questioning and yelling about loudly when they see the owners showing their faces. How do you get owner's attention? Stop buying season tickets, apparently Panthers fans are getting the message, that stadium was looking pretty empty for a team that had just gotten a No 1 overall pick and a hot rookie QB...yeah things didn't exactly work out that way.

Should Tepper Tantrum be allowed to hire a head coach at this point? Maybe that power should rest solely with the GM for a while

Rumors welcome, official hiring links appreciated
Hot takes and emotionally charged posts are encouraged
:rant:

Last edited:
You seem to have a real bug up your butt about McDaniel. Considering that he's delivered two playoff appearances in two seasons, I'm not sure why you view him as such a failure. The fact that Fangio is in the booth is meaningless; plenty of coordinators sit in the booth during games. From what I understand, it's mostly a case of personal preference. Also, McVay had the exact same arrangement with Wade Phillips when he arrived in LA, to the point where he wouldn't even watch the game when the Rams were on D, and they managed to make it to the Super Bowl in two years.

My guess is that most of these "rules" about hiring processes and coaching structure are just retroactive justifications with zero predictive power. Should you hire an OC or a DC? A young guy or a vet? An NFL coordinator or a college coach? The answer is that you should hire a good coach. How do you know who's going to be good? Ah, that's the tricky part!

That being said, there do seem to be some patterns that hold. Belichick disciples have been so universally bad, it's hard not to wonder if there's something going on there. And remember a few years ago, when it was a joke that every coach who'd ever so much as ordered coffee behind McVay or Shanahan was getting a job? Looking back now, most of those guys have turned out pretty well: LaFleur, Taylor, O'Connell, McDaniel, Ryans

You seem to have a real bug up your butt about McDaniel.

-You don't say?!
He might have everyone else fooled but he doesn't have me fooled

FYI-RED ALERT!!!
Did you know that some Miami Dolphins fans have written down in here that McDaniel won 10 games plus a playoff during his 1st season as Head Coach, we have active Dolphins fans here that think McDaniel won 10 games in 2022, I can grab them but I'd rather not and it's not an indictment on my fellow Phinsfans, they have a special burden that most NFL fans do not have and I will be happy to explain it in future posts but trust me when I tell you most NFL fans do not endure the typical bull-spit most Miami fans deal with living in South Florida...I'll give you a hint, much of it relates to transplants that will never stop rooting for their home teams when they were 3 years old but still have spent much of their life in South Florida

Mike McDaniel went 9-9 his 1st season, last season, 2022 for those hard of hearing and in Week 1, he could have been 9-10 as the Head Coach of Miami
Right now he is 20-15 with a Playoff loss up in Orchard Park and a potential 2nd coming in KC

-Where is Mike McDaniel re-writing history for the Miami Dolphins?
The truth is hard to read and an even bitter pill for Miami fans to swallow right now

-You don't say?!

FYI-RED ALERT!!!
Did you know that some Miami Dolphins fans have written down in here that McDaniel won 10 games plus a playoff during his 1st season as Head Coach, we have active Dolphins fans here that think McDaniel won 10 games in 2022, I can grab them but I'd rather not and it's not an indictment on my fellow Phinsfans, they have a special burden that most NFL fans do not have and I will be happy to explain it in future posts but trust me when I tell you most NFL fans do not endure the typical bull-spit most Miami fans deal with living in South Florida...I'll give you a hint, much of it relates to transplants that will never stop rooting for their home teams when they were 3 years old but still have spent much of their life in South Florida

Mike McDaniel went 9-9 his 1st season, last season, 2022 for those hard of hearing and in Week 1, he could have been 9-10 as the Head Coach of Miami
Right now he is 20-15 with a Playoff loss up in Orchard Park and a potential 2nd coming in KC

The truth is hard to read and an even bitter pill for Miami fans to swallow right now
But I believe you were ok keeping coach lawsuit and his 24-25 record who couldn't figure out how to use our first round QB, had a anemic offense and boring to watch team with no upside. Is this team and coach flawed? Yep but even if they lose Saturday (which is likely) no one can argue it hasn't been an improvement the last two seasons. Shula isn't walking back through that door. But enough Miami discussion, they still have a coach.

To me the no brainer out there if you are interviewing is Mike Vrabel and don't be surprised if he either ends up in NE if Bill leaves or as the assistant head coach and takes over in the next few years. The job he did with a below average Titans roster is impressive.

-You don't say?!

FYI-RED ALERT!!!

But I believe you were ok keeping coach lawsuit and his 24-25 record who couldn't figure out how to use our first round QB, had a anemic offense and boring to watch team with no upside. Is this team and coach flawed? Yep but even if they lose Saturday (which is likely) no one can argue it hasn't been an improvement the last two seasons. Shula isn't walking back through that door. But enough Miami discussion, they still have a coach.

To me the no brainer out there if you are interviewing is Mike Vrabel and don't be surprised if he either ends up in NE if Bill leaves or as the assistant head coach and takes over in the next few years. The job he did with a below average Titans roster is impressive.
We're so similar, I agree with much of your vibe BUT...the needle hasn't moved and Flores was fired after B2B winning seasons, that's a fact!
10-9, 9-8 and MM went 9-9 last season, fact! Winning %, McDaniel was actually worse his 1st year as fans were breaking out the anointing oils, yes/no?
He had a .500 record, he didn't go 10-7 like the previous head coach

And his record for Dec/Jan in '22 was 1-6, and if he loses this weekend he will be a whopping 4-10 in Dec/Jan and 0-2 in the playoffs, Tua a big part of much of this although he wasn't even there for the Playoffs last year up in Buffalo, we've yet to see him start a Playoff game with an opportunity to shine in front of everyone.
:thumbup:

-You don't say?!

FYI-RED ALERT!!!

We're so similar, I agree with much of your vibe BUT...the needle hasn't moved and Flores was fired after B2B winning seasons, that's a fact!
10-9, 9-8 and MM went 9-9 last season, fact! Winning %, McDaniel was actually worse his 1st year as fans were breaking out the anointing oils, yes/no?

And his record for Dec/Jan in '22 was 1-6, and if he loses this weekend he will be a whopping 4-10 in Dec/Jan and 0-2 in the playoffs, Tua a big part of much of this although he wasn't even there for the Playoffs last year up in Buffalo, we've yet to see him start a Playoff game with an opportunity to shine in front of everyone.
You're factoring in playoff games, which seems like playing with semantics. In pretty much every NFL discussion, "winning record," "losing record," etc. is talked about under the assumption of regular season record.

-You don't say?!

FYI-RED ALERT!!!

You're factoring in playoff games, which seems like playing with semantics. In pretty much every NFL discussion, "winning record," "losing record," etc. is talked about under the assumption of regular season record.
Wins and losses are never semantics my friend, but as Stephen Ross is quoted, we don't measure success in wins and losses, his words not MoP's.
But have it, please!
:wink:

-You don't say?!

FYI-RED ALERT!!!

I am on board with most of this, but the weather IS a huge factor here. Asking a Miami coach to win in a one and done scenario during a white out with -2 wind chill is asking a lot. KC will have trouble being KC as it is. Kelce better bring Swifts' Muffs for the sideline. :wink:

You seem to have a real bug up your butt about McDaniel. Considering that he's delivered two playoff appearances in two seasons, I'm not sure why you view him as such a failure. The fact that Fangio is in the booth is meaningless; plenty of coordinators sit in the booth during games. From what I understand, it's mostly a case of personal preference. Also, McVay had the exact same arrangement with Wade Phillips when he arrived in LA, to the point where he wouldn't even watch the game when the Rams were on D, and they managed to make it to the Super Bowl in two years.

My guess is that most of these "rules" about hiring processes and coaching structure are just retroactive justifications with zero predictive power. Should you hire an OC or a DC? A young guy or a vet? An NFL coordinator or a college coach? The answer is that you should hire a good coach. How do you know who's going to be good? Ah, that's the tricky part!
he probably salivates over the thought of the Shanahan in the post season, yet the dude always loses big games, and is fatally flawed as a HC.

OP also believes that Vrabel is a 'good' coach. we're arguing semantics here, but Vrabel is not a good coach he's actually average or worse. a pathetic post season record, suspect play calling at big times, bad clock mgmt late in games, bully tactics with assistant coaches. Vrabel is a fossil old school angry looking coach who has no idea wtf he's doing his record shows that.
who cares that he made a championship game with tannehill - Joe Gibbs WON 3 SBs with 3 different QBs - Rypien, Doug Williams, Thiesman. Doug friggin Williams. Marc damn rypien.
Rich gannon came this close to winning a SB or two , brad johnson won one. fact is, the coaching staffs with these also rans, actually won. Vrabel never won a damn thing in Tenn. he's lousy.

Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn are the two links back to the Legion of Boom days in Seattle. Bradley built the defense and Quinn won with it. Quinn is the name mentioned the most so far by the media. My perception was that Bradley was the more "Pete" type of guy, positive and a rah-rah coach. Does John Schneider want more of a Carroll-type or does he want a change in philosophy?

he probably salivates over the thought of the Shanahan in the post season, yet the dude always loses big games, and is fatally flawed as a HC.

OP also believes that Vrabel is a 'good' coach. we're arguing semantics here, but Vrabel is not a good coach he's actually average or worse. a pathetic post season record, suspect play calling at big times, bad clock mgmt late in games, bully tactics with assistant coaches. Vrabel is a fossil old school angry looking coach who has no idea wtf he's doing his record shows that.
who cares that he made a championship game with tannehill - Joe Gibbs WON 3 SBs with 3 different QBs - Rypien, Doug Williams, Thiesman. Doug friggin Williams. Marc damn rypien.
Rich gannon came this close to winning a SB or two , brad johnson won one. fact is, the coaching staffs with these also rans, actually won. Vrabel never won a damn thing in Tenn. he's lousy.
I would not say I'm a huge fan of Vrabel at all, just that he has an appearance in the AFCC during the Mahomes reign, that's worth noting.
I've been skeptical about the internet chatter that the Titans could have traded Vrabel and opted to just release him
I wanted to be fair and so I tried to lead with some of his positives, Conf Champ game would be a feather in almost any coach's hat.

I knew before opening the thread the first guy mentioned would be McDaniel, just based on the OP and thread title. I love most of your stuff MoP, but you do have a tell 😁

I could see McDaniel finding the hot seat after another year or 2 like this. I like the job he has done, and I think Miami stopped being a strong SB contender once too many injuries hit, which I don't put on McDaniel. They were down 6 pro bowl level guys against the bills last week and multiple other starters, along with the direct backups to a couple of those pro bowl guys. This year was/is a talent available problem more than a coaching problem to me. But if you have a team sputter out 3 or 4 times in a row after starting hot, it doesn't really matter why, you'll be on the hot seat.

Its the Belichick/Brady and Reid/Mahomes type of pairings that mess it up for everyone. Those are dream teams and the GMs are chasing dreams instead of developing their own identity and culture.

Bears are taking some major grief for not firing Flus after 2 seasons and a 10-24 record. Team President Kevin Warren take was that Flus is a known commodity to the organization. They know how to work with him and acknowledge he has some "blind spots" which all coaches do, but have a plan on how to work through that. He made mistakes as a first time HC and he is learning from them. At the end of the day, the stability, team culture and growth outweighed bringing in a fresh face. The teams who have sustained success are the stable organizations that can flourish from within.

I knew before opening the thread the first guy mentioned would be McDaniel, just based on the OP and thread title. I love most of your stuff MoP, but you do have a tell 😁

I could see McDaniel finding the hot seat after another year or 2 like this. I like the job he has done, and I think Miami stopped being a strong SB contender once too many injuries hit, which I don't put on McDaniel. They were down 6 pro bowl level guys against the bills last week and multiple other starters, along with the direct backups to a couple of those pro bowl guys. This year was/is a talent available problem more than a coaching problem to me. But if you have a team sputter out 3 or 4 times in a row after starting hot, it doesn't really matter why, you'll be on the hot seat.
I know the owner, FO and a majority of the fan base loves McDaniel, in no way do i think mcD is getting fired any time soon, but that also makes it easy to be super critical and he needs to be measured a little tougher than what many do which is gloss over the flaws Miami has

-That Offense sputters a lot, hasn't really lit anyone up in weeks, I hope he has a career defining moment as Head Coach of Miami...a Playoff victory not seen in Miami since 2000 would be a big step in furthering the narrative for Miami becoming a Champion

-And you're welcome to razz me buddy, I deserve much of the ribbing

Great hire on the surface for New England, hard to fill the shoes of BB and I think Mayo will do a solid job for the Patriots.
-Did not take long for the Patriots to interview and make the hire, no need to interview a dozen names or coaches, they had their guy targeted and got him.

From an execution stand point, they succeeded, they were the first to grab who they wanted, I would think the list of candidates will progressively get worse until the last team signs a head coach. Somewhere, Tepper might have to wait until more big names are hired before he can truly start his search from the scraps list.

Last edited:
If Mike McCarthy were to get rolled by Green Bay this weekend, 38-17 not that it's likely but...
-Does Jerry jones make a move for Bill Belichick?

-How about other owners who are not happy just making it into the post season and want to advance further
I think the Bucs should take a long hard look here, maybe BB would like to rent the team as Brady did

Great hire on the surface for New England, hard to fill the shoes of BB and I think Mayo will do a solid job for the Patriots.
-Did not take long for the Patriots to interview and make the hire, no need to interview a dozen names or coaches, they had their guy targeted and got him.

From an execution stand point, they succeeded, they were the first to grab who they wanted, I would think the list of candidates will progressively get worse until the last team signs a head coach. Somewhere, Tepper might have to wait until more big names are hired before he can truly start his search from the scraps list.

First of all :blackdot: and :popcorn: for the top-form MoP posting.

I would say that the last hire in the cycle isn't always the worst hire - but the bigger challenge there is that last hire gets the slimmest pickings of assistants. This was definitely the sense when Zac Taylor got hired like a month after most of the other guys. But both of his original coordinators are there and have gotten HC interviews so even that perception turned out not to be true.

But generally grocery shopping an hour before the blizzard usually won't make for the best dinner.

Anyway let me know when the MoP vs MM smackdown is gonna be on pay per view :boxing:

-QG

I know the owner, FO and a majority of the fan base loves McDaniel, in no way do i think mcD is getting fired any time soon, but that also makes it easy to be super critical and he needs to be measured a little tougher than what many do which is gloss over the flaws Miami has

-That Offense sputters a lot, hasn't really lit anyone up in weeks, I hope he has a career defining moment as Head Coach of Miami...a Playoff victory not seen in Miami since 2000 would be a big step in furthering the narrative for Miami becoming a Champion

-And you're welcome to razz me buddy, I deserve much of the ribbing
It’s interesting, I don’t mind the topic at all. Was just thinking about the same thing this morning while my wife was yelling at me about how I should wear a different pullover today. (No joke)

Re: the Dolphins. I don’t follow them the way you do, but candidly, I think the owner is a total buffoon. The problem in Miami starts with the owner.

This is why Mayo was hired so quickly by the Patriots...they hired him last year or he had them put a clause in his contract.
-This guy is going to get a full 3+ seasons to try and make a turnaround for the Patriots and get them back to relevancy.

I don't think I have ever read about this happening

The Old Patriots would likely be talking about trading down or trading the pick for future picks
This seems like one of those times with a new coach for the first time in over 20+ years, and even though he is more defensive minded
I think this is a perfect time for the Patriots to invest in a. top QB prospect. They need to work on the OL but they have money to spend in FA, use some later picks as well.
The focus should be Tackle to Tackle building a solid wall for a young QB to set up and throw, then obviously selecting the right QB for the job.

Pats could punt to '25 and just work on both sides of the line, it's a gamble and it puts more pressure on a young 1st time head coach to be patient but it might be for the best.
If the Pats had a deal in place already then they likely are not in a rush to start making poor decisions just because the clock starts to tick.
I can't say I am pulling for Mayo but he is a very intriguing selection for the Patriots.

Giving it a bump since @massraider thinks yours truly doesn't seem to understand anything about the hiring process when I clearly laid out in the OP almost the exact thing he is preaching about in the Raiders team thread.

We both agree on Carolina

Also poor @Hankmoody
I seem to be drawing the ire of so many Raiders's fans around here and don't want the team thread going on tilt, Hank is luke warm about Pierce, that's not a ringing endorsement but he said a lot more than just the hiring of Pierce, thought he was well spoken on his POV

I think Pierce is a questionable HC hiring and when you have Jim Harbaugh announced as successor for a division rival, the pressure is going to mount quickly.
We'll see how many seasons he's going to last in Vegas, so far coaches have not been able to hold that position down for long.

Users who are viewing this thread