What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2017 SF 49ers thread *** see original post or latest post for link to new 2018 thread (3 Viewers)

Kyle Juszczyk signed

I like this deal a lot.  Much rather they signed him than DeMarco.  Solid receiver and a good blocker. 

A lot of money for a FB, but screw it, they need players and have the money.  I know he barely carried the ball, but I saw him make a 10 yard TD against Pittsburgh, where he broke about 4 tackles, so maybe he should get the rock a 3-4 times a game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kyle Juszczyk signed

I like this deal a lot.  Much rather they signed him than DeMarco.  Solid receiver and a good blocker. 

A lot of money for a FB, but screw it, they need players and have the money.  I know he barely carried the ball, but I saw him make a 10 yard TD against Pittsburgh, where he broke about 4 tackles, so maybe he should get the rock a 3-4 times a game.
Way too much for a fb.  I know they have lots of cap room but you lose that cap room fast by signing average players to large deals

He's not "average" for a FB. Important piece in Shanahan offense. 

I agree it's a lot but not gonna ruin their cap structure. He's a good player. 

I really hope we don't get Cousins.  Just not a fan of his game.  Sure, he's accumulated stats, but to me he's a notch above DeBerg and below Alex Smith.  

Ok with all the rest of the signings as we had cap room to play.  Most should be 1-2 yr deals in reality while our draft classes develop.  I hope.

I know I'm in the minority, but still like DeShon Watson as our QBOTF with Hoyer holding down the fort for a year.  

I really hope we don't get Cousins.  Just not a fan of his game.  Sure, he's accumulated stats, but to me he's a notch above DeBerg and below Alex Smith.  

Ok with all the rest of the signings as we had cap room to play.  Most should be 1-2 yr deals in reality while our draft classes develop.  I hope.

I know I'm in the minority, but still like DeShon Watson as our QBOTF with Hoyer holding down the fort for a year.  
Watson (or Trubisky) is one of the definite possibilities of the Hoyer signing. The other is Cousins coming next year when they don't have to give any compensation, assuming Washington won't tag him at 34 million. 

I am torn on Cousins.  Lot of money and the concern of most seems that while he puts up good stats, he's not a special player.  I think he can get better. Only 2 years as a starter, so he's still learning. Shanahan obviously loves the guy. Heard an interview with Vernon Davis yesterday and he was talking raving about Cousins both as a player and a leader. Whatever that is worth. 

Will be interesting to see it play out. 

Cousins is still young and learning. He would come cheap next year, I just hope his confidence isn't shot after this season since his top targets (Garcon and Desean) are gone...I don't see him posting similar numbers from his past 2 seasons with the roster in Washington.

Jeff Garcia wasn't a "special player" but I always thought we had a chance when we had him. He put up good numbers and was a gamer. We haven't had a QB that could throw for 4000 yards and 30 tds since...Cousins can be that guy, and having a coach and QB with history who like each other and are on the same page isn't a bad thing. It all hinges on the OL play, they need to keep him upright and I think this team could be fun to watch again.

Current San Francisco 49ers signings, and interests

New 49ers

WR DeAndre Carter (Patriots, 2-yr deal, $1.02M deal)
* WR Pierre Garçon (Redskins, 3-yr deal)
* WR Marquise Goodwin (Bills, 2-yr, $8M deal)
* QB Brian Hoyer (Bears, 2-yr, $12M deal, $10M guaranteed, $6M in incentives)
* FB Kyle Juszczyk (Ravens, 4-yr, $21M deal, $10M guaranteed)
DT Earl Mitchell (Dolphins, 4-yr, $16M deal)
CB K'Waun Williams (Browns, 1-yr deal, $765K deal)

* Expected to sign

Returning 49ers

WR Jeremy Kerley (3-yr, $10.5M deal)

Reported Interest

CB A.J. Bouye (Texans, Houston Chronicle)
WR Kenny Britt (Rams, Sacramento Bee)
WR Alshon Jeffery (Bears, Benjamin Allbright)
QB Ryan Mallett (Ravens, ESPN)
DT Terrell McClain (Cowboys, NFL Network)
DT Domata Peko (Bengals, Pro Football Talk)
DT Dontari Poe (Chiefs, CBS Sports)
WR Terrelle Pryor (Browns, Cleveland.com)
LB Malcolm Smith (Oakland, FOX Sports)

From twitter:

Fallon Smith C. ✔ @FallonSmithCSN

Per source, the #49ers plan to sign former Bear TE Logan Paulsen, one of the best blocking TEs in the NFL #NFLFreeAgency

1:32 PM - 9 Mar 2017

What's your point? Luke Walton can't be judged on this season.
Because "winning cultures" are not hinged solely on coaches, because say you fired a winning coach for a Jim Tomsula. 

Now tell me if Tomsula was judged unfairly for one season. 

BROWNS WEST

Cousins is still young and learning. He would come cheap next year, I just hope his confidence isn't shot after this season since his top targets (Garcon and Desean) are gone...I don't see him posting similar numbers from his past 2 seasons with the roster in Washington.

Jess Garcia wasn't a "special player" but I always thought we had a chance when we had him. He put up good numbers and was a gamer. We haven't had a QB that could throw for 4000 yards and 30 tds since...Cousins can be that guy, and having a coach and QB with history who like each other and are on the same page isn't a bad thing. It all hinges on the OL play, they need to keep him upright and I think this team could be fun to watch again.
Jess Garcia? 

JESS GARCIA?

JESS GARCIA?

JESS GARCIA?

Cousins career has been mirroring Drew Brees for the past 2 years. In fact at the same age, his past 2 years are better than Brees'.

Cousins career has been mirroring Drew Brees for the past 2 years. In fact at the same age, his past 2 years are better than Brees'.
Cousins IMO is not a franchise QB, and with the current crap show that is the 49ers, can regress back into the horrid INT prone QB he was. 

Good point.  Still relatively young for a QB and only a 2 year starter.  I would like them to work out a deal with Washington that doesn't involve the #2 pick. 

Cousins IMO is not a franchise QB, and with the current crap show that is the 49ers, can regress back into the horrid INT prone QB he was.
??

2012: 3 games, 48 attempts, 4tds, 3ints (6.3 int%)

2013: 5 games, 155 attempts, 4tds, 7ints (4.5 int%)

2014: 6 games, 204 attempts, 10tds, 9ints (4.4 int%)

2015: 16 games, 543 attempts, 29tds, 11ints (2.0 int%)

2016: 16 games, 606 attempts, 25tds, 12ints (2.0 int%)

You cant really say he was int prone the first 3 years in limited duty...not enough reps, almost no chance for chemistry or to get settled in the offense. Once given the reigns hes been solid, and his int percentage has steadily gone down to a very respectable 2.0% the past 2 years (his only 2 years as a full time starter).

Because "winning cultures" are not hinged solely on coaches, because say you fired a winning coach for a Jim Tomsula. 

Now tell me if Tomsula was judged unfairly for one season. 

BROWNS WEST
As a fan of both teams, I'd say the situations are quite different. The 49ers broke up a winning culture by firing Harbaugh and hiring a coach no one else wanted. The Lakers had a losing culture and statistically the worst coach in NBA history and replaced him with a prodigy everyone wanted. Everyone knew Tomsula would be a disaster other than cocky SF management. I think Walton will turn things around as the young players develop and better players are brought in. There were no expectations this season with three starters 21 or under and losing the best option. I'll have no expectations for Shanahan this season for the same reasons. I hope they Suck for Sam.

??

2012: 3 games, 48 attempts, 4tds, 3ints (6.3 int%)

2013: 5 games, 155 attempts, 4tds, 7ints (4.5 int%)

2014: 6 games, 204 attempts, 10tds, 9ints (4.4 int%)

2015: 16 games, 543 attempts, 29tds, 11ints (2.0 int%)

2016: 16 games, 606 attempts, 25tds, 12ints (2.0 int%)

You cant really say he was int prone the first 3 years in limited duty...not enough reps, almost no chance for chemistry or to get settled in the offense. Once given the reigns hes been solid, and his int percentage has steadily gone down to a very respectable 2.0% the past 2 years (his only 2 years as a full time starter).
If you are trowing more INTs than TDs even in a limited role, you are pretty much an INT prone QB even in a limited backup role. Even Cousins himself alluded to all those INTs he threw in those first three seasons as he making poor decisions. 

Oh, and guess who his offensive coordinator was for the first two? 

Kyle Shanahan

As a fan of both teams, I'd say the situations are quite different. The 49ers broke up a winning culture by firing Harbaugh and hiring a coach no one else wanted. The Lakers had a losing culture and statistically the worst coach in NBA history and replaced him with a prodigy everyone wanted. Everyone knew Tomsula would be a disaster other than cocky SF management. I think Walton will turn things around as the young players develop and better players are brought in. There were no expectations this season with three starters 21 or under and losing the best option. I'll have no expectations for Shanahan this season for the same reasons. I hope they Suck for Sam.
Well, the Lakers right now are in a bit of a tug of war within the ownership, and Jeanie had to take over because Jimbo was crapping the bed. But I don't believe Walton that much of a prodigy since anybody could had rolled the ball out with that GSW team and won games. 

To me, a solid  organization leads to at least a consistent product that is competitive within the marketplace. Sports franchises really don't need to be competitive to still exist within their respective marketplaces to continue to exist, and the 49ers and Lakers as well as the Browns prove that, with the exception of the Bronws never having been a dynasty whatsoever. How can they do that? Give them a boat load of efactor's. Fans who still think Baalke/Tomsula wasn't given a real chance. 

ETA: the 49ers may have their own Chris Mulliin as GM now too  :unsure:

A few year ago, there was a blog "writer" whose name is Vincent Frank who used to write for Niners Nation (and for some reason resented why I wrote articles there and he didn't) who wrote a post over at Bleacher Report on why the 49ers were the greatest organization in all of team sports, right down to their shiny new stadium. This was around 2012, one year into Harbaugh. 49er fans, who Frank also is, ate that up like kids do ice cream, and fluff articles like that, which give a sort of self affirmation to those who spend more time on blog sites and message boards are what they want to hear. 

Flash forward a few years later: 

I found another Frank "article" on some other fan blog my aggregator caught saying how the 49ers were the worst organization in all of sports, and how that shiny new stadium was full of flaws and sucked. 

Of course, that article was post Harbaugh.  :lmao:

Now, what does that really say about the organization? Well, this is why Frank was such a hack. It was the same organization that fired Steve Mariucci, then hired Dennis Erickson, to Mike Nolan, and then to Mike Singletary. Oh, and the GMs being Terry Donahue, Scot McGlouhan, and Trent Baalke during that whole time. 

The only thing that stayed consistent from then to present day are the Yorks - Papa, Mama, and Baby Jed - and this guy named Paraag Marathe. 

drummer said:
If you are trowing more INTs than TDs even in a limited role, you are pretty much an INT prone QB even in a limited backup role. Even Cousins himself alluded to all those INTs he threw in those first three seasons as he making poor decisions. 

Oh, and guess who his offensive coordinator was for the first two? 

Kyle Shanahan
:lmao:

You're clearly holding deep hatred for the organization. In your eyes, as long as Jed and Marathe are there, this team will never be competitive again. And you're allowed to have that opinion, but dammit man, Cousins has never been INT prone as you put it, he was a rookie QB learning the ropes. All young QBs make mistakes and throw some picks, especially when they play sparingly here and there. As a full time starter, hes never been prone to throw INTs, so I'm not getting why you'd think he might "regress" back to what he was when he was essentially a rookie.

But whatever, hes not even a 49er, so the point is moot.

:lmao:

You're clearly holding deep hatred for the organization. In your eyes, as long as Jed and Marathe are there, this team will never be competitive again. And you're allowed to have that opinion, but dammit man, Cousins has never been INT prone as you put it, he was a rookie QB learning the ropes. All young QBs make mistakes and throw some picks, especially when they play sparingly here and there. As a full time starter, hes never been prone to throw INTs, so I'm not getting why you'd think he might "regress" back to what he was when he was essentially a rookie.

But whatever, hes not even a 49er, so the point is moot.

One in particular that’s plagued him since his interception laden 2014 season, that he has difficulty shaking interceptions, is a plot line which seems to rear its head on game broadcasts each and every time he throws an interception. That, despite his overwhelming 52:20 touchdown-to-interception ratio over the past two seasons falling in stark contrast to his 10:9 ratio three seasons ago.

It happened again on Sunday, when Cousins, with the Redskins leading the Eagles 21-13 in the fourth quarter, threw an interception to defensive back Leodis McKelvin, who returned it for a timely Eagles touchdown.

“People can say what they want,” Cousins told Grant Paulsen and Danny Rouhier Monday on 106.7 The Fan’s Under Center, driven by the Lindsay Automotive Group.

“What gets misperceived is that in 2014, if I really was afraid of getting the ball back, I wouldn’t have kept throwing picks,” he said. “Part of it was I was too aggressive, I was too eager. You know, I’d get the ball back and I’d say, ‘I’m gonna fix this’ and then I’d throw a pick, so it was almost reining it back in.”
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2016/12/12/kirk-cousins-credits-jon-gruden-with-helping-curb-interceptions/

Took me 5 seconds to find this, Mr, JESS GARCIA  :lmao:

Blah blah blah
Cmon man. It's in black and white.

What gets misperceived is that in 2014, if I really was afraid of getting the ball back, I wouldn’t have kept throwing picks,” he said. “Part of it was I was too aggressive, I was too eager. You know, I’d get the ball back and I’d say, ‘I’m gonna fix this’ and then I’d throw a pick, so it was almost reining it back in
He was reigning it back in because he was a damn rookie (3rd year, yes...but not even a full season of starts under his belt) I'm getting tired of saying it...since he's been a full time starter, INTs haven't been an issue at 2.0%.

Its a fact. You're grasping at straws to try to prove your point. I'll save myself the work and let you post the INT percentage of all starting QBs over the past 2 seasons...but don't water it down by posting the % of QBS with 50+ passes...let's up the ante by posting the percentage of QBs with let's say...300+ attempts over the past 2 seasons, to weed out the non factor and limited duty QBs.

Ill hang up and listen.

Cmon man. It's in black and white.

He was reigning it back in because he was a damn rookie (3rd year, yes...but not even a full season of starts under his belt) I'm getting tired of saying it...since he's been a full time starter, INTs haven't been an issue at 2.0%.

Its a fact. You're grasping at straws to try to prove your point. I'll save myself the work and let you post the INT percentage of all starting QBs over the past 2 seasons...but don't water it down by posting the % of QBS with 50+ passes...let's up the ante by posting the percentage of QBs with let's say...300+ attempts over the past 2 seasons, to weed out the non factor and limited duty QBs.

Ill hang up and listen.
Let me ask you to do some research since you really don't know how. 

Just answer this question: 

Is he better than Eli Manning? 

ETA: Because we have been talking about a FRANCHISE quarterback which Cousins cost as far as what teams would pay is being that he isn't even elite or on the Philip Rivers level

ETAII: Quick stat line here and tell me which game this is for bonus cookie: 

Kirk Cousins    WAS    22    35    287    1    2    4    41    49    74.3    0    

No in case you go blah blah because like all your 49er threads that only go so many pages until you give up on the season then have to reboot since you could not stomach to revisit your last 49er season thread, I''l help you out: 

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201701010was.htm

So you post a SINGLE GAME stat line to back up your blanket statement?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:  

Straw grasping at its finest. Congrats, you've passed every troll in the 49er threads. ImTheScientist's posts aren't as painful as yours, bro.

I have a serious question tho. What do my past posts expressing disappointment have to do with what's happening now? Totally different year, personell, and situation on every level. 

Oh man...I just realized that I keep asking you questions, which is pretty much asking you to post more. I must be a glutton for punishment. :lmao:

And kudos for using an autocorrect  (Jess vs Jeff) as ammo. It really shows your level of petiness. We all know his name is Jeff. I don't always proofread my posts, and autocorrect sometimes "fixes" what it thinks is wrong. I probably typed Jegg or Jedd as Im not awesome on touch keyboards...and yet that was the only thing you keyed on. Way to go. From now on I'll try to make sure every name is correct, even though we all know exactly who I was talking about.

Oh, and Mike Glennon just got a $19 million guaranteed for having a 5-13 record as a starter...is he worth it? Market value is changing before our eyes, bud. But you keep trying to qualify what a "franchise QB" should make.

And lastly, EVERY year we get a new 49er thread here, boom or bust. It has nothing to do with how they finish...it just so happens that they've been underwhelming the past few years. Even when they went to the SB, we got a new thread. So your post showing the end of the year "new thread" posts is pretty weak. Of COURSE I'm gonna say "let's start new" when a season ends bad. What should I do, say "Hey, we're winning it all next year, let's start a new thread so it can be ALL WINNING"?

LOLZ

Oh man...I just realized hat I keep asking you questions, which is pretty much asking you to post more. I must be a glutton for punishment. :lmao:
Dammit Wingnut.  Now everyone will get another novel on how he used to write for Niner Nation, therefore making him the utmost expert on the eternal and irreversible fall of the 49ers, and how anyone who still enjoys discussing the team with even a hint of hope for the future is delusional and a pawn for the York family. 

Thanks buddy.................... :wall:

Wingnut said:
So you post a SINGLE GAME stat line to back up your blanket statement?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:  

Straw grasping at its finest. Congrats, you've passed every troll in the 49er threads. ImTheScientist's posts aren't as painful as yours, bro.

I have a serious question tho. What do my past posts expressing disappointment have to do with what's happening now? Totally different year, personell, and situation on every level. 

Oh man...I just realized that I keep asking you questions, which is pretty much asking you to post more. I must be a glutton for punishment. :lmao:

And kudos for using an autocorrect  (Jess vs Jeff) as ammo. It really shows your level of petiness. We all know his name is Jeff. I don't always proofread my posts, and autocorrect sometimes "fixes" what it thinks is wrong. I probably typed Jegg or Jedd as Im not awesome on touch keyboards...and yet that was the only thing you keyed on. Way to go. From now on I'll try to make sure every name is correct, even though we all know exactly who I was talking about.
I asked you if he is better than Eli Manning first. You have yet to answer that question, and when you do, you are closer to the cookie jar. 

efactor said:
Dammit Wingnut.  Now everyone will get another novel on how he used to write for Niner Nation, therefore making him the utmost expert on the eternal and irreversible fall of the 49ers, and how anyone who still enjoys discussing the team with even a hint of hope for the future is delusional and a pawn for the York family. 

Thanks buddy.................... :wall:
It your head Mr Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless 49er Season. 

Wingnut said:
Oh, and Mike Glennon just got a $19 million guaranteed for having a 5-13 record as a starter...is he worth it? Market value is changing before our eyes, bud. But you keep trying to qualify what a "franchise QB" should make.

And lastly, EVERY year we get a new 49er thread here, boom or bust. It has nothing to do with how they finish...it just so happens that they've been underwhelming the past few years. Even when they went to the SB, we got a new thread. So your post showing the end of the year "new thread" posts is pretty weak. Of COURSE I'm gonna say "let's start new" when a season ends bad. What should I do, say "Hey, we're winning it all next year, let's start a new thread so it can be ALL WINNING"?

LOLZ
No, you give up on a season faster than Browns fans, so therefore the reason why all those threads like: 

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/705830-the-8-8-san-francisco-49ers-lets-forget-2014-thread/

Again, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless 49er Season. 

And before catch says "Ignore feature" again: 

I just gave this thread legs again, and you should thank me instead of ignore..

Truth. 

I am posting this because wingnut choses to "ignore" who this guy is: 

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/WHO-IS-PARAAG-MARATHE-Numbers-added-up-to-2703495.php

Anyone following the 49ers' upheaval the last month ran across the name of Paraag Marathe. The assistant to the general manager's rapid ascension within the 49ers caught the notice of the rest of the league during the team's recent shakeup.

Who is this 28-year-old whiz kid? How did this man with an MBA from Stanford with little grounding in football become one of four people choosing the 49ers' next coach and establishing the direction of an organization adrift? Because nobody knew the answers to these questions, Marathe became a lightning rod for the general dismay with the organization among columnists, radio talk-show hosts and even the NFL set, who openly wondered what he was doing in the team's brain trust.

Marathe (pronounced mah-RAH-tay) became the unwitting victim of what many perceived as co-owner John York's NFL ignorance. It's a fact this business consultant from San Jose, via Cal and Stanford, impressed York after then- general manager Terry Donahue brought him in and was a big influence on the coaching search. But he is not expected to play a major role, as yet, in the organization.

Still, there was cause for wonder, when York didn't lean on someone such as personnel consultant Bill McPherson, who has been working for the 49ers for the past 24 years and has a 50-year association with football, to find and hire a head coach. Instead, York chose Marathe and assistant director of football administration Terry Tumey to assist him.

A new way to draft

Until this offseason, Marathe was known to those who followed the 49ers closely as a product of Donahue's search for a new way to analyze the draft.

Donahue, as he replaced Bill Walsh in 2000, realized he didn't possess Walsh's unparalleled draft-day instincts. He needed to find another way. One general manager who met with Donahue during this process said the former UCLA head coach was looking for a "magic book -- something that would tell him how to do this."

In searching for an answer, Donahue reverted to his business background, and in 2001 he contacted Bain & Company, a consulting firm that develops business strategies. Specifically, Donahue wanted Bain to update the old Gil Brandt system of assigning values to slots in the draft.

In the 1970s, Brandt, who was the Cowboys' personnel head, put a value on each draft pick, so on draft day the Cowboys could quickly reject or accept trades. For example, Brandt wanted to know if the 23rd overall selection was worth trading for the 57th and 58th choices.

Bain sent Marathe. His draft analysis was so incisive, Donahue hired him shortly after they met.

Marathe worked for the 49ers full-time in 2001 and then entered Stanford's business school the next year. While working on projects for the 49ers, Marathe earned his MBA.

"Stanford business school discourages students from having jobs," said IMG vice president Steve Tseng, who mentored Marathe when Marathe interned at the large sports-entertainment firm while an undergraduate at Cal. "He was working 45 hours a week."

York's golden boy

The industrious Marathe won the admiration of York, a licensed pathologist who admittedly relied heavily on his business background (running laboratories and race tracks) to steer his ownership of the 49ers.

"John is a scientist," a source close to York said on the condition of anonymity. "He loves proofs and statistical models."

In his projects, Marathe created graphs and charts that impressed York. After working with the 49ers for 18 months, Marathe befriended Jed York, John's eldest son. Seemingly, as the 23-year-old Jed became more visible at the 49ers' headquarters, eventually joining high-level meetings, so did Marathe.

Marathe's ascension coincided with the departure of Walsh and director of football operations John McVay, which could have been more than a coincidence. Privately, neither liked the statistical approach Donahue espoused. Marathe and his computer shot down Walsh and McVay's trade proposals during the 2003 draft. This didn't sit well with either man, who had built the 49ers' success partly on their impulses.

Contacted recently, Walsh didn't want to comment on the team's direction.

"Can a computer help determine who you pick on draft day?" Walsh asked. "I don't know, maybe it can."

Donahue also declined to comment.

As Walsh's influence faded, Donahue's system, which he kept secret for the most part, took root. Donahue and York allowed Marathe to hire interns to watch film and provide the scouting department with new statistics on players.

But Dennis Erickson's old-school coaches weren't informed of these hires. So they walked past Marathe's interns "breaking down" film and wondered what was going on.

In the meantime, Donahue instituted a "tick" system whereby coaches and scouts had to dole out ticks in their player evaluations and then a percentage was determined. Ticks were earned on production -- the number of catches made compared to passes thrown, the number of blocks executed, the number of tackles made when a player was in position to tackle.

Thus, it could be said that a linebacker made a tackle 83 percent of the time he had the opportunity.

Some scouts and coaches found the information useless and a distraction from actually evaluating what the player could do.

Meanwhile, York was making cuts to nearly every department, and seemingly the only area that was expanding belonged to Marathe.

Clash of styles

Coaches and scouts felt usurped and then frustrated when several of the draft picks weren't productive. Erickson lost confidence in Donahue's system, particularly in light of the disastrous results on the field.

Through all of this, Marathe feels that his influence was greatly misconstrued.

"What I do is only a tool," he said. "When you are making an investment of $20 million in a player, you want as much information as possible."

Marathe also maintains that the development of his area was never meant to minimize scouting.

"Nothing that was developed cannibalized our scouting or personnel," Marathe said. "If it did cannibalize that part of it, I wouldn't want to be involved in it anymore. Scouting is the lifeblood of the (evaluation process) and it always will be."

In fact, personnel only consumes a quarter of his duties, Marathe said. Most of his time is spent on salary-cap analysis.

Nevertheless, Marathe was asked by York to lead the head-coaching research, and his profile skyrocketed.

Marathe studied 120 coaches to determine where the most successful NFL coaches come from, and what makes them excel once they have the job. Along with other factors, Marathe discovered that coaches who were with successful teams and worked with winning coaches made the best future coach.

The 49ers' short list of candidates was determined partly by Marathe's criteria. The interview process included a meal with John and Jed York, and then a sit-down with John York, Marathe and Tumey. York ultimately determined the next man to lead the 49ers.

York said Marathe was involved in the head-coaching interviews because York trusted him. Marathe had helped billion-dollar corporations hire CEO's when he was at Bain, and like it or not, an NFL head coach must have CEO characteristics in today's NFL.

It might have been assumed Marathe would influence York to hire a coach who embraced Marathe's statistical program. Of the five candidates, Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz was the most enamored of statistical analysis and Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Nolan the least.

Nolan was hired, and even though Marathe will have significant say in salary-cap matters, he's not the power broker many assumed he would be when he was included in the interview process.

"I think Paraag is clearly the salary-cap person and negotiator, I don't think at this point in time that Paraag has the experience to be the general manager," York said. "I think over time that he could."

A win for Marathe

With Donahue's dismissal, the personnel department has been granted more freedom in its evaluation process. A team of three high school coaches was assembled by Marathe to watch film and determine the "ticks," not the coaches or scouts. Nolan, who will help hire the personnel head, is likely to favor a man with more NFL football grounding than Donahue possessed.

Nevertheless, Marathe will continue to make a mark on the organization and many within the building believe that could be a positive.

"The only environment where you'd be ashamed to have an MBA from Stanford is the NFL," said Kirk Reynolds, the team's director of public relations. "He's a guy who can bring a different thought-process."

Anybody read the above? 

Because Marathe was again involved in the latest coaching search. 

Thus, Marathe's analytics guy. 

Wingfactor, youse thoughts? 

*obligatory catch ignore*

http://www.knbr.com/2017/03/14/after-signing-11-free-agents-49ers-still-have-the-most-cap-room-in-the-nfl-report/

After signing 11 free agents, 49ers still have the most cap room in the NFL

Former 49ers GM Trent Baalke has become the gift that keeps on giving.

After signing Brian Hoyer, Pierre Garcon, Marquise Goodwin, Kyle Juszczyk, Logan Paulsen, Macolm Smith, Matt Barkley, Aldrick Robinson, Brock Coyle, Don Nelson and Robbie Gould, San Francisco still has the most cap room in the NFL.

To compare, there are teams like the Philadelphia Eagles who are so strapped for cash, they are cutting players such as quarterback Chase Daniel.

Earlier on Tuesday, NFL Network ace reporter Ian Rapoport praised GM John Lynch for not splurging in free agency.

“They got smart, tough football players and they didn’t go crazy paying for them,” Rapoport said. “And they didn’t create unreal expectations by signing the highest priced guys at their position. I thought they did fine.”

With 65 players officially on the books, the 49ers are not done spending yet. They’ll add 10 players in the NFL Draft, a handful of undrafted guys (Shanahan’s specialty), but will still probably have room for a few more veteran names. Cap room carries over from year-to-year, so by not splashing in free agency for big names, the 49ers are setting themselves up to make more aggressive roster moves in the future. It’s a smart, shrewd strategy for a first-time front office.

What’s more telling is that many of the players the 49ers chose not to re-sign have still not been picked up. Lynch and Shanahan did an excellent job of trimming some of the fat that was holding back the roster. Torrey Smith (Philadelphia), Antoine Bethea (Arizona), Phil Dawson (Arizona) and Marcus Martin (Cleveland) are the only former 49ers who have found new homes so far in free agency.

The only other rumored big name free-agent who is linked to San Francisco is former Kansas City defensive lineman Dontari Poe, who is taking his sweet time with an enlarged market. The other name that I’m hearing is being discussed behind the scenes is wide receiver Andrew Hawkins. In 2014, the former Cleveland Brown put up career numbers with Brian Hoyer and Shanahan in Cleveland. Goodwin and Robinson are the smaller, speedy guys on the roster, but Hawkins and Hoyer’s chemistry was undeniable with the Browns.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/lynch-outpaces-five-years-baalkes-early-49ers-free-agent-signings

The 49ers’ new regime crammed five Trent Baalke years of free agency into the first two days of the new league year.

From 2012 to ’16, the 49ers signed just 11 players in the first week of the free-agent signing periods. Under new general manager John Lynch, the 49ers last week matched the number of those signings in the first 31 hours.

Baalke, in his final year as 49ers general manager, was especially tentative. The new league year began on March 9. The next day, the 49ers signed reserve quarterback Thad Lewis to a one-year contract.

The 49ers’ most-significant free-agent addition last year came 13 days after the opening of the signing period with the acquisition of offensive lineman Zane Beadles, whom the Jacksonville Jaguars released three weeks earlier.

Lynch advised 49ers fans to "stay awake" for the opening of free agency, and he made good on his promise. What might have been lacking in star power, the 49ers made up for it in sheer volume.

The 49ers signed 11 free agents to play for new coach Kyle Shanahan:

QB Brian Hoyer
QB Matt Barkley
FB Kyle Juszczyk
WR Pierre Garçon
WR Marquise Goodwin
WR Aldrick Robinson
TE Logan Paulsen
K Robbie Gould
LB Malcolm Smith
LB Brock Coyle
DB Don Jones

With the contracts of 65 players registered by the NFL Players Association (Robinson, Coyle and Jones have yet to be processed), the 49ers still have a league-high $81.08 million in salary cap room with 65 players under contract. Tennessee has the next-highest amount with $55.3 million in cap room.

“I think we were very strategic setting out with where we felt we needed to improve our team,” Lynch said after the first wave of signings.

“While there’s a lot of numbers, we didn’t reach for anything. We found guys that fit it, if not we’ll wait. So I think while the numbers are big and we’re really happy about that, we felt like we found guys that we were excited about being here.”

The 49ers can rollover all of their unused cap space to future seasons to invest in a big-money quarterback, such as Kirk Cousins, and re-sign any players they wish to retain to multi-year contracts.

Under Baalke, the 49ers rarely acted quickly on the free-agent market. Here’s a look at the team’s signings in the first week of March free agency after the league’s collective-bargaining agreement went into affect in the summer of 2011:

CB Perrish Cox
RB Rock Cartwright

DL Glenn Dorsey
LB Dan Skuta
DB Craig Dahl

S Antoine Bethea
CB Chris Cook

WR Torrey Smith
CB Shareece Wright
OL Erik Pears

QB Thad Lewis

ESPN ranks 49ers as the 4th-most improved team in free agency

John Clayton of ESPN had good things to say about the San Francisco 49ers' approach to free agency so far. Earlier on Tuesday, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media had a similar opinion of the team's moves. The 49ers aren't making big, flashy signings, but they are slowly adding skill and depth to a team that previously had very little. The idea behind the 49ers' approach to free agency seems to be sustained long-term growth rather than costly moves that may make an immediate impact but hurt the team financially down the road.

Head coach Kyle Shanahan and general manager John Lynch have time – years, in fact. They can take a slower, methodical approach to the much-needed rebuild because they each have six-year contracts and all signs from ownership seem to indicate that they will be given the time needed to properly rebuild the roster.

In Clayton's ESPN article, he ranked the most improved teams after the first surge of NFL free agency. The 49ers came in fourth, behind just the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Detroit Lions, and the Tennessee Titans. What contributed to that ranking by Clayton? He liked that the 49ers weren't among the teams that went on a spending spree in the opening days of free agency. While they did not sign top-tier names that would have made big headlines, they did make good use of their money by signing much-needed depth.

Clayton feels that Brian Hoyer and Matt Barley can hold down the quarterback position for a year until the team can address the spot in 2018 – whether that be with Kirk Cousins or someone from what is believed to be a better quarterback draft class.

"You could argue about the value of giving Garçon $17 million guaranteed, but he's much better than any receiver they put on the field last season, and he has experience with Shanahan from their time with the Redskins," Clayton wrote.

As mentioned, Rapoport had a similar opinion. "There's been some draft picks that have been good but mostly they have not drafted well," the NFL Network and NFL.com reporter said on KNBR Tuesday. "So the only way to make up for that is to go build a middle class in free agency and that's what you did. I mean, I don't know if Pierre Garçon is going to set anyone's world on fire, but to me, that was a really smart signing. He's a good receiver. He can help teach the system. Marquise Goodwin can be a really good player. Juszczyk is going to be a really good player."

The 49ers still have the most amount of cap space in the league with about $80 million (per the NFLPA) but don't look for them to go on another spending spree. They obviously want to sign players who fit what Shanahan wants to accomplish. Signing players like Garçon, Hoyer, and others who are familiar with Shanahan's system and can teach it to their new teammates is huge. To some, a signing like Kyle Juszczyk may seem like they overspent, but Shanahan will likely use him differently than he was used in Baltimore. His role should be bigger. Besides, they paid what the market set for the fullback. In fact, Juszczyk turned down more money to join Shanahan and the 49ers.

Since the official start of free agency on Thursday, most of those acquired were signed to one- or two-year contracts. Those players may simply be placeholders until replacements can be found via the draft. Since Thursday, three players were signed to lengthier contracts. They are Garçon (5 years), Juszczyk (4 years), and Malcolm Smith (5 years). With lots of cap space and six years of time ahead of them, the 49ers can build a team that can have long-term success and not just a brief turnaround

lol, i was just thinking the 49ers thread is almost as disfuntional as last year's team. Hoping for a better year for both in '17
Thank you.  Your kind hopes are appreciated, and while I believe that 2017 results will show that the team is headed in a positive direction, I don't have that same belief for this thread.  :no:

You may think drummer is trolling, but his assessment of the Yorks and especially Marathe is spot on.

It took an ego as big as Harbaugh's to shield the team from Maratheball and my hope for the team is that Lynch is the type of guy who can do that, as well. Because as long as Marathe and Jed are doing anything apart from setting up contracts, this franchise will remain a ####show.

You may think drummer is trolling, but his assessment of the Yorks and especially Marathe is spot on.

It took an ego as big as Harbaugh's to shield the team from Maratheball and my hope for the team is that Lynch is the type of guy who can do that, as well. Because as long as Marathe and Jed are doing anything apart from setting up contracts, this franchise will remain a ####show.
Most fans are in agreement on this at this point, but time to move on and talk about something other than how the team sucks because of the Yorks and Marathe.

Professional sports are a form of entertainment for even most hard core fans.  49ers fans who followed the team in the 80 and 90's watched an amazing run of success.  Up and down since then, more down that up, but part of the fun of following football is to speculate what needs to be done to turn things around.  Just going with the "everything sucks and is hopeless" stance isn't my idea of entertainment, but hey, that's just me.  My life isn't defined by how my sports team is currently performing.  Big SF Giants fan and the 3 titles were a lot of fun, but in the end, it didn't impact my day to day life any more that when they were the laughing stock of the National League. 

I feel pretty good about both the Lynch (he hired Peters away from the Broncos) and Shanahan hires.  I apologize in advance..........................

Most fans are in agreement on this at this point, but time to move on and talk about something other than how the team sucks because of the Yorks and Marathe.

Professional sports are a form of entertainment for even most hard core fans.  49ers fans who followed the team in the 80 and 90's watched an amazing run of success.  Up and down since then, more down that up, but part of the fun of following football is to speculate what needs to be done to turn things around.  Just going with the "everything sucks and is hopeless" stance isn't my idea of entertainment, but hey, that's just me.  My life isn't defined by how my sports team is currently performing.  Big SF Giants fan and the 3 titles were a lot of fun, but in the end, it didn't impact my day to day life any more that when they were the laughing stock of the National League. 

I feel pretty good about both the Lynch (he hired Peters away from the Broncos) and Shanahan hires.  I apologize in advance..........................
My thing is, if you look at the timeline starting with that old Marathe article to present day, and the win/loss records, the only outlying "data point" is the only head coach that didn't follow the York norm: 

Jim Harbaugh. 

To then have Jed and Paraag run him  out of town for Jim Tomsula is just flat out screwing the fans over. The Lynch AND Shanahan hires look like the same Marathe model he used to hire Nolan. 

But I am with you on the SF Giants. They are the only franchise I spend money on because I never expected them to win as many WS as they had, and baseball is baseball. Plus, I hate the South Bay lol. 

Users who are viewing this thread