What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cody Latimer (2 Viewers)

Would be redundant with Decker, IMO. Could see the Jets going for someone like Beckham or Lee.

It seems to have worked just fine for the Bears in deploying two big receivers.

Now granted Decker & Latimer wouldn't quite be on the same level as Marshall and Jeffery.

They are basically the same player.
:blankstare:
Nearly identical height/weight. Very similar playing style. Two guys who are sneaky athletic with good body control/ball skills.

Doesn't make much sense to use your 1st round pick on someone when you already have the equivalent on your roster.
When you have nothing but that guy it does.

The Bears shouldn't have picked Alshon Jeffery because he's so much like Brandon Marshall?

Now granted Decker & Latimer wouldn't quite be on the same level as Marshall and Jeffery.
Even then, I would say there's a pretty big difference between Marshall and Alshon with Marshall being more of a catch-and-run possession WR and Alshon offering a little more as a deep threat/jump ball guy. Similar height/weight. Different skill sets.

I'd actually say Decker is probably the closest NFL comparison for Latimer, so it would be weird to see the Jets take him just weeks after paying Decker the big bucks. Doesn't mean it can't happen. You can start multiple WRs, so there's not necessarily a problem with having two guys who do the same things, but there would probably be more tactical value and flexibility in having someone with a contrasting skill set. That could be either a smaller, quicker catch-and-run type like Cooks/Lee/Beckham/Ellington or a pure deep threat like Moncrief/Bryant. I'd guess that if the Jets use a top 75 pick on a WR (which seems likely) it will probably be someone like that.

Even then, I would say there's a pretty big difference between Marshall and Alshon with Marshall being more of a catch-and-run possession WR and Alshon offering a little more as a deep threat/jump ball guy. Similar height/weight. Different skill sets.

I'd actually say Decker is probably the closest NFL comparison for Latimer, so it would be weird to see the Jets take him just weeks after paying Decker the big bucks. Doesn't mean it can't happen. You can start multiple WRs, so there's not necessarily a problem with having two guys who do the same things, but there would probably be more tactical value and flexibility in having someone with a contrasting skill set. That could be either a smaller, quicker catch-and-run type like Cooks/Lee/Beckham/Ellington or a pure deep threat like Moncrief/Bryant. I'd guess that if the Jets use a top 75 pick on a WR (which seems likely) it will probably be someone like that.
I guess in my mind, it's more often than not the #3 guy that fits that mold.

Think Percy Harvin...or really any "slot" receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely varies. Pretty common to see teams with one guy who's more possession oriented and one guy who can stretch the field a bit. Steelers had Ward/Burress and Ward/Holmes. Cardinals had Boldin/Fitz. Ravens had Boldin/Smith. Texans had Walter/Andre. Bengals had Housh/Ocho. Titans right now have Wright/Hunter.

Not going to list every tandem in the NFL and obviously it's going to vary a bit by team philosophy, but I think it's better to have 3-4 guys who do slightly different things than to have an army of clones. With Latimer being so similar to Decker, I don't know how much value he'd add to a team like the Jets.

Stephen Hill is 6'4 215 as well.

Granted, I didn't think Hill would amount to anything even before he went to the Jets, but going to them made it easier to write him off. Question is, has this regime done the same? I agree with EBF that Beckham or Lee makes much more sense, but I don't associate logic with Jets' picks on offense. Rex knows defense, but his guys don't know offense.

Granted, I didn't think Hill would amount to anything even before he went to the Jets, but going to them made it easier to write him off. Question is, has this regime done the same? I agree with EBF that Beckham or Lee makes much more sense, but I don't associate logic with Jets' picks on offense. Rex knows defense, but his guys don't know offense.
Like I said, I think Beckham is gone by the Jets' pick. Lee makes sense too.

But I think they still need another WR with some size/bulk.

Then they could target someone like Paul Richardson or Bruce Ellington later.

I'd draft offense all day long if I were the Jets.

Like I said, I think Beckham is gone by the Jets' pick. Lee makes sense too.

But I think they still need another WR with some size/bulk.
I write this with no confidence the Jets would use him properly, but Geno needs a close to the LoS YAC guy. Both Beckham and Lee are that guy and they can stretch the field too. The current Jets weapons, sans Kerley, are better down field guys.

Have we heard how good of a run blocker Latimer is?
Limited viewing, but he seemed willing in the few games I watched. Always the biggest hurdle with getting WR's to block.
I thought his blocking was very good in the games I watched. He engages defenders, gets inside hands and drives. Great timing on cut blocks and targets well. I was very impressed with his blocking, granted it was only a few games. Still he was impressive vs. MSU who was known to have aggressive and physical CBs.

Without knowing how that compares to guys like Beckham, Lee, and Cooks I'd say that'd be another plus for him being a Jet.
I'd be comfortable saying he's a better blocker than all 3. His size is a huge advantage in that department vs. those guys.

Definitely varies. Pretty common to see teams with one guy who's more possession oriented and one guy who can stretch the field a bit. Steelers had Ward/Burress and Ward/Holmes. Cardinals had Boldin/Fitz. Ravens had Boldin/Smith. Texans had Walter/Andre. Bengals had Housh/Ocho. Titans right now have Wright/Hunter.

Not going to list every tandem in the NFL and obviously it's going to vary a bit by team philosophy, but I think it's better to have 3-4 guys who do slightly different things than to have an army of clones. With Latimer being so similar to Decker, I don't know how much value he'd add to a team like the Jets.
As long as they are catching TDs I don't see why this matters.

Rotoworld:

Indiana WR Cody Latimer met with the Ravens last week.
Baltimore has already shown a level of interest in the Hoosiers' star, dispatching WR coach Bobby Engram to his pro day workout. Baltimore, picking No. 17, is probably slotted a bit too high to select Latimer, but nobody will bat an eye if he's selected in the 20s. The 6-foot-2, 215-pounder ran a 4.39 forty at the exhibition Engram took in on a healing foot that wasn't 100-percent healthy. He also owns a 39-inch vertical jump. He'll be totally healed by the time camp rolls around.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Indiana WR Cody Latimer sees draft interest skyrocketBy Chase Goodbread

College Football 24/7 writer

NEW YORK -- The Philadelphia Eagles, Carolina Panthers and Baltimore Ravens have shown the most pre-draft interest in Cody Latimer, one of the NFL draft's fastest risers, the former Indiana wide receiver told College Football 24/7 Tuesday.

But it took a dazzling pro-day performance to spark Latimer's late surge as one of the draft's top prospects.

The Eagles could look to the draft for a replacement for departed star receiver DeSean Jackson, and Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome indicated his club is likely good for a pick at that position, as well. Meanwhile, the Panthers are among the league's most receiver-depleted teams, so much so that NFL Media analyst Charles Davis suggested last month that the club could see fit to invest four draft picks in receivers alone.

If any of them want Latimer, they ought not wait too long.

In a draft pool that has been lauded for its depth at the receiver position, however, Latimer has managed to climb the ladder quickly in a short period of time. He is convinced his official pro-day times of 4.44 and 4.45 seconds in the 40-yard dash, even at a point where his recovery from a foot injury hadn't yet allowed him to participate fully, propelled him.

"It's been a blessing, coming off the injuries and pretty much missing the combine and not being able to run and train during the foot injury. It's a little setback," Latimer said. "Coaches didn't really get to see me in action, so I felt like on pro day, I had to prove what I can do. It helped me a lot, to shoot up the draft boards."

The result was 11 post-pro day visits with NFL clubs, and Latimer doesn't even recall visiting one team prior to the March 26 workout. Latimer is among 30 draft prospects who have been invited to attend the draft in person at Radio City Music Hall. Some of those are certain to be chosen in the first round of the draft on Thursday, though Latimer could be a second-day pick in Round 2 or 3 on Friday. Either way, he's thrilled.

"It still hasn't really hit me yet," he said.

If he's lucky, it will hit him on Thursday.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

Xue said:
Time Kibitzer said:
Been looking at the WRs a little more closely this past week, here's some of my thoughts on a few guys:

Going by nfldraftscout, Odell Beckham Jr. is pretty overrated right now. Guy's just too small and too slow to ever be a WR1 in the NFL imo; he's got nice WR skills and makes sharp cuts, but that's not enough for me to think he's worth being selected in the 1st or 2nd round which is where nfldraftscout currently has him. He's more of a 3rd round kinda player imo. And as someone who generally only spends their rookie picks on players with WR1 upside, Beckham's likely not gonna end up on any of my teams.

I know Jared Abbrederis is getting a lot of love at the Senior Bowl right now, but watching his college highlights I come away thinking he kind of sucks. He doesn't have much going for him besides being pretty fast. He's really skinny, is of a mediocre height, and he body catches too much. Guy's gonna have lots of trouble finding an NFL endzone; I wouldn't touch him in fantasy drafts.

I'm pretty sure I talked about him earlier in this thread, but Cody Latimer is probably my favourite sleeper prospect right now. Guy's just one smooth operator; has fantastic WR skills, catches the ball with his hands every time, wins jump balls consistently, gets behind defenders consistently, and he has good/great size at ~6'3 215lbs. He doesn't really make defenders miss and he might not have great acceleration out of cuts, but I think he's closer to a 2nd round prospect than a 4th-5th round prospect where nfldraftscout currently has him.
Beckham is not too small or too slow. He's a much better prospect than Kendall Wright was. He plays much bigger than his size due to his huge catch radius. I wouldn't fault teams taking him in the late 1st.

Abbrederis has been catching everything thrown to him at Senior Bowl and has been getting open consistently. Sometimes the best comes out of guys when they're around top competition. Markus Wheaton, for one, did some things at the Senior Bowl last year I didn't see on tape when it came to route running.

Latimer is a guy who I think is going to shoot up boards after the combine. He's what we think Moncrief is.
Time Kibitzer mentioned he was a 4-5th rounder at the time. NFLDS now has him as a 2nd.

Another example of groupthink by major media guys.

Rotoworld:

Broncos traded up with the 49ers to select Indiana WR Cody Latimer with the No. 56 overall pick in the 2014 draft.
It's a very suitable Eric Decker replacement. Latimer (6-foot-2 5/8, 215) made 24 starts in three seasons with the Hoosiers, ringing up 135 grabs for 2,042 yards (15.1 YPR) and 17 touchdowns, also shining as a tackler on IU's special teams units. Latimer broke his foot at February's Combine, but rebounded to run in the 4.39-4.44 range at Indiana's Pro Day, adding a 39-inch vertical. A West Coast-style possession receiver with velcro hands and a plus catch radius (32 5/8-inch arms), Latimer is only 21 with room to grow into a quality No. 2 wideout. He dropped just one pass among 119 senior-year targets. Latimer has physical tools to beat man coverage and is a noticeably competitive player on film. He'll start off as the No. 4 receiver, but will be one injury away from some serious re-draft fantasy appeal.

Denver Broncos draft Cody Latimer at No. 56By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

The Denver Broncos have spent much of the offseason focused on improving their defense. But they aren't going to let Peyton Manning enter 2014 with a deficit of weapons.

Broncos general manager and executive VP John Elway traded up to select wide receiver Cody Latimer out of Indiana with the No. 56 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. It's another fun addition for Denver in an offseason full of them.

Latimer is a little raw and inexperienced in his route running -- basketball was his first love -- but he looks like a first-round talent. He has excellent size and speed, and the Broncos won't need to force him into a huge role right away with Demaryius Thomas, Julius Thomas, Wes Welker and Emmanuel Sanders hogging up targets.

Elway has found good value thus far in the draft with cornerback Bradley Roby and Latimer. Coupled with the team's free-agent additions, the Broncos look loaded for bear and ready to be the favorite in the AFC once again.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" provided instant reaction to all the wild happenings in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

The Eric Decker clone replaces...Eric Decker.

Only question is...will he hit his prime before Manning is toast? Most likely won't hit the ground running with a dominant rookie campaign.

The Eric Decker clone replaces...Eric Decker.

Only question is...will he hit his prime before Manning is toast? Most likely won't hit the ground running with a dominant rookie campaign.
He might be better than Decker right now. Elway is the man

Thought there'd be a little more excitement based on the draft slot/situation. Seems like a great fit. Could see him outproducing several of the WRs picked ahead of him. As much as I respect Seattle's front office, the Paul Richardson pick was :oldunsure: .

Thought there'd be a little more excitement based on the draft slot/situation. Seems like a great fit. Could see him outproducing several of the WRs picked ahead of him.

As much as I respect Seattle's front office, the Paul Richardson pick was :oldunsure: .
I like the situation as well. For now Sanders is the #2 but I won't be surprised if Latimer is the #2 next year. Sanders is basically on a 1 year, $6M deal with $4M and $5M options after that.

Richardson is what they wanted Lockette to be and he's a lot cheaper than DeSean. The pick makes sense for them since they want to open up the middle of the field for Harvin.

Thought there'd be a little more excitement based on the draft slot/situation. Seems like a great fit. Could see him outproducing several of the WRs picked ahead of him.

As much as I respect Seattle's front office, the Paul Richardson pick was :oldunsure: .
I like the situation as well. For now Sanders is the #2 but I won't be surprised if Latimer is the #2 next year. Sanders is basically on a 1 year, $6M deal with $4M and $5M options after that.

Richardson is what they wanted Lockette to be and he's a lot cheaper than DeSean. The pick makes sense for them since they want to open up the middle of the field for Harvin.
Richardson seems a little Brandon Lloyd to me. He makes some crazy catches. The last thing Sea needed was a a WR without size with Harvin nd Baldwin.

Sanders is a JAG. Showed that last year in Pitt when he was a ghost. He's keeping the seat warm, if anything.

Latimer is the logical replacement for Decker. If only we knew Peyton was going to play 3-4 more years.

Sanders is a JAG. Showed that last year in Pitt when he was a ghost. He's keeping the seat warm, if anything.

Latimer is the logical replacement for Decker. If only we knew Peyton was going to play 3-4 more years.
Latimer is the logical replacement for Decker....and Demaryius if he doesn't get re-signed.

On the other hand... odds are pretty solid that Latimer's never going to face CB1 coverage -- and that's worth a ton to him IMO. He should be fine with even an average QB. I actually like this spot for him.

Rotoworld:
CBS Denver has been "told" that second-round WR Cody Latimer will compete for a starting job "this year."

We wouldn't read too much into this as coaches aren't going to rule out anything in May. They're going to preach competition right up to Week 1. But if by some chance the sticky-fingered Latimer is able to unseat Emmanuel Sanders at any point in the season, his fantasy upside will be massive. If not, Latimer will have to wait until 2015 -- when Wes Welker is a free agent -- to really make his mark.

Source: Vic Lombardi on Twitter

I keep seeing this stuff about Wes Welker when people are talking about Latimer.

Who are they thinking is going to replace Decker? Am I spacing on someone?

I keep seeing this stuff about Wes Welker when people are talking about Latimer.

Who are they thinking is going to replace Decker? Am I spacing on someone?
Apparently they think Emmanuel Sanders may this year and once Wes Welker moves on Latimer will move into the starting lineup and maybe push sanders to the slot. That is what I read into it .

CBS Denver has been "told" that second-round WR Cody Latimer will compete for a starting job "this year."
He'll compete for the starting job just like Montee Ball did last year.

The Broncos drafted Latimer for 2015 at the earliest, not 2014.

Rotoworld:

We wouldn't read too much into this as coaches aren't going to rule out anything in May. They're going to preach competition right up to Week 1. But if by some chance the sticky-fingered Latimer is able to unseat Emmanuel Sanders at any point in the season, his fantasy upside will be massive. If not, Latimer will have to wait until 2015 -- when Wes Welker is a free agent -- to really make his mark.

Source: Vic Lombardi on Twitter
Isn't every player competing for a starting job?

Report: Broncos' Cody Latimer to be limited until campBy Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

Broncos second-round draft pick Cody Latimer couldn't have landed in a finer spot as a young wide receiver, but his first hurdle as a pro comes immediately.

Mike Klis of The Denver Post reported Wednesday that the former Indiana University pass-catcher will be limited through the start of training camp as he mends a fractured fifth metatarsal in his foot.

Latimer skipped everything but the bench press at this year's combine after undergoing surgery in January. He came back to impress teams at his Pro Day in March with dazzling 40 times of 4.39 and 4.43 to go with his 39-inch vertical jump.

The Broncos have been here before with their receiving corps. Demaryius Thomas was drafted in the first round in 2010 after suffering a broken foot at the combine, while the now-departed Eric Decker was picked in that year's third round despite a sprained Lisfranc.

Both emerged as key contributors in Denver's Peyton Manning-led offense, and the Broncos have faith that Latimer will do the same. One local report even suggests the team expects him to roar back to compete for a starting gig "this year," per KCNC-TV's Vic Lombardi. "Not next year."

It's far too early to project where Latimer will wind up on September's depth chart, but we know this: The Broncos aren't in panic mode over the rookie's long-term outlook in this record-setting air attack.

The "Around The League Podcast" wrapped up the draft by picking our winners and losers.

Users who are viewing this thread