What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kenny Golladay, NYG (4 Viewers)

Kenny Golladay failed to record a target in the Giants' Week 17 loss to the Bears.

The Giants refused to pass until the game was out of hand, so all of their pass-catchers struggled big time. With almost every starting receiver except Kenny Golladay out, there was some optimism that the highly paid free agent signing could make some noise against a beatable Bears secondary, but New York’s gameplan erased that optimism quickly. All Giants receivers are off the fantasy radar given the quarterback situation right now.

Jan 2, 2022, 3:59 PM ET

What a bust. Loved him as a FA, but it did not work out. Lot of this is on the team, but Kenny also was terrible.
I put it more on the team than Golladay. Why sign a downfield WR who wins jump balls as well as anybody, and then not make either of those skills a part of the offense? Garrett was canned, and justifiably, but that changed nothing. 

They did probably overpay Golladay, but he's still a very good WR, just in a horrible situation. 

The thing you worry about with a guy like Golladay, is that as a 3rd round pick he never really had expectations. So he totally cashed in and became a millionaire in a big way.

He never has to worry about playing football ever again. This is why I like drafting players who are still playing on their rookie deals. Like Rashaad Penny, every 25 yards is another $500,000 at this point lol. Somebody is gonna overpay that cat but I think a guy like that has to love football to come all the way back to be the man.

KENNY GOLLADAY WR, NEW YORK GIANTS

New Giants coach Brian Daboll said he's gone back and watched a lot of pre-2021 film on Kenny Golladay and Kadarius Toney to figure how to best utilize the receivers.

Golladay's first season with the Giants was a failure no matter how we look at it. He missed three games to injuries and caught just 37-of-76 targets for 521 scoreless yards, averaging a career-low 14.1 yards per catch. Toney had an electric 10-189 game against Dallas in Week 5 but would end up missing six of the final seven games to injury. OC Jason Garrett never really seemed to have a grasp of how to run a playmaking offense, but Daboll comes from Buffalo where he had Stefon Diggs and Gabriel Davis. Daniel Jones is no Josh Allen, of course, but it's very reasonable to expect Daboll to get a whole heck of a lot more out of his offense than Garrett did in his time. There's some serious bounce-back appeal to Golladay and second-year breakout potential for Toney in what will be a pass-first offense.

RELATED: 

Kadarius Toney

SOURCE: Zack Rosenblatt on Twitter

Mar 30, 2022, 1:10 PM ET

NJ.com's Zack Rosenblatt - Giants’ Brian Daboll has simple (but smart) plan for how to highlight Kenny Golladay, Kadarius Toney, Saquon Barkley

Excerpt:

PALM BEACH, Fla. — The Giants paid $72 million for a wide receiver last year and all they got to show for it was 521 yards and no touchdowns. To say Kenny Golladay was a disappointment in his first year with the Giants would be an understatement.

He was paid to be their No. 1 receiver, and instead he was often an afterthought in the offense. Golladay expressed his frustration with offensive coordinator Jason Garrett on multiple occasions both publicly and privately, which included a blow-up on the sideline in Week 2.

The reason: Golladay came to the Giants best known for his skills on 50/50 balls, deep passes down the sideline and for his red zone presence — and that’s not really how he was being used. He often was ignored in big moments (like on third down) and rarely was targeted downfield.

Assuming Golladay can stay healthy in 2022 — no guarantee — misusing a $72 million receiver shouldn’t be as much of an issue with the Giants’ new coaching staff led by Brian Daboll.

“He’s a big bodied guy that makes contested catches,” Daboll said at the NFL Annual Meeting on Tuesday morning.

Daboll led one of the best offenses in the NFL the last few years with the Bills, and he’s inheriting arguably the worst offense in the league over the last two years. Daboll’s approach to putting players like Golladay, Kadarius Toney and Saquon Barkley in position to make plays is a simple, but smart, concept: Figure out what they do best, then put them in position to do those things.

Garrett struggled to do that — and before Joe Judge fired him last season, he publicly admitted that the Giants needed to do a better job of featuring their playmakers. It still didn’t happen after that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenny Golladay was not targeted in Sunday's preseason game against the Bengals.​

That is despite the fact that Golladay was on the field for 21 of Daniel Jones' 24 snaps. Jones instead locked onto role players Collin Johnson and David Sills. Rather than generating bounce-back buzz this summer, Golladay has had the Giants press corps questioning his effectiveness and commitment level. A complete mismatch with Jones' skill-set, Golladay could be in for another long year even with former Bills OC Brian Daboll at the controls.
SOURCE: Jordan Raanan on Twitter
Aug 21, 2022, 11:03 PM ET

He's definitely not a bum, but he's not a good match with Jones. Golladay needs to be thrown in contested spots where he wins with elite ball skills ( a la Mike Williams/Dez Bryant to some extent). Jones doesn't throw into tight windows unless he sees separation, which Golladay doesn't do. Jones has to take the next step as a QB in order to use him effectively.

He has zero separation and looks completely pedestrian. If he didn’t get one of the most ridiculous contracts I can remember no one would pay any attention to him. He’s one of reasons why I’m loading up on Toney is every draft. If he’s on the other side Toney is going to EAT.

Chris Harris flag player only because he’s basically free and we’ve seen him do 1100-10 lol but the theory that he doesn’t care anymore feels about right

Kenny Golladay failed to catch his only target in New York's 27-31 loss to the Jets in their preseason finale.​

Golladay played with what remained of the first team in New York, showing rough effort as a run blocker and not really contributing much. He played 51 preseason snaps and had one catch for six yards. If everyone had been healthy, that might be something to write off. The vibes coming off of the performance -- with beat writers asking if Golladay's roster spot could be in jeopardy -- are harder to ignore. “All those receivers are competing … Joe and I will sit back and talk about everything," Brian Daboll said when asked about Golladay's roster spot. Golladay's ADP is plummeting for a reason.
SOURCE: Jordan Raanan on Twitter
Aug 28, 2022, 5:23 PM ET

I refuse to believe he's this bad - really hoping the new coaching staff find a way to tap into that huge potential he showed in Detroit.

I refuse to believe he's this bad - really hoping the new coaching staff find a way to tap into that huge potential he showed in Detroit.
I think the operative word is "showed". Not sure if he just doesn't have that potential any more, is complacent from being overpaid, or some combination of the two. I'm going to let someone else find out though in my draft tomorrow.

I think the operative word is "showed". Not sure if he just doesn't have that potential any more, is complacent from being overpaid, or some combination of the two. I'm going to let someone else find out though in my draft tomorrow.
He really does come across as someone who's become complacent after he got paid. I was concerned Leonard Williams would be like that too but he's put in more of an effort than I've seen from Golladay.

I think it's because he doesn't have Stafford throwing to him anymore.

I think it's because he doesn't have Stafford throwing to him anymore.
That may certainly be part of it, but Toney seemed to do well in the limited time he was healthy last year with Jones. Small sample size for sure, but still...

58%-58%-56%-62.5% was his catch ratio to targets thrown and in 2021 that number drops to 48%

Yds per target 9.9-8.9-10.3-10.6 and in 2021 that number drops to 6.9

Something happened between years 4 and 5, it's like he landed on a new team with a huge downgrade at QB and an OL that couldn't pass protect and there's a bunch of reasons but all that said, I'll let someone else enjoy his return to glory with Daniel Jones still throwing the football there in New York.

I have always thought I would make a bad pro athlete because if I ever got that signing bonus, you wouldn't see me again. I mean, I would deposit that check, and throw my phone in a trash can at the airport on my way to Belize.

I think Kenny Golladay has a little massraider in him.

You gotta face the facts, Super Bowl winning quarterback Matt Stafford made Kenny Golladay. Without Matt Stafford, Kenny Golladay is just another Northern Illinois alumni dreaming about the good old days in college. He never was good at getting separation and now he plays with a quarterback who can't throw a back shoulder throw to save his life.

He throws it right to the defender instead. Great contested ball catcher saddled with a QB who isn't an accurate thrower. Far cry from Matt Stafford throwing no lookers and rainbows 50+ yards downfield.

You gotta face the facts, Super Bowl winning quarterback Matt Stafford made Kenny Golladay. Without Matt Stafford, Kenny Golladay is just another Northern Illinois alumni dreaming about the good old days in college. He never was good at getting separation and now he plays with a quarterback who can't throw a back shoulder throw to save his life.

He throws it right to the defender instead. Great contested ball catcher saddled with a QB who isn't an accurate thrower. Far cry from Matt Stafford throwing no lookers and rainbows 50+ yards downfield.
This is why I am high on ARob this year. Going from Fields to Stafford should be an upgrade.

This is why I am high on ARob this year. Going from Fields to Stafford should be an upgrade.

He made Odell Beckham look like... Odell Beckham.

Giants GM Joe Schoen revealed Thursday that Kenny Golladay underwent an "unspecified medical procedure this past offseason."​

Well, "revealed" is a big strong. Schoen could have at least mentioned the body part. Golladay underwent the operation in the spring. The news comes the same day of a report that Golladay has been "running routes this summer with the stiffness of a mannequin." Golladay played deep into preseason games and earned universally negative reviews for his camp performance after an awful 2021. Were it not for his monster salary and the cap ramifications, Golladay would have probably already been released.
SOURCE: ESPN
Sep 1, 2022, 3:54 PM ET

Golladay is the worst free agent signing since I don't remember. Good for him tho. He made a lot of money off of 2 pair. And why shouldn't he have? NFL teams are always screwing over players, it's nice to see a player get one over them.

Golladay is the worst free agent signing since I don't remember. Good for him tho. He made a lot of money off of 2 pair. And why shouldn't he have? NFL teams are always screwing over players, it's nice to see a player get one over them.
In principle, I agree. But this sucks for Giants fans who have to not only watch this guy's uselessness, but also suffer a way worse roster due to all the cap space he ties up.

In principle, I agree. But this sucks for Giants fans who have to not only watch this guy's uselessness, but also suffer a way worse roster due to all the cap space he ties up.

This is where I land on guys getting paid big contracts. Darius Slayton just had his salary cut from $2.54M to the veteran league minimum of $965K. Happens on every team because it's a hard cap but it's grossly unfair to the athlete.

The Golladay contract totally sucks if you're a fan of Big Blue, though.

His cap implications for the next 2 years:
  • 2022: -$21.15M cap hit -$35.6M dead money -Negative $14.45M if cut
  • 2023: -$21.4M cap hit -$14.7M dead money -$6.7M in savings
Best solution would be a trade but good luck finding a partner.

Jonnu Smith never had 450 receiving yards in a season and signed a $50M deal with NE with $31M guaranteed. He didn’t even get 300 receiving yards last year . . . and the Pats just guaranteed $8 million of the remaining salary. Money for nothing and your chicks for free.

Will he ever show up and provide value for his $$? Odds, Opinions and projections are against him. I am buying he offers WR3 value this year.
Something along the lines of 70-75 rec 850-900 yards 4-5 TDs
If Saq is healthy, that will make the DEF load the box giving somebody in the field space. Robinson is shifty but small. Shepard is still recovering (Achilles) & Toney is a talented physical athlete, but has serious immaturity and growing to do to be of value (IMO).
With the soft NYG Def, Garbage time to the 6'4" WR Golladay.

Kenny Golladay caught 2-of-2 passes for 22 yards in the Giants' Week 1 win over the Titans.

The uninspiring reports that followed Golladay all offseason followed him to Tennessee, as the Giants' big free agent signing from last offseason was a forgotten man in this one. In a game that featured just 21 pass attempts by the Giants, Golladay's two targets ranked fourth on the team ahead of Wan'Dale Robinson and Chris Myarick. You could start Golladay next week against the Panthers, but you probably have better options at your disposal.

- NBCSportsEDGE

For those who still roster Kenny G, feel free to start him with confidence this week. I finally dropped him in my dynasty league, so he will inevitably go for 11 rec, 154 yds and 2 TDs this week after 2+ seasons of ineptitude.

You're all welcome.
I’m gonna pick him up for a buck tonight. I remember wanting to pick up Penny last year and everybody laughed. You never know.

Kenny Golladay played just two snaps in the Giants' Week 2 win over the Panthers.​

Golladay reportedly cleaned out his locker and was gone before reporters entered the locker room after the game. “It’s a continual competition at receiver,” coach Brian Daboll said. “We are just going to keep rolling guys and play the guys we think are going to give us the best chance — and the other guys have to be ready to go as backups.” Golladay appears to be losing that competition to the likes of David Sills and Richie James. A separation might be the best course of action for both parties, but it will be tough to find any takers on Golladay's contract, and releasing him would cost $31 million in dead cap over the next two seasons. Either way, Golladay is not worth rostering in redraft leagues.
SOURCE: New York Post
Sep 19, 2022, 12:24 AM ET

I'm trying to think of any team that make sense to trade for him. Obviously, he'd require a massive pay cut, but I'm still struggling. I keep coming back to the Rams, as he's at least been good to very good with Stafford, but (frankly much like Allen Robinson in 2021) is it that Golladay has declined or is it an effort issue, or both?

The Giants seem like they'd be their best with the all slots WR look when healthy, of Robinson, Shepard, and Toney anyway.

I'm trying to think of any team that make sense to trade for him. Obviously, he'd require a massive pay cut, but I'm still struggling. I keep coming back to the Rams, as he's at least been good to very good with Stafford, but (frankly much like Allen Robinson in 2021) is it that Golladay has declined or is it an effort issue, or both?

The Giants seem like they'd be their best with the all slots WR look when healthy, of Robinson, Shepard, and Toney anyway.
Why not Green Bay or New England?
Rodgers wants "experience" and Golladay needs to accept a serious reduction in $$ to make a move happen... regardless if/where he ends up.
BB likes his "projects"...

Why not Green Bay or New England?
Rodgers wants "experience" and Golladay needs to accept a serious reduction in $$ to make a move happen... regardless if/where he ends up.
BB likes his "projects"...
Too similar to Parker in NE, and probably not a culture fit in GB.

Maybe Indy?

Pro Football Network's Aaron Wilson reports Giants head coach Brian Daboll and general manager Joe Schoen are playing "their guys" this season.​

The new Giants brass, intent on installing a meritocracy, has made Kadarius Toney a fantasy-irrelevant rotational player and in Week 2 benched Kenny Golladay for preseason superstar David Sills. The team is apparently committed to playing the best players no matter their contract or draft capital. “It’s a bad contract, and they inherited Kenny,” a league source told Wilson. “Brian and Joe aren’t going to just play a guy because he makes a lot of money. He’s not their guy. They’re playing their guys. It is what it is.” Golladay's massive contract will make him nearly impossible to trade unless the Giants eat a big part of his deal. Wilson suggested Golladay could be a healthy scratch in the coming weeks. We could soon see more additions to the team's receiver room, as Daboll has reportedly been in talks with free agent wideouts. For now, Sterling Shepard is the only fantasy-viable Giants receiver, and only in PPR formats.
RELATED:
SOURCE: ProFootballNetwork.com
Sep 20, 2022, 10:36 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread