What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Elijah Mitchell, SF (1 Viewer)

I think this is the point where someone on this forum is legally required to respond to both our posts with this:

:ptts:
Oh, I know Im not the only one.  Thankfully the whole league is pretty mediocre.  If I can get through a couple weeks and get into the playoffs...who knows.  Started the year hot ....just need to get through byes and the injuries (and no more zeroes from Gesicki).

Oh, I know Im not the only one.  Thankfully the whole league is pretty mediocre.  If I can get through a couple weeks and get into the playoffs...who knows.  Started the year hot ....just need to get through byes and the injuries (and no more zeroes from Gesicki).
A few weeks ago we were all sure that Derrick Henry would lead a bunch of teams to championships. Now it looks like it will be Taylor. I suspect he'll get injured or cool down and this ends up being one of those years where the teams that win will be the ones who find a hot waiver wire add a week or two before the playoffs, a la the famous Billy Volek or Tim Hightower years.

Most likely going to have to start Jeff Wilson & Eno Benjamin

If you have both Mitchell and Wilson, you should hope that the former doesn't play. Wilson has preformed really well in the past when given the bell cow roll.

If Mitchell plays with the broken finger, then it will likely be a pretty even timeshare between the two.

Ministry of Pain said:
OK, the sky IS falling now

I noticed him kinda favoring one hand after his 15 yard run down the right sideline. He then sat the next 2 series and then came back in for another 10 carries or so, including the final possession up 3 TDs.

At worst, he misses this week. At best, Mitchell practices today like Shanahan said he hoped he would.

Are we really buying the Shanahanigans that he’s likely to play Sunday?

He had a surgical procedure to put a damn pin in his finger!

What do I know, I’m not a doctor.

Play or not, Wilson makes for a sneaky play this week.  I can see a blowout and garbage time stats in the works.

Play or not, Wilson makes for a sneaky play this week.  I can see a blowout and garbage time stats in the works.

The 49ers aren't blowing anyone out.  i suspect this game will be pretty close all in all.  If Mitchell is out Wilson is an alright play but if Mitchell plays, which they are still saying will happen, Wilson isn't worth the horse he rode in on.

I’m calling BS that plays also. Wouldn’t think you can play with a pin in your finger and wouldn’t think a pin would come out after a few days. But I’m also not a doctor!

The 49ers aren't blowing anyone out.  i suspect this game will be pretty close all in all.  If Mitchell is out Wilson is an alright play but if Mitchell plays, which they are still saying will happen, Wilson isn't worth the horse he rode in on.
You are underestimating Mitchell's injury.  If they don't need him to play Wilson will get plenty of work.

You are underestimating Mitchell's injury.  If they don't need him to play Wilson will get plenty of work.

I'm not underestimating anything.  I'm just reading online and from the coach to most articles  I have read there is a good chance he can go.  He played with it for a full quarter last week without the pin and protection and had no issues carrying or holding onto the ball.  

I'm not underestimating anything.  I'm just reading online and from the coach to most articles  I have read there is a good chance he can go.  He played with it for a full quarter last week without the pin and protection and had no issues carrying or holding onto the ball.  
Could be. I'm wary. Playing uncasted with an unknown severity injury is different than playing casted with a pin surgically placed. Sort of apples/oranges without knowing how a cast impacts ball security/protects recovery.

If he played with it during the last game, I don't find it crazy that he could go.  

Matter of pain tolerance, how well he's able to protect the finger and the ball.  He may not play.  But I don't think they're blowing smoke up our butts.

Wouldn't it also matter if it was his dominate hand or off hand. I know he has to use both but if it is the main hand I would think the likelyhood of playing is lower than being his off hand. I am sure they are not givi g out that information

If he played with it during the last game, I don't find it crazy that he could go.  

Matter of pain tolerance, how well he's able to protect the finger and the ball.  He may not play.  But I don't think they're blowing smoke up our butts.
I'm not doubting whether he plays, but how much?  I can easily see Wilson getting a lot of work in this game, which I feel will be easily won by SF.

There haven't been any Shanahanigans all year, just Shanahan telling the truth.  Take what he says at face value.  

I agree with this.  He has been pretty straight foreward.  People just don't want to believe what he is saying.  

Elijah Mitchell (finger) practiced on a side field in a non-contact jersey on Thursday.

It remains to be seen what the official designation will be, but that certainly sounds like "limited." 49ers staff have talked up Mitchell's toughness and things seem to be trending towards him being active on Sunday against the Jaguars. Jeff Wilson will likely grab a bigger timeshare of the role than he did last week if the game becomes non-competitive. 

SOURCE: Matt Barrows on Twitter

Nov 18, 2021, 4:02 PM ET

Elijah Mitchell (finger, ribs) remained sidelined on Thursday. 

"We'll see if (coach Kyle Shanahan) is still optimistic tomorrow about Mitchell playing Sunday," was the quip of Niners beat writer Matt Barrows. Shanahan has been projecting positivity about Mitchell's Week 11 status but has never come out and guaranteed he will suit up vs. Jacksonville. Until we see Mitchell get some kind of practice reps or coach assurances, he should be considered truly questionable. With JaMycal Hasty not practicing and Trey Sermon in the deepest recesses of Shanny's doghouse, Jeff Wilson is the next man up if Mitchell can't go. 

SOURCE: Matt Barrows on Twitter

Nov 18, 2021, 6:41 PM ET

Hoping its announced early enough.  Not that it matters this week with byes, injuries, and starting in the hole with my opponent having had NE's defense.

NBC Sports Edge:

Elijah Mitchell (finger) is doubtful for Week 11 against the Jaguars.

Coach Kyle Shanahan said Mitchell jammed his finger in the second quarter against Los Angeles and "didn’t say anything to anyone at all." Jeff Wilson will step in as an early-down RB2 workhorse on Sunday, ceding all third-down and receiving reps to FB Kyle Juszczyk. Trey Sermon will continue to watch both play football from the bench.

RELATED: 

Jeff Wilson

SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter

Nov 19, 2021, 3:32 PM ET

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan called Elijah Mitchell day to day with a finger injury.

Shanahan said he wasn't able to comment on his status for Sunday yet but did not that Mitchell didn't practice on Monday. Jeff Wilson drew the start with Mitchell and JaMycal Hasty sidelined last week. He saw 19 carries and a pair of targets, one of which could have resulted in a touchdown but Jimmy Garoppolo missed the mark on that throw. Trey Sermon surprisingly earned 10 carries but Wilson is the only reliable fantasy option from this backfield if Mitchell remains sidelined. 

SOURCE: Keiana Martin on Twitter

Nov 22, 2021, 6:50 PM ET

Just looking at the box scores. Wilson Jr and Sermon looked barely servicable.  The 49er backfield situation can break in several ways over the next few weeks, but I think we'll be calling Elijah Mitchell a bellcow, soon.  Not a 90-10 cowbell, but a 70-30.

Just looking at the box scores. Wilson Jr and Sermon looked barely servicable.  The 49er backfield situation can break in several ways over the next few weeks, but I think we'll be calling Elijah Mitchell a bellcow, soon.  Not a 90-10 cowbell, but a 70-30.
Hasn’t he been the bell cow?

The Athletic's Matt Barrows reports Elijah Mitchell (finger) took pitches and handoffs during Wednesday's practice but did not catch passes and only handled the ball with his healthy left hand. 

Mitchell, after missing last week's game against the Jaguars, was listed as limited in Wednesday's session. Barrows said Mitchell -- who last week had surgery on a broken finger on his right hand -- "seemed to hold the ball exclusively in his left hand" during the practice. Mitchell's Week 12 availability against Minnesota is "up in the air," according to Barrows. The 49ers hyper-conservative offense is primed for another run-heavy game against a Vikings defense missing DT Dalvin Tomlinson (COVID-19), DT Danielle Hunter (torn pec, IR), and possibly Everson Griffin. The last time the Niners played the Vikings was in January 2020, when San Francisco rushed 47 times for 186 yards and two touchdowns. Look for Deebo Samuel to continue seeing at least a handful of rushing attempts behind Jeff Wilson if Mitchell is sidelined against the run-funnel Vikings. 

RELATED: 

Jeff Wilson

, Deebo Samuel

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Nov 25, 2021, 10:31 AM ET

Elijah Mitchell (rib, finger) is questionable for Week 12 against the Vikings.

Coach Kyle Shanahan said the team "will be able to protect Mitchell's broken finger" thus he'll be on the field if he's "comfortable playing." It sounds like Mitchell is a true game-time call, being replaced by Jeff Wilson for the second consecutive game if the former can't go. Wilson would rank as a touch-based RB2 if gifted another start.

SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter

Nov 26, 2021, 4:32 PM ET

Do we think Mitchell will suit up?? I know it comes down to how comfortable he’ll be holding onto the ball. 

‘fun’ week for my team:

Kareem Hunt, Aaron Jones & Mitchell all could play. 

Do we think Mitchell will suit up?? I know it comes down to how comfortable he’ll be holding onto the ball. 

‘fun’ week for my team:

Kareem Hunt, Aaron Jones & Mitchell all could play. 
I’m firmly in the no camp.  He was down graded from questionable to doubtful and see Faust update that he is only carrying and catching ball with his good hand as of Wednesday.. 

I’m firmly in the no camp.  He was down graded from questionable to doubtful and see Faust update that he is only carrying and catching ball with his good hand as of Wednesday.. 
They also said he was getting pitches. Can't really do that with one hand. I mean ok yeah you can but you wouldn't. Even if I'm right I don't know what that means though. I want him to play I need him to play. If there is an actual Doubtful tag out there (I haven't looked yet) then I am 100% assuming he is out. I can't even remember the last time a D turned into a guy playing.

They also said he was getting pitches. Can't really do that with one hand. I mean ok yeah you can but you wouldn't. Even if I'm right I don't know what that means though. I want him to play I need him to play. If there is an actual Doubtful tag out there (I haven't looked yet) then I am 100% assuming he is out. I can't even remember the last time a D turned into a guy playing.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-12-final-injury-reports-cordarrelle-patterson-joe-haden-among-questionable-players/

Mitchell listed as DOUBTFUL

Elijah Mitchell expected to play in Week 12

Sun, Nov 28th 5:54am EST
By Anthony Cervino

ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting 49ers RB Elijah Mitchell (finger, ribs) is expected to play in Week 12. (Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter)

I think I will roll with Mitchell over Javonte Williams if he plays.

Users who are viewing this thread