What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Elijah Mitchell, SF (2 Viewers)

Elijah Mitchell rushed 18 times for 89 yards in the 49ers' Week 10 win over the Chargers, losing one yard on his only reception.​

In a somewhat shocking turn of events, Mitchell returned from the injured reserve to lead a backfield that now includes Christian McCaffrey. To be fair, Mitchell looked like he deserved the touches on this evening, churning out continuous chunk yardage against the banged-up Los Angeles defensive front. His one-cut running style made the perfect fit for the gaping holes generated by George Kittle and Trent Williams along the left side of the formation. Mitchell and the explosive 49ers rushing attack set their sights on the Cardinals in Week 11, a game to be played in Mexico City. Consider Mitchell an efficiency-dependent RB3 with upside in a more difficult matchup.
Nov 14, 2022, 12:11 AM ET

When Mitchell returns, he will be the No 2 RB for San Fran. He's got lots of experience now for them and he is on a 6th rd rookie deal thru 2024, he's not going anywhere.

When Mitchell returns, he will be the No 2 RB for San Fran. He's got lots of experience now for them and he is on a 6th rd rookie deal thru 2024, he's not going anywhere.
I don't know man. Im wondering if SF made the trade because mitchel isnt progressing in the right direction on IR.

Mitchel was due back in a few weeks anyways.
This. I viewed the McCaffrey trade as a big vote of no-confidence for Mitchell by Shanahan. Mitchell was a stud last season when healthy but staying healthy was a problem. He missed a combined 6 games from three separate injuries in 2021, missed the 2022 preseason due to a hamstring injury, and then went down Week 1 with the MCL injury to miss the first half of this season.

Shanahan has also shown he doesn’t know what the hell he’s doing with his RB corps so he’s thrown significant capital at the problem. McCaffrey (provided he himself can overcome his durability issues) gives stability at the position Shanahan has never had before in San Francisco. Also keeps him away from the Rams, who desperately needed RB help themselves. But in doing so has effectively shut Mitchell’s path to being a full-time starting RB. It’s McCaffrey’s gig for the forseeable future. There would need to be a change of scenery for either McCaffrey or Mitchell in order for Mitchell to possibly get back full-time starter status in the NFL, and I wouldn’t bet on it happening.

I don’t think it’s a slam dunk that he’s McCaffrey’s direct backup either. Wilson is still around and healthy and effective, and for all we know Shanahan may bring back Wilson next year or another body to compete with Mitchell (who to this point has already missed 12 games and counting). I still think he’s a high upside talent, but his standalone value is gone and his immediate future looks murky. The team only invested a 6th round pick on him, so there’s no incentive to keep giving him chances as a starter. They’ll be just as happy to have a quality backup on a cheap rookie contract. Yet another cautionary tale concerning RB’s and draft capital.

Running back Elijah Mitchell (knee) was one of four players who saw their practice windows opened this week. Head coach Kyle Shanahan said that Mitchell was full-go in practice this week, and it sounds like he won't be limited in this weekend's game.

"He's full-go if he gets through this practice (on Friday) cleared," Lynch said on the Murph & Mac show. "I don't think there will be any restrictions on him. It will probably just be a conscious deal—let's not give him too much on his first game back."
Let's discuss WIng
-How many touches is Mitchell going to take from CMC? I'm not being funny, there's no way they are going to run CMC into the ground, it might bother some folks when they see something like this in the box score CMC-15 touches, 100 yds, TD, 3-4 catches, and Mitchell has another 50-60 yds and a TD.
-Niners are not going to want Jimmy G going over 25-30 passes a game if they can avoid it, Shanny is going to have 2 RB1s at his disposal, granted CMC much better but Mitchell is no slouch. And fresh legs in the 2nd and 4thQ of football games, this should be huge for the Niners who can just bludgeoned teams until they put 7-8 in the box and then it's play action to one of their talented WRs.

I've never stopped believing in Elijah Mitchell
Half my team now is SF RBs or guys that wore a SF uniform this year
CMC-Wilson-Mitchell

Mitchell was my Sleeper RB or guy that you should try and get over the summer. Injuries derailed a lot of that, doubt we would see CMC there is Mitchell had stayed healthy. Just my opinion.

I don't know man. Im wondering if SF made the trade because mitchel isnt progressing in the right direction on IR.

Mitchel was due back in a few weeks anyways.
This. I viewed the McCaffrey trade as a big vote of no-confidence for Mitchell by Shanahan. Mitchell was a stud last season when healthy but staying healthy was a problem. He missed a combined 6 games from three separate injuries in 2021, missed the 2022 preseason due to a hamstring injury, and then went down Week 1 with the MCL injury to miss the first half of this season.

Shanahan has also shown he doesn’t know what the hell he’s doing with his RB corps so he’s thrown significant capital at the problem. McCaffrey (provided he himself can overcome his durability issues) gives stability at the position Shanahan has never had before in San Francisco. Also keeps him away from the Rams, who desperately needed RB help themselves. But in doing so has effectively shut Mitchell’s path to being a full-time starting RB. It’s McCaffrey’s gig for the forseeable future. There would need to be a change of scenery for either McCaffrey or Mitchell in order for Mitchell to possibly get back full-time starter status in the NFL, and I wouldn’t bet on it happening.

I don’t think it’s a slam dunk that he’s McCaffrey’s direct backup either. Wilson is still around and healthy and effective, and for all we know Shanahan may bring back Wilson next year or another body to compete with Mitchell (who to this point has already missed 12 games and counting). I still think he’s a high upside talent, but his standalone value is gone and his immediate future looks murky. The team only invested a 6th round pick on him, so there’s no incentive to keep giving him chances as a starter. They’ll be just as happy to have a quality backup on a cheap rookie contract. Yet another cautionary tale concerning RB’s and draft capital.

Running back Elijah Mitchell (knee) was one of four players who saw their practice windows opened this week. Head coach Kyle Shanahan said that Mitchell was full-go in practice this week, and it sounds like he won't be limited in this weekend's game.

"He's full-go if he gets through this practice (on Friday) cleared," Lynch said on the Murph & Mac show. "I don't think there will be any restrictions on him. It will probably just be a conscious deal—let's not give him too much on his first game back."
Let's discuss WIng
-How many touches is Mitchell going to take from CMC? I'm not being funny, there's no way they are going to run CMC into the ground, it might bother some folks when they see something like this in the box score CMC-15 touches, 100 yds, TD, 3-4 catches, and Mitchell has another 50-60 yds and a TD.
-Niners are not going to want Jimmy G going over 25-30 passes a game if they can avoid it, Shanny is going to have 2 RB1s at his disposal, granted CMC much better but Mitchell is no slouch. And fresh legs in the 2nd and 4thQ of football games, this should be huge for the Niners who can just bludgeoned teams until they put 7-8 in the box and then it's play action to one of their talented WRs.

I've never stopped believing in Elijah Mitchell
Half my team now is SF RBs or guys that wore a SF uniform this year
CMC-Wilson-Mitchell

Mitchell was my Sleeper RB or guy that you should try and get over the summer. Injuries derailed a lot of that, doubt we would see CMC there is Mitchell had stayed healthy. Just my opinion.
Agreed. I have him on both dynasty teams, 1 teamed up with CMac so I'll stay put there but I wonder what he's worth as a handcuff to the Cmac owner in the other league. Is a 2nd rounder about right at this point?

I was big on Mitchell prior to the CMC trade. Still like the player, just not as keen on the situation. He’s very efficient as a runner. And it looks like I was wrong about him losing standalone value if he’s splitting evenly with CMC. Still needs either him or CMC to be off the team for him to see locked-in RB1 status but he’s a high value handcuff in the meantime.

Were my eyes deceiving me tonight, or did Mitchell look like the better back?
Fresh legs.
Yeah, possibly. It’s also possible that defenses key on CMC a ton when he’s in the game, less on Mitchell. Not really possible to do a scientific study…..
I'd go the other way on that topic.

Mitchell ran the ball on 68% of his snaps and ran or was targeted 76% of his snaps.

CMC came in at 30.4% of his snaps where he got carries and 43.5% of his snaps he got carries or targets.

Which to me just implies when Mitchell is in the game the odds of him getting the ball are so much higher, and almost all on carries, and thus he's keyed on more because the offense is more predictable when he's in the game.

At this point in their careers Mitchell is probably a good deal faster, has fresher legs and is more familar with the system and blocking schemes then CMC so he can play faster as he knows what he is doing. Obviously does not mean he's better then CMC and the gap between them as all around players is significant IMO, just maybe not as pure runners. Which is why this looks like a RBBC as much as I hate to see it for my CMC teams.

I don't own Mitchell in dynasty, a few redrafts, but IMO he's a high end handcuff with weekly flex appeal.

Seems to me that they used Mitchell more when they wanted to run hard between the tackles, and Cmac when they wanted to go RPO or run more outside.

I'm fine with them not overusing Cmac, epecially when Mitchell looked so good.

I don't play fantasy, so I really couldn't care less about his FF points, I just want the 49ers to stack wins.

Seems to me that they used Mitchell more when they wanted to run hard between the tackles, and Cmac when they wanted to go RPO or run more outside.

I'm fine with them not overusing Cmac, epecially when Mitchell looked so good.

I don't play fantasy, so I really couldn't care less about his FF points, I just want the 49ers to stack wins.
Feel the same about Mostert and Wilson

Actually trying to get whatever I can that’s within reason for cmc, he’s off my squad.
Currently working on the AJ Brown owner

Elijah Mitchell rushed nine times for 59 yards in the 49ers' Week 11 win over the Cardinals.​

Mitchell gave way to Christian McCaffrey for the majority of the first half before seeing his first touch on the final possession of the second quarter and playing most of the second half snaps. The early-game division of playing time was a far cry from what head coach Kyle Shanahan hinted at earlier in the week when he said both backs would see similar usage. Consider Mitchell a middling RB3 with upside for the remainder of the season.
Nov 21, 2022, 11:29 PM ET

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said Elijah Mitchell (knee) is expected to miss 6-8 weeks.​

The injury was initially believed to be minor, but further testing clearly revealed a more significant issue. Christian McCaffrey is also dealing with knee irritation, but his status appears to be day-to-day. Mitchell will miss the remainder of the season and could be sidelined early in the playoffs, assuming San Francisco makes the postseason. Jordan Mason is the next man up in San Francisco. Mason, a UDFA rookie from Georgia Tech, earned five carries for 25 yards last week.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Matt Barrows on Twitter
Nov 28, 2022, 6:28 PM ET

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said Elijah Mitchell (knee) is expected to miss 6-8 weeks.​

The injury was initially believed to be minor, but further testing clearly revealed a more significant issue. Christian McCaffrey is also dealing with knee irritation, but his status appears to be day-to-day. Mitchell will miss the remainder of the season and could be sidelined early in the playoffs, assuming San Francisco makes the postseason. Jordan Mason is the next man up in San Francisco. Mason, a UDFA rookie from Georgia Tech, earned five carries for 25 yards last week.
RELATED:
“They called me………..Mr. Glass”

Am I wrong in thinking he's out for the year if they put him on IR? I was under the impression a player can't go on IR twice in 1 season.

Am I wrong in thinking he's out for the year if they put him on IR? I was under the impression a player can't go on IR twice in 1 season.

Players designated for return from the reserve/injured or reserve/non-football injury/illness list are eligible to come back after "four games have elapsed since the date he was placed on the applicable reserve list,"

Teams have eight players permitted to return from IR and/or the reserve/non-football injury/illness list to the 53-man active roster or the practice squad, per season. An individual player can return from IR a maximum of twice per season, but each time counts against the team's allotted eight designations.

www.nfl.com/news/players-now-eligible-to-return-from-injured-reserve-after-four-games

Lombardi:

The 49ers only have 2 return-from-IR designations left (8 max are allowed this season). If one is to be used for Javon Kinlaw, only one left would be available for Elijah Mitchell — assuming he's placed on IR.

RELATED:
“They called me………..Mr. Glass”

He injured BOTH knees this year? 6-8 week injuries to either- Jesus. What is the point of bringing him back this season? He isn't adding a ton that their depth can't do.

WTF does this team do to RB's? They all fall apart. Something has to give- conditioning or coaching drills or something?

49ers placed RB Elijah Mitchell (knee) on injured reserve.​

The move was expected after it was revealed that Mitchell would miss six to eight weeks with an MCL injury. Mitchell will be out a minimum of four weeks, an absence that could extend into the first couple rounds of the playoffs depending on how the knee reacts to rehab efforts. Christian McCaffrey saw an elevated 81% snap rate in the one contest with the team in which Mitchell was absent, which should be expected moving forward.
Dec 3, 2022, 4:48 PM ET

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan told reporters that Elijah Mitchell (IR/knee) would be activated for Week 18's game against the Cardinals.​

Mitchell could immediately be thrust into a major workload Sunday if the 49ers trounce the reeling Cardinals as expected. He has not played since spraining his MCL for the second time this season in Week 12. If game script goes his way, Mitchell could easily finish as an RB2 -- or higher -- in Week 18.
SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter
Jan 6, 2023, 5:08 PM ET

Elijah Mitchell had 14 carries for 51 yards in San Francisco's Divisional Round victory over the Cowboys.​

11 of Mitchell's touches came with the 49ers up seven in their final two drives as they opted to use him to salt away the clock against Dallas. It almost backfired as Mitchell confoundingly stepped out of bounds on a 13-yard run, giving Dallas a chance to possess the ball again. Thankfully for Mitchell, Mike McCarthy playoff football intervened. Mitchell wound up leading the team in rushing and will be on the DFS radar against the Eagles in the NFC Championship game.
Jan 22, 2023, 10:03 PM ET

Elijah Mitchell (groin) is inactive for the team's NFC Championship Game against the Eagles.​

Mitchell was held out of practice for the majority of the week but supposedly logged a limited session on Friday per head coach Kyle Shanahan. Despite his best efforts to suit up against the Eagles, the 49ers have ruled out the second-year back for Sunday's championship game. Christian McCaffrey should be in line for a heavy workload, with rookie Jordan Mason likely to serve as his backup. The 49ers also declared QB Jimmy Garoppolo, RB Tyrion Davis-Price, OL Nick Zakelj, DE Drake Jackson, CB Ambry Thomas, and TE Ross Dwelley inactive.
Jan 29, 2023, 1:36 PM ET

49ers HC Kyle Shanahan said Elijah Mitchell is expected to miss a few days with an adductor strain.
The timeline for Mitchell, per Shanahan, is 7-10 days. The third-year running back dealt with groin and MCL injuries last season and appeared in just five regular-season games. Mitchell has been an explosive runner with the ball in his hands. In 16 career games, he’s rushed 252 times for 1,242 yards and seven touchdowns and is averaging 4.9 yards per carry for his career. Second-year running backs Tyrion Davis-Price, and Jordan Mason should see additional work in camp while Mitchell recovers from his injury.

32BeatWriters
“[Elijah] Mitchell returned to practice after an extended absence due to injury and looked explosive. The back was quick in and out of his cuts and split the defense for a big gain as a receiver. His reception down the middle of the field was reminiscent of a play made by Christian McCaffrey earlier in camp.”
He will look explosive — until he inevitably gets hurt again

49ers RB Elijah Mitchell (adductor) returned to practice.

Mitchell had been sidelined for the last several weeks with an adductor strain but returned to practice earlier this week. While we don’t yet know his Week 1 status, the 49ers’ presumed RB2 has a little over a week to get ready in time for the season opener against the Steelers. If he’s able to go, Mitchell would have some low-end RB3 appeal in deeper leagues.

Elijah Mitchell rushed five times for 10 yards in the 49ers’ Week 1 win over the Steelers.

Mitchell was held without a catch on one target. It was a disappointing statline considering the 49ers spent over 50 minutes of game time playing with a two-score lead. Christian McCaffrey out-touched Mitchell 25-5. The disparity won’t always be quite that pronounced, but Mitchell is currently lacking standalone fantasy value. At least he’s currently healthy.

- Rotoworld

Jeezum Crow.

Really slumming it in a deep league w Aaron Jones trending towards OUT.

Is there any reason to believe the 9ers would like to get him more involved?

Jeezum Crow.

there have to be better options
Dotson, Taylor, Tucker, Dowdle are on the wire. 1ppr
If that’s Jonathan Taylor, absolutely grab and stash him on IR. If it’s Patrick Taylor, pass. Might have to hold your nose and stick with Mitchell in hopes of a garbage time score.

Edit - I like Tucker as a bench stash

Last edited:
Jeezum Crow.

Dotson, Taylor, Tucker, Dowdle are on the wire. 1pp

I’d think picking up Tucker and maybe also Dowdle for “Lottery ticket” depth.
Jeezum Crow.

Tucker could be a lottery ticket depth piece, Dowdle too maybe. What they said about Dotson and Taylor. I’m terrible at quoting with this software. Sorry

Jeezum Crow.

If that’s Jonathan Taylor, absolutely grab and stash him on IR. If it’s Patrick Taylor, pass. Might have to hold your nose and stick with Mitchell in hopes of a garbage time score.

Edit - I like Tucker as a bench stash
Yeah sorry it’s Elijah Dotson and Patrick Taylor. I’m telling you the cupboard is bare.

Users who are viewing this thread