What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mt Rushmore of 2010s movies (2 Viewers)

Can someone explain to me the fascination with Fury Road?  There must be some 4D chess that's above my head because it just seemed like a 2 hour car chase to me and the wife.  
I've addressed this before - not over your head...........under. I hate most action/hero/boom-boom movies (Bourne series excepted) because i am too logical to be patient with most of the formulas (good guys having so much better aim than bad guys, the timing/talents involved in most events being beyond humanoid capacity, the star-ladder of survival, etc), but Fury Road just said "screw it. Here's a heavy metal video of everything that could happen as heros & hot chicks go from here to there". OK, says i - g'ahead. And i rooted for the coolest possible things to happen and they did. For two hours, it became intellectually acceptable to say 'HAL YAAS' and Fury Road became the action-movie equivalent of the hip-hop track that old white people like. Fury, dood.

I've addressed this before - not over your head...........under. I hate most action/hero/boom-boom movies (Bourne series excepted) because i am too logical to be patient with most of the formulas (good guys having so much better aim than bad guys, the timing/talents involved in most events being beyond humanoid capacity, the star-ladder of survival, etc), but Fury Road just said "screw it. Here's a heavy metal video of everything that could happen as heros & hot chicks go from here to there". OK, says i - g'ahead. And i rooted for the coolest possible things to happen and they did. For two hours, it became intellectually acceptable to say 'HAL YAAS' and Fury Road became the action-movie equivalent of the hip-hop track that old white people like. Fury, dood.
Thanks.  I easily bore with action movies and this did nothing to impress.  It didn't help that I went in with high expectations, something that makes or breaks a movie for many, imo.  

Thanks.  I easily bore with action movies and this did nothing to impress.  It didn't help that I went in with high expectations, something that makes or breaks a movie for many, imo.  
Yeah, that's a double-bind. The movie snobs who enjoyed it did so because they went along with the plotless brainlessness and had a good time, so ended up raving & re-raising expectations. I have a fondness for it now and switch over to it (cuz it's always on cable now) like i used to switch over to MTV to watch a vid instead of an ad.

ETA: i also think that so many of the principals seeking pain/death because their sparse-earth mythology makes the "he blowed up real good" aspect go down better, kinda like being in The Crusades.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are my hero.  So many times I'll think of a random movie or show, then go search Netflix/Prime/Hulu/etc one by one to see if it's available somewhere.  

I've spent the last 3 years basically binging tv shows, I have probably only watched one movie a year but I'm about to finish off Oz and will try and tackle some of these movies next.  
Thanks again sir!
Another good site...

http://www.netflix.com/browse/genre/INSERTNUMBER (code)

Above explained:

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/the-netflix-id-bible-every-category-on-netflix/

200+ codes but these are the main ones:

Action & Adventure (1365)

Anime (7424)

Children & Family (783)

Classic (31574)

Comedies (6548)

Documentaries (6839)

Dramas (5763)

Horror (8711)

Music (1701)

Romantic (8883)

Sci-fi & Fantasy (1492)

Sports (4370)

Thrillers (8933)

TV Shows (83)

Nice lists all around. I'm not sure I can really do the decade justice, as movies were my mid-to-late twenties to thirties things.

Ones that pop to mind off of the lists that I've seen and loved and are truly popular movies rather than haute or art cinema. I've looked at a few lists to crib and I really enjoyed:

Zero Dark Thiry

"What have you done here the past five years besides work on Bin Laden?"

"Nothing. I have done nothing else."

I'm not sure even the most overwhelmingly conservative or feminist movie could quite convey the bureaucratic desperation in the protagonist and deliver exactly how much of that she must have been feeling. Kathryn Bigelow is a modern master of character.  

Birdman

You ####ers, I know he ####### slays the production and he lives.

Lego Movie

Everything is awesome. Everything is awesome when you're part of a team. Tegan and Sara just stole an otherwise deep, deep movie done by Clone High stalwarts and Jump Street guys. It could have gotten swallowed in deepness, but didn't. Bless them.

Everything in its right place

Guardians Of The Galaxy

I know everybody has a relationship with their mother, and that each is different, but I have a hard time thinking of life without her. What a guaranteed successful soundtrack/mix in every way, what guaranteed commercial tie-ins, what a wonderfully done movie, all against the backdrop of simple loss too soon. 

One more, facing inward in the sculpted rock. 

The Spectacular Now

It reminds me of me and my friendships in my mid twenties. They love you, but you don't know the dread you cause when you show up. That's hopefully over. What will my forties bring?

Captain Cranks said:
Can someone explain to me the fascination with Fury Road?  There must be some 4D chess that's above my head because it just seemed like a 2 hour car chase to me and the wife.  
From my perspective as someone who doesn't love that many action movies / tends to get bored, Fury Road was just great to watch. I was completely engaged for 2 hours.

Amazing production quality, stylish, created an absurd but very detailed world. Had a perfect ending. 

Was the best movie experience of that year by far. Well deserving of all the praise and awards IMO. 

The two greatest action movies ever made are Die Hard and Fury Road. Both expanded what the genre could do and reminded everyone of what can be done with in camera effects. 

Captain Cranks said:
That's the fascination

culdeus said:
This comes up every now and then.  Like you I don't get it.  It probably appeals to the Gen X crowd that misses non CGI type action movies.  

wikkidpissah said:
 The bolded is why I keep trying to with this movie - those 2 descriptions are right in my wheelhouse.  

I think my next go-around I am going to watch some bonus features first.  

The bolded is why I keep trying to with this movie - those 2 descriptions are right in my wheelhouse.  

I think my next go-around I am going to watch some bonus features first.  
well, see, you might be suffering from the opposites here.

i'm pretty well-known for raggin' on QT so, when Kill Bill 2 came out and was a chockful but linear screed of martial arts/swordness, i was excited to be able to just go with it, propelled by knowing the rhythms of the filmmaker and sitting back & enjoying what he had copped from all those pictures i wouldnt watch on a bet, knowing i would also get the Fanballers who called me a hater off my back (i believe i chose it as my best picture of '04) as a bonus. but someone who watched those kind of movies all the time might think the opposite, that it was no more than a mashup of stuff better-done elsewhere. maybe Fury Road is the action movie for those who dont watch a lot of action movies

well, see, you might be suffering from the opposites here.

i'm pretty well-known for raggin' on QT so, when Kill Bill 2 came out and was a chockful but linear screed of martial arts/swordness, i was excited to be able to just go with it, propelled by knowing the rhythms of the filmmaker and sitting back & enjoying what he had copped from all those pictures i wouldnt watch on a bet. but someone who watched those kind of movies all the time might think the opposite, that it was no more than a mashup of stuff better-done elsewhere. maybe Fury Road is the action movie for those who dont watch a lot of action movies
I dont watch a lot of action movies, mostly because I dont enjoy watching a ton of cgi.  Never seen a Mad Max movie before Fury Road either.  My first reaction was that it was dumb as hell, then I saw it on basically every best of the year list, and now on tons of best of decade list and my "what am I missing" obsession started. 

Maybe 3rd or 4th times the charm with this.  Like I posted above, I think it might help watching some bonus features so I see how they constructed the world and movie.  Or maybe it's just not the movie for me.  

I dont watch a lot of action movies, mostly because I dont enjoy watching a ton of cgi.  Never seen a Mad Max movie before Fury Road either.  My first reaction was that it was dumb as hell, then I saw it on basically every best of the year list, and now on tons of best of decade list and my "what am I missing" obsession started. 

Maybe 3rd or 4th times the charm with this.  Like I posted above, I think it might help watching some bonus features so I see how they constructed the world and movie.  Or maybe it's just not the movie for me.  
I recommend the Road Warrior (Mad Max II)

It's an all time favorite, and IMO much better than Fury Road (which I also liked)

i was never more than, "yeah OK, so that's what that is" about any previous Mad Max. maybe i like it because it's about people embracing pain, which mystifies me (ink & piercing & cutting being how so many keep themselves reminded they're alive) IRL.  :shrug:

ETA: but didn't you used to watch a lot of action movies? can't figure out how i thought that otherwise....

ETA: but didn't you used to watch a lot of action movies? can't figure out how i thought that otherwise....
I guess depends on how far back your notebook goes.  Basically all I watched through HS was horror and action movies, then slowly switched.  Besides Marvel and Star Wars fare with the kid, I rarely watch action, a lot to do with the video game look a lot of them have due to too much cgi.  

Users who are viewing this thread