What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mt Rushmore of 2010s movies (1 Viewer)

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

The VVitch

Arrival

Blade Runner 2149
I was looking through movies I’ve seen and I’ve got an addition. 

3 Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri 

I think I’d move it ahead of The Witch, but all 5 movies are great. 

Saw less movies by order of magnitude than preceding two decades, but happy to see Lady Bird cited often here. I think that was the best movie I saw this decade. 

Will round mine:

1. Lady Bird

2. Ex Machina 

3. Black Swan

4. Toy Story 3 (sentimental reasons)
:wub:

Tough for me to separate favorite vs. best, let alone most important, but I think all these are great movies:

Boyhood

Call Me By Your Name

The Descendants

Whiplash

@Ilov80s - (or anybody else who listens to podcasts) not sure if you listen to The Rewatchables, but their latest one is covering Dunkirk and has on Tarantino as a guest (I think he said it was his #2 of the decade?).  I thought it was interesting, a lot because they usually don't have quests like QT on, but there is still a lot of good stuff in there.   After listening to them I was realizing that I still probably didn't understand 100% how the time flowed in the movie and this needs to be watched again soon.  

@Ilov80s - (or anybody else who listens to podcasts) not sure if you listen to The Rewatchables, but their latest one is covering Dunkirk and has on Tarantino as a guest (I think he said it was his #2 of the decade?).  I thought it was interesting, a lot because they usually don't have quests like QT on, but there is still a lot of good stuff in there.   After listening to them I was realizing that I still probably didn't understand 100% how the time flowed in the movie and this needs to be watched again soon.  
I haven’t heard it yet but my friend was just telling me QT will be doing 4 episodes where he picks the movies so I’m very excited for those. I’m in agreement with him that Dunkirk was absolute genius. The use of the 3 different times/pacings and music was so cool. It’s still the most intense edge of the seat movie I’ve seen.

Tough for me to separate favorite vs. best, let alone most important, but I think all these are great movies:

Boyhood

Call Me By Your Name

The Descendants

Whiplash
Was very close to making my top 4, loved it. I really like Merchant Ivory films, especially A Room with a View and this was the closest I’ve seen to recapturing that. 

I’ve got a handful of contenders that I still need to watch, but here’s my take...

Beasts of the Southern Wild

The Artist

Her

Spotlight
Lady Bird is one of those that I had not seen —my wife kept telling me that she wanted to watch it, but would push me off whenever I suggested it. I saw it was on Prime and watched it last night — that was great. I’d move it ahead of Spotlight.

Of course, I told my wife this morning that I watched it after she went to bed at 7:30pm or whatever, and she was upset with me, but worth it.

Lady Bird is one of those that I had not seen —my wife kept telling me that she wanted to watch it, but would push me off whenever I suggested it. I saw it was on Prime and watched it last night — that was great. I’d move it ahead of Spotlight.

Of course, I told my wife this morning that I watched it after she went to bed at 7:30pm or whatever, and she was upset with me, but worth it.
That one just didn't rise above average for me. And I watched it with my wife, sister and daughter and I thought that they would like it more than me, but they didn't either.  :shrug:

I haven’t heard it yet but my friend was just telling me QT will be doing 4 episodes where he picks the movies so I’m very excited for those. I’m in agreement with him that Dunkirk was absolute genius. The use of the 3 different times/pacings and music was so cool. It’s still the most intense edge of the seat movie I’ve seen.
I guess I didn't realize that the 3 stories were also being told in a different time, or his ability to juggle that didn't sink in - ie one was 1 week, 1 one day, etc..?

I am hit or miss on The Rewatchables as a podcast as a whole- they really have good stuff to say, but i tire of their "categories" when they talk about the movies.  I really like the other movie podcast from the Ringer network - The Big Picture.   I think those two do a really good job of mixing it up and bringing up bigger ideas and trends in movies.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Some good ones mentioned.  I will have to look quite a bit more before I can come up with a top 4, but for now I can list one I have seen on here and one I havent.

Ex Machina.

I also have a vote for one I havent seen mentioned yet:  The Cabin in the Woods

Some good ones mentioned.  I will have to look quite a bit more before I can come up with a top 4, but for now I can list one I have seen on here and one I havent.

Ex Machina.

I also have a vote for one I havent seen mentioned yet:  The Cabin in the Woods
Been mentioned a few times - great movie.  

I gotta try The Master again. It's on the list of many on this thread w tastes similar to mind, but i could not connect with it at all & did not even finish it in two previous attempts.

Beasts of the Southern Wild was an inspired choice. Wild ride that i should take again soon.

I don't know if I can pick four "best" but I'll do a list of movies I liked off the top of my head from 2010 - 2019 :

Blade Runner 2049
Bridge of Spies 
Deadpool
Edge of Tomorrow
Guardians of the Galaxy
Hunt for the Wilderpeople
John Wick
Looper
Mad Max Fury Road
Sicario
Sing Street
Skyfall
The Drop
The Social Network
True Grit
Whiplash
Zero Dark Thirty

Pleasant surprises/hidden gems/guilty pleasures of the 2010's

Tucker & Dale vs Evil

Train to Busan

Free Solo

Attack The Block

Molly's Game

Kong: Skull Island

Kingsman

Paddington

Darkest Hour

The Big Short

Deepwater Horizon

Patriots Day

10 Cloverfield Way

The Impossible

Real Steel

Everest

Paranorman

The Grey

Dredd

Super 8

My Week With Marilyn

Tron: Legacy

Easy A

Daybreakers

Tough to narrow it down

Whiplash.     

The Social Network.    

Avengers: Endgame.     

The Raid: Redemption

Reminder for those here that @KarmaPolice and I have been curating an an FBG movie club is where every month we watch 2 movies with some connection that are available on streaming. Come join in the fun and discussion. We still have another week left for December which features one of the funniest movies ever and AFI Top 100 selection 

Link

Keep seeing Drive pop up on these lists.  I’ve seen most of the movies listed but not this one, thought it was a cheesy car chase movie. Guess I’m wrong??

Keep seeing Drive pop up on these lists.  I’ve seen most of the movies listed but not this one, thought it was a cheesy car chase movie. Guess I’m wrong??
Not a car chase movie. Very unique movie. Got an 80’s Miami Vice vibe, great soundtrack.

Whiplash was under consideration for me.  IMO doesn't hold as well on rewatch, but wow the scenes where Simmons and Teller go at it are so good.  

I'd forgotten about Nightcrawler.  That was great.  Will need to revisit that one.  

For Boyhood, I had more of a nodding appreciation that it was made as it was than being entertained by it. 

Haven't seen any of the Before series.  I recognize that is a blind spot.  Just haven't summoned the interest to fire them up.  

My "meh" for Boyhood is probably a lot to do with my love for the Before trilogy.   I appreciated the balls it took for Linklater to do what he did with Boyhood, but for me he was already doing that to a point with more interesting characters in the Before movies - just not all in one movie.   Before Sunset is one of my all-time favorite movies.  Midnight put some people off a little, but I think it is a very fitting addition considering what their stories are - it's just not quite what people wanted to see from them.  

For me the one thing that doesn't hold up on Whiplash is the car accident and following scene, but the rest is top notch for me.  Played percussion/drums growing up, so that is right in my wheelhouse.  I think I have listened to Caravan 100s of times since seeing that movie.  

Pleasant surprises/hidden gems/guilty pleasures of the 2010's

Tucker & Dale vs Evil

Train to Busan

Free Solo

Attack The Block

Molly's Game

Kong: Skull Island

Kingsman

Paddington

Darkest Hour

The Big Short

Deepwater Horizon

Patriots Day

10 Cloverfield Way

The Impossible

Real Steel

Everest

Paranorman

The Grey

Dredd

Super 8

My Week With Marilyn

Tron: Legacy

Easy A

Daybreakers
Some damn good movies on that list, AD - especially love Easy A, Attack the Block, and Tucker and Dale.  I was thinking of posting my "underseen" movies of the decade in the other thread, but I will just piggy bag here, some off the top of my head were (and where to find them):

Short Term 12 (Prime)

Another Earth

Blue Ruin  - just a realistic revenge movie.  basically what it would look like average Joe like one of us took action, not Liam Neeson  (Netflix)

Take Shelter (Shudder)

Rango - one of my favorite "kids" movies.  Just so odd and I love the different background characters ( Prime/Hulu)

Force Majeure - I think I heard an American remake is coming.  Please just watch the original.  (Hulu)

The Way Way Back -  I :wub: Sam Rockwell.   Just a nice, fun, coming of age movie.   

The Hunt - not a light subject matter, but Mads Mikkelsen is great in it.  

The Handmaiden - I just watched this one recently and loved it.  From the director of Oldboy (Prime)

Safety Not Guaranteed - Mark Duplass and Aubrey Plaza

The One I Love - Mark Duplass and Elizabeth Moss (Netflix) 

Baby Driver - I was hesitant to watch this one, but the concept, soundtrack,  and the driving is top notch fun.   (Prime - Showtime sub)

I am sure there are a bunch I am missing, and I know it's 1st half of the decade heavy.  That's when I was at the video store and tried to watch just about everything.  

I'm going to have to rewatch Social Network. Seeing it on a lot of best of lists and it barely registered when I watched it originally. I liked it fersure, but it wasn't that impactful. If I wanted to add an early decade movie to my list, it'd be Inception. 

In no particular order:

• COCO, Inside Out, Paddington 2
  • Edge of Tomorrow, Hell or High Water, Sicario
  • 12 Years a Slave, Spotlight, Zero Dark Thirty

Top 4:

Mad Max: Fury Road 

Blade Runner: 2049

Birdman 

Moneyball 

Hms:

Her 

Get Out

Logan 

Gone Girl 

Django Unchained 

The One I Love 

A few that I don't think I've seen mentioned yet that deserve some love: Sorry to Bother You, Citizenfour, and I, Tonya.

Surprised not to see more "The Martian"...yes it was a bit dumbed down and cheesy, but overall one of the better films of the decade IMHO.
It’s become my new “Forrest Gump” or “Contact” - the movie that’s on TV all the time now and I watch it every time

With Netflix never having decent movies I just never see any unless on a plane or something like that.  Looking at these lists and of the 100 or so listed maybe seen 5?   It's an odd world.  10 years ago was just a movie snob and saw everything.  

With Netflix never having decent movies I just never see any unless on a plane or something like that.  Looking at these lists and of the 100 or so listed maybe seen 5?   It's an odd world.  10 years ago was just a movie snob and saw everything.  
Yeah I think NF does a terrible job replacing the local video store. I rent blu rays/dvds from the library and this year started doing the AMC Stubs thing where for like $20 a month, I can 3 movies for free a week. 

Odd, this is one of the only movies anyone has listed that I've seen, on an airplane....  Having only heard of it in passing a few years back as a millennials try a take on "say anything" movie I tried it.  I thought the acting was way out ahead of the directing and writing, which perhaps was somewhat improvised at times?  Wasn't really clear if they had a script for the balance of the movie or not.  The movie felt so uneven, some scenes were excellent and then some felt either rushed or shoehorned in to move the plot along.  Never had a desire to re-watch in a different environment.  

Yeah I think NF does a terrible job replacing the local video store. I rent blu rays/dvds from the library and this year started doing the AMC Stubs thing where for like $20 a month, I can 3 movies for free a week. 
:hifive:

Can someone explain to me the fascination with Fury Road?  There must be some 4D chess that's above my head because it just seemed like a 2 hour car chase to me and the wife.  

What haven't you seen?  We can help find them for you.  

justwatch.com is what I usually use to see if something is streaming.  
You are my hero.  So many times I'll think of a random movie or show, then go search Netflix/Prime/Hulu/etc one by one to see if it's available somewhere.  

I've spent the last 3 years basically binging tv shows, I have probably only watched one movie a year but I'm about to finish off Oz and will try and tackle some of these movies next.  
Thanks again sir!

A few that I don't think I've seen mentioned yet that deserve some love: Sorry to Bother You, Citizenfour, and I, Tonya.
Yes! Thank you. I, Tonya is an excellent movie. Captures the 90's really well and was also very funny. A great performance from Margot Robbie as well. 

Can someone explain to me the fascination with Fury Road?  There must be some 4D chess that's above my head because it just seemed like a 2 hour car chase to me and the wife.  
This comes up every now and then.  Like you I don't get it.  It probably appeals to the Gen X crowd that misses non CGI type action movies.  

Users who are viewing this thread