What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 101 Movies of the 80s (1 Viewer)

Very sweet movie, and the whole young guy older lady thing was hot
Why didn't it make the list?

:thumbdown:

Travolta entered the 1980's with these movies on his resume:

Saturday Night Fever
Grease
Blow Out
Urban Cowboy

That track record got him offered the lead roles in American Gigolo and Officer And A Gentleman, and strong consideration for Splash and About Last Night.

He turned those roles down instead to do: Two Of A Kind, Perfect and Staying Alive.

Those are some un-good career choices.

That track record got him offered the lead roles in American Gigolo and Officer And A Gentleman, and strong consideration for Splash and About Last Night.

He turned those roles down instead to do: Two Of A Kind, Perfect and Staying Alive
Hard to believe rumors about his sexuality followed him around. :mellow:

He turned those roles down instead to do: Two Of A Kind, Perfect and Staying Alive
Hard to believe rumors about his sexuality followed him around. :mellow:
But the same was true for Richard Gere and look at the roles he got.

Saturday Night Fever
Grease
Blow Out
Urban Cowboy

He turned those roles down instead to do: Two Of A Kind, Perfect and Staying Alive.

QT saved his career

Saturday Night Fever
Grease
Blow Out
Urban Cowboy

QT saved his career
I think Look Who’s Talking revived his career, but agree Pulp Fiction brought him back to the A-list.

Saturday Night Fever
Grease
Blow Out
Urban Cowboy

QT saved his career
Yeah Travolta has had a weird career. TV supporting standout to instantly the biggest movie star in the world and then a couple years later he was box office poison and kind of a joke. 10 years later he’s a huge star again. Now he’s back to joke status making direct to nowhere movies like Gotti.

Saturday Night Fever
Grease
Blow Out
Urban Cowboy

QT saved his career
Yeah Travolta has had a weird career. TV supporting standout to instantly the biggest movie star in the world and then a couple years later he was box office poison and kind of a joke. 10 years later he’s a huge star again. Now he’s back to joke status making direct to nowhere movies like Gotti.
During his second peak, he used all his clout to make … Battlefield Earth. That can’t have helped.

Saturday Night Fever
Grease
Blow Out
Urban Cowboy

QT saved his career
During his second peak, he used all his clout to make … Battlefield Earth. That can’t have helped.
You could do a heck a countdown of terrible Travolta movies.

Saturday Night Fever
Grease
Blow Out
Urban Cowboy

QT saved his career
Someone could. I’m not watching Battlefield Earth, Wild Hogs, etc.

Saturday Night Fever
Grease
Blow Out
Urban Cowboy

QT saved his career
Someone could. I’m not watching Battlefield Earth, Wild Hogs, etc.
And as I typed that, Travolta’s T-Mobile commercial came on the TV. :laugh:

Saturday Night Fever
Grease
Blow Out
Urban Cowboy

QT saved his career
As long as The Experts isn't on that list.

Spent like 10 minutes trying to figure out how to watch the right Vanishing (70% sure I had it) then the wife saw it was subtle and balked

Settled on roadhouse
It's at the Plymouth Library....that is how I plan to see it

I think amazon has it for 3.99 but it says 1990 so I don’t know

Also rev library sounds like a lot of work

And holy **** roadhouse is awesome, how am I a 43 year old male and just now seeing it

Spent like 10 minutes trying to figure out how to watch the right Vanishing (70% sure I had it) then the wife saw it was subtle and balked

Settled on roadhouse

And holy **** roadhouse is awesome, how am I a 43 year old male and just now seeing it
Wait, come again? You are a Roadhouse virgin?

Settled on roadhouse

Wait, you're only 43?

Settled on roadhouse

So you never had premium cable in the '80s, '90s or '00s? Because it was on those channels all the damn time (as Bill Murray can attest).

I still think my favorite memory was the time I asked a guy for ID (blockbuster was always cracking down on that) and the guy asked me if I’d accept a naked picture of his girlfriend instead. I shrugged and said sure, turns out he wasn’t bluffing and flashed his wallet to me. I accepted it and let him rent. Oh and she was standing right there. Not the hottest couple by any means but it at least broke up the monotony

My main Blockbuster memory was being invited for a romp by a married woman. She was waiting in the parking lot for me. :oldunsure:

One of my favorite customers at the other stores I worked at was the lady that would come in an ask a version of "do you have any movies that aren't crap?". Never seemed to like any freakin' movie, but of course was in every freakin' week too. :lol: I'm wondering if it was @JAA's mom now. :lol:

These are awesome. I always wanted to work in a video store.

Was one of the funner jobs I had, never really seemed like work aside from the occasional inventory nights (hey it’s midnight let’s go and scan every ****ing movie in the store and make sure the right tapes in the box)

Pretty good crew there though, management was mostly cool, I’d usually just ignore them if they wanted me to vacuum or other stuff I didn’t want to do. I always covered register when they’d go for smoke breaks so I got some leniency

Head manager also had one of those disc burners for PlayStation games so had a nice bootleg library

would have been first few years of college IIRC
Any of you former blockbuster employees work Titanic night? (I did).

I still think my favorite memory was the time I asked a guy for ID (blockbuster was always cracking down on that) and the guy asked me if I’d accept a naked picture of his girlfriend instead. I shrugged and said sure, turns out he wasn’t bluffing and flashed his wallet to me. I accepted it and let him rent. Oh and she was standing right there. Not the hottest couple by any means but it at least broke up the monotony

My main Blockbuster memory was being invited for a romp by a married woman. She was waiting in the parking lot for me. :oldunsure:

One of my favorite customers at the other stores I worked at was the lady that would come in an ask a version of "do you have any movies that aren't crap?". Never seemed to like any freakin' movie, but of course was in every freakin' week too. :lol: I'm wondering if it was @JAA's mom now. :lol:

These are awesome. I always wanted to work in a video store.

Was one of the funner jobs I had, never really seemed like work aside from the occasional inventory nights (hey it’s midnight let’s go and scan every ****ing movie in the store and make sure the right tapes in the box)

Pretty good crew there though, management was mostly cool, I’d usually just ignore them if they wanted me to vacuum or other stuff I didn’t want to do. I always covered register when they’d go for smoke breaks so I got some leniency

Head manager also had one of those disc burners for PlayStation games so had a nice bootleg library

would have been first few years of college IIRC
Any of you former blockbuster employees work Titanic night? (I did).

Possibly, if I did i must have blocked it out
Sixth Sense was the worst that I remember

I just watched this again a few nights ago.

The plot summaries on RT and IMDB are incorrect. When Robert Downey realizes that Mary Stuart Masterson is his daughter he tries to AVOID dating her. lol

It's a complex plot. Still, I love this movie.

Oof. Big whiff on my part on a comedy that I thought was early 90s. It probably would have been around the top 50 and then on this list. We will see if the other crew gets it, but I am guessing not as I don't see it ranking that high on 2 people's lists.

Oof. Big whiff on my part on a comedy that I thought was early 90s. It probably would have been around the top 50 and then on this list. We will see if the other crew gets it, but I am guessing not as I don't see it ranking that high on 2 people's lists.
So you opted for bong hits instead of research? :laugh:

Methinks the problem arises when the two are combined. ;)

Methinks the problem arises when the two are combined. ;)
A Phillies board I used to frequent had a language filter that replaced “Methinks” with “I think (you’re fooling no one with “methinks”)”.

Users who are viewing this thread