What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 101 Movies of the 80s (1 Viewer)

Oof. Big whiff on my part on a comedy that I thought was early 90s. It probably would have been around the top 50 and then on this list. We will see if the other crew gets it, but I am guessing not as I don't see it ranking that high on 2 people's lists.
So you opted for bong hits instead of research? :laugh:
Methinks the problem arises when the two are combined. ;)
A Phillies board I used to frequent had a language filter that replaced “Methinks” with “I think (you’re fooling no one with “methinks”)”.
I used to frequent another FF board that replaced the F bomb with smurf......it was pretty smurfin entertaining for a person who enjoys low brow humor such as myself

Last edited:
Starting "Wings of Desire" now...will report back.

Was 9 years old when it was released and had never heard of it until this thread. We'll see if it is half as good as Hoosier or Wall Street.

Alright, I have narrowed down my list to 101 movies that, in my opinion, are the best movies of the 1980's. Ranking them was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be.

1Empire Strikes Back
2Back to the Future
3Bladerunner
4The Goonies
5Time Bandits
6Trading Places
7Airplane!
8Big
9Lethal Weapon
10Pale Rider
11Secret of Nimh
12Better off Dead
13Three Amigos
14Excalibur
15The Terminator
16Ferris Beuller's Day Off
17Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan
18Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
19Firefox
20Raiders of the Lost Ark
21The Untouchables
22Return of the Jedi
23Sixteen Candles
24Johnny Dangerously
25The Breakfast Club
26Planes, Tranes, and Automobiles
27Spies Like Us
28Dead Poets Society
29Wall Street
30Ghostbusters
3148 Hours
32First Blood
33The Killing Fields
34Young Guns
35The 'Burbs
36Escape from New York
37Any Which Way You Can
38Caddyshack
39Conan the Barbarian
40Tootsie
41Die Hard
42Midnight Run
43Revenge of the Nerds
44This is Spinal Tap
45Fast Times at Ridgemont High
46The Thing
47Crocodile Dundee
48Pee Wee's Big Adventure
49Raging Bull
50Stand by Me
51Clash of the Titans
52Road House
53Thief
54Willow
55Gremlins
56Platoon
57Short Circuit
58Witness
59Heartbreak Ridge
60A Fish Called Wanda
61Batchelor Party
62Summer School
63Beverly Hills Cop
64History of the World, Part 1
65Blues Brothers
66Gandhi
67Raising Arizona
68The Year of Living Dangerously
69Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
70Robocop
71Coal Miners Daughter
72Predator
73E.T.
74The Karate Kid
75Scarface
76Batman
77Good Morning, Vietnam
78Porky's
79Aliens
80Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
81The Elephant Man
82Christine
83Top Gun
84The Princess Bride
85Outsiders
86Eight Men Out
87Risky Business
88The Great Outdoors
89The Abyss
90Full Metal Jacket
91Clue
92The Dark Crystal
93Reds
94The Shining
95Field of Dreams
96Pet Semetary
97Rain Man
98Creepshow
99Driving Miss Daisy
100The Running Man
101Overboard

Alright, I have narrowed down my list to 101 movies that, in my opinion, are the best movies of the 1980's. Ranking them was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be.

Pet Sematary over...

Hoosiers
The Natural

what are we even doing here?

Amadeus, Do the Right Thing, or Wings of Desire.
80s' LIST IN ORDER OF MOVIES THAT SHOWED UP ON THE LIST:
64. ALIENS
I hope 43 of the 47 pages of this thread is just people yelling about this.
Aliens is top 10. Easily.
What movie from our top 10 do you replace with Aliens?
If I am looking at the right list I would knock back Amadeus, Do the Right Thing, or Wings of Desire. That’s my taste though and it’s your list. I always appreciate when anyone generates these lists and threads so thank you for all the effort.

Black Roses

Wtf have I not seen this 80s metal horror gem before today? :lmao: such cheesy awesomeness
That looks....interesting
Man, it was something else. This week I had a bit of down time and didn't have the family yesterday, so I knocked out a handful of new-to-me movies, and a lot was from the horror genre. I watched this one and Alison's Birthday. Both I had never heard of before one of the podcasts - either Pure Cinema or Colors of the Dark, and both I had a blast with. Not mandatory viewing for a non-horror person, but perfect for people who might have seen just about everything and want something that's a blast with a group. Those podcast seem to gear towards programming a viewing at a theater, so their love of those two movies must have a little of the group watch element to it. Neither is something just to pop on sober and watch by yourself.

Another that I watched this week that falls in our 70s research that I am still thinking about was Messiah of Evil. It's another gem that I had never heard of but is mentioned a bit on these pods. I am so glad I watched it, and it's stuck with me for a couple of days now. I think it's on AMC+/Prime now. A visually eerie, odd, disorienting gem of a movie. A woman goes to a California town to track down her artist father. Part Lynch, part Italian horror, all sorts of interesting. Some very effective scenes and locations in this one.

I also watched a couple others that I didn't like as much. Eyes of Fire was one I thought was a bit dull, and there was another that I can't currently remember the title of (I really need to get back on the letterboxd thing).

I think the entire idea of ranking so many good movies is exhausting and not really worth the effort.
In one way, yes of course. There's no clear answers and it's all subjective. Nobody can definitively say Empire Strikes Back is more fun than Raiders of the Lost Ark or that Airplane is funnier than Caddyshack or that Raging Bull is for sure a better movie than The Shining. On the other hand, it led to some great movie discussions, banter, etc. So in that way it was a big success.

I think the entire idea of ranking so many good movies is exhausting and not really worth the effort.
In one way, yes of course. There's no clear answers and it's all subjective. Nobody can definitively say Empire Strikes Back is more fun than Raiders of the Lost Ark or that Airplane is funnier than Caddyshack or that Raging Bull is for sure a better movie than The Shining. On the other hand, it led to some great movie discussions, banter, etc. So in that way it was a big success.
For me it's worth the effort because I am lazy and sometimes need this deadline to watch some movies I've been pushing off. Also, in the process of ranking, I like the way making a list makes me start thinking about movies differently.

Sure not trying to talk bad about what's going on here. It's all good

Users who are viewing this thread