What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 101 Movies of the 80s (1 Viewer)

KarmaPolice

Footballguy
Math is done, now I just have to finalize the rankings based on said list. We will do it like the 90s countdown for the same reasons - I think @Ilov80s balanced each other out nicely last time around and it made it less likely that movies would be left off the top 100. That said, doing a quick scan tells me this could be more contentious than the 90s version like I posted, but we will see.

The Top 101:

101: BETTER OFF DEAD
100: CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS
99: THE STEPFATHER
98: STEEL MAGNOLIAS
97: PARIS, TEXAS
96: GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM
95: RIVER'S EDGE
94: MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO
93: COME AND SEE
92: MYSTERY TRAIN
91: AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN
90: GREMLINS
89: AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON
88: WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT?
87: THE GOONIES *
86: WITNESS
85: THE SERPENT AND THE RAINBOW
84: BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE
83: TERMS OF ENDEARMENT
82: EVIL DEAD
81: THE GREAT OUTDOORS
80: FLETCH
79: TRADING PLACES
78: THE FLY
77: FATAL ATTRACTION
76: AIRPLANE! *
75: THE 'BURBS
74: WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN
73: MY LEFT FOOT
72: BRAZIL
71: PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE
70: AFTER HOURS
69: POLYESTER
68: TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A.
67: PLANES, TRAINS, AND AUTOMOBILES
66: RETURN OF THE JEDI
65: A FISH CALLED WANDA
64: SEX, LIVES, AND VIDEOTAPE
63: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK ****
62: BIG
61: RISKY BUSINESS
60: THE ABYSS
59: ORDINARY PEOPLE
58: PREDATOR
57: FIRST BLOOD
56: SCARFACE
55: THE KARATE KID
54: HOUSE OF GAMES
53: GHOSTBUSTERS ***
52: MIDNIGHT RUN
51: DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS
50: THE LOST BOYS
49: SOMETHING WILD
48: BULL DURHAM
47: BATMAN
46: AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS
45: CINEMA PARADISO
44: FITZCARRALDO
43: THE RIGHT STUFF
42: THE VANISHING
41: FIELD OF DREAMS
40: E.T.
39: RAISING ARIZONA
38: THE ELEPHANT MAN
37: THE BREAKFAST CLUB
36: THE VERDICT
35: THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY
34: THE THING
33: A ROOM WITH A VIEW
32: COMING TO AMERICA
31: BROADCAST NEWS
30: FULL METAL JACKET
29: FANNY AND ALEXANDER
28: HEATHERS
27: THE KING OF COMEDY
26; TOP GUN
25: ROBOCOP
24: DEAD POETS SOCIETY
23: THE PRINCESS BRIDE
22: RAIN MAN
21: THIEF
20: FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF
20: GHOSTBUSTERS
19: ALIENS
18: STAND BY ME
17: THE TERMINATOR
16: WHEN HARRY MET SALLY
15: RAGING BULL
14: BEVERLY HILLS COP
13: BLUE VELVET
12: RAN
11: FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH
10: BLOW OUT
9: AMADEUS
8: THIS IS SPINAL TAP
7: WINGS OF DESIRE
6: DO THE RIGHT THING
5: BLADE RUNNER
4: EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
3: THE SHINING
2: DIE HARD
1: BACK TO THE FUTURE

Last edited:
KP'S LIST IN ORDER OF MOVIES THAT SHOWED UP ON THE LIST:

1. BACK TO THE FUTURE
FULL METAL JACKET
EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
BLUE VELVET
ALIENS
THE SHINING
DIE HARD
WINGS OF DESIRE
BLOW OUT
THE THING
TOP GUN
BLADE RUNNER
RAGING BULL
THE BREAKFAST CLUB
THE ELEPHANT MAN
E.T.
THE VANISHING
THIS IS SPINAL TAP
DO THE RIGHT THING
WHEN HARRY MET SALLY
FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH
BULL DURHAM
FANNY AND ALEXANDER
STAND BY ME
BEVERLY HILLS COP
AMADEUS
GHOSTBUSTERS
THE KARATE KID
RAN
FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF
DEAD POET'S SOCIETY
THE ABYSS
BIG
THE LOST BOYS
SEX, LIES AND VIDEOTAPE
RETURN OF THE JEDI
ROBOCOP
RAIN MAN
THE TERMINATOR
AFTER HOURS
MY LEFT FOOT
THE 'BURBS
FATAL ATTRACTION
THE FLY
THE GREAT OUTDOORS
EVIL DEAD
BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE
SERPENT AND THE RAINBOW
KING OF COMEDY
THE GOONIES
AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON
GREMLINS
COMING TO AMERICA
CINEMA PARADISO
MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO
GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM
THE PRINCESS BRIDE
PREDATOR
BATMAN
THE STEPFATHER
THIEF
62. BETTER OFF DEAD
65. PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES
66. TRADING PLACES
71. HEATHERS
76. DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS
78. RIVER'S EDGE
80. PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE

80s' LIST IN ORDER OF MOVIES THAT SHOWED UP ON THE LIST:

1. DO THE RIGHT THING
AMADEUS
BROADCAST NEWS
BACK TO THE FUTURE
DIE HARD
BLADE RUNNER
RAN
THE SHINING
THIS IS SPINAL TAP
A ROOM WITH A VIEW
THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY
THE VERDICT
WINGS OF DESIRE
FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
RAISING ARIZONA
FIELD OF DREAMS
THE RIGHT STUFF
THE TERMINATOR
FITZCARRALDO
AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS
THIEF
SOMETHING WILD
BEVERLY HILLS COP
BLOW OUT
MIDNIGHT RUN
HEATHERS
HOUSE OF GAMES
THE PRINCESS BRIDE
SCARFACE
FIRST BLOOD
ORDINARY PEOPLE
RISKY BUSINESS
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
WHEN HARRY MET SALLY
A FISH CALLED WANDA
STAND BY ME
TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A.
RAGING BULL
POLYESTER
BRAZIL
WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN
AIRPLANE!
BLUE VELVET
FLETCH
RAIN MAN
TERMS OF ENDEARMENT
THE KING OF COMEDY
DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS
WITNESS
WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT?
FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF
AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN
MYSTERY TRAIN
COME AND SEE
COMING TO AMERICA
ROBOCOP
DEAD POETS SOCIETY
PARIS, TEXAS
STEEL MAGNOLIAS
PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE
CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS
BATMAN
64. ALIENS
67. CINEMA PARADISO
72. PLANES, TRAINS, AND AUTOMOBILES
74. PREDATOR
76. RIVER'S EDGE
78. TOP GUN
90. THE LOST BOYS

Last edited:
@Ilov80s can feel free to share his though process too.

For me, there is a very distinct difference between doing a list of the top movies of the 80s vs a list of the top 80s movies. I was very much into the 1st phrasing. For example, Licence to Drive is a very "80s movie" and would rank higher on a list like that for me than it would when I am doing top movies that came out in the 80s - if that makes sense to anybody but me. My approach was more of a desert Island philosophy, and I ranked them by how I would grab them if I was only allowed a certain # of movies from the decade. Just like the last one - there is a mix of nostalgia, movie snobbery, and even movies I saw for the first time very recently and would want to grab and revisit. That said, this list would probably look different in a month. It's not easy to do these, at least for me, and after I got past the top 30 or so, it was more tiers that separated, and the ranking within those probably would vary.

I have the top 30 figured out already and I will say I am quite pleased. At the very least, I would say that it's very fitting considering the 2 people doing this, it's representative of great 80s movies, and there are some massive movies that are not on it.

Overall, just looking to take a stroll down memory lane, talk about how age differences might really effect the rankings for the 80s movies, how people approach rewatches or how movies do or don't hold up, things like that. And of course some busting of balls along the way.

I was basically ranking the movies by how much I like them- that's an indefinable combination of story, acting, production, direction, etc. I paid no attention to whether a movie is beloved or genre or anything like that. If you've paid attention over the years, you might have noticed that I'm not typically big on sci-fi, horror or action. I also have a weird penchant for big budget high production prestige movies. I am sure I had another English Patient or 2 on my list.

Ultimately, when it's just 2 people making a list, it's going to be idiosyncratic. The more people involved, the more the rough edges get smoothed out. This isn't the definitive list or a list meant to be perfect. It's just for some fun, conversation, debate and good natured ribbing.

No-one asked me, I'll probably pop it at the end of the thread like I did for the others but I think it would be cool to do a "Top 100 80's movies from a bunch of middle aged dummies" list instead of another top x list from a single member. Less "look at awesome me and my opinion are" and more inclusive of the rest of us middle aged dummies. I realize it's a lot more work (a LOT more work) but I feel like it's a better format, sparks more discussion and is a lot more interesting all around. Just my 2 cents. . . of course I'm not willing to help with that (don't have the time). . . .and of course I'm just here to criticize. . . so please feel free to ignore my comments and carry on.

Last edited:
No-one asked me, I'll probably pop it at the end of the thread like I did for the others but I think it would be cool to do a "Top 100 80's movies from a bunch of middle aged dummies" list instead of another top x list from a single member. Less "look at awesome me and my opinion are" and more inclusive of the rest of us middle aged dummies. I realize it's a lot more work (a LOT more work) but I feel like it's a better format, sparks more discussion and is a lot more interesting all around. Just my 2 cents. . . of course I'm not willing to help with that (don't have the time). . . .and of course I'm just here to criticize. . . so carry on.
Yes, far far more work. Krista is amazing. I like your idea though. The one drawback of the movie vs music versions is that we can put all the daily songs on a playlist so that people can listen a long, discover new songs, etc. Obviously nobody can watch multiple movies everyday. Some of the movies might be difficult to find- can't just throw a link to Youtube or Spotify up. Also I can commit to listening to a 4 minute Supertramp song that I am pretty sure will annoy me. I can't commit to a 140 minute sci-fi film that I am disinterested in.

But all that said and perhaps I would consider running something like it over the summer when I have more time.

Last edited:
No-one asked me, I'll probably pop it at the end of the thread like I did for the others but I think it would be cool to do a "Top 100 80's movies from a bunch of middle aged dummies" list instead of another top x list from a single member. Less "look at awesome me and my opinion are" and more inclusive of the rest of us middle aged dummies. I realize it's a lot more work (a LOT more work) but I feel like it's a better format, sparks more discussion and is a lot more interesting all around. Just my 2 cents. . . of course I'm not willing to help with that (don't have the time). . . .and of course I'm just here to criticize. . . so carry on.
Yes, far far more work. Krista is amazing. I like your idea though. The one drawback of the movie vs music versions is that we can put all the daily songs on a playlist so that people can listen a long, discover new songs, etc. Obviously nobody can multiple movies everyday. Some of the movies might be difficult to find- can't just throw a link to Youtube or Spotify up. Also I can commit to listening to a 4 minute Supertramp song that I am pretty sure will annoy me. I can't commit to a 140 minute sci-fi film that I really disinterested in.

But all that said and perhaps I would consider running something like it over the summer when I have more time.
I did have a lot of fun when you both ran the year by year ones a few years back. And it gave me an excuse to watch some movies that I had never seen before, but always wanted to, for research purposes.

Yes, far far more work. Krista is amazing. I like your idea though. The one drawback of the movie vs music versions is that we can put all the daily songs on a playlist so that people can listen a long, discover new songs, etc. Obviously nobody can multiple movies everyday. Some of the movies might be difficult to find- can't just throw a link to Youtube or Spotify up. Also I can commit to listening to a 4 minute Supertramp song that I am pretty sure will annoy me. I can't commit to a 140 minute sci-fi film that I really disinterested in.

I did have a lot of fun when you both ran the year by year ones a few years back. And it gave me an excuse to watch some movies that I had never seen before, but always wanted to, for research purposes.
Behind the scenes we were talking a little about why those died out and/or people lost interest. We were brainstorming a little about who to generate a little more focused movie thread, even if its just as simple as a theme in a month and people can post recs that are available to stream, top 10 lists, something.

No-one asked me, I'll probably pop it at the end of the thread like I did for the others but I think it would be cool to do a "Top 100 80's movies from a bunch of middle aged dummies" list instead of another top x list from a single member. Less "look at awesome me and my opinion are" and more inclusive of the rest of us middle aged dummies. I realize it's a lot more work (a LOT more work) but I feel like it's a better format, sparks more discussion and is a lot more interesting all around. Just my 2 cents. . . of course I'm not willing to help with that (don't have the time). . . .and of course I'm just here to criticize. . . so please feel free to ignore my comments and carry on.
I really hope our lists and countdowns don't come off as such. It couldn't be farther from the truth - it's more about discussion of something I love and being interested in what my list looks like when forced to think about it and do one. I would have 0 problems if people piped up about what their top 100 would look like or why our picks wouldn't be on it. As to your idea, I am fully on board with participating in something like that, but I am horrible with computers and a slow typist so I am not going to put together something like the music ideas. It's just not in my wheelhouse. For this I was using notebooks and highlighters. :lol:

I really hope our lists and countdowns don't come off as such. It couldn't be farther from the truth - it's more about discussion of something I love and being interested in what my list looks like when forced to think about it and do one. I would have 0 problems if people piped up about what their top 100 would look like or why our picks wouldn't be on it. As to your idea, I am fully on board with participating in something like that, but I am horrible with computers and a slow typist so I am not going to put together something like the music ideas. It's just not in my wheelhouse. For this I was using notebooks and highlighters. :lol:
I just want to be publicly berated and humiliated

Last edited:

Behind the scenes we were talking a little about why those died out and/or people lost interest. We were brainstorming a little about who to generate a little more focused movie thread, even if its just as simple as a theme in a month and people can post recs that are available to stream, top 10 lists, something.
Yeah I think this thread kind of came out of wanting to start a more focused movie thread, not sure what the answer was and figuring this was something we could easily put together in the mean time.

Yeah I think this thread kind of came out of wanting to start a more focused movie thread, not sure what the answer was and figuring this was something we could easily put together in the mean time.
Exactly. I've been talking myself into this for about 6 months now, so might as well just get this out of the way. ;)

ChatGPT, create a typical FFA poster

Before we get into the countdown, I want to highlight a couple movies that didn't make my list. Sharpen those knives...

• Johnny Be Good Anthony Michael Hall, Uma Thurman, Robert Downey Jr, Jennifer Tilley might have made better movies but Iron Man and Pulp Fiction don't ask what if the nation's top college football recruit was a short scrawny nerd who was thinking of throwing away his football career because his HS girlfriend wants him to attend some stupid school with apparently the only football coach in the country not interested in recruiting him?

• School Spirit The only thing keeping Billy Batson from the girl of his dreams is one little condom—or rather the lack of one. Lucky Billy finds one at an all-night roadhouse—but speeding back to his girl, he is killed in a head-on collision. Now invisible, Billy must find his sweetheart and rekindle her fire.

• Terror in Beverly Hills The President's daughter has been kidnapped and the only person that can save her is ex-marine FRANK STALLONE

• The Jerk, Too The perfect movie for anyone who enjoyed The Jerk but isn't a fan of Steve Martin

Last edited:
A preview of things to come:
  1. We agreed less on the 80s than we did the 90s. If I counted right (see the music thread to form an opinion of the odds of this), we only had 39 shared movies. Of those, the top 29 of the countdown is ones on both lists. The way I do these naturally boosts ones we agree on.
  2. We each had 2 movies in our personal top 10s that did not appear on the other's list.
  3. I made the comment to 80s in a PM that more times than not when I was writing down pairings that received the same points my movie geared more PG and his was more adult. I think that points to the age difference and maybe mean leaning a little more nostolgia.

I will probably post the first 6 movies later on to spark a little more interest and discussion.

Ultimately, when it's just 2 people making a list, it's going to be idiosyncratic. The more people involved, the more the rough edges get smoothed out. This isn't the definitive list or a list meant to be perfect. It's just for some fun, conversation, debate and good natured ribbing.
Your name is ilov80s. You're doing an 80s movies list.

I will automatically defer to you here. No pressure.

Before we get into the countdown, I want to highlight a couple movies that didn't make my list. Sharpen those knives...
  • Terror in Beverly Hills The President's daughter has been kidnapped and the only person that can save her is ex-marine FRANK STALLONE
This is far from over. :<_<:

• Johnny Be Good Anthony Michael Hall, Uma Thurman, Robert Downey Jr, Jennifer Tilley might have made better movies but Iron Man and Pulp Fiction don't ask what if the nation's top college football recruit was a short scrawny nerd who was thinking of throwing away his football career because his HS girlfriend wants him to attend some stupid school with apparently the only football coach in the country not interested in recruiting him?
hard to beat the Judas Priest cover during the credits tho.

Easily the most iconic use of Johnny B. Goode in an 80s movie.

I see what you did there (I think).

We haven't started and you are already starting fights? ;)

😃 back to the future

Love, love, love this movie. Was always part of a Young Bogart's triple feature with (pretty sure neither are making the list): Thrashin' and The Dirt Bike Kid.

Might have worn a RAD Racing t-shirt to a 35th year anniversary showing at the theater. Thought I would be the biggest fan in the place until someone walked in with the full RAD racing suit with helmet.

Users who are viewing this thread