What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lache Seastrunk - RB - Baylor (1 Viewer)

So Dallas feels he has a better shot than Synjin Days but he is still a long shot. Not the worst thing taking a flier on a Dallas RB but he has a lot of bodies to jump over to get a chance.

Yes, he's a long shot. However if he does hit. His upside is excellent. That's all anyone is saying.
Yeah I don't see what the argument here is by some people. I refrained from commenting because I was targeting him as my 26th player out of 26 in a dynasty league. He's a lottery ticket. If he gets cut, that's easy enough and I pick up a kicker. If he makes the team, he'll have injury prone or largely unproven players in front of him so we'll see what happens.

It's not like anyone is investing a first rounder in him.

Yes, he's a long shot. However if he does hit. His upside is excellent. That's all anyone is saying.
Yeah I don't see what the argument here is by some people. I refrained from commenting because I was targeting him as my 26th player out of 26 in a dynasty league. He's a lottery ticket. If he gets cut, that's easy enough and I pick up a kicker. If he makes the team, he'll have injury prone or largely unproven players in front of him so we'll see what happens.

And the non "long shot" on the 'Boys RB depth chart is?

What does that have to do with Lache? All the more reason to take a chance on him.

What does that have to do with Lache? All the more reason to take a chance on him.
Bully! That's precisely the point!

Randle fans need not get their panties in a bunch because Lache is in town. If my memory serves me correctly, Joseph Randle was once a "long shot" and we see how that turned out. Lache has as good a chance as anyone on that roster of starting. Buy buy buy.

Randle fans need not get their panties in a bunch because Lache is in town. If my memory serves me correctly, Joseph Randle was once a "long shot" and we see how that turned out. Lache has as good a chance as anyone on that roster of starting. Buy buy buy.
And it's certainly arguable that The Underwear Thief remains so. It's really difficult to see a clear starter in this group at all.

Lache is a nice lottery ticket in Dallas. Big upside if he hits, and if he turns out to be junk then we'll probably know that before the season starts. Dallas is a great landing spot for him: big hole / open competition at RB, plus a great OL & system for the running game, plus experience making things work for players who are prone to trouble.

I added him in three of my leagues after the WW opened tonight, for free (i.e., no bid paid). The player I dropped in each league holds low expectations given the makeup of the roster.

Chances are very poor Seastrunk will last on my rosters since I have very low expectations. I think he's a camp body, there to take reps while others mend. But because it's Dallas, as others have said, he's a lottery ticket. Maybe I'll be surprised and he'll generate a little buzz, enough to deal for a future rookie pick. Or maybe J Randle will get caught doing something stupid again. Who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll grab him on principle. Still think he should be returning kicks. If he gets cut, drop him, screw it.

He was free anyway.

I'll grab him on principle. Still think he should be returning kicks. If he gets cut, drop him, screw it.

He was free anyway.
I didn't even think of that. Boys need a KR with the departure of Harris.
Not sure if he can catch the ball well enough out of the backfield, let alone field kicks. But we'll see.
Well like I said, I watched his highlight reel and came away unimpressed. That's not supposed to happen.

If he falls five more picks I'm picking him in an ongoing draft.

I'm looking at the picks being made, day two non lb's, and im left saying if Seastrunk flames out then a similar caliber player will be available where waivers open late August.

I think his upside is somewhat limited due to his lack of involvement in the passing game, but if he gets enough touches in that offense he will still be more than worth it anyway.

He was free anyway.
I didn't even think of that. Boys need a KR with the departure of Harris.
Not sure if he can catch the ball well enough out of the backfield, let alone field kicks. But we'll see.
Well like I said, I watched his highlight reel and came away unimpressed. That's not supposed to happen.
do you not like guys who break tackles and run away from DBs? He looks fast with good vision to me. Not sure what you are watching. His weakness is in the passing game and he just wasn't used in that role...

MAC_32 said:
If he falls five more picks I'm picking him in an ongoing draft.
At what spot would you be taking him?
42nd round.
I don't play IDP but I gotta assume at that point, what's the risk? My 25/26th rounds in a non-IDP were Ryan Williams and Lache. In fact I need one of them to either not make the team or go to IR in the preseason because I don't have a kicker at the moment. I'll shoot for the fences and it's no big deal if they both repeat what they've done in their career so far.

Exactly, there is no risk. Just the end of the bench flier that could be used on another long shot.

ESPN Dallas' Todd Archer suggests second-year RB Lache Seastrunk could be headed to Dallas' practice squad.
Archer says Seastrunk is the clear No. 5 back behind Joseph Randle, Darren McFadden, Lance Dunbar, and Ryan Williams, and didn't so much as get a practice rep when reporters were there to observe Cowboys spring practices. Archer says it "doesn't appear" Seastrunk is a realistic candidate for the 53-man roster.
Source: ESPN Dallas
Jun 21 - 4:04 PM

A majority of the lottery tickets you buy turn out to be losers. Hopefully nobody spent too much.

A majority of the lottery tickets you buy turn out to be losers. Hopefully nobody spent too much.
Do you think anyone spent "too much" on a guy that was a third round rookie pick before his rookie season and did nothing but get released by three teams during that rookie season? He was a waiver wire add for 99.9% of his owners I'm sure.

Do you think anyone spent "too much" on a guy that was a third round rookie pick before his rookie season and did nothing but get released by three teams during that rookie season? He was a waiver wire add for 99.9% of his owners I'm sure.
At this point, yes, he's a ww add for almost everyone.

But as stated much earlier in this thread, there was a time when he was a high (top 5) devy pick for leagues who do that. That's the only reason he even has continued interest and name recognition.

At this point, yes, he's a ww add for almost everyone.

But as stated much earlier in this thread, there was a time when he was a high (top 5) devy pick for leagues who do that. That's the only reason he even has continued interest and name recognition.
He was also going in the 2nd round of most rookie drafts, too early to cast him away, imo. Especially in Dallas with the beasty offensive line.

i spent 40% of blind bid cash on him, that's like tge max for too much maybe...who knows what that would have amounted to

Word is Ryan Williams will be cut, Seastrunk will be on the practice squad.

He could still be a lotto ticket, but I wouldn't pay anything for him.

Did anyone really think this guy was going to make the roster in Dallas?
Anticipating Darren McFadden or Ryan Williams potentially getting banged up does seem like a pretty foolish stance to take.
Those guys can both get injured and he still doesn't touch the field. He's 5th on the depth chart.
That would then make him third on the depth chart with Dunbar being more of a third down type back - so there could potentially be some opportunity to see the field and then it would be on him to prove his worth. I'm not arguing that he's anything more than a long shot - but he was certainly one to take a chance on for as cheap as he was.

Williams out of the picture now, so that is one thing going in Lache's favor or does the Gus Johnson addition keep it the same? Can't wait to see this guy behind that deep Cowboys OL in preseason

Williams out of the picture now, so that is one thing going in Lache's favor or does the Gus Johnson addition keep it the same? Can't wait to see this guy behind that deep Cowboys OL in preseason
THe rap sheet on Gus Johnson says he's fairly worthless as a pass catcher and even worse in pass protection and he's not a chain mover, despite his build. I guess that tells why he was undrafted.

Something tells me the biggest RB impact on that team isn't on the team...yet.

Give this guy 20 carries behind that O-Line and he'll run for over 100 yards and put together a highlight reel! Cmon Jerry!

Not sold on this guy... electric speed and great at running the ball, certainly.

His NFL prospects are (at the moment) virtually nil for two big reasons

1: Not a threat in the passing game despite his size. For a big RB who's 230-240, that's fine but not for somebody of Lache's size.

2: Tying into that, he's untrustworthy in pass pro. At his best, he can be like Sproles and probably chip a guy before going into the flat but Romo is far more valuable to the Cowboys (obviously) and until he can pass protect consistently, he won't surpass anything more than practice squad or deep 3rd/4th RB fodder. All it takes is a missed block or missed assignment to get Romo injured and send a team's year spiraling.

DawnBTVS said:
Not sold on this guy... electric speed and great at running the ball, certainly.

1: Not a threat in the passing game despite his size. For a big RB who's 230-240, that's fine but not for somebody of Lache's size.

2: Tying into that, he's untrustworthy in pass pro. At his best, he can be like Sproles and probably chip a guy before going into the flat but Romo is far more valuable to the Cowboys (obviously) and until he can pass protect consistently, he won't surpass anything more than practice squad or deep 3rd/4th RB fodder. All it takes is a missed block or missed assignment to get Romo injured and send a team's year spiraling.
I tend to agree... Not sure I get all the hype for a guy released by the Redskins, Panthers and Titans before appearing in a regular season game.

DawnBTVS said:

I tend to agree... Not sure I get all the hype for a guy released by the Redskins, Panthers and Titans before appearing in a regular season game.
Notice I didn't claim "give this guy 20 pass protections and he'll keep his QB upright!" All he needs are carries. If this kid never sees the field during a regular season game I will be super bummed! Don't let a stud go from 7+ yards a carry to never more than practice squad. Please, Jerry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1oewW3nNJE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT8yGd1I6vs

Keeping the dream alive with highlight vids.

I don't understand the, he got cut by 3 teams so he must suck argument. Coaches have been wrong multiple times. He didn't even put pads on with the Titans. He obviously has some things to work on and maybe they just didn't have the roster room. Arian Foster, who has been one of the best RBs in the league past few years, started out on the practice squad and nobody else claimed him. Does that mean he sucks? Coaches get it wrong, players take different paths...it happens

I think most people that are hating probably have a fixed mindset meaning they think that players can only be good as they are in that moment in time. There is no working for improvement as you are born with a certain level of ability. I strongly believe in the growth mindset which tells me players can change, develop, and good things can happen if they keep grinding. While I don't know how hard Lache works, but i know he is born with enough athletic ability if he can figure the rest out. Plenty of players have taken weird paths. Look at James Harrison- the Steelers cut him 3 times and the Ravens cut him once- what did he become?

I don't understand the, he got cut by 3 teams so he must suck argument. Coaches have been wrong multiple times. He didn't even put pads on with the Titans. He obviously has some things to work on and maybe they just didn't have the roster room. Arian Foster, who has been one of the best RBs in the league past few years, started out on the practice squad and nobody else claimed him. Does that mean he sucks? Coaches get it wrong, players take different paths...it happens

I think most people that are hating probably have a fixed mindset meaning they think that players can only be good as they are in that moment in time. There is no working for improvement as you are born with a certain level of ability. I strongly believe in the growth mindset which tells me players can change, develop, and good things can happen if they keep grinding. While I don't know how hard Lache works, but i know he is born with enough athletic ability if he can figure the rest out. Plenty of players have taken weird paths. Look at James Harrison- the Steelers cut him 3 times and the Ravens cut him once- what did he become?
This is too overboard. It's not Lache at all.

How closely do you follow him?

He is a guy that was not NFL ready as per his college coach and many scouts.

I don't feel it's reasonable to say they were all wrong. Scouts sure, happens often, but his college coach loves his players and seems to me to be a real special man.

(He tries to visit everyone and I think that's fantastic)

He said Lache needed time again this spring. He visited the Titans, discussed the spread, and spent time with Wright.

Not long after, he is visiting the Cowboys and Lache is a Cowboy.

That is a hmmm type thing.

Do you know Lache had zero carries while the reporters witnessed spring activities? every day they were there, he was healthy and ready but got zero carries

I am beyond impressed with Gary Brown as a RB coach. I don't know how he's going to "fix" Lache. It seems he's too far down the depth chart to get a good story where reporters are digging into details about him. I don't know what exactly isn't NFL ready about him. It's not a normal phrase for a RB but I think you gotta put some faith in Brown getting him there and you gotta be more patient than expecting success in 2015 from Lache.

Is observing what he needs? See how Lance did this? Randle did that? We don't why he had zero carries and if he was standing next to Brown getting tips and chatting about it all...all we know is zero carries.

He failed with three teams. Probably because he wasn't ready. There's no sugar coating that. The guy fired from 3 different jobs in 2 years, doesn't have former bosses saying "he's a great worker." He might have bosses saying he needs to go back to school though, needs to learn XYZ so he can perform that job better. I think this is the case here. It seems to be.

Lache is very fortunate. Most teams do not afford players patience unless they're high draft picks.

I think one could absolutely say he's got some impressive physical attributes to attract four NFL teams to him, sure, but ya gotta realize this isn't a ready to go product.

Last year the Boys traded for the chance to select Street. IIRC he was active every game yet barely played. To some that'd be a waste of a spot, but this spring during OTAs, with Dez out, he was very impressive. I don't expect Street to play much in 2015, maybe- I guess we'll see in TC and preseason. Clearly though he's made significant progress and you gotta assume the Cowboys are pleased with that.

I think Lache is looking at a scenario like Street. They signed him 2 years and he's an exclusive rights FA. The latter I think is because they're gonna spend some time teaching and want the reward and chance to keep him. ERFA are usually one year deals. It's not normal to designate him an ERFA and that's a good thing for Lache but at the same time zero carries during weeks of practices is not.

DawnBTVS said:

Notice I didn't claim "give this guy 20 pass protections and he'll keep his QB upright!" All he needs are carries. If this kid never sees the field during a regular season game I will be super bummed! Don't let a stud go from 7+ yards a carry to never more than practice squad. Please, Jerry.

Doesn't matter how many carries he gets. If you cannot pass protect in the NFL, you're not going to get carries. It's that simple.

Almost every single RB can run the ball in the NFL from the starters on down to the 3rd and 4th stringers. They are all athletic and have enough speed. There's also a reason why 'pass protection' is treated as a core value of drafting or acquiring a RB by NFL teams and to ignore that for the sake of 'fantasy' is doing a disservice to yourself as an evaluator of talent.

For every Justin Forsett or Priest Holmes, there's a Mike Hart or James Davis.

DawnBTVS said:

Doesn't matter how many carries he gets. If you cannot pass protect in the NFL, you're not going to get carries. It's that simple.

Almost every single RB can run the ball in the NFL from the starters on down to the 3rd and 4th stringers. They are all athletic and have enough speed. There's also a reason why 'pass protection' is treated as a core value of drafting or acquiring a RB by NFL teams and to ignore that for the sake of 'fantasy' is doing a disservice to yourself as an evaluator of talent.

For every Justin Forsett or Priest Holmes, there's a Mike Hart or James Davis.
MJD, DMC, Toby Gerhart, a dead legged Ben Tate, all the Arizona RB's beyond Ellington were not capable of running the football last year but were given the opportunity to do so. I don't have faith in NFL personnel people 100%. They are human and judge things beyond simply ones running ability. Most of the time they are correct in their assessments and we follow their lead in our team construction. This just happens to be one of those times where, while I don't necessarily feel they are wrong for why they didn't keep Seastrunk around, I feel raw talent is high and if the intangibles come around its not something I wish to miss on. Especially if it happens behind the Dallas oline. Hopefully he breaks camp with the team. Probably more likely on PS again but I'm holding my breath and its as good a joker to have in your hand as any.

DawnBTVS said:

13-34-1

Didn't the Titans keep Javon Ringer and release Blount before he tore it up with the Bucs?
Yeah, but with Blount's issues who knows what was going on with him...could say the same of Seastrunk, he's allegedly a weird dude, and a guy coaches don't like. Not sure if that's a comment on work ethic, personality, etc. or if it's just internet rumor but I've seen it around multiple places.

Didn't the Titans keep Javon Ringer and release Blount before he tore it up with the Bucs?
Blount cut himself. It was a tight race. He had four chances to pound it in from the one and failed each time.

With CJ there was a specific role the backup had to fill. Not so dissimilar to people saying Asiata isn't the best option to replace ADP but yet is useful backup.

Also IIRC that's the year they had a slew of young potential wideouts (none panned out) and kept 5 or 6 WRs and only 2 RBs. It's moreso that they kept Hawkins or Williams or Gage than Ringer over Blount. I can't imagine a team with just 2 RBs in today's NFL and that was only 5 years ago

A very good ST player (and also a RB) Cyrus Gray was cut by KC. He's from Texas and went to A&M.

I wonder about "he would upgrade our special teams" players and if they could nudge Lache out the door.

Users who are viewing this thread