What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chris Brooks, MIA (1 Viewer)

LawFitz

Footballguy
No idea who this rookie is at all. Just heard of him this morning, but he's a Raheem the dream Mostert stubbed toe away from being a potentially heavily deployed Mike McDaniel RB. He's also 6'1'' ~230 lbs and supposedly has some decent burst. Here's his draft profile from NFL.com..

Overview
The size and athletic markers are in place to garner some excitement from NFL evaluators, but the tape simply doesn’t sparkle enough. Brooks is at his best playing downhill for an inside/outside zone concept. He has enough vision and burst to get what is blocked and will run through arm tackles, but he’s not a physical back by nature and doesn’t create enough with power. Brooks is capable as a receiver out of the backfield but needs to prove to teams that he can take on pass protection duties to compete for third-down reps. He should find a camp opportunity as an undrafted free agent.
Strengths
  • Well-built running back with excellent size.
  • Above-average explosiveness at his pro day.
  • Runs through arm tackles with relative ease.
  • Adequate vision to get what is blocked on inside/outside zone.
  • Displayed some talent as a receiver out of the backfield at Cal in 2021.
Weaknesses
  • Below-average short-area foot quickness to stop and start.
  • Doesn’t play to his size.
  • Rarely accelerates through contact and continues driving his feet.
  • Had issues with focus drops at times.
  • Pass protection will need more technique work and grit.

No idea if this guy is a dude, but this situation screams

:Ear to the ground: :Hand on the wire:

Who has seen him play? What can you tell us?

Really wish Waldman would tell us why Zaqandre White couldn't stick before I buy fully into Brooks.

But yeah, sounds like Brooks is one to monitor.

Waldman has been telling you to monitor Brooks from the very first edition of the RSP this year. I already have picked him up and dropped him. Another team claimed him for some reason the other day. Guess this is why.

Brooks could get some playing time since Achane is inactive, probably as a precaution for his shoulder injury in preseason game 2. GL carries are possible.

From what I see it looks like Alec Ingold would get the touches over Brooks….
Maybe they don’t trust the rookie yet??

From what I see it looks like Alec Ingold would get the touches over Brooks….
Maybe they don’t trust the rookie yet??
Ingold as a FB could get some GL touches. He was 5 of 6 on "and 1" plays last year, but only 1 rushing TD. They could use both Ingold and Brooks at the same time. TBD. Brooks was activated last week for ST and in case of injuries. Mostert was 4 of 5 and Wilson 7 of 8 on "and 1" plays last year. I think Brooks gets carries in 2023 only if there are injuries.

I'd rather roster the following players over Chris Brooks: Elijah Dotson, DeWayne McBride, Jordon Mason, Tyrion Davis-Price, Isiah Spiller (...and that is saying something), and Emanuel Wilson.

Brooks had a great preseason, lots of missed tackles, a 3 -down older back age 23, but not sure if he gets a chance in 2023.

I'd rather roster the following players over Chris Brooks: Elijah Dotson, DeWayne McBride, Jordon Mason, Tyrion Davis-Price, Isiah Spiller (...and that is saying something), and Emanuel Wilson.
Agree. Brooks would need Mostert to miss time and Wilson to miss more than 4 weeks. And Achane will get a chance soon.

I claimed him in one dynasty league just before week 1 for $22/1K. A common league-mate bid $100 more in the other league than my $25 bid - the calendars didn’t line up, so one set of waivers runs at 5 AM PT, the other at like noon PT.

Really kills any sleepers you have if you have a situation like that.

Anyway, I like the kid, and MIA backfield is murky at best. I’m still wondering if they don’t trade for JT, but if not I could definitely see Brooks getting some run later in the year.

I like him as a deep stash with big benches but I am about to drop him to move up flowers from my taxi. Will keep an eye and if mosthurt gets hurt again I will make a bid.

no one is talking about brooks but i think this guy could be the pickup here
Dark horse for sure. Probably going off at 90 to 1 at Keeneland. I wouldn't bid too much on him, but I understand getting him for free and stash at the end of your bench.
He looked great in the preseason in all 3 phases. Had some good runs in the DEN blowout. On limited plays (~11?) last week, he showed good run blocking. But Jeff Wilson is the proven commodity, I'd say Brooks is a 10 to 1 at Gulfstream, still unlikely to play a big role unless either Wilson or Mostert get hurt.

Must add if you got Mostert IMO. Picked him up for free in all leagues other than the one I have Mostert where I wasn't going to risk not getting him. Mike McD seems to be quite the running game savant so if he gets a chance methinks he can be startable.

Must add if you got Mostert IMO. Picked him up for free in all leagues other than the one I have Mostert where I wasn't going to risk not getting him. Mike McD seems to be quite the running game savant so if he gets a chance methinks he can be startable.
agree - he is younger than Mostert and JWJ and we all know both of their injury history! very sneaky pick in my mind.

Are we thinking jeff wilson even plays this week or does Brooks become the #2 against bad carolina rush defense.. they have like 5 rbs there. So hard to figure out lol

No one has mentioned Ahmed who they keep keeping around, have and obviously like. He just had some bad timing on an injury a few weeks ago but I believe should be back this week. Occams Razor … the guy who has received some snaps and carries for a couple of seasons is the one who gets snaps and carries when others are injured.

Brooks worth a stash for sure though

Who would you rather stash on your bench?

Ronnie Rivers
Jordan Mason
Chris Brooks

All good offenses its just about opportunity...

Ronnie Rivers
Jordan Mason
Chris Brooks

I'd add D. Foreman to that list.

I own R. Mostert, Kyren Williams, and K. Herbert.

Grappling with which of Rivers, Brooks, D. Foreman I should keep. Can only fit one.

Ronnie Rivers
Jordan Mason
Chris Brooks

Preferably none lol. Save some FAAB and acquire unless there really isn't anything out there. I'd probably stash Rivers as it seems straight-forward.

Ronnie Rivers
Jordan Mason
Chris Brooks

Preferably none lol. Save some FAAB and acquire unless there really isn't anything out there. I'd probably stash Rivers as it seems straight-forward.
I have rivers and mason already in a Deep league. trying to decide if Brooks is worth picking up for free

Ronnie Rivers
Jordan Mason
Chris Brooks

I have rivers and mason already in a Deep league. trying to decide if Brooks is worth picking up for free
evans and brooks are Waldman favorites…Rovers is a JAG

Ronnie Rivers
Jordan Mason
Chris Brooks

evans and brooks are Waldman favorites…

Ronnie Rivers
Jordan Mason
Chris Brooks

evans and brooks are Waldman favorites…
So take it with a grain of salt?

Waldman with some kind words on him in “Gut Check” article. Nice to have a piece of this run game as you never know who will be left standing any given week.

Him or Ahmed?

Trying to get both to hood through the games
Who knows. I went Brooks just because he's younger, presumably healthier, and McD drafted him.

But Ahmed as always been good in his opportunities, and had the back-up role until Achane was healthy. Brooks only got carries in the 70 point game, and has otherwise just been a fantastic lead blocker. Maybe even for Ahmed in mop up duty this week.

I have no idea. I'd love to roster both, but it seems like a coin flip to me.

SoBeDad analysis.

Athletic and good speed 4.58, for a 230 pound RB. Good blocker, good receiver dangerous in space. Breaks tackles, but runs too upright. Vision between the tackles only average at best. I think Mostert is the best GL back active. He's no Achane and I think a healthy Jeff Wilson is a little better. Usage on Sunday TBD.

Users who are viewing this thread