What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lache Seastrunk - RB - Baylor (1 Viewer)

He's the Da'Rick Rogers of RBs -- mega talent, but doesn't have the work ethic and isn't coachable.

Put a fork in his career. This one's over, sadly. Shame on me twice for getting this guy on my dynasty roster. Punt.
For those claiming the Redskins and Panthers moves are such a mystery to them. I think this is the answer right there.

There's gotta be something going on here with him. Just doesn't make sense.
Maybe that he's not very good and people should stop thinking that if they watch a few highlights on YouTube, they can accurately judge someone's talent?
Aside from the fact that clearly a LOT of people like how he looks, he was widely considered by many scouts heading into last year as the top RB in the class and a 2nd round pick. This isn't by people who just watch Youtube but this was reported everywhere. His fall was very surprising to many. And even if he's not as good as people think, there are most definitely far worse RBs that somehow maintain backup jobs and he can't even make it on a practice squad.

There is most definitely something else going on.
Indeed - Seastrunk went top 3 in every devy draft I was in last year (3). Lee/Watkins, then Seastrunk. Solid, competitive leagues, with respected FBG's / staff.

I'd wager there isn't a poster in this thread that would have let Seastrunk slide were they holding a devy pick in one of those leagues. And high (top 3) devy picks are considered very valuable. So people are invested in him. Hence him getting much more buzz than a typical sixth round flop.

In 5 or 6 years of playing in devy leagues, I don't recall seeing something quite like this - someone rated so high a year ago fail to even hold onto practice squads in year 1. Even Jonathan Dwyer and Ryan Williams hung around longer.

Plus, guys with severe character concerns were typically reported as such. There's been no reasons given with him. Just cut. Not because of lack of skills. Not because of clashes. Nothing written about it. At this point, it's only speculation.

Truly very odd because the hype is completely out of sync with what teams are deciding when they see him.

Even Da'Rick Rodgers is sticking on a team based PURELY on talent and upside despite the concerns. How can this guy not remain on at least a PS for a team that has issues?

Arizona, San Diego, a few other teams...can't justify at least a PS?

Note that in this video he states that when he was a kid he was considered special needs. I'm wondering if he has a learning disorder, something the NFL does not cope well with at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hbgUsMRX2o

I've also never seen anything like this at RB. Perhaps it truely was scheme at Baylor. The odds are extremely low right now but Joique Bell bounced around quite a bit and after a few cuts I thought he was done. We'll see if this is the end or not. If he gets another shot he'll still be on my radar.

While I was hopeful Seatrunk might get a shot in Carolina, I am not ready to completely write him off yet. It seems possible that the move by the Panthers to release Seastrunk in favor of Poole had more to do with the Panthers' injury situation and need for someone who was further along in his development. Seastrunk is still a project by most reports, and Carolina may not have the luxury of developing a RB at this time.

In the right situation, and given time and good coaching to develop, I still believe Seatrunk could have a future, but that window of opportunity undoubtedly just got smaller.

gianmarco said:
bigmarc27 said:
gianmarco said:
Maybe that he's not very good and people should stop thinking that if they watch a few highlights on YouTube, they can accurately judge someone's talent?
Aside from the fact that clearly a LOT of people like how he looks, he was widely considered by many scouts heading into last year as the top RB in the class and a 2nd round pick. This isn't by people who just watch Youtube but this was reported everywhere. His fall was very surprising to many. And even if he's not as good as people think, there are most definitely far worse RBs that somehow maintain backup jobs and he can't even make it on a practice squad.

What scouts? Real NFL scouts or the website "scouts"? Because the ones who get paid by NFL teams apparently don't think too much of him since he went late in the draft and then went unsigned after getting released. As I said earlier he doesn't fit the style Carolina runs. Maybe another team that uses outside zone/stretch could use him.

socrates said:
While I was hopeful Seatrunk might get a shot in Carolina, I am not ready to completely write him off yet. It seems possible that the move by the Panthers to release Seastrunk in favor of Poole had more to do with the Panthers' injury situation and need for someone who was further along in his development. Seastrunk is still a project by most reports, and Carolina may not have the luxury of developing a RB at this time.

In the right situation, and given time and good coaching to develop, I still believe Seatrunk could have a future, but that window of opportunity undoubtedly just got smaller.
Poole had an advantage in that he'd been with Carolina before. He quite possibly had a better grasp of their playbook and schemes.

gianmarco said:
bigmarc27 said:
gianmarco said:

What scouts? Real NFL scouts or the website "scouts"? Because the ones who get paid by NFL teams apparently don't think too much of him since he went late in the draft and then went unsigned after getting released. As I said earlier he doesn't fit the style Carolina runs. Maybe another team that uses outside zone/stretch could use him.
The short-term memory is fascinating. Do you think people are making up that many were discussing him as a top prospect at RB a year ago? It doesn't take much to look it up and find out.

Here it talks about Kiper's Big Board -- Kiper had him at #34 overall.

The way Seastrunk played in those last six contests vaulted him into ESPN NFL Draft analyst’s 2014 Big Board at No. 34, the highest-ranked player from the Big 12 and the second-highest ranked running back, second only behind Oregon speedster De’Anthony Thomas (No. 28).
And here was Todd McShay's Big Board where he had him at #40 OVERALL--

1. Clowney DE S. Carol 17. Ekpre-Olomu CB Oregon

2. Bridgewater QB Louis 18. Tuitt DT NDame

3. Kouandjio OT Ala 19. Purifoy CB Flo

4. Lee WR USC 20. Attaochu OLB GTech

5. Barr OLB UCLA 21. Watkins WR Clemson

6. Matthews OT Ta&m 22. Johnson DT LSU

7. Nix NT NDame 23. McCullers DT Tenn

8. Boyd QB Clemson 24. Clinton-Dix S Ala

9. Manziel QB Ta&m 25. Verrett CB TCU

10. Hubbard OLB Ala 26. Yankey OG Stan

11, Roby CB OhioSt 27. Van Noy OLB BYU

12. Mosley LB Ala 28. Lynch DT S. Flor

13. Lewan OT Mich 29. Carey RB Ariz

14. Jernigan DT FlorSt. 30. Evans WR Ta&m

15 McCarron QB Ala 31. Shazier OLB OhioSt

16. Richardson OT Tenn 32. Thomas RB Oreg

Next 10:

1. Breslin DE USC 6. Jones OLB FlorSt.

2. Chricton DE OregSt. 7. Murphy OLB Stan

3. Coleman WR Rutgers 8. Seastrunk RB Baylor

4. Fales QB San Jose 9. Sefarian-Jenkins TE Wash

5. Johnson OLB Tenn 10. Sutton DL ArizSt.
Here's another spot written by nfldraftscout where they considered him the best RB on the board and he was compared to Vereen by Albert Breer at nfl.com

To succeed at the NFL level these days, backs must be able to contribute in the passing game. That is good news for Seastrunk, who excels in a wide-open scheme and compares favorably to New England's Shane Vereen per Albert Breer of NFL.com.

At 5'10" and 210 pounds, Seastrunk is built to last at the next level. He missed two games this year, but still ran for 982 yards and 11 touchdowns on 126 carries—giving him a superb 7.8 yards per carry.

Seastrunk may very well end up in the first round, especially if a team with the right system has a specific need.
Here's another writeup at FirstRoundGrade by a guy who has been involved in scouting college players for the NFL for 20 years who had him projected in 2nd-3rd round

On the next level, Seastrunk projects as a starting-level running back that can provide big plays and chunks of yards to an offense. He has the necessary “juice” to get through an NFL hole before it closes, and the burst to race past defenders on all levels of the field. While not the strongest runner in the class, Seastrunk has enough natural toughness to lower his shoulder and be effective enough between the tackles. In today’s wide-open NFL, Seastrunk is a prototype starting runner. While the value of the running back position in the Draft has declined, there is still a demand for “one touch” players: The game changing weapon that can score from anywhere. Seastrunk is just that.

GRADE: 7.4 (Late-2nd, Early-3rd)http://firstroundgrade.com/grading-scale/
Now, if you want to discount McShay and Kiper and all of these other guys, that's up to you. But this was not about some folks at FBG just watching some YouTube highlights and thinking he was awesome like someone pointed out above that I responded to. That was the consensus thought on him last year by pretty much everyone involved with the draft that we hear about until his fall in the draft. So, either all these folks were completely wrong, which is incredibly uncommon for so many to miss so severely, or something happened during interviews or during their draft prep that has caused his huge slide. And it's not as if the guy bombed the combine like some guys do that causes them to fall (i.e. J. Dwyer or K. Carey). This guy blew up the combine with his measureables. What's strange is we usually hear SOMETHING about why a guy might have fallen and that has never been shared anywhere as far as I know.

I just don't get this revisionist history that some are trying to suggest this guy was never thought that highly of.

Last edited by a moderator:
gianmarco said:
bigmarc27 said:
gianmarco said:

The short-term memory is fascinating. Do you think people are making up that many were discussing him as a top prospect at RB a year ago? It doesn't take much to look it up and find out.

The way Seastrunk played in those last six contests vaulted him into ESPN NFL Draft analyst’s 2014 Big Board at No. 34, the highest-ranked player from the Big 12 and the second-highest ranked running back, second only behind Oregon speedster De’Anthony Thomas (No. 28).

Next 10:

Here's another spot written by nfldraftscout where they considered him the best RB on the board and he was compared to Vereen by Albert Breer at nfl.com

To succeed at the NFL level these days, backs must be able to contribute in the passing game. That is good news for Seastrunk, who excels in a wide-open scheme and compares favorably to New England's Shane Vereen per Albert Breer of NFL.com.

At 5'10" and 210 pounds, Seastrunk is built to last at the next level. He missed two games this year, but still ran for 982 yards and 11 touchdowns on 126 carries—giving him a superb 7.8 yards per carry.

Seastrunk may very well end up in the first round, especially if a team with the right system has a specific need.
Here's another writeup at FirstRoundGrade by a guy who has been involved in scouting college players for the NFL for 20 years who had him projected in 2nd-3rd round

On the next level, Seastrunk projects as a starting-level running back that can provide big plays and chunks of yards to an offense. He has the necessary “juice” to get through an NFL hole before it closes, and the burst to race past defenders on all levels of the field. While not the strongest runner in the class, Seastrunk has enough natural toughness to lower his shoulder and be effective enough between the tackles. In today’s wide-open NFL, Seastrunk is a prototype starting runner. While the value of the running back position in the Draft has declined, there is still a demand for “one touch” players: The game changing weapon that can score from anywhere. Seastrunk is just that.

Now, if you want to discount McShay and Kiper and all of these other guys, that's up to you. But this was not about some folks at FBG just watching some YouTube highlights and thinking he was awesome like someone pointed out above that I responded to. That was the consensus thought on him last year by pretty much everyone involved with the draft that we hear about until his fall in the draft. So, either all these folks were completely wrong, which is incredibly uncommon for so many to miss so severely, or something happened during interviews or during their draft prep that has caused his huge slide. And it's not as if the guy bombed the combine like some guys do that causes them to fall (i.e. J. Dwyer or K. Carey). This guy blew up the combine with his measureables. What's strange is we usually hear SOMETHING about why a guy might have fallen and that has never been shared anywhere as far as I know.

I just don't get this revisionist history that some are trying to suggest this guy was never thought that highly of.
Like I said, not real NFL scouts. Just talking heads with websites.

Watched this kid at BU (alma mater) and he was always a boom or bust RB 100% dependent on speed. Baylor never throws to the RB so he had extremely limited receiving ability and was an atrocious blocker. Also was pretty low on overall football IQ. He also left a year too early because he heard footsteps. Was being outshined in practice by Chafin and Jefferson. Still, he was the most electric player I've seen at Baylor. There should be a place for him in the NFL at some point once he can round his game out.

I totally whiffed on this guy and it's time some others finally admit it as well. I'm not sure if it's character issues or ability either, or both. We all do this in fantasy football and isn't a big deal, but there comes a time when you just have to realize you were wrong about a player.

JohnnyU said:
I totally whiffed on this guy and it's time some others finally admit it as well. I'm not sure if it's character issues or ability either, or both. We all do this in fantasy football and isn't a big deal, but there comes a time when you just have to realize you were wrong about a player.
I'm right here -- took him late in the 2nd of a 16-team start 2 RB league where RBs are gold... looking at some of the guys that went after him in that league, I regret the move (as it obviously didn't pan out), but I have had others from the league tell me he would have gone in the next few picks (e.g. they wanted him).

Dropped him when cut and not added to PS... then added again when Carolina picked him up. At this point I'm rather jaded toward him ever getting a shot.

Obviously the guys on here saying he's just not that good have more evidence in their favor right now... and perhaps he just isn't that good. Or perhaps there's something else at play beyond just pure talent? Either outcome makes it an uphill climb for fantasy value.

JohnnyU said:
I'm right here -- took him late in the 2nd of a 16-team start 2 RB league where RBs are gold... looking at some of the guys that went after him in that league, I regret the move (as it obviously didn't pan out), but I have had others from the league tell me he would have gone in the next few picks (e.g. they wanted him).

Dropped him when cut and not added to PS... then added again when Carolina picked him up. At this point I'm rather jaded toward him ever getting a shot.

Obviously the guys on here saying he's just not that good have more evidence in their favor right now... and perhaps he just isn't that good. Or perhaps there's something else at play beyond just pure talent? Either outcome makes it an uphill climb for fantasy value.
I don't believe it's talent. If he ends up in Canada I think he's the CFL MVP.

Here's the guy who led the CFL in rushing last year.

Former Baylor RB Brandon Whitaker is this year's leader.

3C said:

Next 10:

You're ignoring the entire devy league thing, which is probably the only reason he gets a big "still on page one" thread here. Otherwise, he's Storm Johnson.

In a devy league (which quite a few of us play), you have to be on these guys a year or two out from their draft eligibility. But unless you are a hardcore college football fan, it's almost impossible. Take NFL FF, and times it by 50.

So you have to rely on guys like McShay and Kiper to help sort through it all. And from my years of playing devy leagues, they are pretty decent at getting the top right, and a consensus forms a year or two before they get drafted.

For most of us, Seastrunk was a shocking, almost unprecedented fall.

You're essentially dismissing the FF angle on a FF board.

I was one of the biggest Seastrunk supporters in the SP. I still think he's got some of the best running talent in this class, but it's clear that you can't just hang your hat on that in the NFL. There's obviously something we don't know about him that is keeping him from an NFL roster... I'd love to know but we may never get that info.

:kicksrock:

I am a fan but never drafted him early because I have a semi-formulaic approach about a player and his draft position scared me off a lot. I have picked him up in most my zealots leagues after week one. I still consider someone that athletic a great lottery ticket even if things arn't breaking right for him right now. I may be stubborn but all it will take is one team to give him a chance and a few touches for people to be asking why he is bouncing around. I know a lot of people didn't like David Wilson for more than just the injuries but I think that was a great comp and he is a guy who in one carry could change the game. Really surprised by the outcome but in a deep league I would still rather hold onto the athlete than the plodder.

You're ignoring the entire devy league thing, which is probably the only reason he gets a big "still on page one" thread here. Otherwise, he's Storm Johnson.

In a devy league (which quite a few of us play), you have to be on these guys a year or two out from their draft eligibility. But unless you are a hardcore college football fan, it's almost impossible. Take NFL FF, and times it by 50.

So you have to rely on guys like McShay and Kiper to help sort through it all. And from my years of playing devy leagues, they are pretty decent at getting the top right, and a consensus forms a year or two before they get drafted.

For most of us, Seastrunk was a shocking, almost unprecedented fall.

You're essentially dismissing the FF angle on a FF board.
I'm talking ability to make an NFL squad. If he can't make an NFL squad he's useless to you. And I've said several times he will likely get another shot somewhere. He has talent but he's a bit 1 dimensional. His first 2 stops were not to his advantage. Washington had a logjam and he wasn't good enough to beat several incumbent players and a rookie who is more NFL ready. Carolina is a bad fit both in scheme and their injury situation. They need someone now but he's not ready.

Next 10:

Is this supposed to mean that generally speaking NFL scouts are the best in the world at their job? I'm not sure that's true; every year there are guys that go late and/or undrafted that "talking heads with websites" were much higher on than "real NFL scouts". In general, I think this board puts too much emphasis on the position a guy holds rather than whether or not he is qualified for the position. It's pretty obvious that many NFL scout/GMs are clueless.

Is this supposed to mean that generally speaking NFL scouts are the best in the world at their job? I'm not sure that's true; every year there are guys that go late and/or undrafted that "talking heads with websites" were much higher on than "real NFL scouts". In general, I think this board puts too much emphasis on the position a guy holds rather than whether or not he is qualified for the position. It's pretty obvious that many NFL scout/GMs are clueless.
:lmao:

fatness said:
All this talk about Seastrunk, and none about Silas Redd (the rookie who beat him out).
Looks like a clone of Morris. I would expect him to do alright if he got the chance, but he's not particularly exciting.

It could be his blocking, receiving, inability to pick up the playbook, character, or something else, but I have a hard time believing it's his running.

I thought he ran well in the preseason.. but that was in the 4th quarter. I hear he lacks in blocking and catching, that's why the skins got rid of him.. assuming that's why the panthers did also. not sure there is much to see here

:lmao:
I remember posting something like this once and getting laughed at. In reality, he is 100% correct. All you have to do is look around where you work. How many complete idiots do you see that have no idea how to do their job yet continue to do so. It's been like that everywhere I have worked in my life. Pretty much proves maxwellidson is spot on.

I thought he ran well in the preseason.. but that was in the 4th quarter. I hear he lacks in blocking and catching, that's why the skins got rid of him.. assuming that's why the panthers did also. not sure there is much to see here
panthers cut him in favor of taurean poole, who was with the team before. with the injuries to stewart, williams, and tolbert it became critical for them to have someone who knew the schemes. seastrunk was with them about a week. it wasn't going to work and he was let go in favor of experience. that much is understandable.

he's with TN now, i guess. sankey getting more touches is good because it might mean shonn and dexter are ineffective. he could get a chance but he has to stick there first.

Let's fan some embers on this one.

I think Seastrunk has landed in a good spot and might be ready to make his way into the NFL.

We get so impatient in fantasy. We talked this guy up for a couple of years, bumped him high in Devy leagues, had all kinds of things to say about him. Then he tumbled and was cut and all that and somehow that equates into "he's done".

I'm not so sure about that. I think this is a guy that can go the Arian Foster route. Lots of talent when you watch him but "something" doesn't strike with the NFL geniuses and then we pile on in speculation. Before you know it he's an afterthought. But then, as the season winds down, he is there on a PS for a bad team with little ahead of him and the team says "ok, let's give this guy some run. We're out of it and might as well see if we want to keep him around." And then the guy shows enough to stick.

I don't know if he will ever be anything but I bet he gets called up late in the season and we get a chance to see and if he is anything at all he should at least push Shonn Greene out the door. I can think of worse lottery tickets in dynasty. Who knows? You might just end up with an Ahmad Bradshaw. There are plenty of guys in the NFL that are fantasy worthy that got bounced around before ever settling in.

He's sitting there on the wire in my 16-team start 2B dynasty... I can't help but keep an eye on him, but I'm not making a move without some positve sign.

I was as big of a supporter as any, but I don't have a league where the roster size is big enough to be carrying him mid-season. I may cut some fat in the offseason and pick him up as an upside guy and see if he puts in the work to make happen during the summer. However, right now, I just can't find the space for a lotto ticket.

i mentioned him as a decent buy low dynasty stash in a thread earlier. he can wait on their PS until the offseason and hopefully he gets a chance to compete. sankey hasn't impressed and greene is done. so he could develop those necessary skills like blocking and catching and only have sankey to beat. lots of teams have the 1-2 RB. he could be valuable come next season.

Not that it matters but I did get some inside on this guy. Seems to be an arrogant individual who's very vocal when he's not starting over other running backs. The talent is there but unfortunately so is the attitude.

I said I would share once I got the scoop so take it for what it is.

Tex

Users who are viewing this thread