What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Khiry Robinson (2 Viewers)

Time Kibitzer said:
I am not saying that if Robinson gets the opportunity that he will be bad just that it is unlikely he will get a major opportunity with the Saints. If someone gets hurt I would bet that Payton brings in another RB to keep his platoon going, sure Robinson may move up a spot but the reality is that Sproles is really the only RB on the roster that anyone can start with even a shred of confidence. The NO RB situation is about trying to predict which RB may have a big game on a particular week, an injury may or may not increase the chances of any one of the backs to improve. And let's not forget that, for this year, Ingram is still on the roster.

ETA: And I don't see this situation changing as long as Payton is head coach. Khiry may be the next Sproles but that is a long shot at best, he is more likely the next PT and unless you give him a full time opportunity he, like many other back up RBs, is just a roll of the dice (or, more accurately because of the reduced odds compared to dice, a lottery ticket).
I agree that it's unlikely that Sproles role would dissipate much barring injury, but I don't see Pierre Thomas or Mark Ingram's presence as that big of an obstacle, hypothetically. Say Pierre Thomas gets injured and misses 1-2 games, which isn't that big of an if, I don't see anything stopping Khiry from getting a chance and running away with the main rushing duties even when Thomas returned. Thomas hasn't ran for over 600 yards in a season in 3 years, and Ingram's been terrible throughout his NFL career so far. And even if no one gets injured, Ingram/Thomas/Sproles are all pretty incompetent goal line backs, so I'd be surprised if Khiry doesn't get a shot at goal line carries sometime this season no matter what.
Robinson might be good enough if given the chance but how many times have we heard this story with Payton? Someone goes down and another body steps in to take his place and every back on the roster, not named Sproles, can hope for 12 touches on a good week.

If PT gets hurt this year Ingram will be back in the rotation. When Sproles, PT and Ingram leave two or three other backs will be brought in to platoon. Let's face it, Payton is the very definition of a RBBC coach.
Once? Besides Chris Ivory I can't think of anyone. And I think your attribution to the Saints being a RBBC team being due to Payton's philosophy may be an example of the fundamental attribution error. What RB that the Saints have had has been deserving of being a workhorse back? None of Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas, Darren Sproles, Mark Ingram have been successful and healthy enough runners to deserve a full load.
Really. It has happened with virtually every RB to play in NO under Payton. They all have supporters who posit "What if player X were the undisputed #1 in NO?" or "Why don't they give player X a chance to be a true #1 RB?"

Bush, Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory, Mark Ingram & Mike Bell all had band wagons the size of Robinson. Some people were even hoping guys like Lynell Hamilton & Aaron Stecker (Ladell Betts?) would get a chance.

Sure you can argue that those guys may have gotten a chance but for circumstance X, Y or Z or that Khiry Robinson is more talented than any of those guys (and you may be right) but right now he is an undrafted free agent out of a small directional school and he plays for a coach whos history does not bode well for any one guy to truly take the reins.

BTW I am on board with those wanting to see what a true #1 back could do in that offense I just am skeptical that it will happen.
These points all make sense and if you look from a historical account, the outlook doesn't seem so good for Robinson. However, there is a part of me and a lot of others here that are thinking maybe this will be the one time it happens. I'm not content to say Peyton's style will never change so why bother. What if he gets a chance and lights it up over and over again? How can Peyton bench him if that happens?

If you have an open roster spot, you have to pick this guy up and hope for the best. But I agree we shouldn't get too excited that it's definitely going to happen. Even if he takes the same route Ivory did, I'd be happy. Guys were getting first rounders for him in the preseason from all the hype if they traded him. I'll take a free future first rounder. Value is value.

Still not seeing the "anti" side here. If he scores more points moving forward than the Felix Jones / Chris Polk types I cut to pick him up then I'm good with him. No one reasonable is expecting him to be more than a decent part of a RBBC.

Time Kibitzer said:
I am not saying that if Robinson gets the opportunity that he will be bad just that it is unlikely he will get a major opportunity with the Saints. If someone gets hurt I would bet that Payton brings in another RB to keep his platoon going, sure Robinson may move up a spot but the reality is that Sproles is really the only RB on the roster that anyone can start with even a shred of confidence. The NO RB situation is about trying to predict which RB may have a big game on a particular week, an injury may or may not increase the chances of any one of the backs to improve. And let's not forget that, for this year, Ingram is still on the roster.

ETA: And I don't see this situation changing as long as Payton is head coach. Khiry may be the next Sproles but that is a long shot at best, he is more likely the next PT and unless you give him a full time opportunity he, like many other back up RBs, is just a roll of the dice (or, more accurately because of the reduced odds compared to dice, a lottery ticket).
I agree that it's unlikely that Sproles role would dissipate much barring injury, but I don't see Pierre Thomas or Mark Ingram's presence as that big of an obstacle, hypothetically. Say Pierre Thomas gets injured and misses 1-2 games, which isn't that big of an if, I don't see anything stopping Khiry from getting a chance and running away with the main rushing duties even when Thomas returned. Thomas hasn't ran for over 600 yards in a season in 3 years, and Ingram's been terrible throughout his NFL career so far. And even if no one gets injured, Ingram/Thomas/Sproles are all pretty incompetent goal line backs, so I'd be surprised if Khiry doesn't get a shot at goal line carries sometime this season no matter what.
Robinson might be good enough if given the chance but how many times have we heard this story with Payton? Someone goes down and another body steps in to take his place and every back on the roster, not named Sproles, can hope for 12 touches on a good week.

If PT gets hurt this year Ingram will be back in the rotation. When Sproles, PT and Ingram leave two or three other backs will be brought in to platoon. Let's face it, Payton is the very definition of a RBBC coach.
Once? Besides Chris Ivory I can't think of anyone. And I think your attribution to the Saints being a RBBC team being due to Payton's philosophy may be an example of the fundamental attribution error. What RB that the Saints have had has been deserving of being a workhorse back? None of Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas, Darren Sproles, Mark Ingram have been successful and healthy enough runners to deserve a full load.
Really. It has happened with virtually every RB to play in NO under Payton. They all have supporters who posit "What if player X were the undisputed #1 in NO?" or "Why don't they give player X a chance to be a true #1 RB?"

Bush, Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory, Mark Ingram & Mike Bell all had band wagons the size of Robinson. Some people were even hoping guys like Lynell Hamilton & Aaron Stecker (Ladell Betts?) would get a chance.

Sure you can argue that those guys may have gotten a chance but for circumstance X, Y or Z or that Khiry Robinson is more talented than any of those guys (and you may be right) but right now he is an undrafted free agent out of a small directional school and he plays for a coach whos history does not bode well for any one guy to truly take the reins.

BTW I am on board with those wanting to see what a true #1 back could do in that offense I just am skeptical that it will happen.
So which of those RBs are you personally saying has been deserving of receiving workhorse amounts of carries? I think you're failing to consider the very real possibility that simply none of those RBs are/were any good to begin with. The only RBs of those you listed who have actually had success running the ball in that offense (Ivory and Thomas) have proven to be rather injury prone and have gotten injured when given bulks of carries.

As for the bolded, it's not like people are advocating you drop your 1st round pick RB for the guy, the thread is simply a notice for redrafters that he's someone to keep an eye on, and that he's a guy to pickup in dynasty leagues if you have an empty spot on your roster.

Last edited by a moderator:

So which of those RBs are you personally saying has been deserving of receiving workhorse amounts of carries? I think you're failing to consider the very real possibility that simply none of those RBs are/were any good to begin with. The only RBs of those you listed who have actually had success running the ball in that offense (Ivory and Thomas) have proven to be rather injury prone and have gotten injured when given bulks of carries.

As for the bolded, it's not like people are advocating you drop your 1st round pick RB for the guy, the thread is simply a notice for redrafters that he's someone to keep an eye on, and that he's a guy to pickup in dynasty leagues if you have an empty spot on your roster.
I am not saying to not roster the guy, particularly in dynasty formats, just that an awareness of the history of the Saints under Payton should always be a consideration when making that decision.

Maybe a few examples would be helpful in this thread to give people a frame of reference:

I am a redraft guy and I fully admit that even at that there aren't many guys available in my league that I would take over Robinson. But in my case specifically Andre Ellington, Legarrette Blount & Rashad Jennings all seem like better prospects for this season. And from a dynasty perspective I think there is an argument for both Ellington (who is small but played at a high level for a major NCAA program) and Blount (he's only 26 and has proven he can play at a high level in the NFL) over Robinson.

As for the bolded, it's not like people are advocating you drop your 1st round pick RB for the guy, the thread is simply a notice for redrafters that he's someone to keep an eye on, and that he's a guy to pickup in dynasty

leagues if you have an empty spot on your roster.
I am not saying to not roster the guy, particularly in dynasty formats, just that an awareness of the history of the Saints under Payton should always be a consideration when making that decision.Maybe a few examples would be helpful in this thread to give people a frame of reference:

I am a redraft guy and I fully admit that even at that there aren't many guys available in my league that I would take over Robinson. But in my case specifically Andre Ellington, Legarrette Blount & Rashad Jennings all seem like better prospects for this season. And from a dynasty perspective I think there is an argument for both Ellington (who is small but played at a high level for a major NCAA program) and Blount (he's only 26 and has proven he can play at a high level in the NFL) over Robinson.
Don't disagree, but you might be overestimating the available RBs on a typical dynasty waiver wire -- Ellington, Blount, and Jennings have been rostered all year in all of my leagues (granted I prefer 12x25s or deeper w/ no IDPs). We're talking about the Jackie Battle, Tommy Bohanon, Cyrus Gray types here. In that context a guy like Robinson has some appeal.

But in my case specifically Andre Ellington, Legarrette Blount & Rashad Jennings all seem like better prospects for this season.
I'm strictly a redraft guy myself and I've already laid out my case for why I like him as an end of season stash. That was obviously assuming HTH playoff format.

I like him better than Ellington and Jennings b/c I like Drew Brees better than Carson Palmer by a huge margin and as much as I love Terrelle Pryor, I can't trust him to stay healthy with that Raider OL and his style of play. And with no TP2, I want nothing to do with any Raiders this season. Remember, we're talking later season stash, here. The further you go out, the lower the odds TP2 is standing. But if I needed a starter next week, I'd go with Jennings for sure over Khiry, especially if DMC is out, barring something crazy tonight.

Blount is intriguing because his offense is just ripe for RB production. Not much arguement with someone choosing Blount instead in redraft, as he shares similar qualities. Possible G/L hammer in an uber elite offense, with decent to major upside on a PPG basis, if the pie is split between fewer mouths as the season wears. Couple pluses for Khiry though: there's no fresh Shane Vereen coming back for the stretch run and he isn't sharing pie with a guy who scored 12 rush TDs last year.

I just dropped m. Reece or him in my redraft so now I'm on board for dynasty and redraft as well. Hoping ingram's absence tonight opens the door for him to get more meaningful carries.

Chooooo chooooo. Lol

Very impressed by this kid during preseason and with the mop up carries he had last week. My eyes tell me he's much better than Ingram, but he also runs harder than Pierre too IMO. And I've seen him catch the ball well.

I don't see him over taking Pierre, but I think Ingram's now in the dust and Pierre has never been super durable. If/when he goes down this year I think Khiry could blow up in a split with Sproles. Thoughts?
Thanks for starting the thread I like him and think he is a good dynasty stash

:tebow: :wub:

12 carries, 37 yards, with an 11 yard carry in there. 3 yards a carry with that devastating 11 yarder included.

Just don't see any startable Saints RB if you are relying on them to actually RUSH the football.

Garbage time superstar
With teams like N.O, garbage time can be a very common occurrence... I just grabbed him off of waivers in my dynasty team. Sproles, and Thomas, are getting up there in age (30, 29). If they get hurt, or dynasty wise When they retire, someone needs to run and catch the ball, Mark Ingram isn't really a threat.

*edit* Drew Brees is no spring chicken either.

NO simply cannot run the football. They don't need to either.
They telegraph their runs so obviously is half the problem. They run block poorly and exacerbate that with "let's bring in all of our obvious running guys, bench anyone that can catch the ball, and run up the gut for a 3 yard loss". They bring in Sproles for passing downs, Thomas for screen downs, and Ingram/Khiry for running, and run the obvious play.

I dont know if anyone noticed but pt looked like he got hurt at the end of the game. Pt busted one but was called back. Then he didnt come back in the game after that. Might be worth a preemptive stash before thursday and fridays practice reports

12 carries, 37 yards, with an 11 yard carry in there. 3 yards a carry with that devastating 11 yarder included.

Just don't see any startable Saints RB if you are relying on them to actually RUSH the football.
He had 3 plays for negative yardage, without those he was 9 for 46.

He had 3 plays for negative yardage, without those he was 9 for 46.
He had 6 runs for 4+yards, 3 for between 0 and 3 yards, and 3 for negative yardage.

Over 1/2 of his carries came in the 4th quarter, after the lead was 3 scores. He did have 1 carry on the opening drive (during the "scripted" version of the game).

Kind of a mixed bag, it seems. Most of his runs were in pretty obvious running downs. The only possible exception was his first carry; it was on 2nd and 6. Other than that, there wasn't any "surprise" carries. He didn't look like the next Adrian Peterson, but he didn't look like the next Mark Ingram, either.

I don't think anything has changed. For him to hold any FF value for this year, he needs 1 or more injuries (or a trade) to the RBs ahead of him.

Seems like you either like this kid or you don't. If you have actually watched him play, he runs with a vengeance much like Marshawn Lynch. He just seems to have the "it" factor. By that I mean he looks natural running the ball, not forced or like he's thinking too hard about what to do. I'm not saying he is ever going to get a chance to be a featured back, but if he gets a significant role, I think he could have some fantasy relevance.

If you want to write him off because he had a sub par stat line in the first game he ever really got a chance then go ahead. But you are ignoring the fact that he never had consecutive carries to establish a rhythm. And the fact that most of his runs were on plays where Miami absolutely knew he was running. And the fact that Miami has a very good run defense.

I can understand those who oppose rostering him because of Sean Peyton's history with RB's or because he hasn't done anything spectacular yet. But I think you are being short sighted if that is your reasoning. The fact the Saints not only kept him on the roster, but are already giving him the ball at meaningful times in the game tells me they like him and trust him. I'm hanging on to him with the hopes that he gets worked in more as the season goes.

Seems like you either like this kid or you don't. If you have actually watched him play, he runs with a vengeance much like Marshawn Lynch. He just seems to have the "it" factor. By that I mean he looks natural running the ball, not forced or like he's thinking too hard about what to do. I'm not saying he is ever going to get a chance to be a featured back, but if he gets a significant role, I think he could have some fantasy relevance.

If you want to write him off because he had a sub par stat line in the first game he ever really got a chance then go ahead. But you are ignoring the fact that he never had consecutive carries to establish a rhythm. And the fact that most of his runs were on plays where Miami absolutely knew he was running. And the fact that Miami has a very good run defense.

I can understand those who oppose rostering him because of Sean Peyton's history with RB's or because he hasn't done anything spectacular yet. But I think you are being short sighted if that is your reasoning. The fact the Saints not only kept him on the roster, but are already giving him the ball at meaningful times in the game tells me they like him and trust him. I'm hanging on to him with the hopes that he gets worked in more as the season goes.
I am not writing him off at all. However I think it is important to note that the bolded has been the status quo for RBs in Sean Payton's offense forever.

Ignoring Payton's history could also be viewed as short sighted. I like him for the same reason I still buy the occasional lottery ticket "This could be the one" but I don't really hold out hope that it will be the one.

I am not writing him off at all. However I think it is important to note that the bolded has been the status quo for RBs in Sean Payton's offense forever.Ignoring Payton's history could also be viewed as short sighted. I like him for the same reason I still buy the occasional lottery ticket "This could be the one" but I don't really hold out hope that it will be the one.
I Completely agree with Chaka.

He also had a -7 yarder (roughly) when he was swallowed up in the backfield.

I am not writing him off at all. However I think it is important to note that the bolded has been the status quo for RBs in Sean Payton's offense forever.

Ignoring Payton's history could also be viewed as short sighted. I like him for the same reason I still buy the occasional lottery ticket "This could be the one" but I don't really hold out hope that it will be the one.
This. Exactly this.

The usage looked exactly like Ingram to me. "So what? Khiry is taking on the Ingram role." Well that's great and all, but I posted some tweets from PFF's Mike Clay in the Ingram thread, and despite all the hate for Ingram, I still believe the ability is there - it's a terrible fit for this offense, however.

Same thing happened with Khiry last night... "Hey Dolphins! See this extra tackle we've lined up at TE? He's a receiving threat - guaranteed! We're throwing it. No, really. We're throwing it."

Now I'm not hating on Robinson - I'd like to own him in my dynasty and will pounce if his owner cuts him after this, but the truth is that unless his receiving ability enables him to take on Thomas' role in the offense, it's a very similar situation to Ingram. Ingram haters will say it's the player, not the system or play calling. Guess we're about to find out...

You can't remove any runs, good or bad, from a players stat line.
Who said to remove anything?

Pointing out that his stats INCLUDE that play. Just like they include his "devastating 11 yard carry". Nice try though. Thanks for playing.

I don't think anyone is saying that, just because I buy a lottery ticket and hope it is the one doesn't mean I quit my job before the numbers are drawn. He is in a good offense with aging backs, Darren Sproles has been a top 20 back the last few years, Pierre Thomas has had points in his career where he was a good flex play.

I don't think he will be anything this year fantasy wise, but next year if Thomas is let go or this kid takes the role Ingram was supposed to take when he was drafted he will be a nice piece to have on your roster.

You can't remove any runs, good or bad, from a players stat line.
Who said to remove anything?

Pointing out that his stats INCLUDE that play. Just like they include his "devastating 11 yard carry". Nice try though. Thanks for playing.
I am not sure what you are suggesting that I am trying to do or what I game you are suggesting I might be playing.

The best/worst run examples as points for debate are not really helpful, that's all. The rate at which they happen may be better points to focus on (Bayhawks mentioned that Robinson had 6 runs for >4 yards and 6 for <3 yards) but even that is incomplete information at best. The fact is that at the end of the day negative runs will continue to happen as will positive runs so there is little point trying to juke the stats by focusing on just one run (in this case out of a set of 12).

I don't think anyone is saying that, just because I buy a lottery ticket and hope it is the one doesn't mean I quit my job before the numbers are drawn. He is in a good offense with aging backs, Darren Sproles has been a top 20 back the last few years, Pierre Thomas has had points in his career where he was a good flex play.

I don't think he will be anything this year fantasy wise, but next year if Thomas is let go or this kid takes the role Ingram was supposed to take when he was drafted he will be a nice piece to have on your roster.
I pretty much agree. Although even when healthy I imagine Pierre Thomas has hurt fantasy owners more often than helped them when trying to use him as a flex play.

Seems like you either like this kid or you don't.
I can honestly say with 100% ambivalence that I don't care.
And yet here you are, in a thread talking about him.
I don't think one is required to either like or dislike a player to post in a thread about that player.

I have no personal feeling towards him (sincerely I don't, in guess I hope for him to be successful because I don't like rooting for players to fail) but I am in here reading opinions about a little known player because it may, or may not, offer me an advantage down the road. I am posting my thoughts because I want to understand the arguments against my position and see if my logic is sound or if I should reconsider my opinion. But right now I have absolutely no stake in Robinson or feelings of like or dislike towards him.

To be relevant he'll have to catch the ball. PT dropped one, Sproles fumbled, Ingram is Ingram. He's simply a stash, but he looked good on his runs

Opps were limited, as expected last night. The run blocking was pretty bad overall. I was disappointed to not see him at the goal line. All that said, I thought he looked good when he actually got blocking in front of him.

Also, I noticed PT land hard on his elbow/arm/shoulder just before the end of the game, as another poster already pointed out. Didn't hear them say he was hurt, but he landed hard and his body language was weird. Might be something to keep an eye on. If both PT and Ingram are out next week, it will be even more interesting for Khiry. Though I wouldn't be shocked to see Cadet get PT's share either, so there's that. Let's see what happens.

Opps were limited, as expected last night. The run blocking was pretty bad overall. I was disappointed to not see him at the goal line. All that said, I thought he looked good when he actually got blocking in front of him.

Also, I noticed PT land hard on his elbow/arm/shoulder just before the end of the game, as another poster already pointed out. Didn't hear them say he was hurt, but he landed hard and his body language was weird. Might be something to keep an eye on. If both PT and Ingram are out next week, it will be even more interesting for Khiry. Though I wouldn't be shocked to see Cadet get PT's share either, so there's that. Let's see what happens.
Has Cadet taken a snap yet? He's been on ST duty as near as I can tell.

I thought Khiry looked good running the ball. When given even decent blocking he was able to get positive yards every time. On the -7 yard run the offensive line instantly allowed the Miami defenders in the backfield getting to Khiry shortly after getting the ball from the QB, Khiry had no chance of making positive yards on that play with Miami defenders on him instantly.

7-53 and a touchdown....not bad. Didn't see the game. Anyone who saw it have analysis/commentary?

Ingram practiced this week. was he not active? Did Robinson look as good as his stat line?

Khiry ran hard. He's good, but you'll never be able to predict when he gets touches. Ingram nowhere to be seen.

7-53 and a touchdown....not bad. Didn't see the game. Anyone who saw it have analysis/commentary?

Ingram practiced this week. was he not active? Did Robinson look as good as his stat line?
Robinson looks great. He runs hard, but smart. Ivory without the injuries.

I still like the kid, but he is no more then a stash for this year in dynasty. It would take at least 1 injury for him to be relevant this year. He should stay on the waivers in redraft.

Users who are viewing this thread