What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Khiry Robinson (3 Viewers)

Not sure about all the excitement for any RB in a Sean Payton offense.

But for one year with Tiki (2002) and his first year in New Orleans with Deuce (2006) he produces RBs who put up 5-7 TDs and maybe 1000 total yards. Unless the RB can be special in the passing and return game, like Sproles and Reggie, where they can pad their stats with individual effort, I don't see anything to get excited about for a Sean Payton RB.

Like what I've seen so far. Has a nice burst and rolls off initial contact.

Watch his highlights from the Raiders game. Looks like he knows what he's doing in the passing scheme. If he shows more of that, you may be looking at the guy who eventually replaces Sproles as the pass catcher out of the backfield...all while replacing Pierre Thomas as the goal line back...all in one package.

Very nice buy low dynasty stock.

As long as PT and Ingram are Saints the expectations should be tempered. Dynasty is a different story.

Edit: Ivory to Ingram

Last edited by a moderator:

But for one year with Tiki (2002) and his first year in New Orleans with Deuce (2006) he produces RBs who put up 5-7 TDs and maybe 1000 total yards. Unless the RB can be special in the passing and return game, like Sproles and Reggie, where they can pad their stats with

individual effort, I don't see anything to get excited about for a Sean Payton RB.
I agree that he's meh in most redraft formats, but there are roughly 100 RBs or more rostered in most dynasty leagues -- I'd be thrilled if he turns into anywhere near a 1000 yard / handful of TDs type guy. The only cost involved here for most of us involves the roster spot. Also, the main obstacles to playing time in NO are both nearing the age when RBs usually start to slow down.

But for one year with Tiki (2002) and his first year in New Orleans with Deuce (2006) he produces RBs who put up 5-7 TDs and maybe 1000 total yards. Unless the RB can be special in the passing and return game, like Sproles and Reggie, where they can pad their stats with individual effort, I don't see anything to get excited about for a Sean Payton RB.
You're probably right. That's why it's a cheap longshot.

We're essentially all hoping for the sort of career we all wanted to see Pierre get.

Pierre's had trouble staying healthy, and coming to the Saints with 2 1st round picks already on the roster didn't help. Then Payton had his yearly tradition of plucking a RB off the street to lead the team in carries.

Maybe some combo of Peyton liking/trusting Khiry a little more than Pierre, better health, and the Saints finally figuring out they don't need to draft 1st round RBs will help things work out differently for Khiry than it did for Pierre.

Unlikely, but maybe. It's not like Peyton's just never given a guy enough touches to be a RB1 (2 of 10 seasons is bad, but it's something).

For Khiry to hit, Peyton just needs be comfortable relying on him as part of a 2-headed monster backfield. That's not a huge stretch.

He's at least moving in the right direction. It used to be a 20 headed monster with different parts every year. Now, it's at least been a 3-headed monster with the same 3 guys for 3 straight years (unless, hopefully, Khiry nudges Ingram out this year).

But for one year with Tiki (2002) and his first year in New Orleans with Deuce (2006) he produces RBs who put up 5-7 TDs and maybe 1000 total yards. Unless the RB can be special in the passing and return game, like Sproles and Reggie, where they can pad their stats with

individual effort, I don't see anything to get excited about for a Sean Payton RB.
I agree that he's meh in most redraft formats, but there are roughly 100 RBs or more rostered in most dynasty leagues -- I'd be thrilled if he turns into anywhere near a 1000 yard / handful of TDs type guy. The only cost involved here for most of us involves the roster spot. Also, the main obstacles to playing time in NO are both nearing the age when RBs usually start to slow down.
When Sproles and PT are gone I am pretty sure Payton will bring in more platoon guys and not turn the reins over to one guy. And I see 1000 yards and a handful of TDs as being the upside of one of his backs, the downside is pretty low IMO.

You're probably right. That's why it's a cheap longshot.

We're essentially all hoping for the sort of career we all wanted to see Pierre get.

Pierre's had trouble staying healthy, and coming to the Saints with 2 1st round picks already on the roster didn't help. Then Payton had his yearly tradition of plucking a RB off the street to lead the team in carries.

Maybe some combo of Peyton liking/trusting Khiry a little more than Pierre, better health, and the Saints finally figuring out they don't need to draft 1st round RBs will help things work out differently for Khiry than it did for Pierre.

Unlikely, but maybe. It's not like Peyton's just never given a guy enough touches to be a RB1 (2 of 10 seasons is bad, but it's something).

For Khiry to hit, Peyton just needs be comfortable relying on him as part of a 2-headed monster backfield. That's not a huge stretch.

He's at least moving in the right direction. It used to be a 20 headed monster with different parts every year. Now, it's at least been a 3-headed monster with the same 3 guys for 3 straight years (unless, hopefully, Khiry nudges Ingram out this year).
I think everyone would love to see Payton turn into a lead RB type of coach. My position is that is simply not his nature and because he has been so successful I don't see that changing. Barring injury I think he will always be a RB platoon coach leaving fantasy owners in a position of figuring out which four games per season their guy will actually have a solid fantasy performance. That doesn't feel like a good situation to me as a fantasy owner, in a dynasty format or any other format.

Khiry could have major value if these two things happen:

1. Ingram is phased out - trade or not, this guy is in danger of being benched in favor of Robinson right now;

2. Sproles or Thomas gets hurt. All you need is one to go down for the pie to become plentiful. If Khiry finds himself as an effective goal line runner for the Saints and in only a two-headed committee, he will be a top 10-15 PPG RB IMO.

And these two things can happen this season. So it's not just a dynasty-stash, but a PPG playoff stash. Watch the vids and tell me this guy isn't significantly more explosive than Ingram. And in the preseason at least, I was impressed with his receiving skills. He looks like a find just from the eyeball test at least.

1. Ingram is phased out - trade or not, this guy is in danger of being benched in favor of Robinson right now;

2. Sproles or Thomas gets hurt. All you need is one to go down for the pie to become plentiful. If Khiry finds himself as an effective goal line runner for the Saints and in only a two-headed committee, he will be a top 10-15 PPG RB IMO.

And these two things can happen this season. So it's not just a dynasty-stash, but a PPG playoff stash. Watch the vids and tell me this guy isn't significantly more explosive than Ingram. And in the preseason at least, I was impressed with his receiving skills. He looks like a find just from the eyeball test at least.
This is why I think he holds redraft value in deeper leagues. If Thomas continues to see an uptick in touches an injury is sadly inevitable IMO. He's found himself on injured reserved twice in the last three years and was barely touching the ball.

It's a pretty desperate bandwagon, but at least it's not the CJ Anderson bandwagon.
That's funny b/c I'm high on Anderson too. Just not for redraft this year. He has more obstacles than Khiry including health issues that have caused him to miss the last month or so. But both look like Dynasty stashes. Talented young, hungry, full-skillset RBs on explosive offenses. I've seen those guys win titles for teams several times before when they emerged late season. It happens like clockwork. I saw it twice with the Saints in the Sean Payton era. Once with Aaron Stecker and the other with Pierre Thomas. I love the PT cruiser, but he breaks down. And if he does this year, watch out for Khiry. :ph34r:

People are looking at this the wrong way, when people in the Shark Pool make posts during the season or even the preseason about a rookie/young player that most have never heard of, it should go without saying it is more for they dynasty crowd. It usually takes a couple of injuries for player like this to be anything in redraft.

With the above said, this is a free lottery ticket and even if the offense he plays for won't allow him to be a rb1 in the future there is still value in him as a flex player, or even a handcuff. Think about Bryce Brown last year, before McCoy went down he was only on the rosters of the deeper dynasty leagues. If you picked him up off waivers though you got great production out of him for 2 weeks and now he is a great trade piece to the McCoy owner.

And if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon.

I am not saying that if Robinson gets the opportunity that he will be bad just that it is unlikely he will get a major opportunity with the Saints. If someone gets hurt I would bet that Payton brings in another RB to keep his platoon going, sure Robinson may move up a spot but the reality is that Sproles is really the only RB on the roster that anyone can start with even a shred of confidence. The NO RB situation is about trying to predict which RB may have a big game on a particular week, an injury may or may not increase the chances of any one of the backs to improve. And let's not forget that, for this year, Ingram is still on the roster.

ETA: And I don't see this situation changing as long as Payton is head coach. Khiry may be the next Sproles but that is a long shot at best, he is more likely the next PT and unless you give him a full time opportunity he, like many other back up RBs, is just a roll of the dice (or, more accurately because of the reduced odds compared to dice, a lottery ticket).

I am not saying that if Robinson gets the opportunity that he will be bad just that it is unlikely he will get a major opportunity with the Saints. If someone gets hurt I would bet that Payton brings in another RB to keep his platoon going, sure Robinson may move up a spot but the reality is that Sproles is really the only RB on the roster that anyone can start with even a shred of confidence. The NO RB situation is about trying to predict which RB may have a big game on a particular week, an injury may or may not increase the chances of any one of the backs to improve. And let's not forget that, for this year, Ingram is still on the roster.

ETA: And I don't see this situation changing as long as Payton is head coach. Khiry may be the next Sproles but that is a long shot at best, he is more likely the next PT and unless you give him a full time opportunity he, like many other back up RBs, is just a roll of the dice (or, more accurately because of the reduced odds compared to dice, a lottery ticket).
I agree that it's unlikely that Sproles role would dissipate much barring injury, but I don't see Pierre Thomas or Mark Ingram's presence as that big of an obstacle, hypothetically. Say Pierre Thomas gets injured and misses 1-2 games, which isn't that big of an if, I don't see anything stopping Khiry from getting a chance and running away with the main rushing duties even when Thomas returned. Thomas hasn't ran for over 600 yards in a season in 3 years, and Ingram's been terrible throughout his NFL career so far. And even if no one gets injured, Ingram/Thomas/Sproles are all pretty incompetent goal line backs, so I'd be surprised if Khiry doesn't get a shot at goal line carries sometime this season no matter what.

Heard the same stuff when I picked up that Alfred Morris kid when Royster, Helu and Hightower were all in the way.

This post is a real downer, but it is very difficult to argue with history.

We can look at and closely analyze all the YouTube highlights, preseason games, and NFL plays that we want, but Chaka's point is where the entire analysis should begin and end. Why should this back be any different than what Payton has done for 11 years????

Edit to add - I read the rest of the thread after posting. Good discussion.

I agree that it's unlikely that Sproles role would dissipate much barring injury, but I don't see Pierre Thomas or Mark Ingram's presence as that big of an obstacle, hypothetically. Say Pierre Thomas gets injured and misses 1-2 games, which isn't that big of an if, I don't see anything stopping Khiry from getting a chance and running away with the main rushing duties even when Thomas returned. Thomas hasn't ran for over 600 yards in a season in 3 years, and Ingram's been terrible throughout his NFL career so far. And even if no one gets injured, Ingram/Thomas/Sproles are all pretty incompetent goal line backs, so I'd be surprised if Khiry doesn't get a shot at goal line carries sometime this season no matter what.
Robinson might be good enough if given the chance but how many times have we heard this story with Payton? Someone goes down and another body steps in to take his place and every back on the roster, not named Sproles, can hope for 12 touches on a good week.

If PT gets hurt this year Ingram will be back in the rotation. When Sproles, PT and Ingram leave two or three other backs will be brought in to platoon. Let's face it, Payton is the very definition of a RBBC coach.

Heard the same stuff when I picked up that Alfred Morris kid when Royster, Helu and Hightower were all in the way.
Not even remotely the same situation and I am kind of surprised that you would even see a similarity. Shanahan has a very long history that when he finds a back he trusts he rides him almost to the exclusion of all other backs. Very rarely does he platoon back during the season. He had trouble finding a guy he trusted during the end of his run in Denver, choosing from bottom of the barrel guys like Michael Pittman, Selvin Young, Peyton Hillis, Travis Henry, Tatum Bell and Mike Bell (regardless of what anyone says about motivating Tatum Bell the only one of those guys who had a lick of talent was Henry and he was a major head case) but he has always stuck with one back when he found one he liked.

Payton has virtually the exact opposite history.

Not even remotely the same situation and I am kind of surprised that you would even see a similarity. Shanahan has a very long history that when he finds a back he trusts he rides him almost to the exclusion of all other backs. Very rarely does he platoon back during the season. He had trouble finding a guy he trusted during the end of his run in Denver, choosing from bottom of the barrel guys like Michael Pittman, Selvin Young, Peyton Hillis, Travis Henry, Tatum Bell and Mike Bell (regardless of what anyone says about motivating Tatum Bell the only one of those guys who had a lick of talent was Henry and he was a major head case) but he has always stuck with one back when he found one he liked.

Payton tried to go with a lead back in 2010 with Thomas but he was injured week 3 after having 18 and 19 carries in the first two games. The next year he spent a 1st on Ingram but that coincided with him getting Sproles.

I don't think he'd go with an every down back but I imagine he'd love to have a back he could give 15+ carries a game to without getting injured.

I think everyone is forgetting that even if he wins the starting job, he'll still be a near useless player to carry, just like every Saints RB has been for the last two decades except for Duece McAllister in 2003 and 2006 and Darren Sproles in 2011. The Saints are a passing team, even on the goal line. The best any RB will do on this team while Brees is here is 600 yards and 6 TDs. You can have them all.

I think everyone is forgetting that even if he wins the starting job, he'll still be a near useless player to carry, just like every Saints RB has been for the last two decades except for Duece McAllister in 2003 and 2006 and Darren Sproles in 2011. The Saints are a passing team, even on the goal line. The best any RB will do on this team while Brees is here is 600 yards and 6 TDs. You can have them all.
Chris Ivory was really coming on in 2010 before he was injured. If he would have added anything in the passing game he would have been putting up very solid RB2 numbers in PPR. Unlike Ivory, Robinson is a very good receiver.

Chris Ivory was really coming on in 2010 before he was injured. If he would have added anything in the passing game he would have been putting up very solid RB2 numbers in PPR. Unlike Ivory, Robinson is a very good receiver.
:goodposting: Ivory was solid when he was healthy. If Robinson was used like Ivory was when he was healthy in 2010-2012, he'd be a solid RB2 especially in a year when decent RB's are so hard to come by.

I agree with the gist of your post, but for the most part, the Saints seem to throw the ball inside the five to Graham.

I agree with the gist of your post, but for the most part, the Saints seem to throw the ball inside the five to Graham.
From 2006-2011, the Saints had the 4th most rushing attempts in the league from insider the 5, and were tied for the 4th most TDs. (I didn't count 2012, because Payton was gone last year)

From 2006-2011, the Saints had the 4th most rushing attempts in the league from insider the 5, and were tied for the 4th most TDs. (I didn't count 2012, because Payton was gone last year)
Nice. I kinda stand corrected, but want to know percentages. (But that's a minor quibble, point is taken.)

:link: please? Or is this PFF?

Robinson might be good enough if given the chance but how many times have we heard this story with Payton? Someone goes down and another body steps in to take his place and every back on the roster, not named Sproles, can hope for 12 touches on a good week.

If PT gets hurt this year Ingram will be back in the rotation. When Sproles, PT and Ingram leave two or three other backs will be brought in to platoon. Let's face it, Payton is the very definition of a RBBC coach.
Most people understand this, Robinson could still have value as a flex play. In my league we start 2 backs and 2 flexes. At the cost of a roster spot, I could may fill one of those spots next year with a back getting 10 to 15 touches a week in a high powered offense. I don't think anyone is saying this kid is the next Arian Foster, but there is nothing wrong with him being the next Joquie Bell either.

I don't have the link but that stat jibes with my perception as a Saints fan. The debacle with Ingram at the goalline a couple weeks ago was business as usual. Payton loves to take the ball out of the hands of his Hall of Fame QB inside the 5. :shrug:

I ran the data dominator. I'll see if I can format it, or at least post the numbers.

ETA-what is PFF?

Couldn't get the info from DD to format, so here are the numbers:

2006-2011 (Payton as HC in NO)

158 rush (4th most-NE, SD, Hou had 171, 161, 159)

59 rushing TD (tie for 4th-NE, SD, Hou, Minn had 78, 66, 62, 59)

Most people understand this, Robinson could still have value as a flex play. In my league we start 2 backs and 2 flexes. At the cost of a roster spot, I could may fill one of those spots next year with a back getting 10 to 15 touches a week in a high powered offense. I don't think anyone is saying this kid is the next Arian Foster, but there is nothing wrong with him being the next Joquie Bell either.
Leagues like Zealots and other NON PPR leagues have the starting requirements that you can start 3 RBs, so this having a 3rd good starting RB along with good RB depth is critical in some leagues.

There also are leagues with 53 man rosters, so this potential waiver wire, roster spot, and finding good sleepers is an important issue in some leagues.

Payton tried to go with a lead back in 2010 with Thomas but he was injured week 3 after having 18 and 19 carries in the first two games. The next year he spent a 1st on Ingram but that coincided with him getting Sproles.

I don't think he'd go with an every down back but I imagine he'd love to have a back he could give 15+ carries a game to without getting injured.
Remember Sproles and PT are no spring chickens they are getting up there in running back years (29). Ingram was drafted to be an everydown back with cadet taking sproles role. Payton would love nothing more than to find a durable work horse that could do it all. He thought Ingram could be that guy but it looks like maybe Robinson has a chance and being or at least auditioning to be that guy. I think Thomas and Sproles will be around a couple more years though.

I think the real question here is can Robinson pass protect? If so, look out.

If not, his upside is a Montee Ball-eque role of running out the clock in blow out wins/losses. Like Denver, they aren't going to endanger the franchise.

Last week's data point sorta suggests they don't trust him in pass protection, yet. Any insight as how he did there in college/preseason?

Leagues like Zealots and other NON PPR leagues have the starting requirements that you can start 3 RBs, so this having a 3rd good starting RB along with good RB depth is critical in some leagues.

There also are leagues with 53 man rosters, so this potential waiver wire, roster spot, and finding good sleepers is an important issue in some leagues.
Exactly, some people seem to think if you are going to pick up a guy off the wire and he isn't Arian Foster then forget it. There is value in a guy that puts up stats like Moreno too

Exactly, some people seem to think if you are going to pick up a guy off the wire and he isn't Arian Foster then forget it. There is value in a guy that puts up stats like Moreno too
That's nice and some people in here have a semi-realistic expectation of Robinson but I don't see too many posts saying how the hope is that he produces at the same clip as Pierre Thomas or Chris Ivory. What I see are a bunch of posts wondering if he will be the exclusive featured back in a high powered offense and what the upside of that possibility will be; even though the head coach of that offense has no history of featuring a single back.

Once? Besides Chris Ivory I can't think of anyone. And I think your attribution to the Saints being a RBBC team being due to Payton's philosophy may be an example of the fundamental attribution error. What RB that the Saints have had has been deserving of being a workhorse back? None of Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas, Darren Sproles, Mark Ingram have been successful and healthy enough runners to deserve a full load.

Time Kibitzer said:

Once? Besides Chris Ivory I can't think of anyone. And I think your attribution to the Saints being a RBBC team being due to Payton's philosophy may be an example of the fundamental attribution error. What RB that the Saints have had has been deserving of being a workhorse back? None of Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas, Darren Sproles, Mark Ingram have been successful and healthy enough runners to deserve a full load.
Really. It has happened with virtually every RB to play in NO under Payton. They all have supporters who posit "What if player X were the undisputed #1 in NO?" or "Why don't they give player X a chance to be a true #1 RB?"

Bush, Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory, Mark Ingram & Mike Bell all had band wagons the size of Robinson. Some people were even hoping guys like Lynell Hamilton & Aaron Stecker (Ladell Betts?) would get a chance.

Sure you can argue that those guys may have gotten a chance but for circumstance X, Y or Z or that Khiry Robinson is more talented than any of those guys (and you may be right) but right now he is an undrafted free agent out of a small directional school and he plays for a coach whos history does not bode well for any one guy to truly take the reins.

BTW I am on board with those wanting to see what a true #1 back could do in that offense I just am skeptical that it will happen.

Time Kibitzer said:

Really. It has happened with virtually every RB to play in NO under Payton. They all have supporters who posit "What if player X were the undisputed #1 in NO?" or "Why don't they give player X a chance to be a true #1 RB?"

Bush, Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory, Mark Ingram & Mike Bell all had band wagons the size of Robinson. Some people were even hoping guys like Lynell Hamilton & Aaron Stecker (Ladell Betts?) would get a chance.

Sure you can argue that those guys may have gotten a chance but for circumstance X, Y or Z or that Khiry Robinson is more talented than any of those guys (and you may be right) but right now he is an undrafted free agent out of a small directional school and he plays for a coach whos history does not bode well for any one guy to truly take the reins.

BTW I am on board with those wanting to see what a true #1 back could do in that offense I just am skeptical that it will happen.
I think you're getting ahead of the wagon. All I want to see for now is for him take over (fully) the Ingram role. There are TDs to be had in that role for an effective player (Ingram wasn't).

Then, if/when Sproles or Thomas goes down, you're looking at a lot more. That could be this weekend, next month or not at all this season. But give me effective goal line looks until then and he's rosterable as my RB 4 or 5 for now and a plug and play as my RB2 if either of the two ahead of him go down this season.

Either way, it was worth stashing him at the end of my bench to see what he does while Ingram is out, which includes tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread