What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Fake Scarcity Mixtape Draft #1: Tuesday picks 12 & 4PM EDT (1 Viewer)

Not loving the instrumental solo category.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_instruments

ETA: we could change it to allow tripling instead of doubling up an instrument if others feel as GrOOvus does
I'd rather do a slight variation where we have to select a song or songs that feature a non standard rock/pop instrument. The definition of standard would have to be specified, but I'm thinking no typical drum kit fare (bass, snare, toms, cymbals), guitar (electric or acoustic), bass, keyboard (again electric/synth or acoustic). Feature doesn't necessarily mean solo, they could just be used as a supporting instrument throughout the song, added for accent here or there, whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you draft songs from the same band to fit multiple categories?

On the elimination categories, does snatching a band take that band off that list for the category?
1. Yes but expect some people to complain about it

2. Not sure what you mean. Most of the categories kill off the artist from repicks by default. I suppose we could make it that way as well for the few categories that theoretically permit repicks (e.g. sports nicknames, months/days).

ETA: we could change it to allow tripling instead of doubling up an instrument if others feel as GrOOvus does
I'd rather do a slight variation where we have to select a song or songs that feature a non standard rock/pop instrument. The definition of standard would have to be specified, but I'm thinking no typical drum kit fare (bass, snare, toms, cymbals), guitar (electric or acoustic), bass, keyboard (again electric/synth or acoustic). Feature doesn't necessarily mean solo, they could just be used as a supporting instrument throughout the song, added for accent here or there, whatever.
that seems harder :shrug:

I'm just not clear what constitutes a "solo". Does that mean that you can only hear the one instrument for a period of the song?
Pick (1) song with an instrumental solo. No need to study music theory for a definition, any section of a song without lyrics is good enough. Scarcity twist: the instrument comes off the board when selected. All instruments are eligible but if you pick a guitar solo, it better be damned good. Saxophones are count as multiple instruments (soprano, alto, tenor, baritone) but all synths count as one instrument. All instruments can be chosen twice.
I really like this category.

Step #3

Binky the Doormat … 989

John Maddens Lunchbox … 875

Karma Police … 822

Doug B … 788

Steve Tasker … 752

timscochet … 739

Mr. Ected … 690

sn0mm1s … 555

The Dreaded Marco … 531

GrOOvus … 439

Mister CIA … 418

simey … 396

hagmania … 370

Ilov80s … 349

JuddZilla … 167

Mrs Rannous … 145

El Floppo … 141

NV … 128

Zamboni … 102

Eephus … 80

Hov34 … 71
is there a step 4?

Step #3

Binky the Doormat … 989

John Maddens Lunchbox … 875

Karma Police … 822

Doug B … 788

Steve Tasker … 752

timscochet … 739

Mr. Ected … 690

sn0mm1s … 555

The Dreaded Marco … 531

GrOOvus … 439

Mister CIA … 418

simey … 396

hagmania … 370

Ilov80s … 349

JuddZilla … 167

Mrs Rannous … 145

El Floppo … 141

NV … 128

Zamboni … 102

Eephus … 80

Hov34 … 71
is there a step 4?
Profit

Pick (1) song with an instrumental solo. No need to study music theory for a definition, any section of a song without lyrics is good enough. Scarcity twist: the instrument comes off the board when selected. All instruments are eligible but if you pick a guitar solo, it better be damned good. Saxophones are count as multiple instruments (soprano, alto, tenor, baritone) but all synths count as one instrument. All instruments can be chosen twice.
Ditto

Ditto
I like it because it's less of a searching/filtering exercise than some of the other categories.

That said, I'm still looking for input about whether to allow doubling or tripling up.

Ditto
I like it because it's less of a searching/filtering exercise than some of the other categories.

That said, I'm still looking for input about whether to allow doubling or tripling up.
Keep it double - more challenging and with the rule stipulation there are plenty of instruments to choose from.

Category clarification:

Pick (1) USA song by state. Use the state of birth for solo artists and the place where they formed for bands. Don't try to claim the Eagles for Michigan because Glenn Frey was born there. Better yet, don't pick the Eagles at all. Scarcity twist: the state comes off the board when picked.
Washington DC, Puerto Rico, and other US territories and protectorates are also eligible.

Don't want to exclude the Marshall Islands.

Ditto

Keep it double - more challenging and with the rule stipulation there are plenty of instruments to choose from.
zamfir

Ditto
I like it because it's less of a searching/filtering exercise than some of the other categories.That said, I'm still looking for input about whether to allow doubling or tripling up.
Agree on double. Easy for me to say, was going to tap into this one early.

I don't think so. The intent is just to allow people to choose songs where they're thinking "I really liked they way they used <instrument x> in this one" without it having to be a solo and without it being a cliched mainstay instrument (i.e. guitar, keys, drums).

Ditto

zamfir
My second cousin once removed.

I don't think so. The intent is just to allow people to choose songs where they're thinking "I really liked they way they used <instrument x> in this one" without it having to be a solo and without it being a cliched mainstay instrument (i.e. guitar, keys, drums).
If you have a great song that fits your definition, I'd just wait until towards the end and pick it. Shhhh...

Psst- Eephus- how about redoing the draft order with the first 10 people who are, you know, actually around? Nobody's gonna know.

Based on past nerd drafts, JML is either located outside the 12 mile limit or keeps really odd hours. If he shows up, he can make his 1.02 pick so we don't lose another day. Binky can catch up whenever.

Based on past nerd drafts, JML is either located outside the 12 mile limit or keeps really odd hours. If he shows up, he can make his 1.02 pick so we don't lose another day. Binky can catch up whenever.
I move a lot. Gotta keep the feds off my tail.

So I can pick? Binky is being skipped?

1 . 1 --- Binky the Doormat - UP

1 . 3 --- Karma Police - UP

1 . 4 --- Doug B

1 . 5 --- Steve Tasker

1 . 6 --- timschochet

Freaky to turn to the googlesheet and see the first pick being typed in.

Eephus, Do you want us to fill in the sheet, or will you fill it out once you have verified the pic?

Before we get too far into this, I was assuming electric and acoustic guitar are one and the same. If anybody wants to fight about this, now's your last chance.

Sorry - have been out all day. Put me on permanent pass so I don't hold anything up again. I will pick asap.
So are we ready to just do the 1 pick per day thing rather than sticking to the draft order yet?
Again, sorry to get this thing off to rough start. I didn't mean to intend that we only go 1 pick a day ...
No, I meant rather than having a fixed order, each drafter makes one pick per day, whenever they want during the day. That way we don't have to worry about clocks, waiting for other people who become unavoidably detained and things like that. Much less stressful.

Before we get too far into this, I was assuming electric and acoustic guitar are one and the same. If anybody wants to fight about this, now's your last chance.
i say we argue about it until the next pick is made. So we've got at least a day.

Users who are viewing this thread