What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Song Draft - Post Round 19/20 Picks any time today. (1 Viewer)

this came out early in the year, and ticks a lot of 80s revival/The Nation revival boxes. somebody else astutely pointed out a similarity to the chameleons.. whatever. it's an album with really solid songs top to bottom, from a band that seems to be getting better at what they do (if not exactly spreading their wings too far). today, it'll be this song- tomorrow probabaly a different tune from the album.

18- distraction/losing sleep- city calm down

don't think anybody grabbed a tune from this album this go around. I like the album but don't love it (probably won't make my top 20) but I think this tune is just about pitch-perfect jangly-guitar-pop. and working next to k-town, I like hearing korean's swear in english.

19- old town- say sue me

this came out early in the year, and ticks a lot of 80s revival/The Nation revival boxes. somebody else astutely pointed out a similarity to the chameleons.. whatever. it's an album with really solid songs top to bottom, from a band that seems to be getting better at what they do (if not exactly spreading their wings too far). today, it'll be this song- tomorrow probabaly a different tune from the album.

18- distraction/losing sleep- city calm down
Definitely a top 20 album this year for me.

a bunch of bands that weren't represented in either draft this year- but I have to tip my hat back to another that was in the spring. a band I really like, with an album that'll be top 10 for me this year with a bunch of tracks I love, including this one

20- stuck in the changer- no age

bands/songs that just missed the cut:

waste of daylight- mastersystem... so sad, so good. 

but why- canshaker pi.. dutch bizarro rock. big fan.

plus one- pan amsterdam ... low-key ironic spoken-word/jazzy/hip-hop/trumpeting. video is grabber

space gun- guided by voices... its gbv, doing what they/he do. yet another solid album.

clover- lion limb... I'm a big fan of songs that hook onto a minimal groove/hook and run with it- this one does that in spades, and with strings.

dry heat/nice town- cheekface... might be little too self-aware cheeky and derivative, but the lyrics and chorus on this one win me over

doing the right thing- david byrne... this was a decent and current effort by byrne, with a couple of really good tracks.

berlin- GRMLN... I don't know if I can trust spotify, but they put out 4(?!) full albums out this year. all quality. 

eureka- the hold steady... like gbv, this sounds like classic ths. thought they'd have a full album out this year.

big wilma- warmduscher... I really liked this album and band- came very close to making the list both times. hard to categorize. 

balfron- JOHN (TIMESTWO)... tickles my loud growly garage guitar itch. and makes me want to cleaer my throat.

riddles- ed schraeder's music beat... another that almost shoulda coulda been on the final list. good, pop with a righteous crescendo.

El Floppo said:
don't think anybody grabbed a tune from this album this go around. I like the album but don't love it (probably won't make my top 20) but I think this tune is just about pitch-perfect jangly-guitar-pop. and working next to k-town, I like hearing korean's swear in english.

19- old town- say sue me
This band's grown on me, they just released a new single and it's real good too.  Top notch guit-fiddlin

Why am I just now learning that CHVRCHES released this brilliant song that actually has some backbone, unlike the album of mostly tepid crap they released this year.

Out Of My Head (f/Wednesday Campanella)

IDLES will crack my top ten. Debating doing a LOOK AT ME!#!#!# countdown of my favorite songs of the year tomorrow. That's what people do here now, right?

Here, kitty kitty! (de staat)

10 songs for the honorable mention category that are perfectly imperfect (the polish ambassador), but I still do like a lot.

Some are good for just sitting back and sipping on some wild turkey 101 (birdcloud) and just trying to feel good (maribou states), but hopefully you don't get too crazy and o.d. (onyx) and leave your offspring as the widow's son  (apathy).

But maybe they will be so good that you well say I Was ####ed by a Cloud! (ANMLPLNET)

For those of you out there making a killing (jedi mind tricks), know that we appreciate power (grimes)

Well, if I keep going, I'm sure that I’m gonna make you sick of me (Parliament).

ok #### it,  a baker's dozen, if you are yet to be Paralyzed* (Hanni El Khatib), I will certainly make this The Reason They Hate Me (Daughters).  And now I return you to your Astral Traveling (Czarface)

*Technically, I am pretty sure this was released in 2017, but Spotify says 2018, so seems perfect for the perfectly imperfect list.

Users who are viewing this thread