What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Fake Scarcity Mixtape Draft #1: Tuesday picks 12 & 4PM EDT (1 Viewer)

A few more possible categories:

Songs that reference a holiday.

Songs that reference a sports team and/or a specific sport

Song titles with a month of the year (each month eligible twice) or a day of the week (each day eligible x 3).

Song titles referencing a specific body part.
Anybody feeling any of these categories?

I suppose we could reduce the two pick categories in the OP down to one :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm all for more categories. Got a lot of gems on the cutting floor I'd like to pick up.

other suggestions: modes of transportation, animals.

Future draft suggestion: Songs 3 minutes long, or less.
Pretty sure we did this already.
Kind of relieved to hear this; would be a yet another time sink.

ETA: To be clear, I was referring to an entire draft of sub-3 minute songs.
Yes - we did that.

Have you amped up your ritalin in the last couple of days?
I've got a near-50 year ritalin deficiency going on.

So, no.

OP updated with finalish categories

Pick (1) song with numbers in the title. Scarcity twist: the number comes off the board when chosen, e.g.. no more "100" songs after "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" gets selected.

Pick (1) solo song from band members where the band was much more popular than the solo artist. It wasn't my category so I don't know how much the much more popular angle will be enforced. Don't come looking for the commissioner on this one. Scarcity twist: the band comes off the board when chosen, e.g. no Keith Partridge solo songs eligible after somebody drafts a song by Danny.

Pick (1) song by a female artist. A "female" group either has a woman lead singer or two or more female members. Scarcity twist: the artist comes off the board when picked.

Pick (1) legitimately popular song. Pick a song that reached the top five in the US Billboard Pop charts. This site or this site are the authoritative source for chart info. The Pop chart is the only one that matters, no country, urban, alternative corporate radio BS. Scarcity twist: the artist comes off the board when picked.

Pick (1) USA song by state. Use the state of birth for solo artists and the place where they formed for bands. Don't try to claim the Eagles for Michigan because Glenn Frey was born there. Better yet, don't pick the Eagles at all. Scarcity twist: the state comes off the board when picked.

Pick (1) international songs. Songs by an artist from a country other than the good ol' USA. We're using FIFA country definitions instead of the UN's, so England, Scotland, Wales and Ulster are separate countries. Scarcity twist: the country comes off the board when selected, e.g. no Poles eligible after Chopin.

Pick (1) song that mentions a type of drug or alcohol in the lyrics. Brand names count as their generic category. Scarcity twist: the type of drug or alcohol comes off the board. If the song mentions multiple types, the drafter gets to pick one type to close out.

Pick (1) song with an instrumental solo. No need to study music theory for a definition, any section of a song without lyrics is good enough. Scarcity twist: the instrument comes off the board when selected. All instruments are eligible but if you pick a guitar solo, it better be damned good. Saxophones are count as multiple instruments (soprano, alto, tenor, baritone) but all synths count as one instrument. All instruments can be chosen twice.

Pick (1) song that mentions the nickname of a sports team. It can either be in the title or in the lyrics. College and non-USA names are fine. The reference can be singular, e.g.. "Eye of the Tiger" and "76 Trombones" are both good. Scarcity twist: team comes off the board when selected.

Pick (1) song performed by a group including two or more members of a nuclear family (brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers). Scarcity twist: group comes off the board when selected.

Pick (1) song _TITLE_ containing a month of the year (each month eligible twice) or a day of the week (each day eligible x 3). Don't try to get cute with May as a verb. Scarcity twist: the month or day comes off the board when selected.

BONUS ROUND 12: If everyone is still paying attention at the end of round 11, pick an extra eligible song from any of the draft categories.
Artist eligibility for each category is exclusive. If an artist is off the board in one category, he or she can be drafted in another category. A song (including covers) can't be drafted more than once.

Speak up now if you hate any categories. I'll randomize order on Monday and we can start this

:tfp:

Folks, it looks like this week is going to be busier than I thought it would be -- I'm going to have to bow out -- enjoy!

A lot of chatter in the other thread but hard to tell who's officially in. Sorry if I missed anyone.

Confirmed in (I think)

El Floppo

timscochet

Binky the Doormat

GrOOvus

Zamboni

simey

Mister CIA

Eephus

Expressed some interest

Doug B
Wasn't online much on Friday ... missed the kickoff. Still room?

A lot of chatter in the other thread but hard to tell who's officially in. Sorry if I missed anyone.

Confirmed in (I think)

El Floppo

timscochet

Binky the Doormat

GrOOvus

Zamboni

simey

Mister CIA

Eephus

Expressed some interest

Doug B
Wasn't online much on Friday ... missed the kickoff. Still room?
I say no because you'll snipe me too much. :P

El Floppo
timscochet
Binky the Doormat
GrOOvus
Zamboni
simey
Mister CIA
Eephus
John Maddens Lunchbox
Steve Tasker
sn0mm1s
Hov34
hagmania
The Dreaded Marco
Mr. Ected
Ilov80s
Mrs Rannous
JuddZilla
Karma Police
NV
Doug B

Mr. Ected said:
Mrs. Rannous said:
Sounds good. Are we going with the one pick a day whenever we want format?
I like this idea: do 1 M-F this week, one over the weekend, then 1 M-F next week and finish on the weekend.
Any more thoughts on this?

Personally, I'd like to run through a few rounds like a real draft but will go along if there's a groundswell for daily picks.

Mr. Ected said:
Mrs. Rannous said:
I like this idea: do 1 M-F this week, one over the weekend, then 1 M-F next week and finish on the weekend.

Personally, I'd like to run through a few rounds like a real draft but will go along if there's a groundswell for daily picks.
Real draft with reasonably short timer IMO.

Mixtape drafts have always had a number of picks thrown back. Because of the category limitations in this one, I'm going to rule that any discards/repicks have to wait until the end of round 11.

I am cool with any format. The issue with trating these like drafts is that it quickly gets to the point where no one minds being skipped. Hard to keep tracl of who'sd up and such when 2/3 of the draft is on intentional skip.

I like the draft format, too ... but I understand why others shy away.

I am cool with any format. The issue with trating these like drafts is that it quickly gets to the point where no one minds being skipped. Hard to keep tracl of who'sd up and such when 2/3 of the draft is on intentional skip.

I like the draft format, too ... but I understand why others shy away.
That's why a shorter draft is better - the longer it goes, the more autoskips you get.

I like the true draft format - makes you strategize to avoid being sniped especially when you know some of the drafters ahead of you.

Mr. Ected said:
Mrs. Rannous said:

Maybe a quick post from most how their availability is? Seems we go to more of a one or two a day as people are busy and post that they can be skipped. Start off drafts with a handful of these as well. I am one of those this time.

I'm going to randomize draft order now.

Step #1

El Floppo
timscochet
Binky the Doormat
GrOOvus
Zamboni
simey
Mister CIA
Eephus
John Maddens Lunchbox
Steve Tasker
sn0mm1s
Hov34
hagmania
The Dreaded Marco
Mr. Ected
Ilov80s
Mrs Rannous
JuddZilla
Karma Police
NV
Doug B

Step #2

RPG Library Secure Dice generated the following rolls for wisruthroll@gmail.com.

25d1000, rolled once.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 141, 739, 989, 439, 102, 396, 418, 80, 875, 752, 555, 71, 370, 531, 690, 349, 145, 167, 822, 128, 788, 442, 599, 540, 558
Roll subtotal: 11686
Roll total: 11686

Step #3

Binky the Doormat … 989

John Maddens Lunchbox … 875

Karma Police … 822

Doug B … 788

Steve Tasker … 752

timscochet … 739

Mr. Ected … 690

sn0mm1s … 555

The Dreaded Marco … 531

GrOOvus … 439

Mister CIA … 418

simey … 396

hagmania … 370

Ilov80s … 349

JuddZilla … 167

Mrs Rannous … 145

El Floppo … 141

NV … 128

Zamboni … 102

Eephus … 80

Hov34 … 71

I have absolutely no idea how to prioritize my picks based on sniping or how I am going to put together a coherent mix.

Question for commish: can a song category be changed later on or is it locked-in once you pick the song/declare a category?

I have absolutely no idea how to prioritize my picks based on sniping or how I am going to put together a coherent mix.

Question for commish: can a song category be changed later on or is it locked-in once you pick the song/declare a category?
All drops/repicks/category switches happen at the end of round #11.

Can you draft songs from the same band to fit multiple categories?

On the elimination categories, does snatching a band take that band off that list for the category?

Not loving the instrumental solo category.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_instruments

ETA: we could change it to allow tripling instead of doubling up an instrument if others feel as GrOOvus does
I'm just not clear what constitutes a "solo". Does that mean that you can only hear the one instrument for a period of the song?
Pick (1) song with an instrumental solo. No need to study music theory for a definition, any section of a song without lyrics is good enough. Scarcity twist: the instrument comes off the board when selected. All instruments are eligible but if you pick a guitar solo, it better be damned good. Saxophones are count as multiple instruments (soprano, alto, tenor, baritone) but all synths count as one instrument. All instruments can be chosen twice.

Users who are viewing this thread