What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cody Latimer (1 Viewer)

I'm keeping an eye on Latimer too, but remember that Thomas, Sanders and Daniels didn't play last night. ... Still worth monitoring, though.

Sounds like he's about to blow his opportunity as Denver's WR3. Word is Manning has no faith in him. I'm done waiting on this guy... dropped him for Brandon Coleman.

Are we still thinking now that he's headed toward WR6 on Denver that this guy is a prospect worth stashing on a medium-sized dynasty bench?

Or is it time to cut bait for more intriguing flash-in-the-pans?

(I won't mention names so this doesn't look like a WDIS thread...but very much wondering if Latimer owners are bailing out or staying the course.)

I bailed on him in a small / medium bench dynasty league. At the risk of overreacting, it just looks like a situation with very little upside right now. I was hoping he'd be the third WR in a good passing offense. Right now he appears to be the 6th WR in a pretty mediocre passing offense. Too many other options in my league.

Are we still thinking now that he's headed toward WR6 on Denver that this guy is a prospect worth stashing on a medium-sized dynasty bench?

(I won't mention names so this doesn't look like a WDIS thread...but very much wondering if Latimer owners are bailing out or staying the course.)
I believe he can double last year's production.

I had Latimer in a deep dynasty with a relatively small bench size (11 starters, 26 man rosters), and I packaged him with L. Green to obtain Eifert before the season started.

If I had him now in that format, I would test the trade waters with whoever I thought valued him the most, but ultimately I would consider him droppable.

Rotoworld:

Jordan Norwood caught 2-of-5 targets for 25 yards Week 1 against the Ravens.

Norwood worked as the primary slot receiver, which is something ESPN's Jeff Legwold expects to continue. Norwood has jumped Cody Latimer on the depth chart and could be useful in extremely deep PPR formats. Latimer can be dropped in redraft leagues.

Sep 15 - 12:19 PM
Source: ESPN
Actual quote from the article:

Jordan Norwood has the trust factor with Manning. And working out of the slot much of the time, Norwood had two catches for 25 yards -- both went for first downs in one second-quarter drive. There is more coming there.

JORDAN NORWOOD RECEIVES FIVE TARGETS
By Blaine Blontz, Broncos Correspondent, Mon, Sep 14th 1:26pm EDT

Despite being listed as the team's No. 5 WR, Jordan Norwood received five targets Sunday against the Ravens. He finished with two receptions for 25 yards.

Fantasy Impact: This was Norwood's first action since 2012, but he saw more targets than two others ahead of him on the depth chart, Andre Caldwell and Cody Latimer. He doesn't require action yet, but he's a player to monitor moving forward.

Enthusiastically spent a first round dynasty pick on Latimer a year ago in the greatest crop of rookie WRs in fantasy history. Drank the Kool-Aid to the last drop. Now I'm watching Jordan Norwood and Virgil Green get redzone targets with no Latimer to be seen. Somebody talk me off the ledge.

Enthusiastically spent a first round dynasty pick on Latimer a year ago in the greatest crop of rookie WRs in fantasy history. Drank the Kool-Aid to the last drop. Now I'm watching Jordan Norwood and Virgil Green get redzone targets with no Latimer to be seen. Somebody talk me off the ledge.
He went in the mid-2nd in both of my non-devy dynasties...I don't get what people expected, that a young WR was going to be a factor within a year or two with an ancient Manning? He was a 2nd rounder but he's not a slot guy and they already had two better perimeter WR's.

He went in the mid-2nd in both of my non-devy dynasties...I don't get what people expected, that a young WR was going to be a factor within a year or two with an ancient Manning? He was a 2nd rounder but he's not a slot guy and they already had two better perimeter WR's.
Like I said, I drank the Kool-Aid. Certain high-profile fantasy football analysts raved constantly about his physical skills. I guess I expected those skills to pay off.

I'm not bitter at the anonymous analysts, but I am bitter toward a guy with elite physical tools who can't get on the field.

He's another one of those guys Roto was gushing about during OTAs, etc. Saying he was gonna be the #3 WR behind Thomas and Sanders. And of course now, he's undraftable. I like roto for their daily, quick updates. But their forecasts and "insight" are worthless.

Always looking for applicable info for dynasty asset evaluation. Shortly after the conclusion of the season, there was an article ranking the author's top 75 with commentary. Latimer was pretty high on the list so I made a point of acquiring him in all my leagues.

He is now a dynasty asset for better or worse. Next year he will be going into his third year and hopefully the light will go on. In addition, he should be building a rapport with Brock which should carry on to the field when he takes over next year.

What the heck happened to this guy? Somebody dropped him last week in dynasty. He's got no role to speak of in Denver. So much hype and buzz when he was drafted last season. Now he's almost worthless.

Dropped in one of my dynasties too, I happily snapped him up to fill an empty taxi squad spot, may as well hold and see what develops. Easy drop on shorter bench though.

yeah. sitting on the waiver wire in 1 of my short-bench dynasty leagues (12 team, no taxi, 20 players total, keep only 12) and no one cares enough to pick him up. In my other dynasty league wit hthe same exact setup, I'm the doofus rostering Latimer but he's one gentle nudge away from me dropping him if another key injury hits. I don't think anyone would bother picking him up in that league either but hard to say.

Raiderfan32904 said:
What the heck happened to this guy? Somebody dropped him last week in dynasty. He's got no role to speak of in Denver. So much hype and buzz when he was drafted last season. Now he's almost worthless.
It sounds like the ability is there but he is just not capable of mastering the play book, running the correct routes, and making the necessary adjustments on the fly. Maybe that will come with more time but he doesn't appear to have any value in redraft at this point. He's only played in 9 snaps over 2 games so far.

Raiderfan32904 said:
It sounds like the ability is there but he is just not capable of mastering the play book, running the correct routes, and making the necessary adjustments on the fly. Maybe that will come with more time but he doesn't appear to have any value in redraft at this point. He's only played in 9 snaps over 2 games so far.
Wouldn't shock me to see him get on the field next year when Old Man Manning is gone.

shady inc said:
Hankmoody said:
Dropped in one of my dynasties too, I happily snapped him up to fill an empty taxi squad spot, may as well hold and see what develops. Easy drop on shorter bench though.
you can put 2nd year players on the taxi squad?
Any rookie and anyone from waivers can start on taxi squad. Once promoted they can't be put back down unless dropped again.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Wouldn't shock me to see him get on the field next year when Old Man Manning is gone.
Yes maybe the light comes on for this guy next year or even later this season. But it's a huge red flag that he still can't get on the same page with Manning, under two different coaching staffs.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Yes maybe the light comes on for this guy next year or even later this season. But it's a huge red flag that he still can't get on the same page with Manning, under two different coaching staffs.
Wouldn't it be worse if he couldn't get on the same page under the same coaching staff in two years? Sometimes the light just doesn't come on for a couple of years for WRs, there are plenty of guys who did little their first two years and exploded in year 3. I don't know that this will happen to Latimer though, more of an overall statement on the position that some guys take some time to mature on the field. FWIW, I have him in 2 leagues and am holding, but if someone offered me anything remotely decent I would be tempted to part with him.

He's the one early round 2014 FF rookie draft WR who hasn't done anything. Just about all of the other rookie FF WRs drafted around him have produced. Can't hold on to him much longer.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Wouldn't it be worse if he couldn't get on the same page under the same coaching staff in two years? Sometimes the light just doesn't come on for a couple of years for WRs, there are plenty of guys who did little their first two years and exploded in year 3. I don't know that this will happen to Latimer though, more of an overall statement on the position that some guys take some time to mature on the field. FWIW, I have him in 2 leagues and am holding, but if someone offered me anything remotely decent I would be tempted to part with him.
I agree with the 3rd year WR breakout theory in general, but Latimer has barely seen the field in year 1 and 2. He only has 2 receptions to date in just over 100 snaps playing with a top QB and team. Something is wrong with him.

Raiderfan32904 said:
I agree with the 3rd year WR breakout theory in general, but Latimer has barely seen the field in year 1 and 2. He only has 2 receptions to date in just over 100 snaps playing with a top QB and team. Something is wrong with him.
Not that I hold out much hope, but Manning changes all the rules here. If he doesn't trust the guy he's not going to play. Period end of story. There have been a couple of other guys in the past had some solid talent but never got on the field with Manning, and others that were absolute schmucks like Stokeley and Tamme who he kept feeding the ball to simply because he knew where he'd be. Manning doesn't need the WR's talent, he can (could) move the ball all by himself just playing pitch and catch. If the guy has talent that's simply a plus, but it's not a requirement for Manning.

All offseason Kubiak, Sanders, and Thomas talked the guy up like he was the next big thing. That doesn't just disappear. He's got the goods, I just think somewhere in preseason Manning got down on him and he lost his confidence. He's a dynasty hold. He will get a shot at some point this year.

As a dynasty owner I'm holding for sure. Mainly because it's only his 2nd year and until recently you often didn't even here about WRs until the 3rd year breakout or later and then people go "who's that guy?" Now young WRs have a huge spotlight on them and if they don't hit right away as a rookie or 2nd year people get way down on them. For me in dynasty I'm going to take advantage and scoop up many of these types of guys on the cheap because history says a lot of them (if they have the talent) will hit 3rd or 4th year. If he doesn't work out then so be it, it didn't cost much.

As a dynasty owner I'm holding for sure. Mainly because it's only his 2nd year and until recently you often didn't even here about WRs until the 3rd year breakout or later and then people go "who's that guy?" Now young WRs have a huge spotlight on them and if they don't hit right away as a rookie or 2nd year people get way down on them. For me in dynasty I'm going to take advantage and scoop up many of these types of guys on the cheap because history says a lot of them (if they have the talent) will hit 3rd or 4th year. If he doesn't work out then so be it, it didn't cost much.
I agree. He was dropped in a dynasty league with 20 roster spots. I scooped him up and dropped Owen Daniels.

It's almost completely likely that he is a bust but one good game/big injury/etc could present some value this season to teams who may be looking to the future. I'll take the chance on him as a last roster spot if I can if his price is free.99

I'm beginning to think there is some injury going on that Denver isn't revealing. Or he's just a complete and total bust right now. Still, I'll hold in a deep 26 man roster since I have a couple other guys I can churn before I get to him.

Latimer has seen a few looks with Manning out. I've been of the view that, while Manning can function with veteran WRs, at this point he has been such a win-now mentality that he simply wouldn't put up with Latimer's growing pains.

Latimer gets a shot to make an impact now, with both Manning and Sanders out. If he can't do anything the next couple weeks, his dynasty value plummets even further.

Users who are viewing this thread