What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cody Latimer (3 Viewers)

I think we need Cecil Lammey in here :rolleyes:
He just wrote this article on him a few days ago but may not be what you want to hear: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2360912-future-of-broncos-wr-cody-latimer-unclear-under-new-offense

Valid points he raises but if Latimer is as good a WR as I think he is and as good of a blocker as Elway gushed he was when he drafted him I think Kubiak will alter his scheme, but if nothing else a great article to send to a Latimer owner if you are looking to acquire him.

Rotoworld:

Coach Gary Kubiak said he "really, really liked" Broncos second-year WR Cody Latimer when he visited with him ahead of the 2014 draft.
"I spent a whole day with him in Baltimore," Kubiak said. "I think a lot of his ability." Latimer played just 37 snaps as a rookie in Denver, but is expected to take on a much larger role as a sophomore with Wes Welker a free agent and Andre Caldwell a release candidate. Latimer is the current favorite to play outside opposite Demaryius Thomas in three-wide sets, with Emmaneul Sanders in the slot.

Source: Jeff Legwold on Twitter
Feb 18 - 2:50 PM

On a day my spirits were crushed with Fitz signing in Arizona, happy that Kubiak and Elway are going to give this kid a shot this year.

His fantasy value (for 2015) isn't much if they resign D Thomas. If they go to a run based scheme, then how do you start Latimer in FF?

Unless there's a significant scheme change from what Kubiak has done historically where does the "big jump" come from? Kubiak rarely runs 3 wideouts in his scheme. D Thomas and Sanders return. Neither figures to sit frequently. Latimer should see more snaps just based on what he has the potential to become. But where they come from isn't obvious.
It could be Kubiak's system/preference to not run 3-wides. But when was the last time he had 3 good WRs? He barely even had two good ones in HOU. Rod Smith, Ed McCaffery &...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless there's a significant scheme change from what Kubiak has done historically where does the "big jump" come from? Kubiak rarely runs 3 wideouts in his scheme. D Thomas and Sanders return. Neither figures to sit frequently. Latimer should see more snaps just based on what he has the potential to become. But where they come from isn't obvious.
It could be Kubiak's system/preference to not run 3-wides. But when was the last time he had 3 good WRs? He barely even had two good ones in HOU. Rod Smith, Ed McCaffery &...?
andre Johnson Kevin Walter and ...

Cecil Lammey isn't sure of the role for Latimer in Kubiak's run-heavy offense.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2360912-future-of-broncos-wr-cody-latimer-unclear-under-new-offense

Future of Broncos WR Cody Latimer Unclear Under New Offense By Cecil Lammey , Featured Columnist ... The plan was likely to have Latimer develop this year, then potentially start in 2015 on the outside opposite Demaryius Thomas. This, of course, would require Emmanuel Sanders to be moved to the slot position. Sanders put up career-best numbers in 2014, but one could argue that he’s a more natural fit in the slot.

That plan was altered when the Broncos hired Gary Kubiak to be their new head coach.

Under Kubiak, the Broncos should employ the two-tight end set as their base formation. With 22 personnel (two running backs, two tight ends) on the field, there is little need for a slot receiver.

Latimer is not as proven as Sanders is, so this change in philosophy means the second-year receiver could be more of a backup for the new-look Broncos.

The future of Latimer is unclear in this new Broncos offense.
Also its been mentioned in this thread that their were 'whispers' of Latimer having difficulty mastering the playbook and the latest Broncos podcast says he had a 'slow learning curve' last year but they really don't divulge anything about his slow learning curve but if he has to learn a new offense he may have the same issue.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/audio/Podcast-Emphasizing-youth--a-look-at-new-rules/8198cc6f-c64b-4365-b910-2a67b537723b

Posted:

21 hours ago Podcast: Emphasizing youth & a look at new rulesYouth is a main focus for the Broncos, as Gary Kubiak discussed at the NFL annual meetings in Phoenix. Ben and Mase take a look at the Broncos' main spots for that, as well as rules changes.

Cecil Lammey isn't sure of the role for Latimer in Kubiak's run-heavy offense.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2360912-future-of-broncos-wr-cody-latimer-unclear-under-new-offense

Future of Broncos WR Cody Latimer Unclear Under New Offense By Cecil Lammey , Featured Columnist ... The plan was likely to have Latimer develop this year, then potentially start in 2015 on the outside opposite Demaryius Thomas. This, of course, would require Emmanuel Sanders to be moved to the slot position. Sanders put up career-best numbers in 2014, but one could argue that he’s a more natural fit in the slot.

That plan was altered when the Broncos hired Gary Kubiak to be their new head coach.

Under Kubiak, the Broncos should employ the two-tight end set as their base formation. With 22 personnel (two running backs, two tight ends) on the field, there is little need for a slot receiver.

Latimer is not as proven as Sanders is, so this change in philosophy means the second-year receiver could be more of a backup for the new-look Broncos.

The future of Latimer is unclear in this new Broncos offense.
Also its been mentioned in this thread that their were 'whispers' of Latimer having difficulty mastering the playbook and the latest Broncos podcast says he had a 'slow learning curve' last year but they really don't divulge anything about his slow learning curve but if he has to learn a new offense he may have the same issue.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/audio/Podcast-Emphasizing-youth--a-look-at-new-rules/8198cc6f-c64b-4365-b910-2a67b537723b

Posted:

21 hours ago Podcast: Emphasizing youth & a look at new rulesYouth is a main focus for the Broncos, as Gary Kubiak discussed at the NFL annual meetings in Phoenix. Ben and Mase take a look at the Broncos' main spots for that, as well as rules changes.
I'm curious about this as well. Kubiak has a history of using a 2TE set as a base package but Manning also has his own system that's typically 3wrs.

Kubiak has said recently that he'll adapt his offense to fit Manning, which can be interpreted many different ways. I'm not sure anyone knows how Denver's offense will look at this point. I think it depends on how much of last year's 2nd half decline in production was a result of Manning playing through an injury versus a permanent decline in ability. I do think Manning will be more willing to "manage" the offense more this season which would decrease Manning's ceiling a bit.

As for Latimer, I think he will be given every opportunity to play outside and also in the slot some. He just has to produce when given the chance

This is a team losing Welker and Julius Thomas. That's a lot of inside WR threat that needs to be replaced. I doubt Virgil Green is the answer.

I think what happens is Latimer moves to the outside and Sanders moves to the slot.

Re-drafting the 2014 wide receiver class

Excerpt:

Cody Latimer, Denver BroncosAfter dropping just one pass his senior year at Indiana, Latimer's draft stock soared when he ran a 4.44 forty and turned in a 39-inch vertical just three months after undergoing foot surgery. Already raw as a route runner, Latimer fell further behind when the rehab forced him to miss offseason practices. He ended up playing just 37 snaps as a rookie, conceding that he didn't know the playbook well enough to keep up with Peyton Manning.

"Peyton has so many checks, and he makes so many calls on the field, you have to be ready," Latimer explained. "He wants you to be on cue with him, and if you make a mistake, he doesn't like that."

Latimer possesses an intrigued size-speed combination at nearly 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds with exceptionally strong hands and a penchant for winning jump balls. His preseason film shows separation on go routes, impressive leaping ability and explosive run-after-catch ability. What little regular-season film there is includes Manning venting frustration when Latimer failed to react to a back-shoulder throw in Week 17.

The Question: Can Peyton Manning trust him to be in the right spot?

Broncos players, coaches and executives have expressed confidence in Latimer as a special talent ready to make the leap in 2015. To do so, he's going to have to earn the trust of Manning, who relies as much as any quarterback on chemistry with his receivers. Since Gary Kubiak's offense relies more on two-wide receiver sets, Latimer is likely at least a year away from a true breakout season.

Comparison: Braylon Edwards

Rotoworld:

According to Yahoo's Charles Robinson, Broncos WR Cody Latimer "checked out mentally" during his rookie season.

Latimer has an abundance of physical tools, but wasn't mentally bought in as a rookie. Robinson reports Latimer was "unmotivated" by his low depth-chart standing, and took "a laid back approach to pretty much everything that comes along with NFL preparation." While the 2015 offseason reports have been glowing, this is an obvious red flag for Latimer's short- and long-term outlooks.

Source: Yahoo Sports
Jun 9 - 4:27 PM

For anyone in a league with limited rookie keepers which is my situation his status is a tough call. Believe he's got long term success on the horizon, but means giving up more productive but less upside players to keep. Hope more clarity emerges before the season somehow one way or the other

For anyone in a league with limited rookie keepers which is my situation his status is a tough call. Believe he's got long term success on the horizon, but means giving up more productive but less upside players to keep. Hope more clarity emerges before the season somehow one way or the other
I just accepted an offer where I gave up J-Stew for Latimer. I feel pretty good about that deal. Just an example of his value...seems pretty low.

I just accepted an offer where I gave up J-Stew for Latimer. I feel pretty good about that deal. Just an example of his value...seems pretty low.
But you gave up a starting RB for the WR3 In Denver? ???

Manning probably retires after the season and mccown could be denvers qb next year, latimer would still be the #3 on the team while stewart is a starting rb. Like all FF trades only time will tell and you could have gotten a steal, but thats a gamble i personally wouldnt have made.

Manning probably retires after the season and mccown could be denvers qb next year, latimer would still be the #3 on the team while stewart is a starting rb. Like all FF trades only time will tell and you could have gotten a steal, but thats a gamble i personally wouldnt have made.
I don't think it was a gamble at all. I think that's cheap for Latimer. Even after Stewarts "successful" year last year many still won't come close to giving fair value which to me is mid 2nd rookie value. I'd much rather have a guy like Latimer who has huge upside than Stewart who is a shoe-in to get banged up at some point. I just don't see his value increasing much from where it is now.

or Manning comes back after the season and Demaryius Thomas is gone after he and Denver don't agree to a long-term contract and Denver tags Von Miller next year. Or a number of scenarios (McCown being the Denver starter next year seems like an incredibly low possibility given the FO and the team structure btw).

Plus, context. What if it's a rebuilding team? What good is oft-injured and aging Jon Stewart on a team that is in rebuild mode? probably best to sell high on Stewart while he's healthy and a starting RB if it's a rebuild.

Looks like a fine dynasty trade on the surface.

McCown? Did something happen to Brock Osweiller that I missed? I believe he is going to be a very good QB in the league once he gets his chance - I would take lattimer over JStew every day in a dynasty league. How is lattimer a lock as the #3? It's a new system and from what I've read it seems Sanders is going to be in the slot much more this year - he even is expecting a dip in production. I can't remember a fantasy worthy slot WR in kubiaks offense ... Balls seem to go to the outside WR's and the TE.

Big fan of Lattimer - especially when Brock steps in when Manning hangs it up.

We know what we have in J-Stew...an aging, oft injured RB on a team where his head coach said they'd like to cap his touches at 15 per game. That's just coach speak I know, but most teams in the NFL right now are RBBC. I decided I'd rather have Latimer's youth and potential for the long term. I like everything I've been hearing on Latimer so far. Once he gets Peyton's trust he could put up some great numbers. And I happen to think Peyton will be around for atleast 1 or 2 more years.

how does DT signing impact Latimer? Is this Sanders' last year?

Re-draft he doesn't have much value

Dynasty- is there still hope?

Sanders is signed thru 2016. It's certainly a hit, but Julius' targets are still up for grabs (Virgin/Daniels/Casey). Still hope in dynasty, but would need to show something this year for me to say that again 12 months from now.

He has value in redraft if he's the number 3 WR in Denver this year.

In dynasty, you shouldn't be looking at his situation, you should be looking at his talent. If you think he has the talent, then of course there is still hope.

Sanders is signed thru 2016. It's certainly a hit, but Julius' targets are still up for grabs (Virgin/Daniels/Casey). Still hope in dynasty, but would need to show something this year for me to say that again 12 months from now.
i was thinking this was the 2016 season, meaning it was sanders' last year. weren't the patriots the 2015 champs? meaning this would be the 2016 season? i honestly don't know

He has value in redraft if he's the number 3 WR in Denver this year.

In dynasty, you shouldn't be looking at his situation, you should be looking at his talent. If you think he has the talent, then of course there is still hope.
christine michael owners have probably been saying that for a few years. he'll be 25 in november and hasn't done anything yet despite his supposed talent. situation matters a little

i was thinking this was the 2016 season, meaning it was sanders' last year. weren't the patriots the 2015 champs? meaning this would be the 2016 season? i honestly don't know
This is the 2015 season. /debate

This is the 2015 season. /debate
Correct. Just think of what year it is when the season begins, not the Superbowl.

Rotoworld:

Coach Gary Kubiak said he's "really excited" about second-year WR Cody Latimer.

"I’m really excited about what he can bring and I know he’s a lot better now than when he started," Kubiak said. "I’m excited moving forward." While Demaryius Thomas held out of all offseason team activities as he searched for a new contract, Latimer was the one working opposite Emmanuel Sanders with Peyton Manning and the first-team offense. That's something he rarely got to do as a rookie. "I think that this is going to be the year that he jumps on to the map -- on to the scene," Sanders said. "I think he’s going to have a big year." Latimer should be a fixture on offense in three-wide sets with Sanders kicking inside.

Source: denverbroncos.com
Jul 20 - 6:28 PM

Rotoworld:

Cody Latimer is making "catch after catch" through the first few days of Broncos camp.

Per team reporter Andrew Mason, Latimer has been impressive every day so far. It's certainly a good sign after he played just 37 snaps as a rookie and confirmation that he has the No. 3 wideout job locked. The concern is that new schemer Gary Kubiak loves two-tight-end sets and Peyton Manning's volume will dip sharply this year. Neither Demaryius Thomas nor Emmanuel Sanders has missed a game since 2011.

Source: Andrew Mason on Twitter
Aug 4 - 12:47 PM

Rotoworld:

Cody Latimer caught four balls for 49 yards in the Broncos' preseason opener Friday night.

Latimer was the go-to receiver with Brock Osweiler, who started the game with Peyton Manning resting. Latimer made difficult catches both along the sideline and in the middle of the field. Despite a nonexistent rookie year, Latimer remains a high-ceiling talent who is simply blocked in Denver right now.

Aug 15 - 8:43 AM

Users who are viewing this thread