What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Calvin Johnson to retire - CONFIRMED (2 Viewers)

Someone give this guy a 3 day ban for spreading rumors.
He was pretty upfront that it was a rumor his friend who works within the Lion's org told him. He shared it here, and said from the beginning, multiple times, his friend could be wrong and it was nothing but a rumor.

If you traded Calvin, or made any rash decisions, that's your own fault.

He was pretty upfront that it was a rumor his friend who works within the Lion's org told him. He shared it here, and said from the beginning, multiple times, his friend could be wrong and it was nothing but a rumor.

Brb, gonna start my own rumor thread! Joe Flacco wants to be a woman!!!

Certainly more believable.

Ya know, he really did get dolled up this year.

He seemingly went straight from a $5 buzz cut to hiring a personal stylist.

I think he told them, fire Caldwell or else I'll retire. Then the Ford's looked at Calvin's cap number and said ... we were going to fire him but now we'll keep Caldwell.

That's the only thing that makes sense in the Lions recent decision making processes ... And this thread

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he told them, fire Caldwell or else I'll retire. Then the Ford's looked at Calvin's cap number and said ... we were going to fire him but now we'll keep Caldwell.

That's the only thing that makes sense in the Lions recent decision making processes ... And this thread
All kidding aside, even if he did retire, that wouldn't take away his cap hit, right? Doesn't it accelerate his signing bonus or something? I seem to remember this happening with someone a few years ago, though the specifics escape me.

If you didn't read through the thread, that's fine. I changed the headline to "rumor", I didn't make it up as it came from someone within the Lions organization, and was adamant that it could be wrong and to not do anything crazy. I get the reason for the attacks, but it is/was an accurate source but I'm not sure what's up with it. Sorry if I offended anyone with the thread.

I have reached out for more info but haven't gotten a text back today. So maybe he was misinformed, or maybe it's going to happen later on. My apologies again if you didn't read through the thread and traded him away.

All kidding aside, even if he did retire, that wouldn't take away his cap hit, right? Doesn't it accelerate his signing bonus or something? I seem to remember this happening with someone a few years ago, though the specifics escape me.
Correct. The signing bonus is prorated over the life of the contract, any remaining balance hits the salary cap. If the cut/retirement happens before June 1st the entire amount hits in 2016. If the cut/retirement is after June 1st the Lions can split the hit between 2016 and 2017.

If Calvin Johnson actually retires tomorrow, do we give Deamon a pass, or is he just wrong?
It's not about being right or wrong. But yes, if he does shockingly retire tomorrow, or this offseason, then I'd say the guy who told me had the correct information. If he doesn't, then he was wrong. Just thought I'd pass the info along, but perhaps I shouldn't have.

This is pure speculation but I need to get it off my chest! :football: :hot:

One thing I want to add to this: I am completely disgusted with the Detroit media and how they've latched on to how "overpaid" Calvin is going to be next season and by virtue how he "might have played his last game with the Lions". As far as I can tell that's completely spun by the local yokel media guys around here. It's certainly not coming from the front office since ya know we don't really have one. I can't think of anything more disrespectful to a professional than calling them overpaid and asking if they'd be willing to take a pay cut. It's one thing if it comes from the team but from some dork with the Free Press it's got to be infuriating.

I could see where Calvin could be considering retirement just so he doesn't have to deal with it all any more.

Eminence said:
Spin said:
Eminence said:

You started that 5 years ago.

This is pure speculation but I need to get it off my chest! :football: :hot:

One thing I want to add to this: I am completely disgusted with the Detroit media and how they've latched on to how "overpaid" Calvin is going to be next season and by virtue how he "might have played his last game with the Lions". As far as I can tell that's completely spun by the local yokel media guys around here. It's certainly not coming from the front office since ya know we don't really have one. I can't think of anything more disrespectful to a professional than calling them overpaid and asking if they'd be willing to take a pay cut. It's one thing if it comes from the team but from some dork with the Free Press it's got to be infuriating.

I could see where Calvin could be considering retirement just so he doesn't have to deal with it all any more.
WTF you talking about? They are saying the same thing about Brees right now and every high paid player nearing the end of their career. Calvin is not special in this regard.

Dezbelief said:
zftcg said:
Papa John said:

Correct. The signing bonus is prorated over the life of the contract, any remaining balance hits the salary cap. If the cut/retirement happens before June 1st the entire amount hits in 2016. If the cut/retirement is after June 1st the Lions can split the hit between 2016 and 2017.
No waiting until June 1st anymore. You can release a player earlier and designate them as a June 1st cut. I think it was part of the new bargaining agreement so that vets didn't have to wait until after June 1st to be able to find a new team, which makes sense with mini-camps/OTAs in April and May.

Deamon said:
Arodin said:
If Calvin Johnson actually retires tomorrow, do we give Deamon a pass, or is he just wrong?
It's not about being right or wrong. But yes, if he does shockingly retire tomorrow, or this offseason, then I'd say the guy who told me had the correct information. If he doesn't, then he was wrong. Just thought I'd pass the info along, but perhaps I shouldn't have.
You source better be up for a good tar and feathering.

Assuming that the source would have no real interest in lying, the most likely case is simply that Calvin changed his mind.

Easy to see how a frustrated player after a frustrating season might say something about quitting in an unguarded moment. Might even intend to do it, but then be talked out of it by teammates, coaches, etc. Maybe he just went home, had a good night's sleep and decided it was premature.

For that matter, he may come back and retire later in the offseason. Or wait to see whether the Lions actually keep their coach.

Nothing wrong with posting this initial report. Just too bad no one here has the sources to dig out what actually happened or didn't.

As usual the SP is blowing a gasket over nothing. Someone overheard a rumor and wanted to share. Had it been correct or if Johnson is no longer a Lion next season for whatever reason then I think the OP was more than justified.

I say bring the rumors and we will decide if they are horsespit or not.

I'm MOP and I approve this message.

Shocking news to be released tomorrow apparently.
what is your source?
Can't say. Hey he could be wrong, I don't wanna look like a total tool if it doesn't happen which I know I'm risking. But just watch tomorrow.
Too late, you are a tool.Doesnt even matter if you really do have a source, threads like this are just idiotic.
gtfo here man. If this is legit news with an inside source it absolutely belongs here and nothing idiotic about it. Yeah let's tell all the people with inside info they are idiots for posting.
Key word, IF. 0.000000001% chance that it was.

Stupid

As usual the SP is blowing a gasket over nothing. Someone overheard a rumor and wanted to share. Had it been correct or if Johnson is no longer a Lion next season for whatever reason then I think the OP was more than justified.

I say bring the rumors and we will decide if they are horsespit or not.

I'm MOP and I approve this message.
Exactly. The crap flowing toward the OP is really ridiculous.

OPTION 1: post the rumor(s), and allow every person that reads them to make his/her own choice about how much credence to give it.

OPTION 2: post no rumors, and know just as little as your leaguemates that do nothing but glance at the ESPN scrawl.

I'll take option 1. Anyone that would prefer option 2 is in the wrong forum.

Hateful posts are never in order for anyone.

A little sarcastic ribbing is generally in good fun and part of the SharkPool. Isn't that what we all do over beers with friends? The best part of the SharkPool is sharing and ribbing with peers who share our crazy FF addiction.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread