What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Calvin Johnson to retire - CONFIRMED (1 Viewer)

This whole thread seems like attention-w###ing.
I don't start threads for attention haha. Again it may be wrong, I was shocked myself. But he swears its happening.
You'll be a FBG god if it happens
Don't care about that. And I know it'll look stupid if he doesn't. But was told by someone who works for the lions that its happening so wanted to share with the group. Don't crucify me if its wrong haha
There were rumors around here about his knees being bone on bone. Given the way he has played this year I wouldn't doubt if there was something to that.

Yeah, his knees deteriorated really quickly the past few years. That's not to be unexpected with a guy his size, but I feel like he's aged 10 years over the past 3.

He definitely isn't going to last as long as people hoped after he had the near 2000yd season. I doubt he retires though, he has leverage with his cap number to either stay or move on to a better situation. Seems like he could have easily retired post game or announced that it was coming.

Deamon doesn't really start manybposts let alone go on fishing trips. Plus who would be apologetic if they were fishing. Most would be like "You'll see ####face and then you'll know who told you."

Just saw a headline saying "Megatron announces retirement." Almost #### myself - then realized it was fake.

So what happens when he doesnt retire tomorrow?
Deamon gets the Fisherman of the Year award?
Wasn't fishing. It's an actual source. But I admit he may be wrong or heard the wrong thing and will just say "sorry, was wrong" if he doesn't. Not sure what else?
Sorry Daemon. I was trying to make a funny, not impugn your integrity.

I actually appreciate your post, inasmuch as you were quite upfront about the type of source you had and your degree of confidence in it. No inention to insult.

Wasn't fishing. It's an actual source. But I admit he may be wrong or heard the wrong thing and will just say "sorry, was wrong" if he doesn't. Not sure what else?
Sorry Daemon. I was trying to make a funny, not impugn your integrity. I actually appreciate your post, inasmuch as you were quite upfront about the type of source you had and your degree of confidence in it. No inention to insult.
:thumbup:

Sorry Daemon. I was trying to make a funny, not impugn your integrity. I actually appreciate your post, inasmuch as you were quite upfront about the type of source you had and your degree of confidence in it. No inention to insult.
:thumbup:
Thanks. I'm legit not trying to fish or get attention here haha. I'm as skeptical and would be in as much shock as anyone if this happens. But the source is legit.

This would be interesting, of course.

It is hard to think an athlete who can make millions by just going through the motions would walk away but Calvin IS a different kind of guy and there are those Barry Snders types out there sometimes. But, again, hard to buy into when you see similar guys like Andre Johnson, who are MUCH more slowed down, still filling roles and making good money.

Can't wait to see.

15 targets in a meaningless game. Most since week 2. Eff you Caldwell, you giant wussified POS.
Caldwell doesn't call plays does he? what's this all about?
Caldwell is in charge. Caldwell's philosophy is if Calvin is double covered, do not throw to him. He's admitted it as has Stafford. Throw to someone else because they must be open, even if it is a dump off to the RB. It's the philosophy of a loser. It didn't happen this game because this game was meaningless.

15 targets in a meaningless game. Most since week 2. Eff you Caldwell, you giant wussified POS.
Caldwell is in charge. Caldwell's philosophy is if Calvin is double covered, do not throw to him. He's admitted it as has Stafford. Throw to someone else because they must be open, even if it is a dump off to the RB. It's the philosophy of a loser. It didn't happen this game because this game was meaningless.
that's a pretty sound philosophy. most coaches don't want their QB throwing to a player doubled, and normally someone else is open when a D is putting so much attention on 1 player.

football 101, yeah? still not sure what the problem is. Caldwell seems like a swell guy and that's sound football logic.

that's a pretty sound philosophy. most coaches don't want their QB throwing to a player doubled, and normally someone else is open when a D is putting so much attention on 1 player.

football 101, yeah? still not sure what the problem is. Caldwell seems like a swell guy and that's sound football logic.
Sure, for a loser it is. So far what has it got him?

2015 - 6-2 vs teams with losing records. 1-7 vs with winning records.

2014- 9-0 vs teams with losing records. 2-6 vs team with winning records.

See the problem with not taking chances? That's Caldwell. He's a loser that can beat other losers.

Numerous come from behind wins in 2014 vs other loser teams. Forget stepping on the gas and burying the other team. That's too advanced for his pea brain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sure, for a loser it is. So far what has it got him?

2015 - 6-2 vs teams with losing records. 1-7 vs with winning records.

See the problem with not taking chances? That's Caldwell. He's a loser that can beat other losers.
apparently it's sound football for a winner as well. It's just sound football. Caldwell is a guy who led his team to a Super Bowl as head coach and has won a Super Bowl as an OC/Play caller for a separate team too.

so no, I don't really see a problem with not throwing to your fantasy player despite his real life team.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's a pretty sound philosophy. most coaches don't want their QB throwing to a player doubled, and normally someone else is open when a D is putting so much attention on 1 player.football 101, yeah? still not sure what the problem is. Caldwell seems like a swell guy and that's sound football logic.
Sure, for a loser it is. So far what has it got him?2015 - 6-2 vs teams with losing records. 1-7 vs with winning records.

apparently it's sound football for a winner as well. It's just sound football. Caldwell is a guy who led his team to a Super Bowl as head coach and has won a Super Bowl as an OC/Play caller for a separate team too.so no, I don't really see a problem with not throwing to your fantasy player despite his real life team.
Yes, it can definitely be sound football when that works. It always makes sense when the weapons around you are in single coverage and making plays, by all means, go to them.

In real, not fantasy football, there are players who are open even when they are doubled. Take a look at the squeaky wheel, Sammy Watkins. The team is better when they started forcing the ball to him.

If it is your opinion that Caldwell is a great coach, I will not try to argue with you. I will just think you haven't watched many games he has coached this year. He plays scared.

I didn't say Caldwell is a great coach. just that if your only complaint is he doesn't force feed your fantasy wr the ball in double coverage it's not really a detriment. it's a pretty standard approach.

Yes, it can definitely be sound football when that works. It always makes sense when the weapons around you are in single coverage and making plays, by all means, go to them.

In real, not fantasy football, there are players who are open even when they are doubled. Take a look at the squeaky wheel, Sammy Watkins. The team is better when they started forcing the ball to him.

If it is your opinion that Caldwell is a great coach, I will not try to argue with you. I will just think you haven't watched many games he has coached this year. He plays scared.
He simply is in the same mold as Herm Edwards. We all know how that ended. It will end the same way for this guy. Here's the difference between this loser and Belicheck & Tomlin. They both will put their foot on your throat and press down until you are dead. Caldwell will let of, let you up and allow you to punch him right in the face.

BTW, Buffaloes, he didn't take a team to the SB. He rode Manning to a SB appearance.

I didn't say Caldwell is a great coach. just that if your only complaint is he doesn't force feed your fantasy wr the ball in double coverage it's not really a detriment. it's a pretty standard approach.
Like I said, it works against equally crappy teams It fails against the best. Their record over the last 2 years is proof. To be the best, you actually have to get your best guys involved...or you lose.

BusterTBronco said:
Hope the rumor is true. He needs to hang it up.
The guy has a few real bad weeks during fantasy playoffs and he needs to hang it up.

88-1214-9 for the season. Those aren't "needs to hang it up" numbers.

BusterTBronco said:
The guy has a few real bad weeks during fantasy playoffs and he needs to hang it up.88-1214-9 for the season. Those aren't "needs to hang it up" numbers.
Maybe he cares about his health as a human. Kinda the same reason I'm kinda wanting Romo to hang it up.

An intelligent, thoughtful person live Calvin is not going to retire the day after a season ends.

If he does retire -- which I doubt -- it will happen next summer.

An intelligent, thoughtful person live Calvin is not going to retire the day after a season ends.

If he does retire -- which I doubt -- it will happen next summer.
I think the opposite. If he's really considering retiring - which I highly doubt - I think he would do it sooner rather than later to give the team a chance an opportunity to replace him. Doing it in the summer would put the team in a bind.

dschuler said:
PlasmaDogPlasma said:
BusterTBronco said:
The guy has a few real bad weeks during fantasy playoffs and he needs to hang it up.88-1214-9 for the season. Those aren't "needs to hang it up" numbers.
Maybe he cares about his health as a human. Kinda the same reason I'm kinda wanting Romo to hang it up.
People who care about their health, by and large, don't get into the NFL. It takes a certain kind of crazy to play football professionally. There was a great story on what Jason Taylor- who was incredibly "healthy" by NFL standards, playing in 220 out of 224 possible regular season games in the 14 years from 1998 to 2011- had to go through on game days to suit up. http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/article1946293.html

One of the postgame shows had an interview with Calvin as he was leaving the field yesterday, it didn't sound like he was retiring at all but he did let it be known that he wanted Jim Caldwell back. Sorry at work so no link or whatever.

Sideline reporter asked "is this your last game in Detroit"? Calvin said "I love Detroit, I love playing for my teammates and for Coach Caldwell"

Sorry can't remember the exact wording but I had a strong impression that he was sending a message to the front office.

lod01 said:
cmv5 said:

He simply is in the same mold as Herm Edwards. We all know how that ended. It will end the same way for this guy. Here's the difference between this loser and Belicheck & Tomlin. They both will put their foot on your throat and press down until you are dead. Caldwell will let of, let you up and allow you to punch him right in the face.

BTW, Buffaloes, he didn't take a team to the SB. He rode Manning to a SB appearance.
What does that even mean? Did Dungy and Fox also ride Manning to SB appearances? And if Peyton is such a lock for the Super Bowl, why has he only been three times in 17 years?

I don't think that Caldwell is a great coach by any means, but I swear, the hate has gone way too far on the guy. He has five years of NFL coaching experience, and his only losing seasons have come when a) his QBs were Curtis Painter, Kerry Collins and Dan Orlovsky, and b) he went 7-9 and got jobbed on two of his losses. Oh, and he also won two SBs as an OC, including one where the team's turnaround correlated almost exactly with his hiring. But for some reason people always want to discount his accomplishments and focus on his failures.

lod01 said:
cmv5 said:

What does that even mean? Did Dungy and Fox also ride Manning to SB appearances? And if Peyton is such a lock for the Super Bowl, why has he only been three times in 17 years?

I don't think that Caldwell is a great coach by any means, but I swear, the hate has gone way too far on the guy. He has five years of NFL coaching experience, and his only losing seasons have come when a) his QBs were Curtis Painter, Kerry Collins and Dan Orlovsky, and b) he went 7-9 and got jobbed on two of his losses. Oh, and he also won two SBs as an OC, including one where the team's turnaround correlated almost exactly with his hiring. But for some reason people always want to discount his accomplishments and focus on his failures.
Caldwell arrived, everything was already in place. He didn't do anything to get them to the SB. He inherited a very good team and rode along. That's what it means. Dungy built the team.

If he was worth a crap he wouldn't have followed up his smoke and mirrors 2014 with a 7-9 season with the same team minus Suh.

lod01 said:
cmv5 said:

Caldwell arrived, everything was already in place. He didn't do anything to get them to the SB. He inherited a very good team and rode along. That's what it means. Dungy built the team.

If he was worth a crap he wouldn't have followed up his smoke and mirrors 2014 with a 7-9 season with the same team minus Suh.
Not quite the same team minus Suh.

lod01 said:
cmv5 said:

Right, because Dungy's teams had made the Super Bowl every year before he left.

If he was worth a crap he wouldn't have followed up his smoke and mirrors 2014 with a 7-9 season with the same team minus Suh, three of his top defensive players from the previous year.
FTFY

Dungy won the SB as a HC in Indy. This guy didn't. What about that?

So you lose 3 top defenders. Well, then you better put points on the board.

[FYI, I'd feel worse for hijacking this thread with a discussion of Caldwell if the OP's source hadn't apparently gotten it wrong re: Johnson's retirement.]

Dungy won the SB as a HC in Indy. This guy didn't. What about that?
Well now you're moving the goalposts. Who said Caldwell is a better coach than Dungy? I certainly don't think that (although if I were looking to make the case for Dungy's greatness as a HC, I certainly wouldn't focus on his postseason record). What I took issue with was your contention that leading a team to a Super Bowl somehow doesn't count if Peyton Manning is your QB, or if you do it in your first year as an NFL coach. In fact, I would argue that getting there in your first year is *more* impressive; it's only been done four other times. As a Washington fan, I still remember when Richie Petitbon took over after Gibbs' first retirement, and a team that was only a couple years removed from a SB win completely tanked.

The NFL is far too competitive for any team to win on autopilot, and any coach who makes it all the way to the Super Bowl (after a 14-2 season, no less) must have done something right.

lod01 said:
cmv5 said:

He simply is in the same mold as Herm Edwards. We all know how that ended. It will end the same way for this guy. Here's the difference between this loser and Belicheck & Tomlin. They both will put their foot on your throat and press down until you are dead. Caldwell will let of, let you up and allow you to punch him right in the face.BTW, Buffaloes, he didn't take a team to the SB. He rode Manning to a SB appearance.

Caldwell's critics can (rightfully) point toward his record as a college head coach as well. It was 26-63 and he had one winning season (7-5) in eight years. Those are numbers difficult to dispute.

If this WAS going to happen, would we hear about a press conference announcement pretty soon?

Users who are viewing this thread