What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 FBG, 172 to 1 Beatles Countdown 1-25 lists... And 173 to 1 Countdown from 1-64 lists! (3 Viewers)

Sorry about that.   Instead of copying it out of our write up doc, I cut and pasted it to here and it lost the links (formatting strikes again!)

The cool thing though is that I copied the FINISHED POST above from here to the final word doc and it KEPT ALL THE COLORS AND LINKS HERE!!  (well, he YT link I posted LOL)

FYI to all..... when we are done, I will share with all a link to a google doc that will have all 172 posts in order from 1 to 172.  And now with links!

I recognize that these are words from my native tongue, but I'm not sure of their meaning in this sequence.  But THANK YOU very much for all the work you're doing on that.

I recognize that these are words from my native tongue, but I'm not sure of their meaning in this sequence.  But THANK YOU very much for all the work you're doing on that.

Speaking of native tongue, current shtick around the 4 household is to accuse each other of speaking in our native tongues.  We were watching curling, and one of the commentators said about the Italian mixed-doubles team, "Now they're speaking to each other in their native tongue," which struck both of us as :lmao:  

:maybeyouhadtobethere:

And could the soundboard have the screeching mixed A LITTLE BIT HIGHER?

One of the most impressive feats of the Beatles was somehow to make music at all with all the screaming and screeching around them.  I don't know how they kept time (yes I do - Ringo!) or sang harmonies or anything when they couldn't hear each other at all.

Timing question:  Getz suggested posting as many as 10 per day of these low-ranked songs and then slowing down.  I've talked him down to five, to allow for discussion, but now I'm wondering if his instinct was correct to do more.  What do you guys think?

too late?

Speaking of native tongue, current shtick around the 4 household is to accuse each other of speaking in our native tongues.  We were watching curling, and one of the commentators said about the Italian mixed-doubles team, "Now they're speaking to each other in their native tongue," which struck both of us as :lmao:  

:maybeyouhadtobethere:
:lmao:  in their quaint gibberish

One of the most impressive feats of the Beatles was somehow to make music at all with all the screaming and screeching around them.  I don't know how they kept time (yes I do - Ringo!) or sang harmonies or anything when they couldn't hear each other at all.

Later in their live career, they were phoning it in, but early in 1963 and 1964, they were still a really tight live group even without the fold back speakers.  Ringo kept them together, but they still couldn't hear for harmonies and such.

Pretty amazing.  That's thousands of hours together on stage...

Timing question:  Getz suggested posting as many as 10 per day of these low-ranked songs and then slowing down.  I've talked him down to five, to allow for discussion, but now I'm wondering if his instinct was correct to do more.  What do you guys think?

5 is good - it's already moving too fast for me.  My :2cents:

You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)
2022 Ranking: 171T
2022 Lists: 1
2022 Points: 1
Ranked Highest by: @wikkidpissah
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 138T/1/1
I have an almost limitless supply of Beatles covers . . . when I say IN THE THOUSANDS, that is not hyperbole. They range from very creative, to excellent, to tribute band wannabees, to the absurd, to absolute trainwrecks. Here's 20 from the LOWEST ranked song.

Fab Four Cover Band, Overboard, Get BackLonley Hearts Club PlayersHenry Lim and His String Quartet, Dubcheck, Apple Jam, LexicoBossacucanovaDanny McEvoy, Mike Hicks, Dallas Graham, We're Not RomansFausto Ramos, Carlos Bell Band, Joe Peppercorn, Norm Reid, Rangzen, TvPro BandTsuguling

I don't expect people to listen to them all, but maybe people will click on one or two on occasion. It just goes to show how universally beloved The Beatles are.

Next Monday 2/21 to Thur 2/24, I'm going to Vegas and won't be able to post much.  So If I post more than five now, that's why....

You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)
Ranked Highest by: @wikkidpissah

Getz: How drunk were they when they wrote this one?

Krista4

My 2019 ranking:  176

2019 write-up:

You Know My Name (Look Up the Number) (Single, 1970)

I understand a lot of people hate this song, and in terms of "noise" songs a lot would put Mr. Kite above it, but...this song cracks me up. It always makes me laugh with its madness, and I'm fascinated every time I hear it.  One of the most bizarre facts about this to me is that it was the b-side to "Let It Be."  I can just imagine some sweet human buying that single and then freaking out over WTF was on the other side.

(Quick aside:  I've noticed that @DaVinci always mentions this song as his favorite, which I've always assumed was sarcasm, but I'd love to hear his thoughts on it either way.)

One of the main appeals to me of this song is that they sound like they're having such a damn great time.  And in 1967 (recorded three years before its release, btw), that's notable.  I'm also a fan of the Beatles and post-Beatles songs that sound like different songs mushed together - see, e.g., Band on the Run, You Never Give Me Your Money, etc.  Obviously I'm not saying this is on par with those, but I do love the songs that move from one segment to another, one tempo and feel to another, but somehow work, and the four-or-is-it-five separate parts of this keep me interested along the way.  I dunno; a lot of people think this one is nonsense, which I couldn't argue with, but hey, at one point Paul said that this was his favorite song of theirs, so I can't be completely off, right?  Paul's pretty weird, though.  Regardless, it's my favorite song that features a burp at the end.

Fun facts:  one of the many crazy sound effects on this song is Mal Evans either, depending upon what you believe, running a spade through some gravel or shaking a bag of some gravel.  In any case, gravel was a supporting vocal here.    Also, listen for Brian Jones of the Stones on sax.

Mr. krista:  "This is better if you imagine Muppets doing it."

Suggested cover:  After typing four earnest paragraphs about this, and thereafter checking the notes to find Mr. krista's comments (which are copied in full), I'm laughing too hard to look for a cover.  Maybe later.  (And when I just reminded him of his comment from months ago, I can't get him to stop singing this to me in an Animals-from-the-Muppets voice.)

2022 Supplement:  I still love this song, and it still makes me laugh, especially the lounge-lizard “Slaggers” part.  To my point above regarding the fact they sounded like they were having fun, John has described it as “a piece of unfinished music that I turned into a comedy record with Paul.  Believe it or not, this song was actually a John idea:  "I was waiting for him in his house and I saw the phone book was on the piano with 'You know the name, look up the number.' That was like a logo and I just changed it. It was going to be a Four Tops kind of song – the chord changes are like that – but it never developed and we made a joke of it."

Fun fact:  Frank Black of the Pixies has named this his favorite Beatles tune, citing the very British sense of humo(u)r and the “soulful, Ray Charles-like walk.”

Guido Merkins

I read an interview with Paul once where he listed You Know My Name (Look Up the Number) as one his favorite Beatles tracks.  When the interviewer said something to the effect of “Dear God, Why?”, Paul commented about the memories.  A guy like John Lennon coming into the studio saying “I’ve got a new song called You Know My Name (Look Up the Number), and Paul saying “well, what are the words?”  And John saying “those ARE the words.” 

In reality, the Beatles always like off the wall B sides and used them in their stage act.  Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones showed up in the studio with a sax instead of a guitar, so they let him play sax on the record.  I love Paul’s lounge lizard voice.  “Dennis O’Bell”, actually Dennis O’Dell was a producer on A Hard Day’s Night and had worked with John on “How I Won the War” was the name of Paul’s lounge lizard character in the song.  John’s zany overly British accent near the end.  I also love how Ringo goes effortlessly into that jazzy music closer to the end.  

Released as the B Side to Let It Be, You Know My Name (Look Up the Number) is strictly for novelty purposes, but it is quite funny and when you think that this is the same band that gave us Tomorrow Never Knows, yeah it’s quite astonishing.  

This would have been in my friend George's top 5 but alas I never got his list (we've been busy at hospitals & now hospice of late.) Which is a shame bc if this is any indication he would have had some wild ones in there.

I'm with Mr. Krista, this would be sublime if it were covered by the Muppets.

Next Monday 2/21 to Thur 2/24, I'm going to Vegas and won't be able to post much.  So If I post more than five now, that's why....

This is not the kind of thread dedication I'm looking for, bub.

(Also I'll be in Arizona apparently not attending spring training games March 2-6.)

Please don't speed it up much (or at all), though.  If even one person says it's too fast, that's no good.  I want people to be to participate more.

I was looking for something in my solo Beatles thread and came across my ranking of the Beatles' wives.  Since it's Valentine's Day, let's copy them here!  (Also trying to keep otb occupied.)

This is my wife count-up, from least objectionable to most horrible:

The Awesome Tier:

9.  Olivia (met George 1974, married 1978) – Super-impressive woman who has launched and/or run significant charitable endeavors while also serving as a legitimate film producer, music producer, and author.  Helped George get clean and sober after his massive drug and alcohol issues in the mid-70s, leading to his renaissance as a musician.  But she tops the best-wife list for being a total badass who saved George’s life by fighting off the guy who had broken into George’s home and repeatedly stabbed him in 1999.  Dayum.

8.  Barbara (met Ringo 1980, married 1981) – Had plenty of her own stuff going on before meeting Ringo, so it seems more a marriage of equals.  She helped Ringo by joining him in rehab in the late 80s, and they’ve been clean (and also vegetarians) ever since.  Seems like a cool person and has the longest marriage on this list.

The Perfectly Fine Tier:

7.  Nancy (met Paul 2007, married, 2011) – I don’t know much about her, but she seems nice enough and a smart lady who had her own stuff going for her before she met Paul.

6.  Cynthia (met John 1958, married 1962, divorced 1968) – She was a smart lady, too, and deserved a better marriage fate than what John gave her.  She slips one notch below Nancy only because she always looked miserable in photos, and I think she should have just gotten out before being humiliated in the whole Yoko thing.

The Cheating with Your Best Friend Tier:

Let me be clear that they were probably all cheating, as were the Beatles themselves, but these were egregious.

5.  Maureen (met Ringo 1962, married 1965, divorced 1975) – Maureen seems overall nice enough.  She got along well with all the other wives and the other Beatles, continuing to have relationships with them after the divorce, which says something good about her.  But she cheated on Ringo with his best friend George, which just isn’t cool.

4.  Pattie (met George 1964, married 1966, divorced 1977) – Did I mention how uncool it is to cheat on your guy with his best friend?  At least Maureen did it with George, which I get, but Pattie cheated on George with the monumentally icky Eric Clapton (whom she later married), showing not just a dearth of loyalty but an absence of good taste.  In addition, she seems like an empty suit, or whatever the female equivalent is, and spent a good deal of her life trying to trade on her fame as a rock-star wife.  Bleh.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Awful Tier:

3. Linda (met Paul 1967, married 1969, died 1998) – Dour at worst, bland at best.  Every interview I’ve seen of her makes her seem so haughty and unpleasant.  Put in a band despite having zero musical talent.  Looked like a little boy.  A not particularly cute little boy.  I don’t understand this relationship, but I guess it worked for them, so she gets some points for truly seeming like the love of Paul’s life.

2.  Yoko (met John 1966, married 1969) – Broke up the Beatles.*  Complete weirdo who kept John from his friends and family.  Carried on an affair with him quite publicly while he was still “with” Cynthia.  Plus there was the shrieking.  I don’t need to tell any of you this stuff.  Tempted to have her below Linda on the horrible scale because at least she had some talent, but what the hell was with that bed in the studio during the Abbey Road sessions.  C’mon.

*I know, I know.  But let's go with it.

Next Monday 2/21 to Thur 2/24, I'm going to Vegas and won't be able to post much. 
Boy, you’re gonna carry that weight 😁

8.  Barbara (met Ringo 1980, married 1981) – Had plenty of her own stuff going on before meeting Ringo, so it seems more a marriage of equals.  She helped Ringo by joining him in rehab in the late 80s, and they’ve been clean (and also vegetarians) ever since.  Seems like a cool person and has the longest marriage on this list.
Ringo might still be a caveman without her.

And the one who truly deserves a tier all her own, as by far the worst Beatle wife...

1.  Heather (met Paul 1999, married 2002, divorced 2008) – This is not just the most despicable Beatle wife, but a truly despicable human being. Being a gold-digger is not even her worse quality…no, that would be being a pathological liar who actively tries to ruin people’s lives.  Some pre-Paul lowlights:

-        Claimed that when she was eight, she and her neighbor were kidnapped and sexually assaulted by a pool attendant who then committed suicide, a story that was quickly confirmed by the neighbor as being wholly untrue, leading to a lawsuit where Heather ended up paying damages.

-        Claimed she ran away and was homeless living under Waterloo station at 15, which is disputed by her family and school records.

-        Claimed to have been fired from a job in a jewelry store, but the owner says she was never employed there but instead came in and stole stuff from him, for which she was put on probation when charges were filed.  She also told the owner her very-alive father was dead.

-        Entered into a relationship with a guy who bought her some boobs and opened a modeling agency for her, which she rewarded by embarking on a two-year affair as the mistress of another rich dude.  She then proposed to the first dude, who agreed to marry her only if she would get psychological help for her pathological lying.  She blamed her lying on having been trained by her father to do so, but got counseling so that this guy would married her.

-        While married to this poor dumb *******, started an affair with a ski instructor while on a holiday paid by said PDB.  PDB later advised Paul to “run for your life” from Heather, advice sadly did not take to heart.  After her divorce from PDB, she was engaged at least three more times before meeting Paul.  After breaking off one engagement, she told people variously it was because her fiancé was gay or that he was an MI6 agent sent to stop her anti-landmine work.

-        Impersonated a newspaper journalist with the same name by providing copies of the other Heather’s work as her own, leading to her landing a job as a TV presenter.

-        Claimed to have been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.  (Could be true but has been judged highly doubtful.)

-        Claimed her mother had nearly lost a leg in a car crash, leaving only a flap hanging on the bone.  Never happened, according to Heather’s stepfather, who called her “a very confused woman for whom reality and fantasy have become blurred.”

Paul-wise, she was a similar joy.  Some Paul-and-beyond-era lowlights:

-        Claimed that Paul’s daughter Stella had once issued a press release about how much she liked Heather, something that had not happened.  Later when the relationship with Paul broke down, Heather claimed it was Stella’s doing, because she was jealous.

-        Claimed to have been asked to run for Parliament by all the main political parties, including Tony Blair and a “Lord McDonald,” who didn’t exist.

-        Cancelled a meeting with Bill Clinton because she feared it would be seen as an endorsement of Al Gore that would influence the US presidential election.

-        Claimed to have won an award called “Outstanding Young Person of the Year” by the British Chamber of Commerce, an award that doesn’t exist.

-        Claimed Paul had been constantly drunk and had stabbed her with a wine glass, stabbed her pushed her into a table, and pushed her into a bathtub while she was pregnant, but that she had remained the dutiful wife who took care of everything at home.  These claims were in conflict with Heather’s own prior writings.

-        The judge in their divorce proceedings praised Paul’s candor and reasonableness, but had this to say about Heather:  “Having watched and listened to her give evidence, having studied the documents, and having given in her favour every allowance for the enormous strain she must have been under (and in conducting her own case) I am driven to the conclusion that much of her evidence, both written and oral, was not just inconsistent and inaccurate but also less than candid.”  Heather responded to this by pouring a jug of water over Paul’s lawyer’s head.

-        Claimed constantly to receive death threats and called the police out to her place so often that the police chief referred to her as “the boy who cried wolf.”

-        After the divorce, publicly pledged to give a large portion of her divorce settlement to Adopt-a-Minefield, but gave them zero.

-        Was asked to leave the 2014 Paralympic Games in Sochi due to her behavior toward officials.

The Perfectly Fine Tier:

6.  Cynthia (met John 1958, married 1962, divorced 1968) – She was a smart lady, too, and deserved a better marriage fate than what John gave her.  She slips one notch below Nancy only because she always looked miserable in photos, and I think she should have just gotten out before being humiliated in the whole Yoko thing.

look, i love John the musician to the Nth, but it's no wonder Cyn looked miserable - the abuse was inexcusable, let's not sugarcoat this. 

here to celebrate the catalog, sure ... but let's be honest here. 

look, i love John the musician to the Nth, but it's no wonder Cyn looked miserable - the abuse was inexcusable, let's not sugarcoat this. 

here to celebrate the catalog, sure ... but let's be honest here. 

According to Cyn, John slapped her once, before they got married.  She left him.  He apologized she took him back and he never did it again.

I'm not excusing this, but there is a lot of stuff since the Goldman book that makes John out to be a serial wife beater.  I'm not sure that's true.  Yoko has never said that and either did Cyn......

3. Linda (met Paul 1967, married 1969, died 1998) – Dour at worst, bland at best.  Every interview I’ve seen of her makes her seem so haughty and unpleasant.  Put in a band despite having zero musical talent.  Looked like a little boy.  A not particularly cute little boy.  I don’t understand this relationship, but I guess it worked for them, so she gets some points for truly seeming like the love of Paul’s life.
Interesting. Not surprisingly, I didnt read your write up on these prior to now.  (New Year's resolution #9), but I thought she looked gorgeous in the Get Back videos.  I had never really seen her prior to the Wings days and never thought too much of her appearance from what I saw then, but she was quite striking in 1969 and I'm not into dudes.  NTTAWWT 

According to Cyn, John slapped her once, before they got married.  She left him.  He apologized she took him back and he never did it again.

I'm not excusing this, but there is a lot of stuff since the Goldman book that makes John out to be a serial wife beater.  I'm not sure that's true.  Yoko has never said that and either did Cyn......

abuse is not just physical. 

And the one who truly deserves a tier all her own, as by far the worst Beatle wife...

1.  Heather (met Paul 1999, married 2002, divorced 2008) – This is not just the most despicable Beatle wife, but a truly despicable human being. Being a gold-digger is not even her worse quality….....
You should just open up and  tell us how you really feel about her

Interesting. Not surprisingly, I didnt read your write up on these prior to now.  (New Year's resolution #9), but I thought she looked gorgeous in the Get Back videos.  I had never really seen her prior to the Wings days and never thought too much of her appearance from what I saw then, but she was quite striking in 1969 and I'm not into dudes.  NTTAWWT 

I thought she was pretty in Get Back as well.  Maybe she just didn't photograph well, which would be ironic.

According to John (1980 Playboy Interview), "I was a cruel to women....I was a hitter..."

which does not suggest singular.

I've always felt Cynthia preferred to protect his image and not do further damage to Julian, who was quite bitter for years. He has since made his peace that his dad was a complicated guy.

I wrote this a few days ago on another board

Lennon was, by a good margin, the most recognizable Beatle, the most opinionated, the most scrutinized. the other lads had their own tales of infidelity, domestic violence, drug usage. John’s played out on the most public stage.

he had the must challenging upbringing. the other boys might do something mischievous. Ringo was in a tough section. Johnny would make you steal something to prove you belonged in the gang. whatever it was, he had to push it a little farther, had a little more edge, the humor was more biting. he could also exhibit an enormous capacity for empathy. Harrison found God - or a version of deity he was comfortable with - but maybe John searched even harder (fruitlessly.) in todays vernacular, he was a little bit extra. and amazing. and everyone wanted to be…if not like him, near him.

I've always enjoyed Flying. I first heard it before I knew it was a Beatles song. One of the radio stations I listened to as a teen played a bloc of psychedelic music every evening, and they used this as the intro music for the segment. It's really fun for what it is. 

I'm surprised that Money is this low given the greatness of John's vocal, but I wasn't interested in including covers, and I guess a lot of others weren't as well. Plus anyone who was might be more inclined to go with Twist and Shout. 

Flying
Ranked Highest by: @Man of Constant Sorrow
More interesting than the last batch.

minusbaby, Secret Machines, The ResidentsTim Ouimette Big Band, Joe Goldmark, Frank Sidebottom, Yellow Matter Custard, Bud ShankShockabillyScrabbelEternal Dreamers, Duke LevineThe Hit Co.Yutaka Mogi, Sounds Nice, Herbie MannRogério DupratEmmanuel SantarromanaBen Perowsky Quartet, The Analogues

And let me preemptively agree that, yes, I do need to get out more and get a life.

But how much he did that is also in dispute.  He wasn't a great husband or even a good husband.  That doesn't make him a serial abuser....
It is interesting that Ringo has admitted to beating his wife severely, and it's never brought up. Jahn beet wif is super common throughout the internet.

This Boy
2022 Ranking: 169
2022 Points: 3
Ranked Highest by: krista(Worth)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: NR (Not Rated in 2019)

Getz comments:  This is the first of FORTY songs ranked in 2022, that were not ranked in 2019. It's going to shock you what was left off from back then.
 @krista4had several friends and friends of friends send her lists. That's who Worth is!!  Excellent live video from 1963. Love John's vocals and the harmonies on this one. (ETA: As you will see, none of us read the others write ups before we write ourselves)

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  85

2019 write-up: 

This Boy (single, 1963)

Glorious harmonies on the verses broken up with that sizzling John vocal on the middle eight.  NufcedTM.

Mr. krista:  "That’s good.  Not my favorite.  It’s a’ight. The probably had to have a slow number for the dances."

Suggested cover:  No one can do those harmonies the way the Beatles did, but I'll post Sean Lennon, Rufus Wainwright, and Robert Schwartzman just because it's nice seeing Sean do that solo (though Rufus could have done it better).

2022 Supplement:  Neither my write-up nor my ranking did justice to this song in 2019.  I actually put it in the mix for consideration for my top 25 this year, though it ended up in the low (Binky, high) 50s and still didn’t make the cut.  These are probably in my top three favorite Beatles harmonies, and These are probably in my top three favorite Beatles harmonies, and their best execution of trying to emulate Smokey Robinson and the Miracles.  John’s solo parts are, as I said in 2019, sizzling.  So full of emotion – love and sorrow in equal parts.  Check out this performance of the song at their second performance on the Ed Sullivan song:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BdNrReDhGs  How do they do that?!?!  All hunched around the same microphone, playing those beautiful guitar parts while harmonizing so intricately?  I’m sorry that this wonderful song was relegated to a B-side in its release and to the 80s in my initial rankings. 

Fun fact:  As in the Ed Sullivan clip above, in the recording of this song for the album, at their request the three non-Ringo Beatles harmonized while clustered around one microphone.

Guido Merkins

Only the Beatles could do something this good, with those harmonies and that shouting middle and throw it away as a B side to I Want to Hold Your Hand, but that’s what they did with This Boy.

This Boy is another one that music critic William Mann loved pointing out the “pandiatonic clusters.”  I’m not musically educated enough to know what that means, but I do know that the track has a great melody and a great propulsive guitar part.  It was a John song that he claims was trying to be a Smokey Robinson type song.  

As said above, the main feature is those harmonies and that blistering John vocal in the middle.  This is one of the songs they did on the Ed Sullivan show, John Paul and George all on one mic (good bit of showmanship there.) 

This Boy was used in the film A Hard Day’s Night and given the title of “Ringo’s Theme” in instrumental form.  Apparently Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin fame played on that session for the film score, although I’m not sure he played lead.  Anyway, in the film, it’s the scene where Ringo goes off by himself, looking depressed, which people gave him credit for in acting circles.  In reality, there was no acting going on.  In Ringo’s words he “felt like ####” because he had partaken of too much drink the night before so they just filmed him walking around looking downtrodden.

But how much he did that is also in dispute.  He wasn't a great husband or even a good husband.  That doesn't make him a serial abuser....

look, i answered directly to the quote that said "she always looked miserable" because she had her ####### reasons for that look, tyvm. 

also, it's real cool of you to be the arbiter of what does/doesn't constitute abuse - good to know. 

Apologies in advance to @simey, who loves Linda McCartney.
:lol:  I don't love her, but I do not think she is the bland broad you or OH think she is. She was a good photographer, an animal activist, she liked her vegetables (wrote vegan/vegetarian cookbooks). She tried to be a musician. Even if she wasn't that good, she gave it her best. She wasn't just Paul's wife and the mother of his kids, she was his true best friend. Be nice to Linda!

anyway, enough on that, nothing new will be unearthed and we all have a view (feel free to share yours), so I'm out on that discussion having said my piece.

@krista4

It would take months for a comprehensive ranking but could we get a hottest gf/muse category.

OK, actually I just want an excuse to talk about what a smokeshow Jane Asher was. Ignoring of course that t's creepy all these guys were dating 16 and 17 year olds....

I think it is sweet that Jane and Paul have remained cordial friends, at least at public events they seem chummy. I'm sure there's a lot of eye rolling and sighing if the old days ever come up.

Users who are viewing this thread