What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 FBG, 172 to 1 Beatles Countdown 1-25 lists... And 173 to 1 Countdown from 1-64 lists! (4 Viewers)

Ha. Ok, thanks. I doubt I'll be able to keep up with 5 songs a day, but might chime in here or there and then will post my entire list at the end. 

Since we started with "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)" I'll comment on that. Ranked 203 out of 205 for me. Which is kind of weird because I love songs that have multiple different parts. You will see some of the Beatles songs with this feature VERY high on my list. I mean, my music tastes in some respects gravitate toward jam bands that have an entire set that is just one long song with lots of different parts. 

Here the noise and the silliness just get to me. But the real reason it is ranked this so low is disappointment with the end. The sax solo just leaves me underwhelmed. I mean it is Brian Jones on sax closing out a Beatles song! I always have such high hopes for a killer ending as I work my way through the non-sense in the middle, expecting Jones to just rip it and it always strikes me as kind of meh. It's fine, nothing wrong with it, but I always leave with the feeling that it wasn't worth sitting through the rest of the song for a slightly disappointing ending. 

This is great stuff.  I hope you'll pop in with your thoughts as often as you can.

The Smithereens have a boatload of Beatles covers. Most of these are pretty straight forward. I miss the Brad Delp version of Beatlejuice. RIP.

Sean Lennon, Smithereens, Coma, The Typhoons, Suburban Skies, Bruce Roberts, Billy Lee RileyLos Escarabajos, Cactus BlossomsBrady HarrisCaptain SmartypantsLitto NebbiaRio ReiserJoe BataanMike PachelliMorrissey and MarshallKeely Smith, Scott McCarl, Two of Us, Beatlejuice

Not a fan of most of the Smithereens covers, though one or two ended up on my "suggested covers" lists.

I'm older than dirt, and I was a fan when they were a band originally. The initial band put out 5 albums and a greatest hits album. I tapped out after that. They reformed with a bunch of other blokes.

John Waite is sort of a behind closed doors fave of mine between The Babys, solo, and Bad English. No one knows I sit in my office and put his stuff on shuffle play some days.

We're the same age, and I loved the Babys and Waite way back when.

Right now I’m high and I’m practicing it and I’m thinking why do I want to ruin this perfectly lovely song.  Both guitar and singing are awful.

But you have great hair!  :heart:   Seriously, I loved your covers in the 2019 thread.  Can't wait to hear which one you're working up this time.

Guido Merkins

Only the Beatles could do something this good, with those harmonies and that shouting middle and throw it away as a B side to I Want to Hold Your Hand, but that’s what they did with This Boy.

This Boy is another one that music critic William Mann loved pointing out the “pandiatonic clusters.”  I’m not musically educated enough to know what that means, but I do know that the track has a great melody and a great propulsive guitar part.  It was a John song that he claims was trying to be a Smokey Robinson type song.  

As said above, the main feature is those harmonies and that blistering John vocal in the middle.  This is one of the songs they did on the Ed Sullivan show, John Paul and George all on one mic (good bit of showmanship there.) 

This Boy was used in the film A Hard Day’s Night and given the title of “Ringo’s Theme” in instrumental form.  Apparently Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin fame played on that session for the film score, although I’m not sure he played lead.  Anyway, in the film, it’s the scene where Ringo goes off by himself, looking depressed, which people gave him credit for in acting circles.  In reality, there was no acting going on.  In Ringo’s words he “felt like ####” because he had partaken of too much drink the night before so they just filmed him walking around looking downtrodden.
@Guido Merkinslove your contribution! Glad you are here!

goes without saying, no slight to krista or Getz, but I have previously waxed appreciative of their love labors.

Not A Second Time
2022 Ranking: 167T
2022 Lists: 1
2022 Points: 4
Ranked Highest by: @otb_lifer
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 102/1/16
Some (most?) of these border between awful and intolerable. But that's the nature of covers. Why some of these folks thought this was a good idea . . . who knows?

Pretenders, Robert PalmerR. Stevie Moore, Magic Arm, The Ergs, Children Medieval BandTerje RypdalLos Escarabajos & Alvarortega, SmithereensLitto Nebbia, Mike DoleMemoryhouse, stin, Plastic Shadow, Diego, EarwigsThe SperglordsPaton/James, Jesus OldmanBanda Pra Lá De Dalí, Chris Anderson

Tonight, I'm writing up Beatles-thread supplements, while comparing U2 songs so I can submit rankings to @John Maddens Lunchbox, while watching the Olympics, while pondering my choices in the food draft.  (Later I'll also be eating our traditional Valentine's Day meal of Lou Malnati's heart-shaped deep-dish pizza.)  Any references in my write-ups to "The Edge," "monobob," or "xiao long bao" will be purely accidental.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw them in New Haven in 2010, actually. I picked up a seven inch that got warped because I left it in my glove box. The Babies are the Vivian Girls offshoot, right? Yeah, it's Cassie Ramone. 

I think you and Anarchy99 are talking about different bands, though. 
We definitely are, I just forgot for a second how they spelled it.  My excitement was short-lived.

I bet that live show was a keeper?  I went through every song on Our House on the Hill and just couldn't believe I'd never heard of them.  Love that sound.

ETA:  I forget who the dude half of the indy super band was, but he's got some good solo stuff as well.  Added several of his songs to my Spotify too, but totally different vibe.

ETA2:  Yeah, Cassie Ramone and Kevin Morby.

Some (most?) of these border between awful and intolerable. But that's the nature of covers. Why some of these folks thought this was a good idea . . . who knows?

Pretenders, Robert PalmerR. Stevie Moore, Magic Arm, The Ergs, Children Medieval BandTerje RypdalLos Escarabajos & Alvarortega, SmithereensLitto Nebbia, Mike DoleMemoryhouse, stin, Plastic Shadow, Diego, EarwigsThe SperglordsPaton/James, Jesus OldmanBanda Pra Lá De Dalí, Chris Anderson

Robert Palmer is one I recommended in my write-up.  That's a fun one.

Tonight, I'm writing up Beatles-thread supplements, while comparing U2 songs so I can submit rankings to JML, while watching the Olympics, while pondering my choices in the food draft.  (Later I'll also be eating our traditional Valentine's Day meal of Lou Malnati's heart-shaped deep-dish pizza.)  Any references in my write-ups to "The Edge," "monobob," or "xiao long bao" will be purely accidental.
Tonight, I'll be eating a veggie cheeseburger on ciabatta, no tomato.

What I'll really be doing is trying to figure out how to add more spice to my Led Zeppelin write ups since all my readers migrated to this thread instead.

We definitely are, I just forgot for a second how they spelled it.  My excitement was short-lived.

I bet that live show was a keeper?  I went through every song on Our House on the Hill and just couldn't believe I'd never heard of them.  Love that sound.
It was good. They opened for Titus Andronicus. You're on to it: I liked the Babies better. I really liked Vivian Girls back when that lo-fi/fuzz Brooklyn indie/punk sound was big. I wasn't even trying to be hip like I think a lot of people were. I just dug it. I had heard of the term "Vivian Girls" through ####ed Up's usage of it in a song. When the band came around, I figured I'd listen to them. "Everything Goes Wrong" is a really good album. That was 2009. By 2010, there was the Babies, who were a side project of Cassie from Viv. 

Not a fan of most of the Smithereens covers, though one or two ended up on my "suggested covers" lists.
I was a fan of the Smithereens own songs. They went a bit overboard with all their Beatles covers. I have very fond memories of spending a day with them. They played a rib fest here in town. They were supposed to play an afternoon set and an evening set. They ended up playing a morning set, an afternoon set, and an evening set. In between all that, they set up shop on the side somewhere and hung out with fans playing acoustic covers, took requests of their songs or anyone else's, and they ended up playing for close to 12 hours. A bunch of cool dudes. 

What I'll really be doing is trying to figure out how to add more spice to my Led Zeppelin write ups since this all of my readers all migrated to this thread instead.

This thread is fresh and new right now; it'll calm down.  Your top 20 is going to be must-read posting.

I was a fan of the Smithereens own songs. They went a bit overboard with all their Beatles covers. I have very fond memories of spending a day with them. They played a rib fest here in town. They were supposed to play an afternoon set and an evening set. They ended up playing a morning set, an afternoon set, and an evening set. In between all that, they set up shop on the side somewhere and hung out with fans playing acoustic covers, took requests of their songs or anyone else's, and they ended up playing for close to 12 hours. A bunch of cool dudes. 

I enjoy some of their originals as well.  And I don't really mean to knock their covers so much, but they didn't do much original with them.  I think they could have done more but instead went by-the-book.

There will be a new one tonight or tomorrow morning. None of the next 3 Zep songs are on your list.
I'm not a hardcore Led Zep fan, but I have always liked them, and have a lot of fond memories attached to them. I'm worried your readers may see you as a turncoat. There are whispers out there that you may have been seduced by the Fab Four. 

It was good. They opened for Titus Andronicus. You're on to it: I liked the Babies better. I really liked Vivian Girls back when that lo-fi/fuzz Brooklyn indie/punk sound was big. I wasn't even trying to be hip like I think a lot of people were. I just dug it. I had heard of the term "Vivian Girls" through ####ed Up's usage of it in a song. When the band came around, I figured I'd listen to them. "Everything Goes Wrong" is a really good album. That was 2009. By 2010, there was the Babies, who were a side project of Cassie from Viv. 
I just blew through the EGW album you mention and the Babies sound is way more hers than his, but I think he's probably the one that took some of the blur out of her stuff and gave it a little more space -- which I like better.

Whatever, cool to finally come across someone who knows of these guys!

I'm older than dirt, and I was a fan when they were a band originally. The initial band put out 5 albums and a greatest hits album. I tapped out after that. They reformed with a bunch of other blokes.

John Waite is sort of a behind closed doors fave of mine between The Babys, solo, and Bad English. No one knows I sit in my office and put his stuff on shuffle play some days.
We're the same age, and I loved the Babys and Waite way back when.

This is why these threads are great.

John Waite is one of those artists where people like more of his stuff than they realize. "Oh yea, that one..."

What I'll really be doing is trying to figure out how to add more spice to my Led Zeppelin write ups since all my readers migrated to this thread instead.
sidenote: I am a notoriously late adopter; I didn't read krista's Beatle thread until this year. I love me some Zeppelin (teenager in the 80s, so I guess standard issue, along with Frampton Comes Alive). I just started reading your thread- You are killing it, and I will be hippling the crap out of that thread in good time.

You, sir, are a true nerd (which is the highest sort of compliment I can give to people whose passion and intelligence intertwine so magnificently).

You, sir, are a true nerd (which is the highest sort of compliment I can give to people whose passion and intelligence intertwine so magnificently).
I am just getting dinner on the stove and sitting down for the next LZ write up. But since you brought this up . . . My wife and I were chatting the other night. The quick back story is our kids all played sports growing up, we are now empty nesters, and now have no kids sporting events to go to. Given the number of kids we have and their ages, that amounted to 20 years of stuff to go to. Anyway, my wife was saying we had way more fun going to their games and tournaments then if they were a bunch of band geeks. I mentioned to her that I was an orchestra geek (played cello and stand up bass), string quartet geek, and drama club play in the orchestra / band geek. Her response was, "Exactly." Not sure what she would have done if our kids were a lot less athletic . . .

Coming in late today - didn't realize it started. 

Surprised to see Money so early. Even more surprised to see I was the only one who voted for it. I picked mostly songs I prefer now, and wanted to include one cover as they were important early on. John's vocal in this one is awesome, and so are Ringo's drums. The Beatles really aren't a "well turn it up, man" band, but this song is (and I picked most of the other ones too.) 

I like the chalk scores - good idea. 

You're still pulling better ratings than some random 80s Willie Nelson LP and a frightened little pup

I'm all over that thread once I get these Beatles write-ups done.

ETA:  And my U2 ranking.

I should probably just leave forever it’s all downhill from here.
I was gonna make some jokes at your expense but figured I should let you bask in the moment.  Besides, I'm just jealous. Last time I saw you play guitar, you made two girls swoon and knock all the books off of three rows of my bookshelf.

Not a Second Time is cromulent. It has the same approach as lots of their poppier '63/'64 stuff but isn't as compelling as the best ones. Would probably be pretty far down on the list if I'd ranked everything, but that's mainly due to the high quality of ... everything. 

Hey guys, just wanna say that there is no expiration date on commenting on any post or song.

If you get a little behind and want to comment on something 5 or 10 pages ago, please do so. We want to your thoughts, comments and personal stories.

Krista's original thread posted 204 songs in 49 days .  1/11/19 to 3/1/19.  That's 4.16 per day. (I needed my obscure stat of the day, thank you).

5 per day for 172 songs will take exactly five weeks.  That's about where I'd like to finish. And I'd maybe like to take a day or two off in there if needed.

So keep posting, even if you get a little behind!  Great first day!!

:TheLongAndWindingDot:

Hey guys, just wanna say that there is no expiration date on commenting on any post or song.

If you get a little behind and want to comment on something 5 or 10 pages ago, please do so. We want to your thoughts, comments and personal stories.

Krista's original thread posted 204 songs in 49 days .  1/11/19 to 3/1/19.  That's 4.16 per day. (I needed my obscure stat of the day, thank you).

5 per day for 172 songs will take exactly five weeks.  That's about where I'd like to finish. And I'd maybe like to take a day or two off in there if needed.

So keep posting, even if you get a little behind!  Great first day!!

:TheLongAndWindingDot:

Five per day for the chaff seems OK, but I hope we'll slow down a bit as we get to the "better" songs.  But let's go with the flow of the posts and see where we are.  I'm a little worried about how many people have said already that they can't keep up.  I want it to be an inclusive thread with full participation and all viewpoints!  

(Except anyone who likes "A Taste of Honey"; you can just bug off.)

Hey guys, due to a difference of opinion with *management*, I'm not going to be participating further in the updated write-ups of this thread.  I did submit a number of updates in the past few days that can be included, but I'm not going to spend time on any more of these going forward.   I authorize any and all posters to re-post my prior write-ups, and since no one read them to begin with, they will seem fresh!  Hopefully between those and Guido's thoughts, we'll get a good sense of these songs.  We also have a lot of knowledge from others here, so I look forward to reading more of that.

5 pages already?

Is there a master list? How many songs did I miss?
It's a little confusing and hard to follow. I thought these things usually had links in the first post, but apparently we're supposed to wade through the thread.

We have (or rather had) three posters updating the thread: 

@wikkidpissah has not quit, so that's refreshing.

Users who are viewing this thread