What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Timmy’s 53 favorite obscure tunes #1. P.F. Sloan (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
LOOK AT ME!!

This will be a countdown list of personal favorites: deep cuts, forgotten songs, tunes by obscure artists, etc. The only thing all of these songs have in common is that you’re not going to hear them on the radio (mostly) . Most of them are from the genres I love the most: folk, blues, rock, power pop, singer-songwriter. They are frequent visitors to my playlists and I love them and are familiar with them as much as any hit song I’ve adored over the years.

I ended up with 53 because I kept cutting the list down and finally couldn’t do it anymore; I love these tunes too much. So 53 it is.

53. “Guiding Light”- Television
52. “Leather Jacket”- Mick Taylor
51. “My Girlhood Among The Outlaws”- Maria McKee
50. “She’s Gone” GA-20
49. “Mail Box” Frankie Miller
48. “Black Mountain Lullaby” Caroline Herring
47. “Me And Howard Hughes” The Boomtown Rats
46. “Rest, Shame, Love” Augustana
45. “Man Overboard” Ian Hunter
44. “Life Goes On” The Kinks
43. “Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key” Billy Bragg & Wilco
42. “Untold Stories” Buju Banton
41. “Lose This Skin” The Clash
40. “Viola” Girlyman
39. “Proof” I Am Kloot
38. “Turtle Dove” The Duhks
37. “Falling” Ben Kweller
36. “California” Rufus Wainwright
35. “Before I Go” Bearfoot
34. “Mr. Harris” Aimee Mann
33. “Crayon Angels” Judee Sill
32. “Do You Believe” Melanie
31. “Just Fade Away” Stiff Little Fingers
30. “Dance Me To The End of Love” Madeleine Peyroux
29. “Sweet Wanomi” Bill Withers
28. “Mean Ol’ Wind Dies Down” North Mississippi Allstars
27. “Hillbilly Willie’s Blues” Alvin Youngblood Hart
26. “For The Loser (Hallelujah)” The Rave-Ups
25. “Blue Canoe” Blue Mountain
24. “Jimmie Jones” The Vapors
23. “I’ll Keep It With Mine” Nico
22. “Random Rules” Silver Jews
21. “Trailer” Mudcrutch
20. “Crawling Kingsnake” The Black Keys
19. “Jenny of the Roses” Hiss Golden Messenger
18. “Paris 1919” John Cale
17. “Spare Me A Little” Fleetwood Mac
16. “Daisy” Karine Polwart
15. “Kansas Rain” John Stewart
14. “Waiting For My Real Life To Begin” Colin Hay
13. “Long Way To Go” Sue Foley
12. “Won’t Be Coming Home” Golden Smog
11. “Pendulum Swinger” Indigo Girls
10. “Snow Angel” Ron Sexsmith
9. “Precious Angel” Bob Dylan
8. “Hummingbird” B.B. King
7. “Stephanie Says” The Velvet Underground
6. “I’ll Be Here In The Morning” Townes Van Zandt
5. “Be Careful With A Fool” Johnny Winter
4. “Follow” Susan Tedeschi
3. “Love Will Tear Us Apart” Oysterband (with June Tabor)
2. “Move On Up A Little Higher” Mahalia Jackson
1. “P. F. Sloan” Jimmy Webb

Last edited:
I was all lined up to murderize you for a 1974 countdown and you do this? Time to recalibrate..........

53. Television- “Guiding Light” (from Marquee Moon, 1977)

The list begins with a deep cut off of Television’s tremendous debut record , one of the truly greatest albums of the 1970s. The Wiki page describes the band as eschewing the normal power chords of punk rock in favor of jazz; that’s a pretty brilliant description and for my money quite accurate. “Guiding Light” is my favorite tune from this album, a gorgeous slow melody with some very memorable guitar work. Love love this.

I'm really just saying that Tim has a very deep, impressive musical library from which to draw and the guts to rank them as he sees fit. :thumbup:
Everybody has the same musical library these days, which is unlimited. Truly a marvelous time to be living in when you think about it.

I'm really just saying that Tim has a very deep, impressive musical library from which to draw and the guts to rank them as he sees fit. :thumbup:
Everybody has the same musical library these days, which is unlimited. Truly a marvelous time to be living in when you think about it.
Yeah, but I'm more inclined to listen to the music I KNOW I like than to seek out stuff I might. You have listened to a lot and remembered a lot - I'm impressed every time.

The list begins with a deep cut off of Television’s tremendous debut record , one of the truly greatest albums of the 1970s. The Wiki page describes the band as eschewing the normal power chords of punk rock in favor of jazz; that’s a pretty brilliant description and for my money quite accurate. “Guiding Light” is my favorite tune from this album, a gorgeous slow melody with some very memorable guitar work. Love love this.
Love it - I just called this one out last week in the covers thread during our lengthy, in-depth soap opera discussion.

:lmao:

I have a glowing thread started about this album, and I'm still here to check in to manage to disagree with Tim. It's by far the worst track on the album. That's not to say it's a bad song, but this one is when you take the bathroom break if you need one. Everything about this song is downtempo and the solo doesn't even burn. It's almost Yacht Rock, if you were to record Yacht Rock badly and insist on a trebly voice.

I still love it, but this is as deep a cut as you're gonna get from this powerhouse of an album.

I have a glowing thread started about this album, and I'm still here to check in to manage to disagree with Tim. It's by far the worst track on the album. That's not to say it's a bad song, but this one is when you take the bathroom break if you need one. Everything about this song is downtempo and the solo doesn't even burn. It's almost Yacht Rock, if you were to record Yacht Rock badly and insist on a trebly voice.

I still love it, but this is as deep a cut as you're gonna get from this powerhouse of an album.
lol I never thought it that way. But honestly if someone told me there’s a punk yacht rock band out there I would seek them out, sounds like my kind of groove!

lol I never thought it that way. But honestly if someone told me there’s a punk yacht rock band out there I would seek them out, sounds like my kind of groove!
I like Guiding Light because it is so different on an album that was (and still is) so different from its peers. Really showed their versatility. The bass work is really good here IMO in addition to the emotional outro solo.

Every song from this album gets a (y)

I like "Guiding Light." It just is a funny selection when you've got seven other better songs to choose from. IMHO, that is.

52. Mick Taylor “Leather Jacket” (from Mick Taylor, 1979)

After years of playing with other bands (most famously the Stones), Mick Taylor finally released a solo album in 1979. It kind of sucked. One problem is he can’t really sing. And most of his material was crap. There is however, one song I really like (“S.W.5”), and one song I absolutely love, which is “Leather Jacket”. Just an all around great tune with a guitar sound I adore. I’m not quite sure how I discovered it a few years ago- probably I was playing a song from Exile on Main Street on ITunes and used “create station”- several of these tunes were discovered that way. But ever since I found it it’s been a constant on my playlists.

After years of playing with other bands (most famously the Stones), Mick Taylor finally released a solo album in 1979. It kind of sucked. One problem is he can’t really sing. And most of his material was crap. There is however, one song I really like (“S.W.5”), and one song I absolutely love, which is “Leather Jacket”. Just an all around great tune with a guitar sound I adore. I’m not quite sure how I discovered it a few years ago- probably I was playing a song from Exile on Main Street on ITunes and used “create station”- several of these tunes were discovered that way. But ever since I found it it’s been a constant on my playlists.
You took this in the British Isles countdown, didn’t you?

Yes. Thanks for remembering.

Yes. Thanks for remembering.
I put it on my "favorite new to me songs" playlist from the US, British Isles and Worldwide countdowns.

The album is entirely bland - but as you said this song was a hidden gem though.

It’s a shame the guy left the Stones and ended up in obscurity- one of my favorite all time guitarists. He did put out some good stuff with Carla Olson on vocals.

Last edited:
51. Maria McKee- “My Girlhood Among The Outlaws” (from You Gotta Sin To Be Saved, 1993)

Maria McKee achieved some small fame in the mid-1980s with Lone Justice, an LA based roots band that lasted two albums- their biggest hit was a cover of Tom Petty’s “Ways To Be Wicked”. McKee then went on to a relatively successful solo career and as a songwriter for other artists. At one time she was married to the late Robbie Robertson. She has lived in England for the last 30 years or so. This song is from her second solo album.

I feel like I grew up with Maria McKee. She’s about my age, and was raised within a few miles of me. I never met her but I did work with a girl who knew her well- they dated brothers.) I was in love with her from afar. I attended my first Lone Justice concert in 1985 and then saw them two more times and McKee 3 times after that, all in the late 80s and early 90s, all at local venues. I was even then a huge fan of what’s now known as “Americana” music, though I couldn’t have quantified it back then. At that point I hadn’t discovered The Band or seriously listened to Dylan or blues any of the artists that really affect my tastes. Maria’s soulfulness led me to the rest. This song has always been my favorite of hers and I still play it to this day every chance I get.

51. Maria McKee- “My Girlhood Among The Outlaws” (from You Gotta Sin To Be Saved, 1993)

Maria McKee achieved some small fame in the mid-1980s with Lone Justice, an LA based roots band that lasted two albums- their biggest hit was a cover of Tom Petty’s “Ways To Be Wicked”. McKee then went on to a relatively successful solo career and as a songwriter for other artists. At one time she was married to the late Robbie Robertson. She has lived in England for the last 30 years or so. This song is from her second solo album.

I feel like I grew up with Maria McKee. She’s about my age, and was raised within a few miles of me. I never met her but I did work with a girl who knew her well- they dated brothers.) I was in love with her from afar. I attended my first Lone Justice concert in 1985 and then saw them two more times and McKee 3 times after that, all in the late 80s and early 90s, all at local venues. I was even then a huge fan of what’s now known as “Americana” music, though I couldn’t have quantified it back then. At that point I hadn’t discovered The Band or seriously listened to Dylan or blues any of the artists that really affect my tastes. Maria’s soulfulness led me to the rest. This song has always been my favorite of hers and I still play it to this day every chance I get.
She was never married to Robertson. They may have had an affair in the '80s but neither ever confirmed it. They were close friends at the time and she has a prominent role on his first solo album.

Her older half-brother was Brian MacLean, one of the founders of Love, and their second singer-songwriter on their first three albums. He wrote what is probably their most famous song, "Alone Again Or," which kicks off their landmark album Forever Changes. Before the release of the album, bandleader Arthur Lee remixed Alone Again Or to make his vocals more prominent and MacLean's less prominent.

She was never married to Robertson. They may have had an affair in the '80s but neither ever confirmed it. They were close friends at the time and she has a prominent role on his first solo album.

Her older half-brother was Brian MacLean, one of the founders of Love, and their second singer-songwriter on their first three albums. He wrote what is probably their most famous song, "Alone Again Or," which kicks off their landmark album Forever Changes. Before the release of the album, bandleader Arthur Lee remixed Alone Again Or to make his vocals more prominent and MacLean's less prominent.
Thanks. I had no idea about the connection to Love. There is a cover of “Alone Again Or” by Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet that I like.

50. GA-20 “She’s Gone” (from Try It…You Might Like It: GA-20 Does Hound Dog Taylor, 2021)

Ready for some dirty raw blues? It doesn’t get any grungier than this. These 3 dudes from Boston, can really bring it. I only first heard this song a few months ago and I’ve become rather obsessed with this band. On all of my playlists. If you love blues you’re going to go crazy over this. And if you don’t love blues get the hell out of this thread, I don’t want to know you.

49. Frankie Miller “Mail Box” (from Once In A Blue Moon, 1973)

Frankie Miller was an early 70s blues rock singer in the same mode as Paul Rodgers and Steve Winwood, although he never achieved anything close to the fame of those guys. But this awesome song would fit right in on Blind Faith or an early Free album.

Frankie Miller was an early 70s blues rock singer in the same mode as Paul Rodgers and Steve Winwood, although he never achieved anything close to the fame of those guys. But this awesome song would fit right in on Blind Faith or an early Free album.
He hasn’t been able to sing since he had a brain aneurysm in 1994. 😥

48. Caroline Herring “Black Mountain Lullaby” (from Camilla, 2012)

Caroline Herring is, for my money, one of the very best folk singers of the 21st century. This tune, about a tragedy in the mines of Wise County, Virginia, is haunting and mesmerizing. But all of Herring’s albums are terrific.

Frankie Miller is in my Top 10 Male Rock Singers of All Time.

HIs most successful song worldwide was Darlin'

#6 UK, #8 Australia, #7 New Zealand, #1 Norway. Did not chart in US.

Here is the official video of the song.

Frankie Miller - Darlin' (1979)

Last edited:
47. The Boomtown Rats “Me And Howard Hughes” (from A Tonic For The Troops, 1978)

The Boomtown Rats were my favorite band as a teenager, thanks to an older friend of mine who was into them and had all their albums. I hung out at his house a lot and as a result was familiar with all the deep cuts, for which I still hold a deep place in my heart to this day.

Even now I still think this band was one of the most underrated of the early New Wave bands. For whatever reason which I can’t define to myself, this particular tune was always my favorite of theirs. Absolutely love the interlude.

46. Augustana “Rest, Shame, Love” (from Can’t Hurt, Can’t Love, 2008)

Augustana is a rock band from San Diego that had a few small hits during the aughts; I first became aware of them when one of their love songs was featured on the show Friday Night Lights. Their music is mostly light, pleasant power pop but there was something about this particular ballad that I find really special. I think it’s pretty terrific.

46. Augustana “Rest, Shame, Love” (from Can’t Hurt, Can’t Love, 2008)

Augustana is a rock band from San Diego that had a few small hits during the aughts; I first became aware of them when one of their love songs was featured on the show Friday Night Lights. Their music is mostly light, pleasant power pop but there was something about this particular ballad that I find really special. I think it’s pretty terrific.
I bought this CD at a Towers Record in NYC just on a whim - once in a while in addition to what I went in to get, I’d grab something that looked interesting and hope. I really liked this album and wondered why they didn’t make it bigger.

46. “Rest, Shame, Love” (from Can’t Hurt, Can’t Love, 2008)

Boston was their only Top 40 hit, peaking at #34 US Billboard Hot 100.

Here is the superior original unreleased version. Radio stations wanted something a little more upbeat, so the band released the more popish Version 2 they had also recorded, which became the official version.

Augustana - Boston (Original Version 2006)

45. Ian Hunter “Man Overboard” (from Man Overboard, 2009)

Ian Hunter was, of course, the lead singer of Mott the Hoople. One of the great, most distinctive singing voices of the 1970s, I hadn’t heard from him in decades and wasn’t even aware he was still releasing music until I stumbled on this tune a few years ago on ITunes. It’s angry, hilarious and poignant, and reminds me of the band’s classic “Ballad of Mott” from 40 years earlier. And Hunter’s vocals, aged and edgy, sound better than ever.

44. The Kinks “Life Goes On” (from Sleepwalker, 1977)

The Kinks are known as a very good mid-60s band, a legendary late 60s and early 70s band, and a rejuvenated excellent early 80s band.

That leaves the mid to late 70s, when they were still releasing albums but nobody was listening to them. Thanks to Apple Music and Spotify these albums are still available and there is some amazing music here. My favorite, and one of my all time favorite tunes by Ray Davies period, is the last song on Sleepwalker, about a friend’s suicide. This is epic stuff- great melody and as befits Ray funny and ironic lyrics. The acoustic guitar work by Dave Davies is excellent as well.

Listened to first three songs last night. I knew the Television and Taylor songs already, but it was nice to hear them again.

Really liked the McKee song and will probably listen to the full album soon.

She's Gone is on now - a little too generic of a blues riff. Can't imagine going back to this one but it's pleasant.

Frankie Miller is in my Top 10 Male Rock Singers of All Time.
I had never even heard of him - but really like the song tim selected and will explore the catalog a bit more (including the song you linked).
I listed his best known song. However, I think my favorite was his cover of Goodnight Sweetheart. The studio version is good but a live performance on BBC is better.

Frankie Miller - Goodnight Sweetheart (BBC 1978)

Listened to first three songs last night. I knew the Television and Taylor songs already, but it was nice to hear them again.

She's Gone is on now - a little too generic of a blues riff. Can't imagine going back to this one but it's pleasant.
McKee’s strongest material, in terms of albums, is probably the first Lone Justice album and her first solo album. I listed my favorite song by her but it’s not the strongest album.

This is the best Tim music thread ever.
I don't disagree, but missing some of the controversy that we've come to know and love.
My goal is to get tim to respond to any of my posts in here. So far I feel like he has me on ignore or has no interest in discussing these songs and just wants to list them.
OMG that is so not so.

I’m glad you like the tunes so far.
It was kind of tongue in cheek, but did feel a little invisible.

McKee’s strongest material, in terms of albums, is probably the first Lone Justice album and her first solo album. I listed my favorite song by her but it’s not the strongest album.
I know one Lone Justice album from back in the day. Didn’t really follow along after.

43. Billy Bragg & Wilco “Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key” (from Mermaid Avenue, 1998)

The album is a collection of songs created from Woody Guthrie lyrics that were never recorded. The great folk punk artist Billy Bragg teamed up with Wilco; the result was magic. This particular tune, my favorite, features a backup vocals by Natalie Merchant.

Users who are viewing this thread