What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Sean Tucker, TB (1 Viewer)

Syracuse’s 2023 NFL Draft prospects include Sean Tucker and Garrett Williams

Excerpt:

Sean Tucker, RB

As I call him, Sean “Track Speed” Tucker may be one of the country’s best running backs. Whether it’s between the tackles, around the outside, or on the receiving end of passes, Tucker can do it all. There isn’t one element to his game that isn’t far above average. And there isn’t one element of his game that he doesn’t play his heart out.

Tucker is a dominant athlete and faster than most players on the field on any given Saturday. He’s the prototypical back for today’s NFL. He thrives on the receiving end of passes and has no trouble in Syracuse’s zone-blocking scheme of practicing patience before hitting the hole with ferocity.

Syracuse sophomore RB Sean Tucker has had plenty of success on the stat sheet.

Tucker (5'10/209) is quickly becoming a prospect who is one the radar of several analysts across the country. That's not without reason, either. Tucker led the ACC in numerous statistical categories in 2021 including yards (1,515), yards after contact (1,014), missed tackles (66) and runs of 10 or more yards (44). It will be interesting to watch how he builds upon that in 2022.

May 10, 2022, 8:26 PM ET

Syracuse sophomore RB Sean Tucker has impressed statistically. 

Tucker (5'10/209) has been garnering a good amount of attention lately, and it doesn't look like the hype train is slowing down any time soon. According to Pro Football Focus, Tucker had 44 runs of 10 yards or more last season, making him first among ACC running backs in that category. Tucker led the ACC in numerous statistical categories in 2021 including yards (1,515), yards after contact (1,014), missed tackles (66) and runs of 10 or more yards (44). It's safe to say he backs up the level of talk and expectations that surround him.

May 26, 2022, 5:04 PM ET

Syracuse freshman RB Sean Tucker is not one of the three finalists chosen for the Doak Walker Award, which goes to the country's best running back.

Instead of Tucker (5'10/208) being named a finalist, that honor went to Michigan State's Kenneth Walker, Missouri's Tyler Badie and Iowa State's Breece Hall. While each of these three players are plenty deserving of the nomination, Tucker currently ranks third in the nation with 1,486 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns, and has also added an additional 16 receptions for 231 yards and two scores. Tucker ranked 32nd on Pro Football Focus' rushing grades (87.7), and has also forced 64 missed tackles on the season, which ranks fifth. Last week against NC State, Tucker set the Syracuse record for most rushing yards in a season. He and the Orange host Pitt this Saturday, where Tucker can add to those rushing totals, and perhaps, with a win and bowl eligibility, get an extra game to close out an impressive 2021.

SOURCE: Syracuse.com

Nov 23, 2021, 5:28 PM ET

This kid really intrigues me…a lot to like about him…right now Robinson is the consensus #1 RB and Gibbs is #2 for many after that…after that the #3 slot has a few contenders (and obviously draft position and team will have a heavy influence) and this kid has to be heavily in that mix.

This kid really intrigues me…a lot to like about him…right now Robinson is the consensus #1 RB and Gibbs is #2 for many after that…after that the #3 slot has a few contenders (and obviously draft position and team will have a heavy influence) and this kid has to be heavily in that mix.
Tucker is absolute purity. Looks to be stronger/more compact than Robinson and Gibbs, yet offers similar or better agility and speed. There are years when the draft plays out as expected and the top tier guys "are who thought they were" like with Peterson, Barkley, and Josh Jacobs. Drafted as the RB1 in their class. Performed like the RB1 in their class. With that being said, as a long-time dynasty player, I would caution against putting too much weight in the "consensus" about where these guys rank right now and how that will predict their careers. All you need to do is look at this year's top 10-15 RBs and count the number of guys who didn't have ELITE billing as pro prospects: Ekeler, Henry, Chubb, Pollard, Cook, Jones, Stevenson, Sanders, Williams, Mixon. Some of those guys were thoroughly hyped, but all of them were at least round 2+ picks by the NFL. That's not to mention past names like Gore, Rice, Charles, Forte, and Jones-Drew. The consensus goes out the window once these guys actually have to play football. Then it's really just about who can play.

I'm not totally ready to bang the Tucker > Bijan & Gibbs drum quite yet, but I would encourage people to at least consider the possibility instead of locking into the notion that there's a clear pecking order. I've been vocal on these boards with my glowing praise for Tucker's 2021 film. I think he showed first round tools. He has the total package: power, north-south explosiveness, east-west elusiveness.

There are some nasty, nasty reps in his highlight reels from 2021 and 2022:

Quick gear downs + phone booth elusiveness - https://youtu.be/x3mLjeStMnQ?t=355
Speed - https://youtu.be/x3mLjeStMnQ?t=548
Elusiveness - https://youtu.be/x3mLjeStMnQ?t=587
Elusiveness again - https://youtu.be/x3mLjeStMnQ?t=626
More speed - https://youtu.be/XU3tFVcOfMA?t=1
North-south burst + contact balance - https://youtu.be/XU3tFVcOfMA?t=281
Elusiveness #3 - https://youtu.be/XU3tFVcOfMA?t=387
Speed - https://youtu.be/XU3tFVcOfMA?t=519

This is a bad, bad dude. Compact, strong lower body, elusiven in space, with north-south burst and a second gear to run away from people. I've seen a lot of RBs over the year and I honestly think he looks like a late 1. He's another DeAngelo Williams or Curtis Martin.

A big variable is the testing numbers. He's listed at 210. I think he can weigh in heavier than that. 215-220 would be a good place for him if he's about 5'9". The other big domino is the 40 time. He dabbled in track in college. Not a Tyreek level burner, but faster than probably given credit for. What you notice about the clips is that he's not only quick off the mark, but also actually builds speed and has a real second gear. That bodes well for his prospective 40 time. 4.4x seems possible. Perhaps he can shock the world and even crank a 4.3x. I'd say if he weighs 215+ and runs 4.4x, you really have to think about him as a tier 1 back in this draft. Disappointing metrics like 205 pounds/4.5x would point towards more of a Devin Singletary type of trajectory, which is probably his floor.

I'm getting on this hype train early.

:drive:

Tucker is absolute purity. Looks to be stronger/more compact than Robinson and Gibbs, yet offers similar or better agility and speed. There are years when the draft plays out as expected and the top tier guys "are who thought they were" like with Peterson, Barkley, and Josh Jacobs. Drafted as the RB1 in their class. Performed like the RB1 in their class.

I'm getting on this hype train early.

:drive:
Got room for more on this train!
My Rebuild has good Draft capital = I have 1.01, 1.07, 1.08, 1.09, 2.01, 2.03 and a few more late 2nds. 12 Team PPR 1QB league
Robinson is clear 1.01 unless something dramatic happens, but depending which WR falls & where Mayer lands.. Tucker is on my radar for 2.01/2.03 selection... but if he explodes at the Underwear Olympics, I could take him with WR & Mayer selections ,
I have seen some reports that his North-South style is also a strong attribute.

He’s gonna get a a lot more love after the combine, IMO

I think NFL teams will like him more than Achane, who’s getting hyped up but is like 5’8”, 180 LBs.

Tucker is 5’10, 205-ish, and has power. He’ll likely be part of a committee but I really like his game.

Tucker is on my radar for 2.01/2.03 selection... but if he explodes at the Underwear Olympics, I could take him with WR & Mayer selections ,
I suspect Tucker will be a top 12 pick in the right landing spot.

I have the 2.01, so I’m hoping he makes it to me (if the NFL draft cooperates)

He has the look of a good NFL prospect for sure. Hard-nosed runner with some power and is deceptively fast for his build.

I think NFL teams will like him more than Achane, who’s getting hyped up but is like 5’8”, 180 LBs

My thought is a little different on Achane. I think NFL teams really like him and they already know his size, that he's got a solid shot to end up in late round 2 but I think safer bet is round 3. It's us in fantasy that won't care for him because of his size. It's like what we see with some lower volume blazing WR's that get drafted higher then WR's most of us in fantasy like a lot more. We need some volume, they are looking for for speed, players that stretch the field.

This has been my thought with the range being as high as being able to push all the way into the mid/top half range on the table. Obviously hard to say right now but my drafts are usually RB heavy and I don't really try and get bogged down by rankings right now but have been thinking of him in the RB4-5 range with a shot to even higher and I"m also thinking in most of my drafts that RB's will make up 3-4 of the first 5 picks, at least.

My thought is a little different on Achane. I think NFL teams really like him and they already know his size, that he's got a solid shot to end up in late round 2 but I think safer bet is round 3. It's us in fantasy that won't care for him because of his size. It's like what we see with some lower volume blazing WR's that get drafted higher then WR's most of us in fantasy like a lot more. We need some volume, they are looking for for speed, players that stretch the field.
That’s fair. You’re probably right. They’ll draft him for a COP/receiving role, which won’t be bad in either RL or FF.

I think Tucker is a better RB & deserves to go higher in the NFL draft. We’ll see how the underwear Olympics pan out
I don't really try and get bogged down by rankings right now but have been thinking of him in the RB4-5 range with a shot to even higher and I"m also thinking in most of my drafts that RB's will make up 3-4 of the first 5 picks, at least.
same - I keep watch, but expect a lot of movement as draft stock and landing spot unfold

Until those two things happen, nothing is reliable.

Well, maybe Bijan. He’s the real deal. I can’t wait to draft him.

Tucker is on my radar for 2.01/2.03 selection... but if he explodes at the Underwear Olympics, I could take him with WR & Mayer selections ,

He has the look of a good NFL prospect for sure. Hard-nosed runner with some power and is deceptively fast for his build.
You have all the picks. Just draft him. Lol. Unless this is a different league.

You have all the picks. Just draft him. Lol. Unless this is a different league.
Same league, and he’s on my short list.

I kinda hope he goes round 3 to a nice landing spot - could keep his rookie draft price tag in the early-mid 2nd.

For him to go in that range that means there will have to be RBs other than Bijan and Gibbs who are hotter commodities by FF draft day (or his value heads south but we will pass on that angle for now)...Corum is now out of the equation which leaves names like Evans, Bigsby, Charbonnet or someone like a McIntosh who could gain momentum if he gets drafted high and/or lands in a great situation...as of right now (i.e. things always change) if you are eying Tucker once Bijan, Gibbs, Johnson, JSN and Addison are off the board (I would add QBs if it is SF or 2 QB) he is a threat to go right after them and if he knocks it out-of-the-park at the combine he could even break into that top group.

I actually rate him as #2 back behind Bijan Robinson. Every time I watch his highlights, his balance stood out the most despite getting hit all over the places.

Last edited:
Reactions: EBF
RB2-7 in this class is a fascinating simulation. I’ll be absorbing as much of the content as I can leading up to our rookie draft. What, @Aznflyer14 do you think sets him apart from Gibbs, Charbonnet, Evans, Bigsby, Achane, Miller?

RB2-7 in this class is a fascinating simulation. I’ll be absorbing as much of the content as I can leading up to our rookie draft. What, @Aznflyer14 do you think sets him apart from Gibbs, Charbonnet, Evans, Bigsby, Achane, Miller?
Good question. I’m in need of an rb and have pick 1.02 and would like to hear these thoughts as well

LINK to video
-------------------
FFSnoog
@FFSnoog
Sean Tucker has the ability to be the next Austin Ekeler.
Great balance and burst in tight spaces and delivers power for his size.
Tucker should get premium day 2 draft capital and delivers true track-star speed.
Can’t deny these hands either 1f447-1f3fb.png
----------------
WayneMackey@Waymac32
Where would you expect him to go in 1qb 10 team? I hold the 1.10 with a pretty solid team. Deciding to trade up or take BPA
FFSnoog@FFSnoog
Top 10

Gibbs had benefits of running with massive OL and blue-chip QB at Alabama. Achane is too small and severely undersized and because of his speed, he might be viewed as scatback or gadget type player.

Charbonnet, Evans, Bigsby, and Miller didnt stand out as much as Tucker and Robinson did when watching their highlight films.

LINK to video
-------------------
Joe O’Leary
@TheHQNerd

Sean Tucker is a rapid accelerator with some of the lightest and quickest feet I’ve seen in the 2023 RB class
There’s been some prospect fatigue with Tucker for whatever reason but he checks off a lot of boxes

Prospect fatigue...interesting term...I am sure there are different meanings for it but my guess (as far as the non-NFL experts) is it means they are intent on proving how smart they are by pushing non-mainstream prospects.

LINK to video
-------------------
Joe O’Leary
@TheHQNerd

Sean Tucker is a rapid accelerator with some of the lightest and quickest feet I’ve seen in the 2023 RB class
There’s been some prospect fatigue with Tucker for whatever reason but he checks off a lot of boxes

Prospect fatigue...interesting term...I am sure there are different meanings for it but my guess (as far as the non-NFL experts) is it means they are intent on proving how smart they are by pushing non-mainstream prospects.
Interesting interpretation. Just like no self-proclaimed picks expert goes out and advertises "I think Team A (19.5-point favorite) is going to win today!"

LINK to video
-------------------
Joe O’Leary
@TheHQNerd

The other thing I see is people regurgitating buzz words without really understanding what they mean. There was a scouting report that described Tucker as a "linear" back. Love him or hate him, this is simply an inaccurate way to characterize his skill set. Have also seen some question marks about his speed, which is surprising to me. Second gear is evident and no one catches him when he gets into his stride. He's not Chris Johnson, but I'm expecting a 4.4x 40 time or better. I've seen takes all over the map on him, where some characterize him as a limited home run back and others as a grinder with no sizzle. It's almost like some of these evaluators just roll a pair of dice to generate a random evaluation, and then fill it up with buzz words.

I'm not a pro scout, but I've been doing this on a casual level for a couple decades now. Simple take on Tucker: compact, shifty, fluid, faster than you think, better contact balance than you think. Don't be surprised if he ends up measuring with a higher BMI than Gibbs or Bijan. He appears to be built a bit stockier. Super interested to see his combine measurements and eventually his draft slot. Been vocal that I think his 2021 tape was first round caliber. I don't think he'll go that high though. If he weighs 210+ at ~5'9" and cranks a 4.4x or better, 2nd round should be in play still. He's a better version of Devin Singletary, who went 3rd himself with no 2nd gear to speak of whatsoever.

My feeling is that Tucker is currently underrated in draft discourse. The best version of him can be something like Curtis Martin or DeAngelo Williams, which is super high praise. Let's see what's under the hood in a few weeks. That will be a relevant data point.

LINK to video
-------------------
Joe O’Leary
@TheHQNerd

The other thing I see is people regurgitating buzz words without really understanding what they mean. There was a scouting report that described Tucker as a "linear" back. Love him or hate him, this is simply an inaccurate way to characterize his skill set. Have also seen some question marks about his speed, which is surprising to me. Second gear is evident and no one catches him when he gets into his stride. He's not Chris Johnson, but I'm expecting a 4.4x 40 time or better. I've seen takes all over the map on him, where some characterize him as a limited home run back and others as a grinder with no sizzle. It's almost like some of these evaluators just roll a pair of dice to generate a random evaluation, and then fill it up with buzz words.

I'm not a pro scout, but I've been doing this on a casual level for a couple decades now. Simple take on Tucker: compact, shifty, fluid, faster than you think, better contact balance than you think. Don't be surprised if he ends up measuring with a higher BMI than Gibbs or Bijan. He appears to be built a bit stockier. Super interested to see his combine measurements and eventually his draft slot. Been vocal that I think his 2021 tape was first round caliber. I don't think he'll go that high though. If he weighs 210+ at ~5'9" and cranks a 4.4x or better, 2nd round should be in play still. He's a better version of Devin Singletary, who went 3rd himself with no 2nd gear to speak of whatsoever.

My feeling is that Tucker is currently underrated in draft discourse. The best version of him can be something like Curtis Martin or DeAngelo Williams, which is super high praise. Let's see what's under the hood in a few weeks. That will be a relevant data point.
I've always enjoyed reading your honest evals of incoming RBs in my time on this forum. Thanks for another one.

I've also noticed the weirdly conflicting reports with Tucker. I've seen him described as a guy that sounds like Tevin Coleman (good speed, not shifty, not great bmi) and also described as a grinder without difference making speed. I guess I can use that to weed out some lazy analysts :lol:

Reactions: EBF
You just hit the nail perfectly on mentioning of DeAngelo Williams. That's the first name came up when watching Tucker's highlights.

Why does the fantasy community like Tucker more than the NFL does?
Fair question. He had a really good 2021 statistically, so he had some momentum coming into to this year. Although he was not has consistent this year, he did not perform poorly. I think receiving skills for an RB tend to get the FF community excited, and has shown he is capable in that area. Otherwise I think it is really just a meh class of prospects, so many have a lot of these guys lumped pretty closely together.

Fair question. He had a really good 2021 statistically, so he had some momentum coming into to this year. Although he was not has consistent this year, he did not perform poorly. I think receiving skills for an RB tend to get the FF community excited, and has shown he is capable in that area. Otherwise I think it is really just a meh class of prospects, so many have a lot of these guys lumped pretty closely together.
If he’s a day 3 pick I’m not touching anywhere Near rd 1

He's big enough to carry a workload
I believe he's got elite speed--but he's going to have to hit the 4.3x at the combine.
He's shown quite a bit of pass catching ability.

Pass blocking is in question.
Just from reading on him, it sounds like he struggles with decisiveness between the tackles.

So the NFL may see him as a backup or complimentary piece at best. But if he gets day 2 draft capital, and has a path to touches, he's an exciting guy with the ball in his hands.

He's big enough to carry a workload
I believe he's got elite speed--but he's going to have to hit the 4.3x at the combine.
He's shown quite a bit of pass catching ability.

Pass blocking is in question.
Just from reading on him, it sounds like he struggles with decisiveness between the tackles.

So the NFL may see him as a backup or complimentary piece at best. But if he gets day 2 draft capital, and has a path to touches, he's an exciting guy with the ball in his hands.
Since he doesn’t seem to be highly thought of in NFL circles he probably will be a day 3 pick or an undrafted FA. I sincerely hope that is wrong.

Reminds me a bit of Rachaad White situation last year where fantasy players were really excited about him but the NFL was kind of lukewarm. I think late 3rd like White is what we hope for with Tucker.

Reminds me a bit of Rachaad White situation last year where fantasy players were really excited about him but the NFL was kind of lukewarm. I think late 3rd like White is what we hope for with Tucker.

Plays at one speed, and doesn’t have good hands. That said, I noted in interviews with ED/DI players they asked each one “who’s the guy you played in college that surprised you, who was way better than you expected.”

At least two of them said Sean Tucker, no doubt. Dude is insanely fast.

Plays at one speed, and doesn’t have good hands. That said, I noted in interviews with ED/DI players they asked each one “who’s the guy you played in college that surprised you, who was way better than you expected.”

Well we won't get to see it today. He's not testing.

Well we won't get to see it today. He's not testing.

Yeah well if you’re in the smaller side you drink a gallon of milk everyday for three weeks before the Combine, don’t test, then go hard until your Pro Day (where they don’t weigh you), and put up a blazing time.

Probably not quite that easy but guys are def gaming the process.

Yeah well if you’re in the smaller side you drink a gallon of milk everyday for three weeks before the Combine, don’t test, then go hard until your Pro Day (where they don’t weigh you), and put up a blazing time.

Probably not quite that easy but guys are def gaming the process.
Yep, seems to be what happened with Tucker here. Disappointing but I get it. You only get one shot in this process and need to make the most of it.

Bummed that he didn't test, but there are some bad takes in here. Not a one speed runner by any means. Checked in with a higher BMI than Gibbs or Robinson, which I anticipated. Thicker frame to the naked eye and you can see him running through contact quite a bit in his clips. It's not like he just got big for the combine. He's always been a stocky type of back. 30.x BMI is prototypical for the position. Also, it's premature to say what NFL teams think of him when the draft hasn't happened yet.

Let's pretend he actually slides though. Death sentence? Not necessarily. One of the challenges in FF is weighing your own takes vs. the winds of the moment. Seen quite a few high devy guys slide in the pre-draft process and then blast off in the NFL (Diggs, JuJu, Amon-Ra, Metcalf to name a few). You can find counterpoints on the other side as well (Lache Seastrunk, Hakeem Butler, Zamir White, etc). Draft capital is predictive, but only in a loose sense. They still need to eventually play the games. Reminder that Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, Laquon Treadwell, and Sterling Shepard were all drafted ahead of Michael Thomas. Once these guys put on an NFL uniform and start playing for real, the hierarchy starts to fluctuate again.

Around draft time though, people really buy into the notion that because player X is ahead of player Z in that moment, he's permanently and forever the better choice. Works like that on average, but only in a general and loose sense. Loads and loads of exceptions in every draft.

Users who are viewing this thread