What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Sean Tucker, TB (2 Viewers)

Jake Anderson @JakeAndersonPGA
There’s been a lot of shade about Sean Tucker on the timeline. He’s arguably the most explosive back in this class.

I’ve heard that he lacks agility and is stiff.

I see plenty of agility and he can make clean cuts. He can hit the corner like no other back in this class.

Tucker can be used in the pass game. He probably won’t catch more than 40 balls in a season that that’s good enough.

Let him him hit the edge and cook. 💨

Stretch runs and counters is where Tucker eats.

Tucker seemingly always stretches runs outside but that’s how he takes advantage of him being faster that most humans.

He’s not incredibly physical but he’s not afraid of contact.

Not the most agile back and takes more steps with his cuts than you’d like but he can he’s not overly stiff.

Tucker is who we wanted Chuba Hubbard to be.

Tucker shows flashes of good vision and patience. It’s something he’s going to have to improve on in order to be earning consistent touches at the next level.

He might be a bit more boom/bust as a prospect but in the second round of rookie drafts, take those upside swings.

Smaller than Mendenhall, but I would say nimbler too.

Pro day is supposed to be tomorrow. Apparently been putting up some insane numbers in his private workouts. There's video evidence.

He says he had a medical exception from the combine. Not sure if he will test tomorrow or not.

Feels like maybe he won't since he just posted the video stuff yesterday.

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
Sean Tucker wasn’t able to participate at the NFL Combine due to a medical exclusion.
Tucker decided to go through his own Combine and posted a video of it to his Twitter.
Here are the results:
41.5” vertical (would’ve been 1st among RB’s at the Combine)
4.33 40-Yard Dash (would’ve been 2nd among RB’s at the Combine)
28 bench press reps (would’ve been 1st among RB’s at the Combine)
The Syracuse RB is SPECIAL

His own combine? Were NFL teams present? Is he participating today at the pro day?
Laughable, really. That’s nowhere near a 41.5” vertical. If he could actually hit anywhere near those marks, he would be participating in his pro day.
Pretty much my thoughts and if he can do this in front of scouts and is not doing it he's getting the worst advice of his life.

Tucker watched in street clothes, claiming an undisclosed medical issue. His free fall continues. Disappointing. Hopefully we hear something regarding the supposed medical issue, but this seems very suspicious.

Tucker watched in street clothes, claiming an undisclosed medical issue. His free fall continues. Disappointing. Hopefully we hear something regarding the supposed medical issue, but this seems very suspicious.
Free fall to me? ✔️
I am primarily referring to the NFL Draft, rather than fantasy, but the two are connected. If Tucker is a day 3 prospect, he is less appealing as a fantasy prospect, as well.

I am still hopeful he can recover his draft value. It is unclear to me what the "medical exclusion" is, and it may be perfectly valid, but coming on the heels of a "private combine workout" where he supposedly put up elite numbers, I am skeptical about his inability to workout for NFL teams.

It really makes little sense to me, since Tucker is an excellent athlete.

Free fall to me? ✔️
I am primarily referring to the NFL Draft, rather than fantasy, but the two are connected. If Tucker is a day 3 prospect, he is less appealing as a fantasy prospect, as well.

I am still hopeful he can recover his draft value. It is unclear to me what the "medical exclusion" is, and it may be perfectly valid, but coming on the heels of a "private combine workout" where he supposedly put up elite numbers, I am skeptical about his inability to workout for NFL teams.

Is he expected to perform at pro day? That's what I'm hoping for. If not, I'm skeptical at best too.

Free fall to me? ✔️

Is he expected to perform at pro day? That's what I'm hoping for. If not, I'm skeptical at best too.
As far as I know it happened today and he was not a participant.

Free fall to me? ✔️

As far as I know it happened today and he was not a participant.
Ohh... Well. That's not good.

It makes plenty of sense if you just take it at face value. He tweaked something and isn't healthy. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

The workout videos he posted are from February, pre-combine. It's not like he was working out yesterday and then suddenly just said, "No, I'm not going to test." Probably aggravated something in his combine prep. There were rumors he was carrying an injury during the season. 5 carry game against Clemson certainly raised some eyebrows.

Only real concern here is the possibility of an underlying medical issue that could linger.

He was medically red flagged at the combine though his side is not releasing the condition. Hopefully it's not something serious but there are a lot of questions here.

His own combine? Were NFL teams present? Is he participating today at the pro day?
Laughable, really. That’s nowhere near a 41.5” vertical. If he could actually hit anywhere near those marks, he would be participating in his pro day.

The videos he posted are from early-mid February. If he got hurt during his combine prep, was medically flagged at the combine, and still hasn't been cleared (which is basically what he said) then how exactly is he supposed to test? Test injured? Risk further aggravation?

If you take his word at face value, there's a clear logic to explain everything. They found a medical issue sometime before the combine and he hasn't been cleared to test yet. That's it. That's the story. The fact that he posted that video so soon before his pro day suggests there was last minute hope he'd be cleared, which also suggests the underlying medical issue probably isn't a long-term type of thing. Otherwise they likely wouldn't have waited until the last minute to get in front of it.

The curious part for me is the lack of specificity on his injury. Why not just say, "I strained my hamstring" or something to that effect? It could be something like a hairline fracture that he can run on, but shouldn't. It's a weird situation, but a lot of the analysis here is assuming the absolute worst instead of the simplest explanation (he is injured).

I can't recall too many prospects who had such dire testing numbers that they opted to skip all workouts entirely, and there's little reason to believe Tucker is a strong candidate for that. That leads me to believe he's just too injured to test, which is concerning, but for different reasons (fear of lingering issues vs. fear of bad marks).

If you take his word at face value, there's a clear logic to explain everything

If you take him at face value, he said he had a "medical exception." That sounds different than "medical exclusion." Perhaps his vocabulary and choice of words is leading a lot of people astray. Because medical exception sounds like he got permission to not test, not that he was precluded from testing.

If he was precluded from testing, that's a whole different story than if he opted not to run and jump.

I hope the medicals are okay and Tucker is cleared to go. Never want to see a guy fall in the draft due to stuff like this.

If you take him at face value, he said he had a "medical exception." That sounds different than "medical exclusion." Perhaps his vocabulary and choice of words is leading a lot of people astray. Because medical exception sounds like he got permission to not test, not that he was precluded from testing.

If he was precluded from testing, that's a whole different story than if he opted not to run and jump.

I hope the medicals are okay and Tucker is cleared to go. Never want to see a guy fall in the draft due to stuff like this.
I think he was precluded. He got asked to come back to Indy later for a re-evaluation.

Sean Tucker wasn’t able to participate at the NFL Combine due to a medical exclusion.
Tucker decided to go through his own Combine and posted a video of it to his Twitter.
Here are the results:

It makes plenty of sense if you just take it at face value. He tweaked something and isn't healthy. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that
It makes a bit more sense that the workouts posted were from pre-combine. That was unclear from the Twitter post above, which seemed to suggest the workouts were post-combine. I see the dates referenced are from February.

Still many questions, but I hope Tucker recovers quickly and can get his draft stock up.

I still have Tucker as a late first round fantasy asset (start 1 QB). However, if he does not get day 2 draft capital, that likely pushes him out of round one for me, barring a great draft destination.

If you take his word at face value
I'm willing to take his word he's not medically able to workout at face value or at minimum not be in a position to question it. I'm not however able to take his self reported combine results as such and it strikes me as an odd stunt putting it out on social media or thinking teams put any stock in it.

Here are the results:
That's odd. I had those same measurements at my private combine. Please draft me.

@DevyEusuf has him at 4.57 in his faster 40 on the video, based on frame counting.
That would be quite disappointing and I’d honestly be surprised if he were that slow. He looks much faster on tape, like a low 4.4’s guy.

Yea, I don't put any stock in that 4.57s figure or in the 4.3x figure stated by the video.

His PR in the 60m at Syracuse was 6.90s, which seems to be a solid mark, but nothing special for a top level college sprinter. It would not be a competitive time in most major NCAA conferences. The top collegiate runners are running 6.6xs and 6.7xs. The borderline Olympians like Oregon's Micah Williams are running 6.5x. Jeff Demps of Florida Gator fame was also a 6.5x guy. In that context, 6.90 is nothing incredible.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to be awful. I don't have much context for the 60m since not many football players have run it that I'm aware of, but Tyreek just did 6.70s in that masters race recently. Typically the gap between a world class runner and a merely "good" runner will increase with distance. So if a guy is beating you by .2 seconds in a 40 then he will probably be beating you by more in a 60m, and even more in a 100m. There's some variability there based on body type and running style, as the scaling only works to a point (you wouldn't apply the same logic to a 5k, for example). It also doesn't differentiate between strong starter-bad finisher and bad starter-strong finisher. A guy like Maurice Drew had a great 40 time, but faded slightly over 100m, where his times were still good, but a lot less impressive.

But generally if someone is losing a 60m by .2 seconds then he would probably lose a 40m by slightly less. We have the 6.7 time for Tyreek and the 6.9 for Tucker. Using that as a guide, if Tyreek is a 4.2x or low 4.3 guy at present moment then maybe we assume something in the 4.4x range for Tucker, which seems reasonable based on his game speed. Personally, I never felt he was an elite sprinter like Chris Johnson or Ted Ginn, but his pullaway speed looks a lot better than 4.6 or high 4.5.

Tucker as a sprinter has always been a little overblown, but I also don't believe he's dodging the combine on purpose. With a 30+ BMI, he doesn' t really need an elite time to be a viable pro back. And with draft projections all over the map, it seems that he has much more to gain than to lose by working out. So I don't think he's dodging workouts to hide bad times. I think he's probably just injured like he says, but I doubt he is going to run low 4.3.

@DevyEusuf has him at 4.57 in his faster 40 on the video, based on frame counting.
That would be quite disappointing and I’d honestly be surprised if he were that slow. He looks much faster on tape, like a low 4.4’s guy.
I had him pegged as a mid 4.4's guy, based mainly on his 100m PR of 10.77. I think his 60m times suggested similar speed, but I haven't looked as closely at that distance.

This is how narratives get blown out of proportion and twisted. Nobody seemed to report that his video was pre-combine and then everyone (in the FF sphere I don't mean here per se). I agree he's getting bad advice but IMHO people need to chill way, way out when it comes to analyzing such a video. Either in terms of trying to get into his head, or in terms of trying to analytically review it. The bottom line is that he is a special athlete and wanted to show it. He may or may not understand that these kinds of videos are going to be used against him. I imagine he and his people did their very best to make sure the numbers were legit. I have zero doubt we could pick it apart and find fault in their methodology. Yep must be a bust.

Everybody gets hung up on 40 times but did he *not* bench 28 reps? Is that *not* special?

Sounds like he dinged something, didn't want to be measured while injured, made a debatable decision to release an older video, and now people are going to fade him. Ok.

I agree he's getting bad advice but IMHO people need to chill way, way out when it comes to analyzing such a video.
It's the offseason and I reserve the right to be unchill when analyzing any video I like!

But I more or less agree with your take. This RB class is fascinating to me -- could end up being 8 starters, could end up being 1.

Well, this sounds really ominous. According to Tony Pauline (a reputable long-time NFL draft reporter), Tucker was medically red-flagged at the combine. We knew that, but it seems to be a purely medical condition vs. an injury situation. Hard to speculate what that could be, but presumably we're talking something like a heart problem, chronic disease, or genetic condition vs. a knee injury or bum ankle. Pauline discusses it as "when OR if" Tucker can play football again. Says he's likely to plunge in the draft and possibly even become a UDFA. Still lots of mystery here, but this isn't an encouraging update. You can listen to the clip below.

Really unfortunate for Tucker if this disrupts his career. I thought he had the goods to be a standout pro starter.

I'd heard today about an unnamed back falling because of a medical concern. It doesn't sound good if it's Tucker. I remember Journey Brown no more than a few years ago having a heart condition that prevented him from playing.

Tucker's weird home-style combine video and non-testing make much more sense in this regard.

I think he just needs to address the condition and say what he can to mitigate the concern even if he can't run or jump. Maybe all the NFL teams know what the issue is? If not, they all will have to assume the worst and he will go undrafted. Who will draft a guy who may never play again and won't say why. If the teams know, I guess we will fairly soon.

I think he just needs to address the condition and say what he can to mitigate the concern even if he can't run or jump

HIPAA and privacy concerns. Plus, the seeking of second and third opinions. Lots of reasons why he shouldn't say why.

HIPPA says he doesn't have to disclose and others can't disclose his situation. He's had at least several weeks since pre-combine to get multiple medical opinions. It is just hard for me to think of something bad enough that it would be worse to not get drafted than to have his situation known. It will come out eventually. I wish him the very best, but I think no team can draft him with something undisclosed wrong with him and no idea what, so teams can't know if it can be cured or whether he'll ever play again.

HIPPA says he doesn't have to disclose and others can't disclose his situation. He's had at least several weeks since pre-combine to get multiple medical opinions. It is just hard for me to think of something bad enough that it would be worse to not get drafted than to have his situation known. It will come out eventually. I wish him the very best, but I think no team can draft him with something undisclosed wrong with him and no idea what, so teams can't know if it can be cured or whether he'll ever play again.
It could be similar to the Hou WR John Metchie II Lukemia diagnosis. Something that will take time to "recover" but still allow him to play (at some point), if the team/staff is willing to wait. I would imagine he has disclosed this to a few teams he interviewed with just as an effort to get some bearing for his future.

I would imagine if you were examined at the combine a ROI was signed and all 32 teams have access to that information. Did he forget medical eval at the combine and come to the combine with his medical info already known?

I'd heard today about an unnamed back falling because of a medical concern. It doesn't sound good if it's Tucker
Did you hear that on the Move the Sticks podcast? I just listened to their latest one today when they discussed it but would not name the player.

So not sure if that's your source but it sounded pretty dire for whatever RB they were discussing.. By process of elimination I could for sure tell it's not Bijan, Biggs, Charbonnett, Achane or Bigsby. Obviously in light of other reports posted it's most likely Tucker.

Did you hear that on the Move the Sticks podcast?

No. I know sourcing is important, but it was a significant person who I can’t remember on Twitter, and I couldn’t scroll my feed to find out who it was. I didn’t think of Tucker until EBF posted, so I chimed in.

I didn't notice meno's update before I posted basically the same thing.

Encouraging news. Means his medical issue may not be a career-ender, and also provides further evidence against the idea that he was somehow ducking the pre-draft testing process, which always seemed like a stretch. Hoping he can have a healthy career because, on ability alone, he could be a diamond in this draft. As it turns out, my last remaining dynasty league (where I have Tucker as a dev pick), just folded recently after 15 years. I have zero shares at the moment and no vested interest, but almost want to join a startup just to get on the Tucker bandwagon early.

Last edited:
Here is the latest I have found regarding Sean Tucker.

According to Bob McGinn (golongtd.com), Tucker was unable to participate in athletic testing at the Combine due to a heart issue which was discovered during the Combine.

@BobMcGinn had this to say about Sean Tucker in his latest Draft article: "Because of an ongoing heart issue that was revealed at the combine, his football future is in jeopardy. 'This sounds like it’s not going away,' said one team executive. 'Essentially, he could be done.'

After also missing Syracuse's Pro Day, Tucker posted those unusual phone video clips of his combine-prep workouts in an attempt to assuage his draft value, but offered no details about the medical issue holding him back, except that he expected to be cleared soon.

“I wasn't able to participate at the NFL combine because of a medical exclusion, something I expect to have cleared shortly. I hope this video will show you my hard work and dedication to be in the best shape of my life and how I am ready to perform at a high level in the NFL.”

Last week, Adam Schefter reported that Tucker was medically re-checked and cleared to workout for NFL teams.

The wording was interesting to me. Cleared to workout does not necessarily mean the same thing as cleared of the medical issue.

Tucker held a private "pro-day" workout today on the Syracuse campus. He measured in at 5’9 1/2", 209 lbs.

Tony Pauline
@TonyPauline
Syracuse running back Sean Tucker worked out today for the NY Jets, NY Giants, Bills and Cardinals. Vertical jump was 39 inches and 29 reps on the bench. No forty as he hasn't done much running past 6 weeks. Looked very quick in drills and caught the ball extremely well

Those are outstanding numbers, as expected, but very limited. It would have been nice to see him run, but it makes sense that he would not run if he was only cleared a week ago to resume running. The tape reveals Tucker is an explosive athlete with ample speed.

I don't know how reliable this report from Jeff Mueller, PT, DPT (Thrive Physical Therapy) is, but he has suggested that the "medical clearance" may be a temporary clearance, which may be consistent with Shefter's report.

Jeff Mueller, PT, DPT
@jmthrivept
Gosh dang it. We have an update on Sean Tucker. Not as finite as Journey Brown’s cardiac situation, but it sounds like Tucker has some big hurdles with an ongoing heart condition. (Last report I saw was that he was medically cleared, so that’s probably temporary w/ future risk)

That seems a little odd to me that Tucker would be cleared to workout if he is dealing with an ongoing cardiac condition, but I am no cardiologist.

I fear this issue is not going away real soon, but draft capital will tell us a lot.

Last edited:
Really weird vibes on this one and I couldn't fault anyone for sliding him over to the "do not draft" list. I don't understand why he can bench press and do the vertical, but not attempt a 40. Maybe a training issue, but then you'd think he wouldn't be jumping either. I don't know. I'm an apologist and a huge fan of his skill set, but there's so much red tape here that it's hard to know what you're getting. The health issue looms colossal.

A shame because, on tape alone, he'd probably be a top 3-5 prospect in this FF class for me. The guy is sensational...if he can play.

Really weird vibes on this one and I couldn't fault anyone for sliding him over to the "do not draft" list. I don't understand why he can bench press and do the vertical, but not attempt a 40. Maybe a training issue, but then you'd think he wouldn't be jumping either. I don't know. I'm an apologist and a huge fan of his skill set, but there's so much red tape here that it's hard to know what you're getting. The health issue looms colossal.

A shame because, on tape alone, he'd probably be a top 3-5 prospect in this FF class for me. The guy is sensational...if he can play.
My current stance: yes, fade; but no, not "do not draft". I would (if our draft were today, pre-NFL-draft) have him as ~RB10. Which in my league is probably pick ~1.10 lol. First round is usually 8 RB's minimum.

Users who are viewing this thread