What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Laviska Shenault Jr. - SEA (2 Viewers)

Laviska Shenault caught 1-of-3 targets for 58 yards in Week 5 against the Titans.

Shenault wasn't targeted until deep in the third quarter. There was hope for a bigger role with D.J. Chark out, but the Jaguars featured TE Dan Arnold and RB Jamal Agnew in the short pass game, with both finishing with a team-high eight targets. Shenault flashed on his only reception, picking up yards after the catch and breaking multiple tackles. Marvin Jones likely drawing CB Xavien Howard in coverage should get Shenault a few more targets in Week 6 against Miami. 

Oct 10, 2021, 6:04 PM ET

crazy to me that after losing Chark last week, Shenault only saw 3 targets. Even with a rookie QB, this blows my mind. 

crazy to me that after losing Chark last week, Shenault only saw 3 targets. Even with a rookie QB, this blows my mind. 
It makes more sense when you realize that Lawrence is primarily a one read QB right now. So if the play isn’t designed for Shenault to be the first read, he has a low chance of having the ball thrown his way. And it’s pretty clear that they’re not designing plays for Shenault.

I might be wrong but I believe Laviska is something like 230+ lbs and it would stand to reason that if he is a slot guy or making that his spot in 3-WR sets that he might bounce off many of the folks trying to tackle him, quite frankly he should be getting 4-5 hand offs a game including end arounds, teams should be scared to death when he steps on the field not knowing what he might do next but I blame coaching 100% on why he hasn't blossomed in the box score every week, clearly he passes the eyeball test which brings me to my next point...

-Why isn't a GM trying to take advantage of the dysfunctional Jax Jags and offer them a 2022 2nd, 3rd round pick or package something and get Shenault...remember when Pittsburgh moved in and took Miami's lunch money on Minka Fitzpatrick, they knew what they were getting. How about Green Bay step out there and make Rodgers happy and get him a true gadget to work with in the offense? 

Post based on the Twitter link above

Last edited by a moderator:
-Why isn't a GM trying to take advantage of the dysfunctional Jax Jags and offer them a 2022 2nd, 3rd round pick or package something and get Shenault...remember when Pittsburgh moved in and took Miami's lunch money on Minka Fitzpatrick, they knew what they were getting. How about Green Bay step out there and make Rodgers happy and get him a true gadget to work with in the offense? 
Because they can't get rid of all their weapons and expect Lawrence to grow as a QB. Next year they can try to bolster their WR group via free agency (e.g. Mike Williams, Michael Gallup) or the draft, but they can't leave the cupboard bare right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might be wrong but I believe Laviska is something like 230+ lbs and it would stand to reason that if he is a slot guy or making that his spot in 3-WR sets that he might bounce off many of the folks trying to tackle him, quite frankly he should be getting 4-5 hand offs a game including end arounds, teams should be scared to death when he steps on the field not knowing what he might do next but I blame coaching 100% on why he hasn't blossomed in the box score every week, clearly he passes the eyeball test which brings me to my next point...

Post based on the Twitter link above

From what I saw on PFF the other day he's been better outside than in the slot.

From what I saw on PFF the other day he's been better outside than in the slot.

I'm not sure if you are referencing their Receiving Direction data, but that is about where he was targeted and/or his route ended on the field, inside the numbers or outside the numbers on the left or right. I don't think that correlates fully to where he lined up (slot or wide), but I'm not completely sure about that.

His PFF grades are definitely best outside right, but he only has 9 targets in that area, so the sample is small.

Interestingly, his PFF grades were weakest for outside right last season and were similarly strong for outside left and between the numbers. Maybe that shows that this data is not predictive... or more likely it reflects the fact that the offense is different under the new coaching and he has been used differently.

Laviska Shenault caught 4-of-4 targets for 24 yards in the Jaguars' Week 9 win over the Bills.

Shenault also lost four yards on one carry. While Shenault tied Dan Arnold for the team lead in receptions he had just a 14% target share. Shenault can be held onto in deep leagues for another week, with the hope that the Jaguars can show some signs of life against and middling Colts defense. But Shenault has struggled all season to earn targets in an inefficient and low volume passing attack. He doesn't need to be held outside of deep leagues.

- NBC SportsEDGE

With Agnew out for the year and the coach talking about getting shenault more involved I think it may be time to pick him back up. Worth an end of the bench stash and I'm actually going to start him in a three wr league if cpatt can't go.

With Agnew out for the year and the coach talking about getting shenault more involved I think it may be time to pick him back up. Worth an end of the bench stash and I'm actually going to start him in a three wr league if cpatt can't go.
I’m also looking at starting him in a 3 WR(+ flex) league. Waiver is thin otherwise and I’ve been waiting on AB and ridley for awhile now. My other option was Bourne or Agholor but might just roll the dice in Shenault. 

Okay kids my long shot of the week to go nuts - Shenault Jax WR

Why?  They're playing Houston and I expect jags to have the biggest F U game ever.  Everyone might score on that team, and Shenault playing like cpatt/deebo is an option

So looking forward to 2022...what is the consensus on this guy? We know Myer was an idiot, but does he have #1 WR potential? How would you compare his upside to say Gallup or Corey Davis, who have similar ADPs for 2022? 

So looking forward to 2022...what is the consensus on this guy? We know Myer was an idiot, but does he have #1 WR potential? How would you compare his upside to say Gallup or Corey Davis, who have similar ADPs for 2022? 
For 2022, I know if he remains best available player round after round after round beginning in the 4th, I'm not taking the bait like I did in 2021.  

For 2022, I know if he remains best available player round after round after round beginning in the 4th, I'm not taking the bait like I did in 2021.  
Possibly as my 4th WR at best, 5th WR more likely. I think I value a “boring” WR like C David over him. Interesting question about Gallup though…where does he land next year will have a lot to do with it (isn’t he a FA?)

Possibly as my 4th WR at best, 5th WR more likely. I think I value a “boring” WR like C David over him. Interesting question about Gallup though…where does he land next year will have a lot to do with it (isn’t he a FA?)
Yeah, I guess Shenault sort of met my definition of a boring receiver in 2021. I'd be more likely to try to find a different "gutters and strikes" target in 2022 - which is what I assumed Shenault would be. Gallup seems like he could be a good gutters or strikes prospect, IMHO.

I guess we need to see what happens with DJ Chark. There’s a chance he may return to the team with a new contract, and Marvin Jones still has a year left. 

I owned both Chark and Shenault in the same dynasty team this season and jumped at the offer of a ‘23 1st and ‘23 4th for Shenault. Not bad turnaround for a mid/late 2nd round ‘20 pick  player. The other guy did it off the back of Chark injury hoping Shenault would start to see a pile of targets and it just didn’t happen. He’s the kind of player that a team like the 49ers or another well run offence would get the best out of, but it’s hard to trust the Jaguars to do so. 

Unless something drastically changes this off-season, I do not see him as draftable next year (unless your league has really deep rosters).  

Jacksonville's offense just is not good enough to take a flier on a player with a questionable role like this. 

All about Chark if he returns. Marvin can continue his typical boring but value WR role in RL and in fantasy.

Shenault to me just seems like a lost cause unless he improves and the offense improves, coaching etc.

He still looks the same to me.

He needed to develop his WR skills since entering the NFL and I don't really see it. He needs to do one thing very well and then the Jags can play off of that and utilize his other skills.

Are they in another rebuild with another new coach? It could just be easier to trade him than to make plays for him

ESPN's Michael DiRocco reports the Jaguars may be open to trading WR Laviska Shenault. 

The Jaguars loaded up on free agent pass catchers on Monday, inking Christian Kirk, Evan Engram, and Zay Jones. Doug Pederson is the second straight Jacksonville head coach who seems less-than-enamored with Shenault, a fantasy football folk hero whose best chance at success might be elsewhere. Shenault -- a dual threat wideout -- in 2021 failed to score a touchdown on 100 targets in the horrendous Jaguars offense. He could be a useful gadget player in an offense with established pass catchers. 

RELATED: 

Marvin Jones

, Christian Kirk

SOURCE: Mike Clay on Twitter 

Mar 15, 2022, 9:14 AM ET

Young WR who was highly-regarded coming out of college, still on his rookie contract, and who was completely wasted in the football wasteland of Duvall county?  Yes, I'll take that guy off your hands for a 6th rounder thank you very much.

Young WR who was highly-regarded coming out of college, still on his rookie contract, and who was completely wasted in the football wasteland of Duvall county?  Yes, I'll take that guy off your hands for a 6th rounder thank you very much.
Yea hoping the Bucs get involved here for sure. 

I had heard rumors of them open to shopping him yesterday so I checked his social feed to see if he was venting and he was in fact just working out, at the Jags facility right around the time the Kirk deal went down. Talk about awkward.

He's going to be a bargain for some team but if he remains a Jag I'd agree he's not really draftable.

That is 4 coaching staffs now that don't seem to want him. I think I pretty much have to call him a bust at this point. I put out a message a few weeks ago saying highest bidder gets him. No nibbles. 

That is 4 coaching staffs now that don't seem to want him. I think I pretty much have to call him a bust at this point. I put out a message a few weeks ago saying highest bidder gets him. No nibbles. 
0 good coaches though.

Guy is 24 and has 121 catches to his name. I definitely wouldn't be giving up on him yet, fantasy or NFL wise. 

I do wonder a little bit if he should be used a little like Cordarrelle Patterson, where he maybe should be a RB/WR He's got the size for it at 6-1 227. 

Hell, I'd offer a 4. 

NFL reporter Jordan Schultz reports the Chiefs have "inquired" about trading for Laviska Shenault.

Shenault is believed to be on the trade block in Jacksonville with the new coaching staff in town and the splurge in free agency on Christian Kirk and Zay Jones along with re-signing Laquon Treadwell. Marvin Jones and Jamal Agnew are also still in the mix. The Jaguars need to move someone. Shenault is a former second-round pick who still has supporters around the league. Even before the trade of Tyreek Hill, the Chiefs needed wideout help.

RELATED: 

Kansas City Chiefs

SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter

Mar 24, 2022, 12:11 PM ET

Where is his ideal place to be traded?  If it weren't for the plethora of options already on the roster I think he would fit perfectly with the system in SF.

He had a few moments in the 2021 preseason where I thought he might be used like Deebo. And he was targeted 10 times in the Miami game including the catch that setup the game-winning FG. He wasn't consistently utilized and only had 11 carries the entire season. A change of coaches might be the answer.

Where is his ideal place to be traded?  If it weren't for the plethora of options already on the roster I think he would fit perfectly with the system in SF.
Answering my own question - patriots.  If BB decides to make a package around him, he'd be lethal.

Answering my own question - patriots.  If BB decides to make a package around him, he'd be lethal.
He would also have the added benefit that he wasn't actually drafted by NE, so there's at least a CHANCE he'll work out.

Julien Edelman in 2009 was a long time ago, at least until you realize you have to go back to the 90's and Parcells to find another one that worked out for them.

Brutal.

He would also have the added benefit that he wasn't actually drafted by NE, so there's at least a CHANCE he'll work out.

Julien Edelman in 2009 was a long time ago, at least until you realize you have to go back to the 90's and Parcells to find another one that worked out for them.

Brutal.
Even Meyers us a ufda

Brutal.

You are forgetting Branch...so that gets us to 2002...Mitchell was on a path to be a good one until injuries derailed him but overall, it is truly amazing how bad they have been drafting this position...Harry, Dobson, Tate, Jackson, Boyce and a bunch of other miscellaneous names did not work out...oddly enough Berrios looks like he may have been a good pick...but they cut him.

You are forgetting Branch...so that gets us to 2002...
No, I remember him.

He played 11 years and averaged 604yards/3.5td per season. That was after being drafted in the 2nd round.

I think most people would be surprised that his career max scoring TD was 6, and he only got more than 818yards once in his career and even that one year he never reached a thousand yards.

No, I remember him.

He played 11 years and averaged 604yards/3.5td per season. That was after being drafted in the 2nd round.

I think most people would be surprised that his career max scoring TD was 6, and he only got more than 818yards once in his career and even that one year he never reached a thousand yards.

He was a solid WR for them in his first tour, well worth the second-round pick...Pats were more run first and the league was not pass-heavy like it is...Brady loved him and his highlight was winning a Super Bowl MVP...he was never gonna be an All Pro but if he stayed with them he would have had a real solid career...instead he left for big $, dealt with a string of injuries and never took his game to another level.  

Gotta quit getting my hopes up for trade news each time I see thread with updates.  Maybe something special happens during NFL draft and GB pushes middling pick for him after missing out on rookies 
You an me both!   I just hope he doesn't end up with Eagles or Giants...  I just don't see any life for WR there.  

GB is a dream opportunity!  But what are the realistic odds?  1 in 20?  

New Jaguars coach Doug Pederson said he thinks Laviska Shenault can help the team as a return man.

With Jamal Agnew (hip) still rehabbing and in question for Week 1, Shenault is getting work as a returner after the Jaguars added Christian Kirk and Zay Jones at wide receiver over the offseason. Shenault's offensive role looks like it has evaporated under the new staff with Kirk, Jones, and Marvin Jones likely settled in as Jacksonville's new trio. Shenault is still a candidate to be playing elsewhere by Week 1.

SOURCE: Jamal St. Cyr on Twitter

May 31, 2022, 6:13 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread