What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Laviska Shenault Jr. - SEA (1 Viewer)

I answered this above (and you bolded it) - based on his rookie snaps. Plus the OC is not an unknown. We may not know exactly what Meyer will do but Darrell Bevel has a substantial body of work in the NFL. Jax will run 11 personnel 70% of the team, even if they want to run more this year.

I’ve read probably 8-10 articles on the Jac trio recently bc it’s got  to be right there with CIN & PIT as one of the more difficult to decipher this early. Rookie QB, wild card HC, not insignificant WR FA signing, rookie RB who will play some snaps outside, new OC, low investment bell cow from last year who will surely see his role diminish. There are a lot of factors in the mix.

We’re just throwing spaghetti against the wall rn. Going to need to see TC competition and some PS usage for more clues. We don’t draft until the last Sunday in August but there’s 5 guys on Jax who I might consider drafting so I’m monitoring.
ETA: another change is their primary slot guy (Cole) departed. Jax ran 11 personnel 69% and Detroit was like 74/72% the years DB was calling plays. All of the three Jax WRs in the discussion are boundary guys but Shenault had good stats in his 25 rookie snaps in the slot and his QB play will be an upgrade. Jones AD/T was like 11th among the 53 WRs who saw 100 targets last year.

@Biabreakable I was looking this morning but could not find…will post if I stumble across it again….one of the articles broke down Jax X - Y - Z receiver snaps/targets in 2020.

ETA: another change is their primary slot guy (Cole) departed. Jax ran 11 personnel 69% and Detroit was like 74/72% the years DB was calling plays. All of the three Jax WRs in the discussion are boundary guys but Shenault had good stats in his 25 rookie snaps in the slot and his QB play will be an upgrade. Jones AD/T was like 11th among the 53 WRs who saw 100 targets last year.

@Biabreakable I was looking this morning but could not find…will post if I stumble across it again….one of the articles broke down Jax X - Y - Z receiver snaps/targets in 2020.
Well that is the main source of my confusion here as I don't think LS was the X WR I believe that was Chark because of his skill set compared to Shenault. The clips I linked show that LS was not on the LOS at the start of many of those plays which means he is playing the Z or the flanker or whatever the OC calls it. 

I would be interested to see that information if you or any one else does have access to it. That would help make things a bit more clear.

I am familiar with Bevel as he did coach for the Vikings for a time. It was a long time ago now though so I don't remember how often he was running 3 WR with them or other teams since.

ESPN’s Michael DiRocco reports WR Laviska Shenault was “one of the highlights of the spring.”

Shenault was the “best offensive player” at the Jaguars' OTAs and minicamp, according to DiRocco. Urban Meyer has used Shenault in the slot in offseason practices after splitting time at running back as a rookie. The additions of Marvin Jones and Travis Etienne cap Shenault’s targets, but there’s room for growth in an offense that’s getting better quarterback play from Trevor Lawrence. Shenault, who had injuries at Colorado and missed two games last season, will need to prove he can stay healthy to make a Year 2 leap.

SOURCE: ESPN

Jun 26, 2021, 10:35 AM ET

I just picked up Laviska in a trade. He was a throw in actually but I’m getting a little giddy about this fella. Anyone else own him and curious to see how he does with the new regime in Jax?

I'm thinking this guy might be best value there is right now.  How is he not a target monster with no ETN?

I think the James Robinson angle has buried the real story--what to do with ETN's targets.  

Fantasy Football game film analysis: Marquez Callaway is for real, plus Steelers WR suggestions

Excerpt:

La vida de Laviska?! 

No one was happy about Travis Etienne's rookie season ending, but one likely benefactor figures to be second-year receiver Laviska Shenault. But before you take him, you should know what kind of receiver you're getting. 

Shenault fits into Jacksonville's new quick-throw spread offense in that he's a thick, strong receiver who runs routes well and can change direction quickly. But one look at the kinds of routes he regularly runs and you'll see that speed is not his specialty. He gets open with his footwork and physical nature, not with his burst or acceleration. You could see defenders sticking with him on plenty of his downfield routes against the Browns and Saints. 

Proof has been in the preseason: Of the 27 patterns he's run this month, 19 have been inside of 10 yards. That figures to continue into the regular season, which means Shenault should land a high catch rate and, potentially, an excellent target share. But assume there will also be some efficiency woes that cap him in half- and non-PPR leagues. He shouldn't get taken until Round 8 at a minimum.

He may also prove to be the second-worst value among Jacksonville's receivers behind D.J. Chark, who's the first Jaguars wideout off the board. Keep an open mind on Marvin Jones, who is 31 years old but for two weeks has shown considerable chemistry and timing with Lawrence. The veteran has finished inside the top-30 in PPR points per game four straight seasons. Jones is a mortal lock to be available after 100th overall and should return solid value if you're adding him onto rosters in Round 9 or 10. 

I'm thinking this guy might be best value there is right now.  How is he not a target monster with no ETN?

I think the James Robinson angle has buried the real story--what to do with ETN's targets.  
Agree 100%. Also there is a good chance, that Shenault is a lot more than just a schemed touch WR. There is WR2 upside here if things break right in my opinion, and he's pretty universally available as a WR4.

travdogg said:
Agree 100%. Also there is a good chance, that Shenault is a lot more than just a schemed touch WR. There is WR2 upside here if things break right in my opinion, and he's pretty universally available as a WR4.
I’m thinking he could stud out this year. Going into his last year in college before he got hurt he was considered a possible top 10 talent in that draft. Went in round 2 and now has a real Qb throwing to him with ETN out for the year. It’s potentially a perfect recipe brewing for him for top 25 wr EOY 

Draft Dominator and Yahoo both keep slamming me for drafting him as a 4/5 WR.  I keep drafting him?
handing out grades for my mock drafts just reinforces conformity. Get the herd in line to agree with the experts rankings.

Go back and look at your draft in 3-4 weeks; rankings and ADP don’t mean anything. Build a solid team in the first five rounds. THEN get your guys and I don’t care where they’re ranked.  

go. get. your. guys.

handing out grades for my mock drafts just reinforces conformity. Get the herd in line to agree with the experts rankings.

Go back and look at your draft in 3-4 weeks; rankings and ADP don’t mean anything. Build a solid team in the first five rounds. THEN get your guys and I don’t care where they’re ranked.  

go. get. your. guys.
I have Deebo and Shenault on every team I have.  Got my guys.

I got Viska for 15$ in an auction draft.  With Lawrence showing what he can do and the ETN injury Shenault has a real shot at blowing up.  I don't put a lot of stock in people worrying about Marvin Jones eating up lots of targets.  He may get his but the big plays and YAC abilities will come with Viska.  He's special 

Laviska Shenault caught all three of his targets for 33 yards and a touchdown in the Jaguars' third preseason game against the Cowboys.

The entire Jacksonville offense looked dialed in for Trevor Lawrence's three drives. Shenault picked up 20 yards on a screen that saw him drag multiple defenders for at least 10 of those yards. He then capped off the drive with a touchdown reception on a well-timed throw from Lawrence. Shenault wasn't competing with Marvin Jones or D.J. Chark for targets but it's still clear that getting him touches will be a priority for Jacksonville. He remains an obvious breakout candidate going in the middle rounds of fantasy drafts. 

Aug 29, 2021, 3:16 PM ET

complete bust as far as this year goes, more as a result of just being in a bad situation in Jacksonville as opposed to his personal talent. 

Yeah hard to hang on to him at this point.  May have a boom here and there but can’t count as n amy consistency IMO 

Yeah hard to hang on to him at this point.  May have a boom here and there but can’t count as n amy consistency IMO 
The offense is in shambles.  Don't know what else we were expecting early in the season honestly.  If you've got the depth keep him on your bench.

Draft Dominator and Yahoo both keep slamming me for drafting him as a 4/5 WR.  I keep drafting him?

Turns out they were right.  🤬  SEVEN targets TWO catches -3 yards.  How is that possible?  What about all the spring and summer awesomeness?  Is Lawrence that bad?  Scheme?  Whole team?  Is Laviska bad??  I might have to drop him in a least one league (I have him in several), that same league I also picked up Lawrence late as a b/u QB, but thinking about dumping him for (gulp) Daniel Jones.  

OVERREATION?

Drop city. 

I took a late flier given all the hype. But it’s not happening this year on this train wreck of a team. Meyer is predictably clueless and has no idea how to put Laviska in a position to succeed. Will be sending this dude to the wire for a more promising option this week. 

Jaguars coach Urban Meyer said Laviska Shenault (shoulder) is expected to be available to play in the team's Week 3 game against the Cardinals.

Shenault underwent an MRI on his shoulder after leaving the Jags' Week 2 loss with the injury. Meyer has chosen to use Shenault as a gadget player through two games, giving him plenty of looks at or behind the line of scrimmage. He turned his seven targets in -3 yards last week. A matchup with the Cardinals should help Shenault get on track but his suboptimal usage remains a concern. He projects to be a WR3/4 option versus Arizona.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 20, 2021, 1:53 PM ET

Anyone holding on here? 
I know it’s early, but this season seems like a lost cause already. Meyer has no clue how to use him, the offense is horrible, and Marvin Jones has established himself as the alpha WR (and Chark is still in the mix for targets as well). It of course depends on what you can get on the wire, but he’s definitely going to be first to go out the door on my team if something better comes along.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think he's getting a lot of targets. But if you had suspicions that this is a clown organization that hired a guy in over his head, you didn't change your mind the first two weeks

Haha yeah, I figured "why use early round draft capital on a WR when there's always some churn on the wire" and ended up with Aiyuk and Shenault. Hoping to get Cordarelle Patterson now to be a "WR", best out there lol

GoBirds said:
Anyone holding on here? 
Strongly considering a drop. He's basically my 5th WR behind Davante, Woods, Godwin and Shepherd. We have a few guys of interest on the WW. You think any of these guys have more ROS value in non-PPR?

Pascal
KJ Osborn
Cephus
Van Jefferson
Reagor
Elijah Moore

GoBirds said:
Anyone holding on here? 

In my one Viska league I'm holding on for now but only because AB can go into IR, so I had a free spot for a defence as a result. Would be gone later in the week otherwise

Edit - got my leagues mixed up. Dropped Toney and kicker for Patterson and Renfrow, Viska is getting cut for a kicker later in the week if I can't complete a trade to free a roster spot

Waiting another week. If he doesn't get to touch the ball on the positive side of the LOS this week, I'm out.

Laviska Shenault (shoulder) is practicing in full for Week 3 against the Cardinals.

Shenault exited Week 2 and needed an MRI, but he obviously avoided serious injury and will be out there against Arizona. Shenault has nine catches for 47 scoreless yards on 16 targets through two games. D.J. Chark and Marvin Jones have been more productive in the Jaguars' receiving corps.

Sep 22, 2021, 4:45 PM ET

Might be dumping for Mooney now that Fields is in play. Viska seems like a tough hold right now. Odds this offense is firing on all cylinders are at any point this season is very low.

Users who are viewing this thread