What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's up with Da'rick Rogers (2 Viewers)

I anticipate Da'Rick Rogers will land on a roster somewhere, but for the moment, teams are busy culling their own rosters, and while Rogers is a physical phenom, that alone does not equate to success in the NFL. The same red flags that led to Rogers not being drafted, despite his immense physical talent, will cause teams to take pause before filling a coveted roster spot with Rogers at present.

It was a head scratcher why he chose the Bills-

Stevie Johnson, TJ Graham, Goodwin, Robert Woods. All recently drafted or firmly entrenched.....

I knew their was some influence from his Agent(Same as Robert Woods, and they became tight during the pre-draft process)

Having Rogers on a few teams, I had hoped he may get cut. He was gonna languish as a WR 4/5 all year most likely, even though he may have the 2nd/3rd most talent.

I'd put my money on the Jets. They should have an early waiver priority I would think, and they need wrs pretty bad....
Really? I think the reason he chose the Bills is primarily because of who they had at WR- one "entrenched" guy and a bunch of unknowns that he had a chance to beat out.
Exactly what I said-Firmly entrenched(Stevie) and then recently drafted(Graham, Woods, Goodwin).

Now maybe Rogers' agent underestimated the talent there, but he had multiple camp invite offers.

Stevie Johnson, TJ Graham, Goodwin, Robert Woods. All recently drafted or firmly entrenched.....

I knew their was some influence from his Agent(Same as Robert Woods, and they became tight during the pre-draft process)

Having Rogers on a few teams, I had hoped he may get cut. He was gonna languish as a WR 4/5 all year most likely, even though he may have the 2nd/3rd most talent.

I'd put my money on the Jets. They should have an early waiver priority I would think, and they need wrs pretty bad....
Really? I think the reason he chose the Bills is primarily because of who they had at WR- one "entrenched" guy and a bunch of unknowns that he had a chance to beat out.
Exactly what I said-Firmly entrenched(Stevie) and then recently drafted(Graham, Woods, Goodwin).

Now maybe Rogers' agent underestimated the talent there, but he had multiple camp invite offers.
You act as if having recently drafted guys to compete with is a bad thing for him. It's a lot easier to beat out those guys than established vets.

IMO, it was far from a head scratcher why he chose the Bills. They gave him perhaps his best chance at making an NFL team, he just didn't get it done.

Last edited by a moderator:
He gets to choose. General thinking ifs that he has a better chance with the team that knows him. That's what his agent will say.

Now if the Bills don't even try, then alarm bells need to be screaming. They are already going off.

The Bills cut Brandon Kaufman, who was firmly ahead of Rogers on the depth chart, and signed WR Tommy Streeter to the practice squad. I really don't think the Bills are interested in Rogers.

I was hoping he landed in Miami or Philly. I saw him play live twice and thought he looked Andre Johnson like. I think he'll play for some nfl team this year and do well.

His long term success will be dictated by whether he gets his head in the game or not. History seems to indicate this is a long shot, but if we could predict this accurately we would all be NFL GMs.

loose circuits said:
Is this guy getting cut in most leagues now?
Yes, for a guy with his ability to go undrafted then get cut by a lousy team like the Bills and end up on a practice squad he has to be completely uncoachable.

Is there any evidence that his cut was based on character and not performance? Or it that just the assumption?

Either way, he barely warrants a roster spot in dynasty leagues at this point. I will keep him in the back of my mind in case there's any good news in the future, but for the time being it would be hard for me to justify using a slot on a player who went undrafted and was cut in training camp. Most of my leagues aren't deep enough to justify keeping such a longshot.

I'm stuck in a holding pattern with Rogers at this point. It would cost me a cap penalty to cut him right now. It's not a lot, but I may need every penny as the season progresses. As it stands, Rogers is on my Taxi Squad. If another team wants to sign him, I am 75% certain I wouldn't match an offer.

If he stays a part of the Colts practice squad all year without incident, then I may even consider keeping him into the 2014 off season.

He was cut because of attitude and performance, made consistent mistakes in practice and was un-coachable from the Buffalo papers. Head wasn't in it, had to be told when to sub in and out. Goodwin had to cover for him multiple times. Was yelled at often. Most WR's are diva's, I'm surprised he wasn't on the practice squad but buffalo had a stable of guys that were performing.

Alluro said:
Colts practice squad...Great potential landing spot.
Yeah, if they have the patience, and he decides to take football seriously, things could pan out...

It really made no sense for Buffalo to keep him around (maybe PS) with the youth/depth they seem to have at WR right now.

Da'Rick has been moved from PS to active roster with the Colts... interesting.

Released this morning. I'm guessing he gets picked up quickly and will go on to be yet another player the Bills bumbled their way through.
Got picked up real quickly didn't he man. Fail.
Your clock ticks quicker than mine I guess. Teams haven't even cut down to 53 until the weekend.

I understand that a team is probably looking internally at their own players before they begin to look at other teams' cuts.

To me, quickly means he will be on a team after week1 of the regular season. At that point, he is absolutely no risk, etc.

I know, as a Bills fan, you want to defend your team and justify the cut but give it some time and I understand the angst you probably feel while he is out there because, let's face it, its' going to look pretty bad IF he emerges with another team and it becomes obvious that he is a player that the Bills should have kept. But even if that happens, all teams do it at some point. We do it on our fantasy teams. Don't sweat it.
See? Just takes a little patience. Two weeks into the season and he is now on a young offensive team with all sorts of upside.

You act as if having recently drafted guys to compete with is a bad thing for him. It's a lot easier to beat out those guys than established vets.

IMO, it was far from a head scratcher why he chose the Bills. They gave him perhaps his best chance at making an NFL team, he just didn't get it done.
It was a bad thing for him. Competing with guys who were early round picks. No GM likes cutting 2nd or 3rd rounders within a year or two of drafting them over an UDFA......if they do, they are admitting to a mistake. That goes over real well in the front office. Teams aren't going to give up on their young draft picks, and the Bills had a lot of them......only keeping 5 wrs, Rogers' chance at making the roster were slim.

I agree, his talent, you'd think he'd be able to beat out some of them, but it's also a numbers game-and injuries factor into keeping a non SP Teams guy over one that does play Special Teams

It was a headscratcher......bad advice from his agent. He had supposedly 15-20 teams interested in him. And most likely an easier path to making a team.

If you were an Undrafted Free Agent, what is your mindset? Do you think you are going to go to a team and just make the starting lineup over Stevie Johnson and the high pick Robert Woods. No, you are just hoping to latch onto a team and work your way up.......humbled approach.

It was a bad thing for him. Competing with guys who were early round picks. No GM likes cutting 2nd or 3rd rounders within a year or two of drafting them over an UDFA......if they do, they are admitting to a mistake. That goes over real well in the front office. Teams aren't going to give up on their young draft picks, and the Bills had a lot of them......only keeping 5 wrs, Rogers' chance at making the roster were slim.

I agree, his talent, you'd think he'd be able to beat out some of them, but it's also a numbers game-and injuries factor into keeping a non SP Teams guy over one that does play Special Teams

It was a headscratcher......bad advice from his agent. He had supposedly 15-20 teams interested in him. And most likely an easier path to making a team.

If you were an Undrafted Free Agent, what is your mindset? Do you think you are going to go to a team and just make the starting lineup over Stevie Johnson and the high pick Robert Woods. No, you are just hoping to latch onto a team and work your way up.......humbled approach.
Completely disagree. First of all, the Bills had a front office overhaul this offseason, so your first paragraph pretty much goes out the window.

Secondly, the Bills kept 6 WRs, not 5. One of them is Chris Hogan, who was undrafted, had been cut by 3 other teams in his 2 seasons, and has zero career receptions. Another is Marcus Easley, a 4th round pick who they cut in the past, and who also has zero career receptions. He didn't have to beat out those "early round picks" (only 1 was a 2nd rounder, by the way) in order to make the team- he just had to beat out one of two scrubs.

Besides Stevie Johnson, the 5 other WRs on their roster had a combined 31 career receptions. I didn't check the numbers, but they probably have the lowest payroll at WR in the NFL. Most of them weren't high round picks and were drafted by the prior regime. New front office, new coaches, new QB, no history or favorites, etc.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a team that would have presented a better opportunity for him.

just picked him up off FCFS waivers in 3 of 4 dynasty leagues. Someone else grabbed him in 1 league the second waivers opened. Word is out!

Rotoworld:

Colts signed WR Da'Rick Rogers off their practice squad.

It's more fallout from the Dwayne Allen season-ending hip injury. The Colts are going to use more three-wide formations now, so they need talented bodies behind Reggie Wayne, T.Y. Hilton and Darrius Heyward-Bey (shoulder). Rogers is certainly that. Despite getting cut by the Bills and going unclaimed on waivers in August, his game-tape from college and measurables are impressive. Rogers is a Dynasty hold and needs to be on deeper re-draft watch lists as well.

Source: George Bremer on Twitter

Sep 19 - 12:25 PM

Completely disagree. First of all, the Bills had a front office overhaul this offseason, so your first paragraph pretty much goes out the window.

Secondly, the Bills kept 6 WRs, not 5. One of them is Chris Hogan, who was undrafted, had been cut by 3 other teams in his 2 seasons, and has zero career receptions. Another is Marcus Easley, a 4th round pick who they cut in the past, and who also has zero career receptions. He didn't have to beat out those "early round picks" (only 1 was a 2nd rounder, by the way) in order to make the team- he just had to beat out one of two scrubs.

Besides Stevie Johnson, the 5 other WRs on their roster had a combined 31 career receptions. I didn't check the numbers, but they probably have the lowest payroll at WR in the NFL. Most of them weren't high round picks and were drafted by the prior regime. New front office, new coaches, new QB, no history or favorites, etc.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a team that would have presented a better opportunity for him.
Yes, they did have a coaching overhaul....and front office, Buddy Nix stepped away as the GM after the draft.

Doug Whaley, the GM-in-Waiting had been with the organization for some time.

So, it is not like the front office was completely new. Whaley was still involved. He came from Pittsburgh to Buffalo in 2010, and he was the assistant GM. Just became the full time GM in 2013. I am sure he had input in their draft the last three years.....He has been there now 4 years, and came over well respected from Pittsburgh

When were Graham and Goodwin drafted? Graham, 3.6. Goodwin, 3.14

Stevie

Woods

Graham

Goodwin

So, there's 4.....all drafted 3rd round or earlier...in Stevies case, he's a 7th round hit.....and entrenched

I highly doubt he's gonna trump one of those guys off the roster based upon draft pedigree.

He joined a team that drafted two wrs same year. Are you really going to dump goodwin, who you just drafted, over the UDFA? Give up on Graham after a year?

It's not really that big a deal here, but if he wanted to make a team out of camp, he should have gone to a team like the Jets or the Panthers.....especially if they were one of the 20 teams who inquired about him.

Using your above analogy, there were realistically 1, maybe 2 spots max....he could try to stick. Buffalo was not the best option, evidenced by him being cut.

Again, opportunity slim in Buffalo, he was cut.

Yes, they did have a coaching overhaul....and front office, Buddy Nix stepped away as the GM after the draft.

Doug Whaley, the GM-in-Waiting had been with the organization for some time.

So, it is not like the front office was completely new. Whaley was still involved. He came from Pittsburgh to Buffalo in 2010, and he was the assistant GM. Just became the full time GM in 2013. I am sure he had input in their draft the last three years.....He has been there now 4 years, and came over well respected from Pittsburgh

When were Graham and Goodwin drafted? Graham, 3.6. Goodwin, 3.14

Stevie

Woods

Graham

Goodwin

So, there's 4.....all drafted 3rd round or earlier...in Stevies case, he's a 7th round hit.....and entrenched

I highly doubt he's gonna trump one of those guys off the roster based upon draft pedigree.

He joined a team that drafted two wrs same year. Are you really going to dump goodwin, who you just drafted, over the UDFA? Give up on Graham after a year?

It's not really that big a deal here, but if he wanted to make a team out of camp, he should have gone to a team like the Jets or the Panthers.....especially if they were one of the 20 teams who inquired about him.

Using your above analogy, there were realistically 1, maybe 2 spots max....he could try to stick. Buffalo was not the best option, evidenced by him being cut.

Again, opportunity slim in Buffalo, he was cut.
I feel like I'm in bizarro world. He only had to beat out 1 of 2 guys with zero career receptions, no draft pedigree, and who have already been cut in the past, even if you forget about the rookies. There was a new front office, a new coaching staff, and a new QB. What's not to like?

The Jets only kept 5 WRs- every single one of them more proven than the guys on the Bills (besides Johnson) with the exception of the rookie Spadola. They cut Edwards, Obomanu, and Massaquoi, who are better than some of the guys kept by the Bills. The Panthers also only kept 5 WRs, again most of them more proven and/or better pedigree than every Bill besides Stevie.

Being cut in Buffalo absolutely does not prove it wasn't his best option- completely flawed logic.

Opportunity great in Buffalo, he was cut. Seems undeniable, yet here we are.

Did some people actually roster this guy in redraft when he was activated for the Colts? That's the definition of optimism.

The amazing mystery of an undrafted free agent with a myriad of problems that can't make a team. it's a head scratcher!

Re-signed to active roster.

by Marty Gitlin | CBSSports.com
(05:58 pm ET) The Colts made several minor player moves on Wednesday. They re-signed wide receiver Da'rick Rogers and running back Kerwynn Williams while releasing wide receiver Danny Coale and running back Miguel Maysonet .

I suppose that if they wipe out Jax, by the 4th Q, he may see some action.

Still love this guys upside, I hope he gets a chance...Probably the most physically gifted Tenn wide receiver from this class

Rotoworld:

Colts re-signed WR Da'Rick Rogers to their practice squad.
Rogers, who was waived on Tuesday, went unclaimed once again. That allows the Colts to re-stash him. Rogers remains in a reasonable spot for deep Dynasty value as Reggie Wayne turns 36 years old in November and Darrius Heyward-Bey is on a one-year contract.

Source: colts.com

Da'Rick Rogers remains on the Colts practice squad despite Reggie Wayne's season-ending injury.
The disappointments continue for Rogers. First he went undrafted in April, then he faceplanted in Bills camp, then he went unclaimed on waivers and now the Colts decided to promote Griff Whalen to the active roster instead of him. Beat writer Stephen Holder suggests Rogers isn't ready yet and Whalen knows the offense better.Oct 30 - 10:09 AM
Source: Stephen Holder on Twitter

Whalen has already been active on game day before, is a comfortable target for Luck, and looked really good in preseason last year before a season ending injury kept him out.

Da'Rick still being there on the PS is a good thing, he needs stability and to learn an offenses and work his way up. It's a little discouraging that Whalen was called up first, but understandable.

Meh. I'd like it more if DHB or Hilton were out.

They desperately need an underneath route runner more than anything. Whalen is the only one they've got (and I don't know his health situation other than he got rocked on a pass). This 6-3 team seems to be in complete disarray. Offense seems to be deep completions to Hilton or bust right now.

They desperately need an underneath route runner more than anything. Whalen is the only one they've got (and I don't know his health situation other than he got rocked on a pass). This 6-3 team seems to be in complete disarray. Offense seems to be deep completions to Hilton or bust right now.
could they be looking at using T.Y. on the inside more with Rodgers and DHB playing wide. ?

lod01 said:
The Duff Man said:
Look for Luck's INT numbers to shoot up as Da'Brick runs the wrong routes
In other words, someone else beat you to him.
More likely he actually watched some preseason games or read the camp reports and knows just how many times Rogers completely screwed up routes and left his QB out to dry.

Craig_MiamiFL said:

As a Colts fan the last thing I want is Hilton out. That would be the end of the season as far as I'm concerned. He's the only real weapon we have.

Users who are viewing this thread