What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's up with Da'rick Rogers (3 Viewers)

In our 2QB league my little :fishy: brother took Rogers at the 3.02 spot. His killer draft consisted of Tyler Wilson, Robert Woods, and Da'rick Rogers. He then proudly proclaimed that he was done as there "is nobody of value left."

I then proceeded to select Keenan Allen at 3.05, Tyler Eifert at 3.06, and Christine Michael at 3.10 :clyde:
You should stop drafting with 6 year olds.

Rotoworld:

UDFA WR Da'Rick Rogers didn't play a single snap in the Bills' third preseason game against the Redskins on Saturday.
The Bills went three-and-out on nine of their 12 possessions and ran just 49 offensive plays. Still, bottom-of-the-roster receivers Marcus Easley (6 snaps), Chris Hogan (3), Demarco Sampson (3), Brad Smith (2), and Brandon Kaufman (2) all got into the game ahead of Rogers. Rogers is going to have to light it up in the preseason finale if he wants to make the team, but that still might not be enough. Buffalo could be looking to stash him on the practice squad.

Source: Buffalo News

Released this morning. I'm guessing he gets picked up quickly and will go on to be yet another player the Bills bumbled their way through.

Drafted in the 2nd round of a million rookie drafts. Ha.
Laugh now but being cut might be the best thing for his fantasy value. There is no way he clears waivers to make a practice squad so when a needy team like the Chargers or a savvy team like the Packers claims him, his value is better there than with the Bills. I'm not saying either of those two teams would be the ones that pick him up but someone will. As long as its not the Jets or Raiders, his outlook improves.
I am sure after the 4th round, people thought, gee, I hope he doesn't get drafted now, so he can pick the best situation for himself. Bills have been so impressed, he has been getting into games well after guys I have never heard of, and the practice reports are hilarious: Sulking, getting yelled at regularly by coaches, not knowing where to line up.

Now, he's not even making final cuts, and some team is gonna pick him up, and he's gonna make their final 53?

Nah, I'll just laugh.
You put a lot of faith in the Bills making great decisions and other teams around the league not being willing to check their ego and think they can "fix" a player.Aren't the Bills the same team that got rid of Lynch and thought Ryan Fitzpatrick was good enough to give a payday to? Hasn't every team in the league, at one time or another, kicked the tires on a wayward young player with obvious talent? Even Titus Young got a look-see from a pretty respected HC recently.

Talent gives lots of passes. Laugh some more but someone will show interest in him if he gets cut.
How can anyone say that getting rid of Lynch was the wrong move? Sure the guy has been great for Seattle, but Jackson and Spiller have combined to be just as good, or better, and at lower costs.

And while Fitzpatrick didn't work out, his production was pretty much middle of the road as was his pay.

But you don't give them credit for being right on guys like Kyle Williams, Stevie Johnson, Jason Peters, Cordy Glenn, Jairus Byrd, and Fred Jackson? Seems like they judged those talents pretty well.
Its not worth picking nits about but in general I think I would rather have maintained the LYNCH/FJAX combo and used that high pick on another player (there were A LOT of good ones that fit Bills Needs). IT all hindsight so I won't say "coulda had Dez" or anything like that but it just seems odd to me that they tend to draft players in spots where they don't have the need or could have waited and they let the good ones go. Jason Peters was an exceptional long-term player for them potentially and they let him go for what reason (was it money?).

Everything I have read about this kid is that he has oodles of talent. I havent really followed the bills training camp outside of ej manuel, stevie johnson, and spiller. How could they just release him like that? It's not like the bills are so stacked at wr. Strange.

Everything I have read about this kid is that he has oodles of talent. I havent really followed the bills training camp outside of ej manuel, stevie johnson, and spiller. How could they just release him like that? It's not like the bills are so stacked at wr. Strange.
I really just hadn't heard much positive press about him. Woods and Goodwin seem to be NFL-ready and Hogan and Kaufman have reportedly done very very well in camp. Sounds like a case of too many "high-upside" players and Rogers may have been the odd man out. Maybe this is the wake up call he needs. I'm sure someone will bring him in ASAP....he said he had like 20 offers after the draft.

Actually, the Bills are pretty stacked at WR. They have a crapload of young WRs with high upsides that have all been performing performing exceptionally well in camp. Rogers dropped passes all summer, ran wrong routes, ran bad routes, forgot to run in and actually play a couple of times during the preseason and just all around didn't show much. Every few days he would catch a long bomb against the 3rd string defense. That was about it.

Meanwhile, guys like Goodwin and Graham have been lighting it up every day. Goodwin has been incredible with his concentration, understanding of defenses, blocking and special teams play. Hogan has been another guy that was an UDFA and has been making plays every day. Guy runs great routes, has good hands, and manages to get open all the time. In fact, the coaches gave him the nickname 7-11 because he's open all the time. And of course there's Robert Woods who all the veteran guys have raved about and said he looks like a 5th or 6th year vet with his routes and understanding of the game. He looks ready to be a low #1 or high #2 WR in just a year or so.

Lastly, I'm guessing the Bills are almost forced to keep Brad Smith now just due to his ability to play QB. He's been decent in camp (better than Rogers overall) and he brings QB ability and special teams prowess.

Anyone that has followed the Bills all summer and thinks Rogers should have made the team should have their head examined.

Maybe this is the wake up call he needs. I'm sure someone will bring him in ASAP....he said he had like 20 offers after the draft.
He may very well catch on with another team but I don't think this is a good reason. Of course several teams were willing to roll the dice before they actually had to make roster cuts. Now, it will be much harder for him to get that chance IMO. Luckily for him, there are some teams desperate for WR help.

Jason Peters was an exceptional long-term player for them potentially and they let him go for what reason (was it money?).
Peters held out during 2008 training camp while under contract, which I think rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. He was playing on his second contract, which was well more than the UDFA minimum but well less than what a starting LT makes. He then played what a lot of people felt was a subpar 2008 season (he made the Pro Bowl, but allowed the most sacks of any LT in the NFL) all the while still harping about the money. The Bills traded him for a 1st rounder, used to select Eric Wood who's now the anchor of the OL. It's not like they let Peters go for nothing...

Jason Peters was an exceptional long-term player for them potentially and they let him go for what reason (was it money?).
Peters held out during 2008 training camp while under contract, which I think rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. He was playing on his second contract, which was well more than the UDFA minimum but well less than what a starting LT makes. He then played what a lot of people felt was a subpar 2008 season (he made the Pro Bowl, but allowed the most sacks of any LT in the NFL) all the while still harping about the money. The Bills traded him for a 1st rounder, used to select Eric Wood who's now the anchor of the OL. It's not like they let Peters go for nothing...
The Bills also viewed him as not only injury prone, but soft as well. He would get nicked up a bit and refuse to play while other guys played through some bumps and bruises. Seems their fear about his injury issues have proven true. He also committed a whole lot of stupid penalties. The guy holds all the time.

He's a very good LT, but there were a lot of reasons to trade him as well.

In our 2QB league my little :fishy: brother took Rogers at the 3.02 spot. His killer draft consisted of Tyler Wilson, Robert Woods, and Da'rick Rogers. He then proudly proclaimed that he was done as there "is nobody of value left."

I then proceeded to select Keenan Allen at 3.05, Tyler Eifert at 3.06, and Christine Michael at 3.10 :clyde:
Why would you brag about playing in leagues like this?

I really just hadn't heard much positive press about him. Woods and Goodwin seem to be NFL-ready and Hogan and Kaufman have reportedly done very very well in camp. Sounds like a case of too many "high-upside" players and Rogers may have been the odd man out.Maybe this is the wake up call he needs. I'm sure someone will bring him in ASAP....he said he had like 20 offers after the draft.
It's much easier to bring a guy in after the draft than right before the season. I suspect he's going to spend this year on a practice squad before trying to earn a roster spot next year.

The Bills also viewed him as not only injury prone, but soft as well. He would get nicked up a bit and refuse to play while other guys played through some bumps and bruises. Seems their fear about his injury issues have proven true. He also committed a whole lot of stupid penalties. The guy holds all the time.

He's a very good LT, but there were a lot of reasons to trade him as well.
Thanks for the info to you both.

So, IF someone picks him up in the next day or so, who are th elikely suspects:

Detroit was mentioned

San Diego? Surely they have to be looking at people's cuts.

A surprise team that could see potential or be enamored with his athleticism and feel like they can turn him around while sitting on him for a while? Sounds like a New England or Dallas recipe. I don't think the Patriots would do it,even in their own division but this looks like Jerry Jones all the way.

Baltimore still needy?

There is no doubt there will be guys phoning and asking whether the guy toed the line or not.

If he did he might get a look elsewhere. If not, forget about it

Personally I think it was a numbers game. They liked the draft picks better. It certainly has been pretty quiet about him

I live in Buffalo and listen to the local sports radio. He kept his nose clean just like they asked. Unfortunately in camp he didn't show a whole lot except for the first day or two. After that he showed nothing special. He didn't play very much in preseason games because the guys ahead of him on the depth chart played very well. He didn't stand a chance of making the roster.

5Rings said:

Why would you brag about playing in leagues like this?
I don't know. For all the good it does me I have yet to win the league. I'm not sure why those players slid, but they did. :shrug:

There is no doubt there will be guys phoning and asking whether the guy toed the line or not.

Personally I think it was a numbers game. They liked the draft picks better. It certainly has been pretty quiet about him
It was a head scratcher why he chose the Bills-

Stevie Johnson, TJ Graham, Goodwin, Robert Woods. All recently drafted or firmly entrenched.....

I knew their was some influence from his Agent(Same as Robert Woods, and they became tight during the pre-draft process)

Having Rogers on a few teams, I had hoped he may get cut. He was gonna languish as a WR 4/5 all year most likely, even though he may have the 2nd/3rd most talent.

I'd put my money on the Jets. They should have an early waiver priority I would think, and they need wrs pretty bad....

Stevie Johnson, TJ Graham, Goodwin, Robert Woods. All recently drafted or firmly entrenched.....

I knew their was some influence from his Agent(Same as Robert Woods, and they became tight during the pre-draft process)

Having Rogers on a few teams, I had hoped he may get cut. He was gonna languish as a WR 4/5 all year most likely, even though he may have the 2nd/3rd most talent.

I'd put my money on the Jets. They should have an early waiver priority I would think, and they need wrs pretty bad....
I hear the 9ers are willing to try anyone with 2 legs.

Really? I think the reason he chose the Bills is primarily because of who they had at WR- one "entrenched" guy and a bunch of unknowns that he had a chance to beat out.

The reason he chose the Bills is that although many teams were interested in him, the Bills were the only team to bring him in for an official pre-draft visit.

I live in Buffalo and listen to the local sports radio. He kept his nose clean just like they asked. Unfortunately in camp he didn't show a whole lot except for the first day or two. After that he showed nothing special. He didn't play very much in preseason games because the guys ahead of him on the depth chart played very well. He didn't stand a chance of making the roster.
It did sound like he had kept his head down and nose clean, but I don't think any of us really know what happens behind the scenes.

Getting cut this early in the process is a horrible omen. At this point he's worth maybe a 4th round rookie pick in a typical 12 team dynasty league. When you can't even survive the cut down to 75, something is wrong. Could be that Buffalo wants to send off bad vibes so they can add him to their practice squad without competition, but that's a very favorable reading of the situation. If they really though he had a bright future, they would've found room for him on the 53. When you add the UDFA factor with the "cut in training camp" factor, you start to get a feeling that this is a player you can safely ignore in your dynasty leagues.

So, IF someone picks him up in the next day or so, who are th elikely suspects:

Detroit was mentioned

San Diego? Surely they have to be looking at people's cuts.

A surprise team that could see potential or be enamored with his athleticism and feel like they can turn him around while sitting on him for a while? Sounds like a New England or Dallas recipe. I don't think the Patriots would do it,even in their own division but this looks like Jerry Jones all the way.

Baltimore still needy?
I think Dallas is a sleeper here... they just cut 3 WR's and Derek Dooley (Roger's former coach at TN) is the WR coach now. Could be a reunion!

You mean he hasn't been picked up?

Does the NFL not realize that this gem is out there? Do they not get Rotoworld??

I remember reading that Da'rick doesn't have a car because he likes to sit in the passenger seat and text. He said he was relying on Woods and Goodwin for rides to practice. Now he's going to be riding around in his mom's minivan.

they probably cut him because the team thought he was stealing their wallets when they were practicing... Druggy... haha

Getting cut this early in the process is a horrible omen. At this point he's worth maybe a 4th round rookie pick in a typical 12 team dynasty league. When you can't even survive the cut down to 75, something is wrong. Could be that Buffalo wants to send off bad vibes so they can add him to their practice squad without competition, but that's a very favorable reading of the situation. If they really though he had a bright future, they would've found room for him on the 53. When you add the UDFA factor with the "cut in training camp" factor, you start to get a feeling that this is a player you can safely ignore in your dynasty leagues.
Or the Bills are trying to sneak him onto their practice squad. Didn't play him in the last pre-season game, and cut him in the first cuts, hoping that other teams will not consider picking him up on waivers. Don't know if this is the case, but it has certainly happened before.

Released this morning. I'm guessing he gets picked up quickly and will go on to be yet another player the Bills bumbled their way through.
Got picked up real quickly didn't he man. Fail.
Your clock ticks quicker than mine I guess. Teams haven't even cut down to 53 until the weekend.

I understand that a team is probably looking internally at their own players before they begin to look at other teams' cuts.

To me, quickly means he will be on a team after week1 of the regular season. At that point, he is absolutely no risk, etc.

I know, as a Bills fan, you want to defend your team and justify the cut but give it some time and I understand the angst you probably feel while he is out there because, let's face it, its' going to look pretty bad IF he emerges with another team and it becomes obvious that he is a player that the Bills should have kept. But even if that happens, all teams do it at some point. We do it on our fantasy teams. Don't sweat it.

You already said he wasn't going to clear waivers, stop with the condescending head-patting.

The Patriots just picked up some scrub DT we haven't ever heard of off waivers. The notion that teams aren't paying attention to their waiver wire because they have their own guys to worry about is comical.

Bills practice squad is the goal here. Unless you are sure he's going to be on someone's 53 man roster?

Honestly, I'd be pretty surprised if he ended up on the Bills practice squad. The only way I'd see it happening before the season is if the Bills try to sneak a few other players through (namely Brandon Kaufman or Chris Hogan, though I'm not sure Hogan is eligible for practice squad) and another team nabs them, giving the Bills an opening.

As unproven as the Bills are at WR, they really do have a lot of young high-upside depth at the position. I find it to be very telling that Rogers couldn't outperform apparently any of: 3 other rookies, TJ Graham, a total unknown in Hogan, a player with no career catches and a serious injury history in Easley, and the elder statesman Brad Smith. He didn't need to beat all of them for a job, he just had to outperform a few of them, and he couldn't even get on the field.

That's not to say he won't blow up somewhere else and become a star. Late round and undrafted players show up seemingly every year to make a big impact. Maybe Rogers will mature and become an NFL star. But apparently the Bills front office, after having been around him for several months and a training camp, felt that the other options mentioned above have more upside. I'm not going to fault them for that.

I really thought the whole undrafted thing may light a fire under him but it clearly didn't... I'm about ready to jump ship. Talent is there but there's clearly a lot still missing with this kid.

I picked him up late in couple of startups, I'm glad I didn't burn any early rookie picks on him. I still whiffed though.

If he is cut, and doesn't clear waivers, that means another team is picking him up, will make him part of their final 53, and guarantee his 2013 salary (because he was on week 1 roster). All this without ever having a chance to see him practice, or play in a game.

I'll make this wager: If he's not on the Bills 53, he won't be on anyone's 53. He'll be on someone's practice squad.
isn't it only vets that get guaranteed contract if on roster day 1

If he is cut, and doesn't clear waivers, that means another team is picking him up, will make him part of their final 53, and guarantee his 2013 salary (because he was on week 1 roster). All this without ever having a chance to see him practice, or play in a game.

I'll make this wager: If he's not on the Bills 53, he won't be on anyone's 53. He'll be on someone's practice squad.
I had never heard that, but that doesn't mean it's not true. I always heard about the guys that were picked up after week 1, if teams were thinking they only would use him for part of the year.

Don't think it matters here, I think if a team was thinking about him as a part of their 53 man roster, he wouldn't have cleared waivers.

Most likely scenario now, I think, is after final cuts, he signs to someone's practice squad. Even with me making fun of the hype, I cannot imagine him not making someone's practice squad.

I really thought the whole undrafted thing may light a fire under him but it clearly didn't... I'm about ready to jump ship. Talent is there but there's clearly a lot still missing with this kid.

I picked him up late in couple of startups, I'm glad I didn't burn any early rookie picks on him. I still whiffed though.
Yea, it's a whiff, but I looked back at the 2nd round of our rookie draft where I got him and I'm not really kicking myself. Only guys I wish I had taken instead are like a Stills or Goodwin and they went way later and weren't really on my radar at the time at all.

I had never heard that, but that doesn't mean it's not true. I always heard about the guys that were picked up after week 1, if teams were thinking they only would use him for part of the year.

Don't think it matters here, I think if a team was thinking about him as a part of their 53 man roster, he wouldn't have cleared waivers.

Most likely scenario now, I think, is after final cuts, he signs to someone's practice squad. Even with me making fun of the hype, I cannot imagine him not making someone's practice squad.
Vested veterans (and I think that is three or four years of accrued service) only. And if I am not mistaken it resets after week 1 games - ie. you get cut at the roster deadline, sit out week one, they call you and offer you a contract which then essentially is 15 game checks, non guaranteed

Vested veterans (and I think that is three or four years of accrued service) only. And if I am not mistaken it resets after week 1 games - ie. you get cut at the roster deadline, sit out week one, they call you and offer you a contract which then essentially is 15 game checks, non guaranteed
Which leads me to believe there's no reason to wait on Rogers then. If a team wanted him, they'd have claimed him. I think a lot of teams will be interested in adding him to the PS.

Users who are viewing this thread