What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's up with Da'rick Rogers (2 Viewers)

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/OTA-Practice-Notes---Day-1/da40c8fa-7e2e-4dc4-9bf0-a9e38c4051fe

Kolb had a pair of deep touchdown passes covering 70 and 65 yards on bombs to Marcus Easley and the rookie Rogers. Rogers, who also had an 80-yard touchdown play on a throw from Manuel simply beat his coverage on both occasions.
Barring any non-football related issues it's hard to imagine Rogers not making the team. I'm doubtful that the team will trust him enough to start him over Woods, but he's worth keeping. Graham looked better in those clips than I ever saw him last year so he's an interesting guy to keep an eye on.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/audio/DaRick-Rogers-Has-a-Chip-On-His-Shoulder/82f37d8c-6384-4a6d-a6c6-f135527ded8f

pretty good interview w/ Da'Rick.

There was also news today that he's got 1 strike and that's it.
I often wondered how the Bills managed to land such a high profile UDFA. I figured maybe he was intrigued by the new coaches, and young offense/QB. I'm pretty amazed that he said no other teams even brought him in for a visit. That amazes me.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/audio/DaRick-Rogers-Has-a-Chip-On-His-Shoulder/82f37d8c-6384-4a6d-a6c6-f135527ded8f

I often wondered how the Bills managed to land such a high profile UDFA. I figured maybe he was intrigued by the new coaches, and young offense/QB. I'm pretty amazed that he said no other teams even brought him in for a visit. That amazes me.
With all the stuff Titus Young is going through I'm not that amazed, though I do agree as a UDA there's very little risk.

I often wondered how the Bills managed to land such a high profile UDFA. I figured maybe he was intrigued by the new coaches, and young offense/QB.
I guess I should have finished listening to the interview, as he basically said this was exactly why he liked the idea of coming to Buffalo.

If Rogers "gets it" the Bills have acquired one of the best offensive players from the draft and they did not even have to waste a pick on him.

Being released from his college team was an eye opener for Rogers I'm assuming, but I think being undrafted probably scared him into realization that this is it. Judging from the interviews and what he is saying it appears he has been humbled. Going undrafted really may have salvaged his career. Landing in Buffalo will give him plenty of opportunity to crack the squad and actually contribute as a rookie.

If Rogers "gets it" the Bills have acquired one of the best offensive players from the draft and they did not even have to waste a pick on him.

Being released from his college team was an eye opener for Rogers I'm assuming, but I think being undrafted probably scared him into realization that this is it. Judging from the interviews and what he is saying it appears he has been humbled. Going undrafted really may have salvaged his career. Landing in Buffalo will give him plenty of opportunity to crack the squad and actually contribute as a rookie.
He also said that about getting kicked off Tennessee. Even after him supposedly being humbled from that teams still didn't like him. Maybe this is the real humbling experience though...

Kicked off his team at UT despite being a fantastic WR +

Goes undrafted despite being a fantastic receiver +

Only one team has him work out despite being a fantastic receiver =

There is something seriously wrong with the guy

NFL teams would take an axe murderer #1 if they thought he could play and wouldn't kill again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goes undrafted in the NFL draft despite being a fantastic receiver +

Only one of 32 teams even has him work out despite being a fantastic receiver =

NFL teams would take an axe murderer #1 if they thought he could play and wouldn't kill again.
I hadn't heard that only one team worked him out before. Do you have a source for that?

I hadn't heard that only one team worked him out before. Do you have a source for that?
I haven't seen that either... I know there were 13 teams that had contacted him post draft to bring him in as a UDFA.

It was something he said in that radio interview linked earlier, but he was kind of stumbling over the question as if he misheard it and didn't answer it accurately. Just my take on it though.

Kicked off his team at UT despite being a fantastic WR +Goes undrafted in the NFL draft despite being a fantastic receiver +Only one of 32 teams even has him work out despite being a fantastic receiver =There is something seriously wrong with the guy NFL teams would take an axe murderer #1 if they thought he could play and wouldn't kill again.
It was something he said in that radio interview linked earlier, but he was kind of stumbling over the question as if he misheard it and didn't answer it accurately. Just my take on it though.
After some Googling, it seems like this may have actually been the case. I can't find any confirmations for other visits.If that's the case, I actually respect the Bills more. They actually took the time to do the research and talk to the guy in person in more depth. They also were able to indicate their interest to him and communicate their offensive plans. The guy is a risk, but it seems like such a small risk as an UDFA compared to the reward of a guy with first or second round talent. And the Bills were the one team that knew more what they were getting into as well as gave themselves the best chance to sign him versus the other 13 teams that tried to sign him.

Kicked off his team at UT despite being a fantastic WR +Goes undrafted in the NFL draft despite being a fantastic receiver +Only one of 32 teams even has him work out despite being a fantastic receiver =There is something seriously wrong with the guy NFL teams would take an axe murderer #1 if they thought he could play and wouldn't kill again.
After some Googling, it seems like this may have actually been the case. I can't find any confirmations for other visits.If that's the case, I actually respect the Bills more. They actually took the time to do the research and talk to the guy in person in more depth. They also were able to indicate their interest to him and communicate their offensive plans. The guy is a risk, but it seems like such a small risk as an UDFA compared to the reward of a guy with first or second round talent. And the Bills were the one team that knew more what they were getting into as well as gave themselves the best chance to sign him versus the other 13 teams that tried to sign him.
Hard for me to believe but I'd give the Bills an A for what they've done this offseason. It's almost like they're actually trying to win.

Even though I think he's likely to flame out relatively soon it's still a great play by the Bills IMO. You lose nothing and if the guy's got even a 1% chance of turning it around it's worthwhile. I was just suggesting he's probably got Titus Young level problems of one sort or another.

Rogers and Robert Woods share the same agent, which according to Buddy Nix, helped in allowing Buffalo to snag him..... Supposedly he and Woods were tight on the combine, and training circuit.

Rogers and Robert Woods share the same agent, which according to Buddy Nix, helped in allowing Buffalo to snag him..... Supposedly he and Woods were tight on the combine, and training circuit.
Downgrade Woods.

cstu said:

He also said that about getting kicked off Tennessee. Even after him supposedly being humbled from that teams still didn't like him. Maybe this is the real humbling experience though...
Had he been in trouble after getting booted from Tennessee?

cstu said:

Had he been in trouble after getting booted from Tennessee?
Nothing specific, but there were supposedly "attitude" problems reported:

Tennessee Tech coaches were bothered by WR Da'Rick Rogers' attitude during his one year with the program, according to CBS Sports' Bruce Feldman.
Apparently "they were skeptical about just how much (Rogers) really had matured," after transferring from Tennessee, per Feldman. "I play with an edge, and I had to learn to control that edge off the field also," Rogers said. "I had to learn how to fix my flaws, and life got easier." The receiver was reportedly drug tested 10 times at Tennessee Tech. Feb 27 - 12:53 PM
Source: CBS Sports

cstu said:

I think the difference in this case (the REAL humbling experience) is something he touched on in the interview and something I have heard him say several times in various interviews: He says that when he went to Tenn. Tech he saw how the players there reminded him everyday of how they would have KILLED to play at UT. So here he is, so close to THE tennessee university, squandered his golden opportunity, and gets reminded of it every day in his life by seemingly everyone he has contact with while the shadow of the holy grail is casting a shadow in his back yard. I think that is what really said "See what you missed?" It would be like wrecking your sports car, having to drive a smart car and every driveway in your neighborhood is lined with cars just like what you had. I think it would be a strong reminder.

Maybe Titus Young gets it now too.
You can't ever compare two different people's mental makeup. A lot different than comparing two people's 40 times. Young is on a different planet in terms of where his head is at. I wouldn't compare him to any other player right now.

Rotoworld:

WGR 550 Buffalo considers Bills undrafted WR Da'Rick Rogers a "clear cut favorite" for a 53-man roster spot.
It all hinges on Rogers -- who fell out of the draft due to sever character concerns -- keeping his nose clean. The 22-year-old made plays throughout the spring, but coach Doug Marrone also chewed him out on one occasion. Marrone called Rogers' signing a "one-shot" deal; he's on a zero-tolerance policy.

Source: WGR 550 Buffalo

Rotoworld:

Speaking Wednesday, Bills coach Doug Marrone said UDFA WR Da'Rick Rogers has "really stepped it up" from where he was in spring workouts.
Marrone stopped well short of guaranteeing Rogers a roster spot, but we wouldn't read too much into it. Undrafted because of serious character concerns — and not his measurables or college production — Marrone is likely just doing his best to keep Rogers motivated. Rogers might not come into any redraft value this season, but remains a high-upside flier in Dynasty leagues.

He he doesn't screw up off the field, he makes the team. He'll never make to the practice squad. Someone else will take him.

He was listed as 5th on the depth chart behind Stevie, Woods, Brad Smith and Easley.

Goodwin and Woods seem to be outplaying him for now, but it sounds like he'll make the squad.

Curious dynasty owner. Any homers have any more inside scoop on how Rogers has been doing at camp?
He's been ok for the most part. A couple of great catches and a couple of bad drops. He most likely makes the team, but Goodwin and Woods have outshined him by a ton so far.

I was disappointed with the amount of playing time he got. but he did hit paydirt on a perfect play.

Da'Rick in Dog House?
- Many things have been written about wide receiver Da'Rick Rogers since the Bills signed him as an undrafted free agent after the 2013 NFL Draft. Fans were fascinated by his abilities and potential, but teams were scared to draft him for some reason. If Friday was any indication, it seems where Rogers stands with the coaching staff is fairly obvious. Even with both Stevie Johnson and T.J. Graham sidelined for the contest, Rogers was the second-to-last wideout to get an offensive rep on the roster. His first play came with 9:18 to play in the fourth quarter, after Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, Chris Hogan, Brad Smith, Marcus Easley, Brandon Kaufman and DeMarco Sampson all got ample time on the field. Rogers is a potential guy all the way with a skill-set many will drool over, but his playing time shows that he's in the dog house with the coaching staff right now. To his credit, he made a very nice catch on one of his two targets were he had to extend his body and make the catch while falling to the turf. However, it seems he's been passed by by both Kaufman and Sampson, not just Hogan and Easley. If he doesn't turn it around quickly, there could be a very real possibility Rogers gets cut.

what a disappointment. Buffalo is stacked at WR, so maybe he catch on with someone else like Carolina where he would have a legit shot at playing time. Wouldn't be the 1st time a troubled kid needed a 2nd chance with another team, but it doesn't look likely since so many teams passed during the draft

Rotoworld:

UDFA WR Da'Rick Rogers played the fewest snaps (10) among all active Bills wideouts in the second preseason game.
It's a sign Rogers is on the outside of the roster bubble right now. Per the Buffalo News, he's sulked when things haven't gone his way and coaches have yelled at him in frustration for lining up wrong. We know Rogers has starting-caliber talent, but he has never had his head on straight. He apparently still has a ways to go in that department. Rogers is behind the likes of Brad Smith, DeMarco Sampson and Brandon Kaufman.

Source: Buffalo News
WGR 550 Buffalo doesn't project undrafted WR Da'Rick Rogers to make the Bills' final roster.

Beat writer Joe Buscaglia gives Chris Hogan and Brad Smith the final two receiver spots behind Stevie Johnson, T.J. Graham, Robert Woods, and Marquise Goodwin. Hogan has reportedly been far more consistent, and Smith has special teams value to go along with his veteran presence. Rogers hasn't stood out much this summer after shining in the spring, but he'll be claimed off waivers if the Bills end up cutting him. He has too much natural talent.

Aug 19 - 8:14 PM

Drafted in the 2nd round of a million rookie drafts. Ha.
Laugh now but being cut might be the best thing for his fantasy value. There is no way he clears waivers to make a practice squad so when a needy team like the Chargers or a savvy team like the Packers claims him, his value is better there than with the Bills. I'm not saying either of those two teams would be the ones that pick him up but someone will. As long as its not the Jets or Raiders, his outlook improves.

Laugh now but being cut might be the best thing for his fantasy value. There is no way he clears waivers to make a practice squad so when a needy team like the Chargers or a savvy team like the Packers claims him, his value is better there than with the Bills. I'm not saying either of those two teams would be the ones that pick him up but someone will. As long as its not the Jets or Raiders, his outlook improves.
I am sure after the 4th round, people thought, gee, I hope he doesn't get drafted now, so he can pick the best situation for himself.

Bills have been so impressed, he has been getting into games well after guys I have never heard of, and the practice reports are hilarious: Sulking, getting yelled at regularly by coaches, not knowing where to line up.

Now, he's not even making final cuts, and some team is gonna pick him up, and he's gonna make their final 53?

Nah, I'll just laugh.

I am sure after the 4th round, people thought, gee, I hope he doesn't get drafted now, so he can pick the best situation for himself.

Bills have been so impressed, he has been getting into games well after guys I have never heard of, and the practice reports are hilarious: Sulking, getting yelled at regularly by coaches, not knowing where to line up.

Now, he's not even making final cuts, and some team is gonna pick him up, and he's gonna make their final 53?

Nah, I'll just laugh.
You put a lot of faith in the Bills making great decisions and other teams around the league not being willing to check their ego and think they can "fix" a player.

Aren't the Bills the same team that got rid of Lynch and thought Ryan Fitzpatrick was good enough to give a payday to? Hasn't every team in the league, at one time or another, kicked the tires on a wayward young player with obvious talent? Even Titus Young got a look-see from a pretty respected HC recently.

Talent gives lots of passes. Laugh some more but someone will show interest in him if he gets cut.

If he is cut, and doesn't clear waivers, that means another team is picking him up, will make him part of their final 53, and guarantee his 2013 salary (because he was on week 1 roster). All this without ever having a chance to see him practice, or play in a game.

I'll make this wager: If he's not on the Bills 53, he won't be on anyone's 53. He'll be on someone's practice squad.

In our 2QB league my little :fishy: brother took Rogers at the 3.02 spot. His killer draft consisted of Tyler Wilson, Robert Woods, and Da'rick Rogers. He then proudly proclaimed that he was done as there "is nobody of value left."

I then proceeded to select Keenan Allen at 3.05, Tyler Eifert at 3.06, and Christine Michael at 3.10 :clyde:

Last edited by a moderator:
If he is cut, and doesn't clear waivers, that means another team is picking him up, will make him part of their final 53, and guarantee his 2013 salary (because he was on week 1 roster). All this without ever having a chance to see him practice, or play in a game.

I'll make this wager: If he's not on the Bills 53, he won't be on anyone's 53. He'll be on someone's practice squad.
I'm not sure about that. Buffalo would almost certainly put him on the practice squad but I would bet he'd get interest from WR needy teams.

But I can say with 100% certainty that he has a LONG way to go to provide any value to an NFL team. Woods and Goodwin are light years ahead of Rogers and Hogan has looked much better too.

I was able to scoop Goodwin up in a very competitive league he went undrafted in. I just have great feeling about him for some reason. Obviously he's super fast but my guy tells me he's more Desean Jackson than DHB in terms of skill.

I am sure after the 4th round, people thought, gee, I hope he doesn't get drafted now, so he can pick the best situation for himself. Bills have been so impressed, he has been getting into games well after guys I have never heard of, and the practice reports are hilarious: Sulking, getting yelled at regularly by coaches, not knowing where to line up.

Nah, I'll just laugh.
You put a lot of faith in the Bills making great decisions and other teams around the league not being willing to check their ego and think they can "fix" a player.Aren't the Bills the same team that got rid of Lynch and thought Ryan Fitzpatrick was good enough to give a payday to? Hasn't every team in the league, at one time or another, kicked the tires on a wayward young player with obvious talent? Even Titus Young got a look-see from a pretty respected HC recently.

Talent gives lots of passes. Laugh some more but someone will show interest in him if he gets cut.
How can anyone say that getting rid of Lynch was the wrong move? Sure the guy has been great for Seattle, but Jackson and Spiller have combined to be just as good, or better, and at lower costs.

And while Fitzpatrick didn't work out, his production was pretty much middle of the road as was his pay.

But you don't give them credit for being right on guys like Kyle Williams, Stevie Johnson, Jason Peters, Cordy Glenn, Jairus Byrd, and Fred Jackson? Seems like they judged those talents pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread