What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 1.01: Cook or Fournette (1 Viewer)

Look at Alstotts best seasons. He was a platoon RB with Warrick Dunn.

Woodhead is what I picture McCaffrey might be, a pass catching half of a platoon, but certainly not a bell cow  RB.
He's bigger than Cook so what's that make him?

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes Cook possibly the next J. Charles or possibly the next Reggie Bush. His size is the one worry I have about him, and why I would lean Fournette over him.
He's not that slight. Isn't he around 215?  I like his size. 

I'm one of the people who prefer McCaffrey to Cook at this point too.  Everytime I watch McCaffrey, he falls forward and gets an extra 2 yards or at least an extra little bit, Cook gets stonewalled a lot it seems.  It's a little thing but it shows a hell of a lot more than numbers IMO.  

Another thing is I feel McCaffrey has some quickness to sacrifice to get a little stronger too, while Cook doesn't have that.  If they both get bigger, McCaffrey is still quick with fast feet, Cook on the other hand won't have that luxury.  That is assuming these listed weights I have are correct.  McCaffrey at 6'0" 202 and Cook at 5'11" 202.  Combine weights will likely make a big difference for how I compare the 2 to each other.  

But this is Fournette vs Cook and I think the question should be Fournette or McCaffrey at this moment.  

I'm one of the people who prefer McCaffrey to Cook at this point too.  Everytime I watch McCaffrey, he falls forward and gets an extra 2 yards or at least an extra little bit, Cook gets stonewalled a lot it seems.  It's a little thing but it shows a hell of a lot more than numbers IMO.  

Another thing is I feel McCaffrey has some quickness to sacrifice to get a little stronger too, while Cook doesn't have that.  If they both get bigger, McCaffrey is still quick with fast feet, Cook on the other hand won't have that luxury.  That is assuming these listed weights I have are correct.  McCaffrey at 6'0" 202 and Cook at 5'11" 202.  Combine weights will likely make a big difference for how I compare the 2 to each other.  

But this is Fournette vs Cook and I think the question should be Fournette or McCaffrey at this moment.  
Lol, you're the only person who thinks this way. Good luck!

Tex

It's all Dependant on situation, if your rookie draft occurs before the nfl draft, good luck. Fornette is my choice in that situation, but cook or McCaffrey could jump ahead of him if either one happens to fall into an ideal situation. If Carolina snags one of the 3, or the Packers, etc, as RBs tend to fall nowadays, I'll grab that guy. Pretty cut and dry, and while pure talent comes into play, the situation is more important in my fantasy universe. 

Edit: I'm expecting the Steelers to let Bell walk, as I don't see them giving him the massive contract he wants/deserves. That's the situation I'm watching, and the potential stud fantasy RB that it will produce. 

He's not that slight. Isn't he around 215?  I like his size. 
Cook is tiny. I'm sure he'll spend every second bulking up before the combine but he was lucky to be 200 pounds last year and I don't think his frame will let him gain much without losing his speed. McCaffery is 6 feet and I could see him gaining a few pounds and be close to 215. 

Dont get me wrong his explosiveness is special but we'll see if he holds up to NFL beatings.

Portis is a nice comp...going back further he reminds me of Thurman Thomas...explosive in the both the running and passing game...I've seen him play a decent amount the past few years and I'm a big fan of this kid's game...

Cook is tiny. I'm sure he'll spend every second bulking up before the combine but he was lucky to be 200 pounds last year and I don't think his frame will let him gain much without losing his speed. McCaffery is 6 feet and I could see him gaining a few pounds and be close to 215. 

Dont get me wrong his explosiveness is special but we'll see if he holds up to NFL beatings.
Tiny?  No

Portis seems a good comp but really I'd be fairly happy if he were another Darren Sproles.  

It's all Dependant on situation, if your rookie draft occurs before the nfl draft, good luck. Fornette is my choice in that situation, but cook or McCaffrey could jump ahead of him if either one happens to fall into an ideal situation. If Carolina snags one of the 3, or the Packers, etc, as RBs tend to fall nowadays, I'll grab that guy. Pretty cut and dry, and while pure talent comes into play, the situation is more important in my fantasy universe. 

Edit: I'm expecting the Steelers to let Bell walk, as I don't see them giving him the massive contract he wants/deserves. That's the situation I'm watching, and the potential stud fantasy RB that it will produce. 
It looks like Pittsburgh will use franchise tag on Bell for 2017. I suspect that they will try to work a contract with him.

It looks like Pittsburgh will use franchise tag on Bell for 2017. I suspect that they will try to work a contract with him.
They will definitely do that. With Bryant coming back, their offense will be virtually unstoppable They will be making a SB run in 2018 after they and more D in the draft.

Lol, you're the only person who thinks this way. Good luck!

Tex

That doesn't make him wrong. 

I think situation is going to be huge this draft, and I also believe that a couple of the top guys are going to be mediocre at best as their game fails to translate to the next level. Who those guys are right now I have no idea. 

0% chance the Steelers let Bell walk this off-season.

In terms of comp for Cook, and this is not some same school lazy analysis, to me he is Devonta Freeman with speed.

I've had Cook in a dead heat with Fournette for weeks now and not sure which one I'd prefer at 1.1. Combine and landing spot matters but what I know so far is probably similar to most. I like Fournette considerably more as a pure every down runner put him in the Herschel, Bo, Peterson class as a runner  but Cook wins easily in terms of passing game and durability.

Not that anyone cares but I got picks 1-6 in one leagues, 1 and 3 in one and 1.2 in another league so unless I get blown away on some offers I'm going to be owning both of these two in possibly a few leagues but only one league do I have to actually make the decision. Off-season is sad times for me,  that decision will happily occupy hours of thoughts over the next few months.

Cook is really impressive.  He reminds me of Marshall Faulk while st SDSU less Faulks exceptional receiving ability. Lofty praise but I think Cook will be a stud at the next !evel.  I also like the Thurman  Thomas comp tossed out earlier.

I've said all along that Fournette reminds me of a slightly bigger and faster Corey Dillon.  He's a man child with an off the charts blend of size, strength and speed.

I see McCaffrey along the lines of Tiki Barber.  I think he'll be an all purpose stud but I question how much of a bellcow he can be.

I don't really see the point. It simply means that top level talent white RB prospects are extremely rare, for whatever reason, but I don't see why you'd have to treat them differently in the event one does come around. Generally speaking, it's a good idea to let yourself guide by hard data. But you're applying the wrong data - you should look at bust rate, not general occurrence. If a lot of them were to bust because they're white (well, because of other reasons that somehow correlate with them being white) and they were just as talented as their non-white counterparts, you'd be right to discard them. But so it just means that if you were to draw randomly from a generic elite RB prospect pool, the chance of getting a white one would be very, very low.  
In a bad draft I might be more inclined to take chances, but having a draft such as this, with Cook, Fournette, Williams, and Davis,  I"ll pass on McCaffrey if I can get one of these players.

Like I said, it irks me to bring race into it, but that doesn't change the fact that no white non-fullback has been a stud RB in any recent era.  Yes, there was Larry Csconka, Jim Taylor, Mike Alstott, Rocky Bleier, and John Riggins but they were all fullbacks and most (except Alstott) played over 30 years ago or longer.  The only non-white stud running backs that I can think of were Red Grange, Frank Gifford, and Paul Hornung.  In the 70s there was Ed Podolak, who was very good, but not great. I wouldn't feel comfortable spending a 1.01 on someone that hasn't broken the mold in 40 or 50 years, especially when there are two very good RBs in the draft in Fournette and Cook.
I guess if you are blind and can't get anything from watching people play on the field this is valid. However at least it's honest, most people say he's too small but they think he's too white. If people thought Cook was white he'd be too small too.

I'm absolutely loving where I'm at for next year..Through some smart trading(trade Lat Murray to the guy who I thought would be second worst team), I was able to secure the #2 overall pick in my 16 team dynasty league. So you are probably wondering who i'm taking?? I'm not sweating it because i had the worst team in the league(after gutting my team) so i have the #1 overall as well. #1 and #2...I get them both. :) For good measure, I also have #11 and #16...4 #1's this year.

I guess if you are blind and can't get anything from watching people play on the field this is valid. However at least it's honest, most people say he's too small but they think he's too white. If people thought Cook was white he'd be too small too.
Then by all means take McCaffrey at the top of the draft and leave Cook, Fournette, or Mike Williams for me :)

I'm absolutely loving where I'm at for next year..Through some smart trading(trade Lat Murray to the guy who I thought would be second worst team), I was able to secure the #2 overall pick in my 16 team dynasty league. So you are probably wondering who i'm taking?? I'm not sweating it because i had the worst team in the league(after gutting my team) so i have the #1 overall as well. #1 and #2...I get them both. :) For good measure, I also have #11 and #16...4 #1's this year.

We all agree with your high opinion of yourself. Please give us a weekly if not daily update of your thoughts about your team. We all cannot wait to hear more. 

TIA

He was a pretty good DL for the Vikings but I'd rather we grab Joe Mixon.

After the video being released he'll be lucky to be drafted at all regardless of talent.  1/2 the teams in the league won't touch him under any circumstances.
You're gonna be surprised, sorry. If he was a marginal prospect he might not get drafted, but he's an elite level talent and even if half the teams won't touch him, someone ALWAYS will. Talent always wins out over morals. If Ray Rice had been 25 and coming off a 1500 yard season there would have been 20 teams waiting to sign him. They only care about that off field stuff when you can't play.

You're gonna be surprised, sorry. If he was a marginal prospect he might not get drafted, but he's an elite level talent and even if half the teams won't touch him, someone ALWAYS will. Talent always wins out over morals. If Ray Rice had been 25 and coming off a 1500 yard season there would have been 20 teams waiting to sign him. They only care about that off field stuff when you can't play.
I think you are right. They will do a lot  of digging and he could very well be drafted higher than anyone expects. If he is that good....which it looks like he is.

Hankmoody said:
He was a pretty good DL for the Vikings but I'd rather we grab Joe Mixon.

After the video being released he'll be lucky to be drafted at all regardless of talent.  1/2 the teams in the league won't touch him under any circumstances.
Lol, meant Joe. Was a combo of Kenny Mixon DL, Kenny Dixon RB, Joe Mixon RB and too many Sierra Nevada Torpedos last night.

Didn't know Joe Mixon wasn't going pro. This RB class isn't as strong as I once thought.

georg013 said:
Mixon is returning for another year.
Where did you hear this or is this just what your guessing happens. I haven't seen any official announcement from him and probably won't until after the bowl game. From everything I've seen he's leaning entering the draft

Where did you hear this or is this just what your guessing happens. I haven't seen any official announcement from him and probably won't until after the bowl game. From everything I've seen he's leaning entering the draft
He announced it shortly after releasing the video.

Tex

I bet Mixon will jump. Strikes me as the type. Opportunity should be there. Don't see his stock getting much higher, even with a year as the man.

This draft is strong at the top. Cook and Fournette? I thought Chubb and JuJu were the best prospects coming into the season. Still not convinced they aren't.

Mixon's skill set is great for the NFL. He's big, explosive, and he can catch. I like Perine too.

This is just a great year to own a top 6-8 rookie pick. Looks like there will be some real quality to choose from.

Fournette is a beast.  It's like watching a wrecking ball with a pair of maces attached to it, but his propensity for contact isn't a very good trait for modern day RBs.  My comp is Ronnie Brown.  He's NO Bo!!!  Sub 4.2?  Nah.  Fast as hell for a 235 pounder?  You bet.

Cook looks built to last and if he played at less than 210 this year, I'd be shocked.  Tiny?  ESPN says  5'11" 213.  Wikipedia says 6'0" 214.   I said Portis long before I read it from anybody (not that it wasn't said before, I just don't read most of the "big box" sites very often).  Caddy Williams?

Yes, McCaffrey is slick, but he'd better be as tough (or tougher) than his dad to be a RB at his build - 6'0" 200.  He is good at avoiding the nasty stuff, but he'll need to be VERY good at it in the NFL because tall, slender RBs get shown the door to the trainer's room pretty quickly.  Robert Smith, maybe?  I do see a little [/gasp] Gayle Sayers in those moves though.

I'd go Cook #1.  After that, it'd depend on team makeup and league scoring.  For a 4-5 year run or standard scoring, I go Fournette.  PPR for 7-8 years worth, McCaffrey.

Vontaze Burfict says, "Hello!"  :gang2:

Users who are viewing this thread