What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steve Smith - Retired and still angry (2 Viewers)

The Panthers have to feel like huge idiots at this point while Cam throws to Benjamin, Olsen, and no one else.

All their expensive RB's have gone down.

Smith sure would look nice finishing his career off across from Benjamin.

Rotoworld:

Steve Smith Sr. secured 3-of-5 targets for 67 yards in the Ravens' Week 7 win over the Falcons.

Smith Sr.'s targets over the past three weeks are down -- 7, 6, and 5 -- but game flow has had plenty to do with it. He also had a catch negated Sunday that would've put him over 80 receiving yards against Atlanta. Even if Smith isn't the WR1 he produced as early in the season, at worst he should continue returning WR2/3 production. Keep rolling Smith out there in Week 8 against the Bengals. He torched Cincinnati for 7-118-1 on Opening Day.

Oct 19 - 5:57 PM

I'm thinking with this multi-week slump and bye, Smith Sr. could be a cheap but useful guy for the playoffs. NFC North could be a tight race all the way through week 17. Matchups weeks 15-17 are JAC, @HOU, CLE.

Any reason to think he'll bust out of this current funk?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Steve Smith Sr. is averaging 35.8 yards per game the past five games.

"89" has predictably cooled off after his torrid start to the season when he averaged 91.4 yards and scored four touchdowns the first seven games. Meanwhile, Torrey Smith has turned it on and is seeing box score results after a disappointing, drop-filled start to the year. He has seven touchdowns over his past seven games and is a legit WR2. Steve has settled in as a meager WR3/4.

Related: Torrey Smith

Source: ESPN.com

Dec 3 - 10:25 AM

Cut him todAy for my week 15 defense dynasty. He served me well first half this season but I no longer have any desire to start him. Fare thee well smitty

Rotoworld:

Steve Smith Sr. caught 7-of-11 targets for 70 yards and a touchdown in the Ravens' Week 14 win over the Dolphins.

With Torrey Smith limited to decoy duties, Sr. responded with his best game in two months. Sr. could have had an eighth grab, but committed a drop in the end zone. Sr. is doing his job for the Ravens, but remains a low-ceiling option as a WR3.

Dec 7 - 6:08 PM

Rotoworld:

Steve Smith Sr. - WR - Ravens

Steve Smith Sr. caught 3-of-4 targets for 44 yards and a touchdown in Baltimore's Divisional Round loss to the Patriots.

It was another noisemaking afternoon for Sr., who scorched Darrelle Revis on his nine-yard score in the first quarter. Smith also drew a 20-yard DPI call on Revis. There was a scary moment in the second quarter, where Sr. appeared to wrench his left knee. He eventually ran off the field under his own power, and returned to the game a few minutes later. Going on 36, Sr. predictably faded after his monster start this season, but settled in as a consistent chain mover for Joe Flacco. He cleared 1,000 yards (1,065) while averaging 13.5 yards per grab. Due a bargain $3 million in 2015, he'll be back in Baltimore.

Jan 10 - 8:38 PM

Rotoworld:

Steve Smith Sr. - WR - Ravens

Steve Smith Sr. confirmed after the Ravens' Divisional Round loss to the Patriots that he'll continue his playing career in 2015.

Smith Sr. admittedly considered retirement after the 2013 season, but his release from the Panthers breathed life into him. He'll turn 36 in May but stays in fine shape. Sr. got off to a torrid start in 2014 before falling off. The Ravens need Sr. with Torrey Smith set to enter free agency come March.

Source: Baltimore Sun

Jan 11 - 11:59 AM

Rotoworld:

Although Steve Smith Sr. plans on returning for the 2015 season, Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome has encouraged him to "take three weeks to decide how he feels."

Speaking Tuesday, coach John Harbaugh hinted Sr. could be back in a reduced role. "It doesn't have to be a role where he is playing every snap," Harbaugh said. "(But) he still looks like he has plenty left in the tank to me." Smith's 834 snaps were 35th amongst wideouts in 2014, but his effectiveness waned as the season wore on. He's due a reasonable $3 million in 2015.

Jan 13 - 7:24 PM

Rotoworld:

Coach John Harbaugh said he would like to reduce Steve Smith's snaps to save on his wear and tear.

Smith is entering his age-36 season, obviously an extremely high number for an NFL wideout. We saw him wear down as the season moved along last year, averaging 16.5 YPC with four touchdowns in the first eight games and 10.3 YPC with two scores in the final eight outings. The problem for the Ravens is they have very little talent behind Smith and first-rounder Breshad Perriman. Getting Smitty to take a seat will be easier said than done.

May 19 - 9:26 AM

Rotoworld:

Steve Smith Sr. has announced he will retire at the end of the 2015 season.

Rules and regulations. The No. 74 overall pick of the 2001 draft, Sr. is headed into his 15th campaign. He remains a highly-effective player, but did begin to fade down the stretch last season. Nevertheless, he'll remain a full-timer for 2015, and is coming off his eighth 1,000-yard effort. The diminutive Sr. is a WR3/4 for 2015. The NFL won't be the same without him.

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter
Aug 10 - 1:05 PM

What are your thoughts on Steve Smith? Seems like you can get him as your 4th WR if you target him. I am not sure he is going to outdo guys taken earlier than him like a John Brown or a Charles Johnson. He could have a big year but he is old. There are WRs taken around his ADP and after that can get close to his stats if not better I think.

What are your thoughts on Steve Smith? Seems like you can get him as your 4th WR if you target him. I am not sure he is going to outdo guys taken earlier than him like a John Brown or a Charles Johnson. He could have a big year but he is old. There are WRs taken around his ADP and after that can get close to his stats if not better I think.
As I just said in the Flacco thread, I think around 60-800-5 sounds about right, give or take. He'll have a few big weeks, but a lot of 3-35-type weeks, too. Not someone I'll want as a starter, but should make a good flex.

Trestman is a big proponent of two WR sets and tends to feed his starters a ton. Plus this is Smith's swan song I think he really wants to go out with a bang. I could see a hot start to the season again, not sure if he can sustain it but it will give him some legitimate trade value.

These targets going to keep up? Ok obviously not but I'm thinking 10+ a game with what they have to work with otherwise.

Nice surprise so far anyways....

mozzy84 said:
These targets going to keep up? Ok obviously not but I'm thinking 10+ a game with what they have to work with otherwise.

Nice surprise so far anyways....
One of the hallmarks of a Trestman offense is feeding the top two receivers early and often. Considering they don't have a legit #2 WR, and won't look to for awhile I would think he will be a double digit target for the foreseeable future. He is a legit candidate to lead the league in targets IMO.

This team blows. Not going anywhere this year. A smart GM would trade this guy to a contender like GB or ATL for his final season. Chicago has the right idea as far as rebuilding.

This team blows. Not going anywhere this year. A smart GM would trade this guy to a contender like GB or ATL for his final season. Chicago has the right idea as far as rebuilding.
I would love to see this guy in a Cardinal uniform. I think he and Fitz could bring it home to the Desert.

I would love to see this guy in a Cardinal uniform. I think he and Fitz could bring it home to the Desert.
To me, the most obvious in terms of need would be back to Carolina... Not sure how that would play after they released him. He has a chip on his shoulder about everything, but it sure seemed he was carrying a grudge last year.

Anybody see Mayock's breakdown of the SS Senior's domination at STL? Still a battleship, after all these years.

HOFerIMO.

Steve Smith is -pissed-

"The best thing I could do without threatening him and saying, 'I will assault him when I see him' is I will say, 'I look forward to playing him again, and he's on my lifetime hit list,"

"I got speared in my back by an ex-teammate. I kinda know his character and who he is. After he hit me, he said, 'How do you like that?'"

Users who are viewing this thread