What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Robert Turbin RB (3 Viewers)

It's true that adversity can produce strength and a prime example is Turbin, a 5-foot-10, 222-pound running back with tree-trunk thighs, Popeye biceps and a bowl-you-over running style. His nickname: "Hulk." At the NFL combine last month, he did 28 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press, matching the most of any running back. It was also more than 28 offensive linemen and 22 defensive linemen.

His combine time of 4.50 seconds in the 40-yard dash ranked ninth among 28 running backs, and his blend of strength and speed has him projected to be a mid-round draft pick. He left school after a junior season in which he rushed for 1,517 yards, averaged 6.1 yards a carry and scored 23 total touchdowns.
I could be mistaken, but doesn't Popeye have puny biceps?

If you have Lynch in dynasty it's FF malpractice not to own Turbin. Until the last couple weeks he was cheap enough that you could easily get him if you wanted him. Now it's a bit harder, but still worth it IMO.

He's a dream cuff -- good enough to step in right away and produce if needed, and has value as a prospect even if Lynch is healthy and unincarcerated.

Anyone wondering if the Hawks move on from Lynch in 2013 (don't know his contract situation) after running him into the ground and his potential off-field issues and turn it over to Turbinator next season? Just a thought and probably would save the Seahawks some cap money with young legs at RB for a few years.

Anyone wondering if the Hawks move on from Lynch in 2013 (don't know his contract situation) after running him into the ground and his potential off-field issues and turn it over to Turbinator next season? Just a thought and probably would save the Seahawks some cap money with young legs at RB for a few years.
Lynch seems to be the heart of the team, would seem very odd to remove that catalyst.

From Rotoworld:

3/4/2012: Signed a four-year, $31 million contract. The deal contains $17 million guaranteed, including a $6 milling signing bonus and all of Lynch's first- and second-year base salaries. Another $1 million is available through incentives in the final two years based on 1,500-yard rushing seasons. 2012: $4 million, 2013: $7 million, 2014: $5 million (+ $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses), 2015: $5.5 million (+ $2 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2016: Free Agent
He'll be there at least through 2013. And if he's still producing $5.5m doesn't seem that bad for 2014 -- but if they feel like Turbin or someone else is ready and cheap you never know. $7.5m in 2015 for a 29 year old back seems less likely to me, but who knows.

Turbin trucking Quintin Mikell.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL1N3-GHC24
He slipped through some narrow hole pretty quick and fast. Lynch probably wouldn't have gotten through as clean as Seahulk did, but he would've dragged the pile pretty far. I'm not sure how he's coming along in pass blocking/blitz pickup, but he seems fast and slippery enough to almost be a CoP and 3rd down back. With Lynch pretty damn good at 3rd down as well, these guys could make a very formidable duo for a few years. Like Curt Warner and John L Williams. BeastMode needs lots of carries but being able to get rest with a great backup in there will be a major asset late in a season. Really like this kid, as well as starting MLB Wagner, making Utah State a diamond in the rough.

I view Turbin as I viewed Michael Turner before he got out from underneath LT. It may take an injury or a trade, but eventually I think this kid gets his chance and becomes an immediate star.

I own Lynch, so I have a little added incentive to hang on to him...but I like what I've seen so far. Great handcuff, and a solid contributor if he Lynch were to get hurt.

He should've caught the pass, but Turbin is a very good receiver. He's got feature back written all over him. Great dynasty prospect. Turbinator will get his chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marshawn Lynch is a top5 back in the NFL, just moves piles and makes yards that aren't even there. I agree though with the OP that Turbin has the look of an RB1 in the making. Might take an injury, might take a trade but one of these years he should pile up some points.

'Football Jones said:
He should've caught the pass, but Turbin is a very good receiver. He's got feature back written all over him. Great dynasty prospect. Turbinator will get his chance.
:goodposting:

Rotoworld:

Robert Turbin is expected to be the Seahawks' third-down back this season.

With Leon Washington gone and Marshawn Lynch a two-down back, the job is Turbin's to lose. However, it's not a high-upside gig. Washington managed just 27 touches from scrimmage last year despite playing in all 16 games. Lynch owners looking for insurance would be better off with Christine Michael, a more talented inside runner than Turbin.

Jul 23 - 9:17 AM

Source: Tacoma News Tribune

Interesting player here because if anything happens to Lynch, both Turbin and Michael both figure could make some noise. Relative to the price paid to get either one of those guys, it could be a big payoff.

Rotoworld:

Seahawks placed RB Robert Turbin (foot) on the active/PUP list.
Coach Pete Carroll said the team has been monitoring soreness in Turbin's foot since the offseason program. It doesn't sound like a long-term concern. "He feels fine, doesn’t feel it at all," Carroll assured. "But again we’re just taking every precaution at this early time." Turbin is day to day.

Source: Tacoma News Tribune

2nd-year RBs: Robert Turbin

Evan Silva

This is Part 10 in my 10-Part Second-Year Running Back Series, using NFL Game Rewind to analyze each sophomore back's rookie-season tape. For the Lamar Miller, David Wilson, Bryce Brown, Vick Ballard, Bernard Pierce, Ronnie Hillman, Daryl Richardson, LaMichael James, and Isaiah Pead writeups, click here:

Miller Link.

Wilson Link.

Brown Link.

Ballard Link.

Pierce Link.

Hillman Link.

Richardson Link.

James Link.

Pead Link.

My first exposure to Robert Turbin came during the 2012 Scouting Combine, where he arrived built like a 5-foot-10, 220-pound brick sh*thouse and ran a 4.50 forty time, "unofficially" clocking as fast as 4.44. At rookie camp, teammates dubbed Turbin "SeaHulk" for his sculpted physique. Although their running styles are somewhat similar, Turbin served as Marshawn Lynch's change-of-pace back and mixed in on obvious passing downs as a rookie. Turbin wound up with 92 carries and 22 receptions on the season.

I re-watched and charted all 114 of Turbin's touches over the weekend. These were my takeaways:

For a rookie back who averaged a seemingly impressive 4.4 yards per carry, Turbin's tape wasn't so impressive. Strictly as a ball carrier, he's a gets-what's-blocked runner. With few exceptions, I didn't see Turbin add yardage to runs and pass plays with broken tackles or elusiveness. Although Turbin demonstrated some open-field pop when he lowered his shoulder to take defenders head on, his ability to generate yards after contact was disappointing. Albeit in a small sample size, I noticed Turbin was ineffective in short-yardage situations as a rookie. He carried the football four times on third-and-short plays (two yards or fewer), and executed just once for the first down.

Despite his fast forty time, Turbin lacks ideal initial burst and giddy-up. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call Turbin a "plodder," but there is very little quick-twitch movement to his game. Turbin does have somewhat impressive acceleration and buildup speed when his run blocking springs him onto the second level, but he's certainly not an explosive short-area back, either as a runner or receiver. While Turbin gave the Seahawks better straight-line speed than Lynch when he had a full head of steam, otherwise he was a downgrade in every tangible area from Seattle's starter.

I'd characterize Turbin's change-of-direction skills as inconsistent to poor. At times, it looked almost painful for Turbin to make cuts, and on a couple of occasions I noticed Turbin lose his footing altogether because he simply couldn't execute an attempt at a lateral move in the hole. His cutting ability was methodical and mechanical. This was not a comfortable area of Turbin's game.

Turbin's vision was also shaky. He missed too many big-yardage cutback opportunities, and frequently ran into piles. Turbin consistently fell forward to finish his runs, but left yards on the field.

For a 220-pound power back, I found it rather fascinating that the pass game was Turbin's real bread and butter. The Seahawks were very comfortable aligning Turbin in the shotgun next to Russell Wilson, where he was often asked to pick up blitzers and run pass patterns. Turbin is a plus receiver. He collects passes with his hands rather than letting the football into his body, and showed an ability to secure errant throws.

I also thought Turbin displayed excellent awareness of when to release out of the backfield and into a route. He was an intelligent, reliable checkdown target. Turbin lacks big-play receiving skills, but the Seahawks clearly felt good about his passing-game chops because it showed in the way they utilized him. Turbin ran four pick-wheel routes during his rookie year, and caught two passes after splitting out wide or into the slot. In Week 16 versus San Francisco, Turbin lined up at X receiver and caught a nine-yard pass on an in-breaking route. I charged Turbin with one drop on 25 rookie-year targets. He secured 22, good for a highly efficient "catch rate" of 88 percent.

Turbin is not an explosive runner or receiver, but as a rookie came off as a largely assignment-sound football player with a solid NFL career ahead of him. He reminds me of Giants running back Andre Brown. Turbin can gain blocked yards and function in all phases of the game. I do think Christine Michael is a significantly more gifted running back, and wouldn't be surprised if Michael passed Turbin on the Seahawks' depth chart before the 2013 season is through. Here is a link to my pre-draft evaluation of Michael, whom Seattle selected with the 62nd overall pick.

Rotoworld:

Seahawks activated RB Robert Turbin from the active/PUP list.
He missed just over a week of camp with foot soreness that had plagued Turbin since the offseason program. Meantime, rookie Christine Michael has been putting on a show in Seahawks camp. Pete Carroll subscribes to the best-competitor-will-play approach as much or more than any coach in the league. This is an open camp battle, and Michael has a sizable talent edge on Turbin.

Source: John Boyle on Twitter

RW sayin' Turbin isn't Lynch's handcuff, but that CM is...interested in seeing if anyone else agrees; esp. would like the thoughts of 'hawk fans.

Robert Turbin rushed three times for five yards and didn't catch a pass in Sunday's Week 3 win over the Jaguars.

Turbin was the strict third-down back when Marshawn Lynch was in the game and after Lynch was rested. It's further evidence that if Lynch were to get injured, Turbin would not assume feature back duties. Michael, a more talented natural runner, is Lynch's handcuff.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7423/robert-turbin

Last edited by a moderator:
RW sayin' Turbin isn't Lynch's handcuff, but that CM is...interested in seeing if anyone else agrees; esp. would like the thoughts of 'hawk fans.

Robert Turbin rushed three times for five yards and didn't catch a pass in Sunday's Week 3 win over the Jaguars.

Turbin was the strict third-down back when Marshawn Lynch was in the game and after Lynch was rested. It's further evidence that if Lynch were to get injured, Turbin would not assume feature back duties. Michael, a more talented natural runner, is Lynch's handcuff.
Par for the course with rotoworld. Total and complete speculation. Nobody knows for sure what would happen in the case of a Lynch injury, but as long as Lynch is healthy Turbin is going to play a lot of third downs and spell Lynch when needed.

I can't deny I'm excited by the possibilities for Michael here in Seattle long term. He's shown a great burst and elusiveness. HOwever, Seattle is a power running team and I don't think Michael gets a meaningful carry during the season as long as Lynch and Turbin are good to go.

Lastly, you're going to hear from people that are Michael-crazed. The best way to identify them is they will try to tell you that Turbin is garbage. That's just nonsense.

Rotoworld:

Robert Turbin had 12 carries for 81 yards and a touchdown in Seattle's second preseason game Friday night.

Marshawn Lynch was active, but didn't have any carries. Turbin got the majority of work between the tackles with the first team, while Christine Michael operated in a pace-change role. Turbin's touchdown came on a goal-line carry from one-yard out. Turbin also had an impressive stiff arm on a 47-yard run in the first quarter. He has 96 yards on 16 carries through two exhibition games. A more complete player, Turbin is making a serious run to become Seattle's locked-in No. 2 back over Michael.

Aug 16 - 12:28 AM

Just more spin from the Christine apologists. The answer in Seattle = Robert Turbin

Rotoworld:

Robert Turbin rushed six times for 26 yards and caught a four-yard pass in Seattle's third preseason game Friday night against the Bears.

He has 112 yards on 22 carries in the preseason. Turbin rotated with Christine Michael against Chicago after Marshawn Lynch handled Seattle's first drive. Michael was the primary back in the red zone and showed well in blitz pickup. As C-Mike is Seattle's most talented runner, Turbin should be feeling the heat. We suspect Turbin and Michael would form something of a timeshare in the event of a Lynch injury, making the Seahawks' starter fairly difficult to handcuff. Turbin may be the more complete back, but Michael would be the higher-ceiling option.

Aug 23 - 12:33 AM

Surprised no one is talking about Turbin with Michael acting like a little Christine

Turbin Worth a pickup over say Michael or Benny Cunningham?

Users who are viewing this thread