What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Top 5 WRs in the 2024 class, plus notes on 3 more (2 Viewers)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
I won't go into scouting reports, There are plenty of those already posted. just a few notes. i wanted to step away from the Brian Thomas Jr. thread to do this, as to not hijack it worse than it already has. Who are your top 5?

1) MHjr - Is he landing spot proof? Most will probably say yes. What if he lands in NE?
2) Nabers - To be honest, I think a lot of people may prefer Odunze over Nabers and visa versa, so I'm unsure at this moment. There's plenty to like about both.
3) Odunze - I've seen more of Odunze than Nabers in actual games. I almost drafted him last year in a couple DEVY drafts and wish I had. I suppose I'm buying into the Nabers hype, even if my mind may think otherwise.
4) & 5) - Tie between Brian Thomas Jr and Troy Franklin - I'll do some more research to weed this out.

Notes on a few others - Another WR I'm keeping my eye on is Ladd McConkey. The guy is always open and his YAC looked good to me when I watched him. Also hearing some good buzz about Roman Wilson. Some like Keon Coleman and some do not. I think N'Keal Harry has spooked a lot of fantasy folks regarding Coleman. I personally think he has many warts, but is a great jump ball guy.

I'm sure landing spots will clear this up and change the order of anyone's list most likely.

Edit: I have Worthy in a DEVY league and love some of things about him (speed), but worry about others, like his size and too many drops (it seemed).; But man, if he lands in the perfect spot, look out.

Last edited:
Kevin Coleman

Dude, it's Keon. Aside from hearing about him in the ether, have you seen him play or watched a highlight reel of him at least?

I mean, I have no picks and I'm watching these guys and getting their names right.
I already know this "dude". Obvious mental slip, so please, please forgive me :) I haven't watched an actual game of his, only watching some videos and analysis of others. Lighten up some man.

I won't go into scouting reports, There are plenty of those already posted. just a few notes. i wanted to step away from the Brian Thomas Jr. thread to do this, as to not hijack it worse than it already has. Who are your top 5?

1) MHjr.
2) Nabers - To be honest, I think a lot of people may prefer Odunze over Nabers and visa versa, so I'm unsure at this moment. There's plenty to like about both.
3) Odunze
4) & 5) - Tie between Brian Thomas Jr and Troy Franklin

Notes on a few others -Another WR I'm keeping my eye on is Ladd McConkey. They guy is always open and his YAC looked good to me when I watched him. Also hearing some good buzz about Roman Wilson. Some like Kevin Coleman and some do not. I think N'Keal Harry has spooked a lot of fantasy folks regarding Kevin Coleman. I personally think he has many warts, but is a great jump ball guy.

I'm sure landing spots will clear this up and change the order of anyone's list most likely.
I think Harrison, Jr. has the highest floor of any of these guys and he also has a high ceiling so I would put him at the top of the list. I think Nabers is closer to Harrison than to the rest of the pack though. He might have the highest ceiling of the bunch. Odunze is amazing at contested balls but I worry that there is a reason he is in so many contested situations. I worry that getting separation will be an issue for him in the NFL and while he is big, he is not Mike Evans big, so he better continue to dominate contested balls to fulfill his potential. All that being said, I have the same top 3 as you do. I would put Thomas at 4 based on his size/speed and big play ability. and I would probably go with Franklin at 5 due to his blazing speed at his height. But I think there are a bunch of guys in that tier.

Tier 1
Harrison Jr.
Tier 1A
Nabers
Tier 2
Odunze
Tier 3
Empty
Tier 4
Thomas Jr.
Franklin
Coleman
Mitchell
Worthy

1) MHjr.
2) Nabers
3) Odunze
BREAK
4) Brian Thomas Jr
BREAK
5) Adonai Mitchell

HM (guys I really like for their current value) Roman Wilson, Ricky Pearsall, Luke McCaffery.

This is still early stages and nothing controversial - for what it is worth I see it like this right now for my top 5 for the NFL Draft:

Tier 1

1A) Marvin Harrison Jr.
1B) Malik Nabers
1C) Rome Odunze

Tier 2

2A) Brian Thomas Jr.
2B) Troy Franklin

Ladd McConkey might be included in tier 2 - I need more time to review some additional data points.

It's always an at value debate for me.

Would I rather have Brian Thomas Jnr with a top 4-6 pick or Malachi Corley at 16-20? There is quite obviously a top 3 WR's, everyone else seems to be in an at present undecipherable muddle somewhere between 4 and 10-15.

Landing spot will dictate everything outside the top 3 for me.

Would I rather have Brian Thomas Jnr with a top 4-6 pick or Malachi Corley at 16-20? There is quite obviously a top 3 WR's, everyone else seems to be in an at present undecipherable muddle somewhere between 4 and 10-15.

I know a lot of folks think this way, but I tend to swing in the direction of who I think is better. If I believe in a player enough that I really want him, I'll usually pull the trigger over drafting another position and taking a lesser player later at the same position I passed on. It always boils down to BPA for me and if that is another position, I'll go that way regardless of my roster construction. I never draft for team need. I trade for team need.

Who are your top 5? Also, anyone you're keenly interested in that may not be in your top 5?

I have exactly who you have in the order you have them. I also have indecision at four and five between Thomas and Franklin, and I also have Ladd McConkey figuring in depending on landing spot and combine times. The exact same thing as you, weirdly.

Who are your top 5? Also, anyone you're keenly interested in that may not be in your top 5?

I have exactly who you have in the order you have them. I also have indecision at four and five between Thomas and Franklin, and I also have Ladd McConkey figuring in depending on landing spot and combine times. The exact same thing as you, weirdly.
I'm going for therapy after reading that. Love it!!

I agree with your top 5. Keon Coleman could certainly see his stock rise during the draft process, but with so much WR talent in this class, he will be all over draft boards right now. He is a monster on jump balls, but I don't see the route running and separation skills. That may be a product of the Florida State offense, however.

I think the pair of receivers from Texas will be intriguing (Mitchell and Worthy), and Ladd McConkey is an exciting prospect. He just knows how to get open. The other WR who really intrigues me is Xavier Legette. He measured in a little shorter than expected, however.

But where do you have Kevin Coleman?

I hate getting caught up in the "consensus" rankings and like to do my own work, but I think everyone will agree on the top 3 when it is said and done. I am a "stituations change" guy and we are playing the long game. After Harrison, Odunze (who I prefer a little more at this point), and Nabers, it may get murky.

I am all in on Johnson Jr. and think his ceiling is as high as any of those three. I would have him in a tier below by himself. but I wouldn't mind having many shares. Then I have Worthy (who I like most of these 3), Mitchell and Franklin, but there are some metrics driving that more than my thoughts on the last two.

As @-OZ- mentioned, there are some good value picks this year. I agree on McCaffrey and I may have Brenden Rice higher than others. Not sure if they are underrated or right yet: Corley and Ja'Lynn Polk. PS - my method has Coleman in the top 5/6 group, but I don't know if I will land there by draft time.

Nice to see some others coming around on McConkey. He's my WR4 personally. May prefer him in the mid 20s to Odunze in the top-8 value wise. Brian Thomas makes me a little nervous. I like his size/speed, but I could see him just being a Gabe Davis type.

I'd probably have it:
Harrison/Nabers
Odunze
McConkey/Franklin/Thomas

With Corley as an honorable mention. I'd probably rather take Corley in round 3 than Thomas in round 1. Roman Wilson is another day 2 guy I like.

I am in a similar place as far as my evaluation of these players so far.

I think its good to try to rank and tier them as some have done already for a pre combine just pure talent evaluation of the players.

I think this should be done by anticipating where you expect the player to be drafted in the NFL. Not the specific team, but a proximity of what pick you think the player will be drafted.

Right now there are 3 who might go in the top 10 picks. All 3 likely won't all be top 10, but they could be.

There does seem to be a tier break after these top 3. The focus should be on which WR will still be drafted in the first round?

I think that is the next tier of players. Then 2nd and 3rd rounders.

I can't answer the 2nd part of that right now. I need more information.

If NE or WASH drafts MHjr, does that change your opinion of him with neither of those teams having their QB of the future? Although I still like Howell.

1) MHjr.
2) Nabers
3) Odunze
BREAK
4) Brian Thomas Jr
BREAK
5) Adonai Mitchell
If I'm ranking them today this is exactly how I would have it and with considerable gulfs between each tier.

If I was taking this out to at least WR8 they'd all be in the same tier as Mitchell and several others that I'm not sure I'm comfortable actually putting in a lower tier then Mitchell.

This is the truth even if people are trying to pretend it's not. Whatever any of this think about this muddled up group after the big 3 or top 4 is going to change based on draft capital and landing spot. It's just to close between this group not to have that be a major factor. Most will have a favorite or two, a dislike or two, but I'm going to say no matter what anyone is telling themselves the actual draft will firm up a lot of opinions.

I have him in the tier after Lane McConkey and Tony Franklin.

If NE or WASH drafts MHjr, does that change your opinion of him with neither of those teams having their QB of the future? Although I still like Howell.
Not in relation to the other rookies. Perhaps in relation to someone like Garrett Wilson, Puka Nacua or Nico Collins.
So if that happened and you have the 1.01 in a dynasty, you would draft MHjr and try and trade for one of Wilson, Nacua, or Collins? If yes, what additions one way or the other would you require?

("Kevin" was a joke based on a post that happened a bit earlier in the thread)

Yes, strange how the mind plays tricks on you.

Not in relation to the other rookies. Perhaps in relation to someone like Garrett Wilson, Puka Nacua or Nico Collins.
So if that happened and you have the 1.01 in a dynasty, you would draft MHjr and try and trade for one of Wilson, Nacua, or Collins? If yes, what additions one way or the other would you require?
Interesting, as I still prefer MH to Wilson and Nico. Don’t overlook that Wilson will probably need a QB in a year or two. Nico is set as long as he wants to be.

Interesting, as I still prefer MH to Wilson and Nico. Don’t overlook that Wilson will probably need a QB in a year or two. Nico is set as long as he wants to be.
So do I

I know...

1) MHjr.
3) Odunze

Notes on a few others -Another WR I'm keeping my eye on is Ladd McConkey. They guy is always open and his YAC looked good to me when I watched him. Also hearing some good buzz about Roman Wilson. Some like Kevin Coleman and some do not. I think N'Keal Harry has spooked a lot of fantasy folks regarding Kevin Coleman. I personally think he has many warts, but is a great jump ball guy.

I think Harrison, Jr. has the highest floor of any of these guys and he also has a high ceiling so I would put him at the top of the list. I think Nabers is closer to Harrison than to the rest of the pack though. He might have the highest ceiling of the bunch. Odunze is amazing at contested balls but I worry that there is a reason he is in so many contested situations. I worry that getting separation will be an issue for him in the NFL and while he is big, he is not Mike Evans big, so he better continue to dominate contested balls to fulfill his potential. All that being said, I have the same top 3 as you do. I would put Thomas at 4 based on his size/speed and big play ability. and I would probably go with Franklin at 5 due to his blazing speed at his height. But I think there are a bunch of guys in that tier.

Tier 1
Harrison Jr.
Tier 1A
Nabers
Tier 2
Odunze
Tier 3
Empty
Tier 4
Thomas Jr.
Franklin
Coleman
Mitchell
Worthy
Never seen someone include an empty tier, but it makes complete sense to do so sometimes.

1) MHjr.
3) Odunze

Tier 1
Harrison Jr.
Tier 1A
Nabers
Tier 2
Odunze
Tier 3
Empty
Tier 4
Thomas Jr.
Franklin
Coleman
Mitchell
Worthy
Never seen someone include an empty tier, but it makes complete sense to do so sometimes.
That’s where my wife puts me when comparing the ideal man.

I do think tiers should mean something. Everyone has different definitions.

I used to try to tier players based on FF upside of top 12, then 13-24 and 25-36

Acknowledging that this is their upside, their downside is nothing.

Certainly not a science but some guidelines.

An empty tier would make more sense depending on one's method of tiering.

Right now I would just focus on anticipated NFL draft position for this.

I'd probably still prefer Harrison, but I think the tier is close enough where its a reasonable trade conversation. Like 1.1 for Puka and another young starter would be something I'd very much consider.

I'd probably still prefer Harrison, but I think the tier is close enough where its a reasonable trade conversation. Like 1.1 for Puka and another young starter would be something I'd very much consider.
I put MHjr in the same tier as Jefferson, Chase, and Lamb and have no shot at him in any draft. If NE drafts him I might change my mind.

Not going to lie, this would be a much more interesting thread if it was titled "Other than Harrison, Nabers and Odunze, these are my top five rookie WRs" - the number of people that don't have those three as 1-2-3 in some order (mainly in that order, even if you consider Nabers a 1b or Odunze a 2b etc) is surely minimal and doesn't need extensive, if any, discussion?

Not saying opinions as given aren't useful, only that 60% of them are a tad obvious

Thanks @JohnnyU
One thing I can't stand this time of year is the discomfort of all these writers I greatly respect, collectively claiming like 10 WRs are special future stars.
Idk which is which but, ya watch the NFL long enough and you know there won't be ten great rookie WRs.

Not going to lie, this would be a much more interesting thread if it was titled "Other than Harrison, Nabers and Odunze, these are my top five rookie WRs" - the number of people that don't have those three as 1-2-3 in some order (mainly in that order, even if you consider Nabers a 1b or Odunze a 2b etc) is surely minimal and doesn't need extensive, if any, discussion?

Not saying opinions as given aren't useful, only that 60% of them are a tad obvious
Thus the reason I added notes on 3 others outside my top 5. Changed the title slightly

Last edited:

Was thinking similar, more along the lines of "rank your WR's 4-10".

Also this is all code for "what are you planning to do in your rookie drafts when the Big 4 are gone" or after the QB's and Big 4 are gone in SF leagues. I have been thinking of this for a good 2 months now and struggling to come up with an answer.

I put MHjr in the same tier as Jefferson, Chase, and Lamb and have no shot at him in any draft. If NE drafts him I might change my mind.
As a prospect I would agree, in fact I think he's a better prospect than any of those guys were (I'd argue Nabers is too honestly) but proven NFL production is a big bonus for me, so I think I'd have those guys all ahead of Harrison right now.

I think dynasty wise, assuming an average landing spot, I'd probably have Harrison around WR8 or so.

Slightly unrelated hot take, but I think Chase is a bit overrated. I don't think he's really improved as a player since his rookie season, and I'm not confident he's an elite player or just a very good one who happens to be attached to a top QB. I find myself more impressed by guys like Amon-Ra or AJ Brown than I do with Chase. I might be the high guy on how I view St. Brown, who I have at WR2 in dynasty behind only JJ.

As a prospect I would agree, in fact I think he's a better prospect than any of those guys were (I'd argue Nabers is too honestly) but proven NFL production is a big bonus for me, so I think I'd have those guys all ahead of Harrison right now.

I think dynasty wise, assuming an average landing spot, I'd probably have Harrison around WR8 or so.

Slightly unrelated hot take, but I think Chase is a bit overrated. I don't think he's really improved as a player since his rookie season, and I'm not confident he's an elite player or just a very good one who happens to be attached to a top QB. I find myself more impressed by guys like Amon-Ra or AJ Brown than I do with Chase. I might be the high guy on how I view St. Brown, who I have at WR2 in dynasty behind only JJ.
I personally believe Brown is a sell high. I tried selling him and some other decent players for Chase this morning with no luck. I offered Lawrence, Jaylen Warren, and Brown for Chase and a 2025 2nd round pick in a start 1qb devy league and was shot down.

Thanks @JohnnyU
One thing I can't stand this time of year is the discomfort of all these writers I greatly respect, collectively claiming like 10 WRs are special future stars.
Idk which is which but, ya watch the NFL long enough and you know there won't be ten great rookie WRs.

I'm more fascinated by this pack of receivers than any draft in recent memory. I have this voice telling me the class is overrated. I watched more college ball last season than any in recent memory too. I think it's pretty fair to go with a top 4/5 rather than a top 3. This thinking is including Thomas (4) and Franklin (5). But I like Thomas a lot more than Franklin. I mostly settle in for west coast games and saw a bunch of Franklin. I just... not so sure here. He's good but does it translate? Not sure.

I have to note a note I made watching Texas play. Sheesh those two got open so easily it was impressive. Adonai did it with his feet and precision route running. Then he caught everything thrown his way. I guess he had a drop but I missed it. Worthy did it with speed, lots of speed, but his routes are crisp, his feet are really good, and he's just a problem. He did have some drops, but he also ran deeper routes with lower expectations. I prefer Worthy. That explosive speed matters. It translates. Bigger Tank Dell perhaps.

BUT

After doing this for many years and being so wrong so often, I don't really care about the combine OR THE DRAFT. We're just a bunch of addicts who miss our fix. I care about internal reports from late OTAs to early training camp. What are coaches telling beat writers now that the players are putting in work? Last year they were telling us very early that Puka and Tank were standing out. Fantasy experts and draftniks this time of year? Not too interested. I appreciate the steady flow of opinions, but with the tiniest grain of salt.

Would Nabers and Odunze have ranked higher than last year’s rookie class?
Here's a list of WRs taken in one of my leagues last year. JSN might have ranked higher than Odunze before the 2023 season played out, maybe not.

Would Nabers and Odunze have ranked higher than last year’s rookie class?
For me yes and not remotely close, not saying that out of exaggeration or after the fact. Less sure it would have played out that way, one thing I learned last off-season is the JSN hive is strong.

MHJ vs Bijan would have been one heck of a debate.
I agree with most of them, but JSN prior to the 2023 season would have been in the discussion with Nabers and Odunze and may be long term as well.

I see a top 5 of MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, BTJ, and Franklin, and then it's some combination of Coleman, McConkey, Worthy, Mitchell, and Legette. Combine and landing spots will sort that out a bit I think. I don't know who I'd pick out of that latter group, but I know it'll be the wrong one.

I have the same top 5 guys (Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Thomas, Franklin), though I see Nabers as neck-and-neck with Harrison for 1 vs 2 rather than with Odunze for 2 vs 3.

Tier drop after the top 5, leaning McConkey as my WR6.

Nabers AND Odunze are head and shoulders above JSN for me.

He'd be the #4 in this draft, safely
Easy to say after JSN rookie year. A little harder before if we’re being honest. Not saying you aren't being honest. You may very well have felt that way before the 2023 season.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread