What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reggie Wayne Career Over? (1 Viewer)

I'd say he's played his last game. I know he's played his last game for the Colts. He's due 4 million next year and it isn't guaranteed. I wouldn't be surprised to hear him announce his retirement in the next few days.
Oops
Close enough. Might as well have been retired
Close enough?

I'm referring to the bolded.
He sure looks finished now doesn't he?
What does that have to do with your claim at that time he would never play for the Colts again?

I do agree that Moncrief should be starting.
I was wrong about the timing, but this isn't about me (or it shouldn't be), it's about Reggie Wayne.

I'd say he's played his last game. I know he's played his last game for the Colts. He's due 4 million next year and it isn't guaranteed. I wouldn't be surprised to hear him announce his retirement in the next few days.
Oops
Close enough?

What does that have to do with your claim at that time he would never play for the Colts again?

I was wrong about the timing, but this isn't about me (or it shouldn't be), it's about Reggie Wayne.

Oops
Close enough?

ok :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Reggie Wayne (triceps) participated in Wednesday's practice.

Wayne appears on track to play despite a torn triceps that has rendered him highly ineffective for the past three weeks-plus. Wayne doesn't normally practice on Wednesdays. Coach Chuck Pagano explained the Colts are "trying something a little different" this week. If Wayne plays Sunday against the Texans, he would break Peyton Manning's franchise record for games played (209). He would also throw a dent into Donte Moncrief's fantasy outlook.

Source: Mike Chappell on Twitter
Dec 10 - 3:02 PM

Rotoworld:

Reggie Wayne (triceps) participated in Wednesday's practice.

Wayne appears on track to play despite a torn triceps that has rendered him highly ineffective for the past three weeks-plus. Wayne doesn't normally practice on Wednesdays. Coach Chuck Pagano explained the Colts are "trying something a little different" this week. If Wayne plays Sunday against the Texans, he would break Peyton Manning's franchise record for games played (209). He would also throw a dent into Donte Moncrief's fantasy outlook.

Dec 10 - 3:02 PM
Well crap !!

Rotoworld:

The Indy Star suggests Reggie Wayne (triceps) might have his snap count reduced over the final two weeks of the regular season.

The Colts already backed off Wayne a bit in Weeks 14 and 15, playing him on just 75.6 percent of the snaps. Now they've clinched the AFC South and have almost no shot at a first-round bye. So resting Wayne in order to get him 100 percent for the Wild Card game makes plenty of sense. Donte Moncrief and Hakeem Nicks will have roles against the Cowboys Sunday, with Moncrief ticketed for far more snaps.

Related: Hakeem Nicks, Donte Moncrief

Source: Indianapolis Star
Dec 18 - 9:29 AM

Rotoworld:

Reggie Wayne - WR - Colts

Reggie Wayne left Sunday's Week 17 game at Tennessee in the second quarter with a groin injury.

Wayne made an acrobatic sideline catch and took off toward the end zone. But he blew a tire halfway there, finishing with an 80-yard catch that ended at the 2-yard line. It's a fitting end to the regular season for Wayne, who tried valiantly to help the team one year removed from ACL surgery, but was often a liability. The 36-year-old had 65 catches, 779 yards and two touchdowns in 14 games as a 14-year veteran.

Dec 28 - 3:14 PM

Rotoworld:

Reggie Wayne left Sunday's Week 17 game at Tennessee in the second quarter with a groin injury.

Wayne made an acrobatic sideline catch and took off toward the end zone. But he blew a tire halfway there, finishing with an 80-yard catch that ended at the 2-yard line. It's a fitting end to the regular season for Wayne, who tried valiantly to help the team one year removed from ACL surgery, but was often a liability. The 36-year-old had 65 catches, 779 yards and two touchdowns in 14 games as a 14-year veteran.

Dec 28 - 3:14 PM
I didn't see that as him "blowing a tire"

He's not faster than the D anymore, they wrestled him down

Rotoworld:

Reggie Wayne was held catch-less on one target in the Colts' Divisional Round win over the Broncos.

Wayne had some nice blocks in the running game, but was a non-factor as usual as a receiver. Peyton Manning looked washed up in Sunday's playoff game, and so does his old teammate. Don't expect 36-year-old Wayne to reemerge as a passing-game weapon in the AFC Championship Game against the Patriots.

Jan 11 - 7:59 PM

Not a fan of Patriots, Seahawks, Packers or Colts, but rooting for Reggie Wayne to shine in the Super Bowl is about all that is left for me this season.

Not a fan of Patriots, Seahawks, Packers or Colts, but rooting for Reggie Wayne to shine in the Super Bowl is about all that is left for me this season.
Would be nice to see him get another ring but he has a HOF career regardless.

Most careers don't end the "John Elway" way. It's been a great run and I think as a teammate off the field, Reggie could still offer a lot but I think it's time for him to move on because Luck has reached the point where he doesn't need him as a security blanket as he once did.

I hope and think he will eventually make the Hall of Fame and that's a heck of an accomplishment for a guy that as been very classy.

Superb career (HOF IMO). Another great one that always was classy on and off the field.

It's over though. Tough to come back from an ACL at his age.

It's strange how Reggie hit the wall so hard after the Colts bye. Through the first 8 games, Reggie's numbers were 42-504-2. Hardly vintage Reggie, but not bad.

Once he missed week 8, he had a good week 9 (4-70-1) and a good week 11 after the bye, but that was it (outside of his week 17 long gain where he was dragged out at the one).

Seems like that last injury pre-bye was the proverbial final fork in him.

It's strange how Reggie hit the wall so hard after the Colts bye. Through the first 8 games, Reggie's numbers were 42-504-2. Hardly vintage Reggie, but not bad.

Once he missed week 8, he had a good week 9 (4-70-1) and a good week 11 after the bye, but that was it (outside of his week 17 long gain where he was dragged out at the one).

ya, hard to predict exactly when it will occur but it's inevitable. It also doesn't take that much...losing a step is all it takes and the fact that they had other options just exacerbated the sprial.

On the flip side, the future looks bright for Moncrief and TY. I believe Wayne moves to a WR coaching role here or somewhere very soon. Great guy. Excellent leader. Colts fans are grateful and blessed.

On the flip side, the future looks bright for Moncrief and TY. I believe Wayne moves to a WR coaching role here or somewhere very soon. Great guy. Excellent leader. Colts fans are grateful and blessed.
ya, they have two good ones there.

ya, hard to predict exactly when it will occur but it's inevitable. It also doesn't take that much...losing a step is all it takes and the fact that they had other options just exacerbated the sprial.
Absolutely. One little step is all it takes for any player, especially the skill positions. My point is that you typically see it carry over from one season to the next, not one week to the next like in Reggie's case.

Agree all around and I think Wayne would be a great Coach and WILL be with the colts as he has a great relationship with Coach Pagano.

Rotoworld:

Reggie Wayne was held without a catch in Sunday's AFC Championship Game loss at New England.

If this is the end, it's a sad way for the future Hall of Famer to go out. The Patriots didn't even bother wasting Darrelle Revis on Wayne, who tried and failed to come back from an ACL tear at age 36. He caught just 64 passes for 779 yards with two touchdowns on the year, looking like a wounded deer in the rare instances he got in the open field. On Sunday night, Wayne said he will need elbow surgery and added that he didn't know if he would return for a 15th NFL season. Even if he does and the Colts accept him, he couldn't be anything more than a No. 4 or 5 WR and mentor.

Jan 18 - 11:04 PM

Rotoworld:

Reggie Wayne was held without a catch in Sunday's AFC Championship Game loss at New England.

If this is the end, it's a sad way for the future Hall of Famer to go out. The Patriots didn't even bother wasting Darrelle Revis on Wayne, who tried and failed to come back from an ACL tear at age 36. He caught just 64 passes for 779 yards with two touchdowns on the year, looking like a wounded deer in the rare instances he got in the open field. On Sunday night, Wayne said he will need elbow surgery and added that he didn't know if he would return for a 15th NFL season. Even if he does and the Colts accept him, he couldn't be anything more than a No. 4 or 5 WR and mentor.

Jan 18 - 11:04 PM
He was also held without a catch in the Denver game and had 1 catch for 12 yds in the Tennessee. Last 3 games, 1 catch on 5 targets for 12 yds.

One of the best WRs of his generation but never the best. A career I totally respect, but not a hall of famer.

Not dominant, but highly efficient and effective.

I think in time he'll have played with two of the best QBs.

One of my favorite WRs to play "bigger than he is." I think young WRs could learn a ton by watching his film. There are so few NFL WRs that are definite #1s that are just 6 feet tall. Cobb does, Beckham does...there's some, but it's not many. To make people forget you're 6-0 and not 6-4, you really have to have a specialness to your game.

Thanks for the memories, Reggie! We loved you coming over to "Reggie's" corner of the stadium. Always a class act and I hope you come on board the Colts staff to work with the WRs.

Reggie Wayne is good person, a HOFer, and deserves everything that is good in this world. He will always be one of my favorite Colt players.

Reggie Wayne is good person, a HOFer, and deserves everything that is good in this world. He will always be one of my favorite Colt players.
The HOFer comment should spark a lot of debate. There is a lot of competition at the WR spot to get into Canton.

Just Win Baby said:
The HOFer comment should spark a lot of debate. There is a lot of competition at the WR spot to get into Canton.
I think he is close but will not and should not make it.
I agree there will be a lot of competition. Looking at a list of NFL career leaders in yards/game and Wayne ranks behind 15 active players, 12 of whom are in their 20s. But right now he's top 10 in receptions and yards in NFL history. Class individual. Would be hard not to vote for him.

Awesome player. Assuming this is the end, it's a shame, as the NFL needs more players like him. Hope he goes on to coach WRs or something like that, as he was a masterful technician on the field.

The increase in passing yardage should yield more WRs into the HOF.

Andre Reed (in his prime) didn't play in a league with anywhere near these high octane offenses. His RB buddy was one of the first dual threat RBs to really seem similar to the RBs of today.

Even older, Art Monk and Steve Largent-nothing like today's offenses.

Reggie doesn't get this mulligan or different era stuff. He was part of the Peyton Manning show.

LOVE the player and LOVE his personality and demeanor I've read about, but I wouldn't vote him in (if) sorry but he's not the best of the best.

IF we start talking about Owens and Moss' antics and this grrrr primadonna spoiled brat mindset, oh I'm gonna lean Reggie's way then, but really I think he'll fall short.

Few WRs have ever filled in for a stud as well as he did. Gigantic kudos for replacing Marvin-that's harder to do than people think.

My two most exciting Wayne moments were the bobbled reception against the Patriots in the 2006-2007 AFC Championship game where the ball seem to hang forever and I thought it would be intercepted and the other is the long TD reception in the Super Bowl vs the Bears.

Rotoworld:

Free agent Reggie Wayne wants to play in 2015 if the "situation is right."

Speaking to RTV6's Mike Chappell, Wayne also revealed he's recovering from a knee scope in addition to his previously-disclosed triceps surgery. He expects to be healthy for training camp. Wayne said he told the Colts he wanted to play one more season before they decided to move on. Wayne hasn't generated an iota of interest in free agency, though a market could develop once he's in better health. Wayne was close to out of gas last season, but teams could be interested in his leadership and sure hands on a low-cost deal.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in Seattle, but I don't see Seattle in play here as they have four young receivers that they are trying to develop.

Users who are viewing this thread