What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reggie Wayne Career Over? (1 Viewer)

I want every veteran WR to play with Brady, not sure if it's Ocho or Moss or why exactly but...wanted Andre there, now I want Wayne

T.O., Bruce, Carter, Lofton, Rice, Joiner, and Brown all scored 100+ fantasy points (0 PPR) in their 15th seasons.

Rotoworld:

The Ravens are not expected to pursue free agent WR Reggie Wayne.

A weak "report" came from an Indianapolis television station saying the Ravens were among four teams showing interest in the 36-year-old Wayne. It didn't take long for it to get shot down. Even though the Ravens only have Breshad Perriman and Marlon Brown behind aging Steve Smith, they know Wayne has nothing left.

Related: Ravens

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Jul 20 - 9:43 AM

Rotoworld:

The Texans are not interested in free agent WR Reggie Wayne.

As expected, the "report" from WRTV-6 in Indianapolis has no legs. The Texans, didn't want anything to do with a declining Andre Johnson, surely don't want Wayne. They're going to go to battle with Cecil Shorts and rookie Jaelen Strong opposite rising stud DeAndre Hopkins. Despite his agent's best efforts to drum up interest, Wayne remains a poor bet to play in the NFL again.

Related: Texans

Source: John McClain on Twitter
Jul 20 - 10:45 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Bri said:
Faust said:
Isn't it curious how predictable this was?
Apparently, Green Bay also reaching out to Wayne this AM per First Take (ESPN).

I think in GB he would be a better fantasy commodity, and could see 4-5 per game targets as the WR3. Not much upside, but rosterable IMO.
What a great situation for Wayne to be in. He got to play with Manning, and Luck, and now gets his choice of Brady or Rodgers. Not sure any receiver has ever had this many top QB's throwing him the ball in his career.

Also gets a great shot at another title. I wonder if he hadn't won one, if he'd be picking the Patriots as they have a slightly better chance of winning it all. Interesting to see how this goes, but he's gotta be happy with picking between those two cities.

Bri said:
Faust said:
Isn't it curious how predictable this was?
Apparently, Green Bay also reaching out to Wayne this AM per First Take (ESPN).

I think in GB he would be a better fantasy commodity, and could see 4-5 per game targets as the WR3. Not much upside, but rosterable IMO.
in deep leagues, he might be startable in GB or NE.

JohnnyU said:
Faust said:
Fantasy owners are starting to pick up Wayne again. I think they are better off taking a flyer on someone like Jeff Janis or Chris Johnson if you need a RB. I seriously doubt Wayne makes an impact in fantasy this year or any year going forward.
Agreed. I'd feel differently if he was better last season and the Colts were moving on due to age. But he was disappointing last season in a pass happy offense. I'm not sure going to GB or NE is any better of a situation than he was in last year. Sure, he's another year removed from the ACL injury, but he'll also be 37 in November.

I'd be majorly concerned if I'm a Lafell owner. Probably starts the season on the PUP with his foot issue. No reason to go after Wayne unless you are pretty sure Lafell is in the tank.

After I saw what LaFell did at times last year and how Brady rejuvenated Moss I picked up Wayne in a redraft league. You never know..........

Traitor! Will be interesting to watch his homecoming. I can't imagine the crowd treating him well.
In his defense, it's not like he was a greedy free agent wanting to leave Indy. He was kicked to the curb. Just wish he would have picked a different team to join. I wonder if Green Bay even considered an offer.

Does Wayne have anything left in the tank? Seems like he may be a guy that gets snagged by someone in a redraft too early due to name rec, and being on the Pats.

JohnnyU said:
Faust said:
Fantasy owners are starting to pick up Wayne again. I think they are better off taking a flyer on someone like Jeff Janis or Chris Johnson if you need a RB. I seriously doubt Wayne makes an impact in fantasy this year or any year going forward.
Agreed. I'd feel differently if he was better last season and the Colts were moving on due to age. But he was disappointing last season in a pass happy offense. I'm not sure going to GB or NE is any better of a situation than he was in last year. Sure, he's another year removed from the ACL injury, but he'll also be 37 in November.
Just playing Devil's advocate here because I have been such a fan of Wayne and for at least 5 years I think I've been that guy saying "don't write Reggie Wayne off"...been right and got great value three times. Two times the injuries made it turn out bad.

Anyway, as much as I like/love Reggie and as much as I appreciate his hands and understand that its his route running precision that helps him and he doesn't have to rely on speed AT ALL, I have to say this is a signing that makes a lot of people feel "safe" and, sure, it can help a real life team in situational play, but this isn't going to be a player you want to have on a ff roster for anything except byes and injuries.

he was done last year...I hope my leaguemates grab him. Best case scenario what's his upside 700-4? No interest

he was done last year...I hope my leaguemates grab him. Best case scenario what's his upside 700-4? No interest
THe 700 yards might be a high number but I can see a scenario where he catches 7-8 Tds because it is a high scoring offense and he ahs great hands and runs excellent routes. Brady WILL love that. Now, they might all be 3 yard Tds because that's probably his best chance to capitalize on those skills and get TDs (he's not outrunning anyone for 30 yards these days).

THe 700 yards might be a high number but I can see a scenario where he catches 7-8 Tds because it is a high scoring offense and he ahs great hands and runs excellent routes. Brady WILL love that. Now, they might all be 3 yard Tds because that's probably his best chance to capitalize on those skills and get TDs (he's not outrunning anyone for 30 yards these days).
he was on the #1 passing offense last year that threw 42 TDs and he had 2. great career and a hell of a wr but I just can't see him having any fantasy value....

he was on the #1 passing offense last year that threw 42 TDs and he had 2. great career and a hell of a wr but I just can't see him having any fantasy value....
Last year he played hurt all year. Apples and oranges that we could slice up any way we want but if you look at it practically and think about it its not hard to realize Brady loves Precise players and that is exactly what Wayne is. He is extremely precise and he has terrific hands. The Patriots WILL appreciate that in red zone situations of 8 or so yards and less. Does that give him fantasy value? I don't know. Depends on the league and situation. I probably will pass on him. But I won't be a bit surprised if he ends up with 48/410/7-8.

IF he is in games and playing, that is by his best threat to a defense at this point; a sure-handed WR who can be in the position that Brady wants on a very quick play.

Last year he played hurt all year. Apples and oranges that we could slice up any way we want but if you look at it practically and think about it its not hard to realize Brady loves Precise players and that is exactly what Wayne is. He is extremely precise and he has terrific hands. The Patriots WILL appreciate that in red zone situations of 8 or so yards and less. Does that give him fantasy value? I don't know. Depends on the league and situation. I probably will pass on him. But I won't be a bit surprised if he ends up with 48/410/7-8.

IF he is in games and playing, that is by his best threat to a defense at this point; a sure-handed WR who can be in the position that Brady wants on a very quick play.
don't really care that much about him but he scored 10 tds 6 years ago in 2009 and followed that up with 6, 4, 5, 2 and 2. He's done.

He doesn't have the lateral ability he once had. That will make him awfully limited in the red zone.

DGB would have 10 TDs in preseason if all it took was height and ups.

Few teams throw the lob to the tall wideout anymore and Wayne is just 6 foot.

He's always been good, if not great, at boxing out like in hoops. He can do that.

I think you're mistaken and he'll be valuable between the 20s now and then, but the red zone is too tight and that lack of agility will hurt him

I guess we'll see

He doesn't have the lateral ability he once had. That will make him awfully limited in the red zone.

DGB would have 10 TDs in preseason if all it took was height and ups.

Few teams throw the lob to the tall wideout anymore and Wayne is just 6 foot.

He's always been good, if not great, at boxing out like in hoops. He can do that.

I think you're mistaken and he'll be valuable between the 20s now and then, but the red zone is too tight and that lack of agility will hurt him

I guess we'll see
Yeah, I think we see in from complete opposite perspectives. I see it as Brady wants precision and quick throws and that is Reggie. He will be where you want him (in a short game) and he will be reliable. He's better at route running/hands combo than 90% of the league on a consistency basis.

Wayne's not even in the conversation for 50/50 balls and jumps in the red zone. That's not even in my mind. What I'm talking about is all those visions of how the Pats will slide this guy underneath here or find that one particular 2 foot spot of grass there. They are just "shifty" in the RZ. They like to exploit mismatches and Reggie Wayne running routs from 3 yards out on an opponent's 3rd or 4th DB is just something that can be exploited all year long.

Again, I'm passing on him myself. I'm not expecting miracles. But if he is healthy all year, there is no way he doesn't get 6-8 Tds. Hoodie is going to love him. Reggie is MISTER do your job. They love repetitive pursuit of perfection. That is what Reggie Wayne is.

JohnnyU said:
Faust said:
I dropped some garbage for him in a couple of leagues just in case ;) he somehow found the fountain of youth.

Does Wayne have anything left in the tank? Seems like he may be a guy that gets snagged by someone in a redraft too early due to name rec, and being on the Pats.
most likely true. I got him fairly cheap in an auction a few months back hoping for something like this. Really, he couldn't have signed with a better team. Don't know if he'll do anything, but when his price is similar to Josh Boyce, Corey Fuller, Dwayne Harris, and other scrubs, he's worth the gamble.

I put his production somewhere between Lafell and Amendola last year. So rock bottom to okay WR3.

Dependent on whats up with Lafell atm.

SeniorVBDStudent said:
Pffft at calling wayne a traitor. The colts cut him loose. You reap what you sow.
Exactly. It was their decision to cut him loose, they had to have known this was a possibly.

Sputnikv8 said:
Traitor! Will be interesting to watch his homecoming. I can't imagine the crowd treating him well.
You can't actually be serious.

Is he serious?

I'd hope he gets a standing ovation... anything less and I'd be very disappointed in Indy fans. Guy was told the team didn't want him, tried to find work, and went to the only team that wanted him or the one that gave him the best offer. Can't even remotely put him down for this.

Odd that he'd grind through training camp all the way to cutdown day and then suddenly, on the eve of real games, "ask to be let go."

This smacks of BB calling him in, and saying "We won't be taking you into the season with us. But we respect you and your reputaton, so if you want to play this like it was your choice to walk away, we can let that happen."

Odd that he'd grind through training camp all the way to cutdown day and then suddenly, on the eve of real games, "ask to be let go."

This smacks of BB calling him in, and saying "We won't be taking you into the season with us. But we respect you and your reputaton, so if you want to play this like it was your choice to walk away, we can let that happen."
All the way through training camp? He was there for like 10 or 11 days.

He's only been there about ten days

Or Belichick told him, "You can be our #5 WR, but you'll never play." That's basically what happened to Jerry Rice in Denver.

He's only been there about ten days
Yes, but what ballplayer decides to come in for any camp, then pack it in as soon as camp is over?

I get older guys deciding to hang it up after the FIRST few days, but not after the LAST day.

Users who are viewing this thread