What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reggie Wayne Career Over? (1 Viewer)

Wayne has been underrated and overlooked for the past 4 years. The truth in that scenario though is he now has a legit health issue where he never did before. He literally had not missed a game since his rookie year before the ACL. But other than that, he hasn't been a speed guy in forever. He isn't dependent on a system to flourish. He has terrific hands, has the trust of Luck, and knows exactly what to do on the field. I think he catches something like 85-105/1000-ish/8. He is such a chain mover and the trusted guy, that its almost a foregone conclusion (to me, anyway) that he will pile up catches.

Wayne has been underrated and overlooked for the past 4 years. The truth in that scenario though is he now has a legit health issue where he never did before. He literally had not missed a game since his rookie year before the ACL. But other than that, he hasn't been a speed guy in forever. He isn't dependent on a system to flourish. He has terrific hands, has the trust of Luck, and knows exactly what to do on the field. I think he catches something like 85-105/1000-ish/8. He is such a chain mover and the trusted guy, that its almost a foregone conclusion (to me, anyway) that he will pile up catches.
the guy's 35 coming off acl surgery and hasn't hit 8+ td in 5 yrs.

12punch said:
Shutout said:
That's a little cherry picking isn't it? Pointing out a stat like that and ignoring the others. Ok, as recently as 2009 he had 10. He's had 9 or 10 a few other times. In the last 3-4 recent years if you count last year when he was hurt, he's logged 5 or 6 a year. Ok. But look at what the guy's done (and keep in mind that year between Manning and Luck and that luck is just now starting to scrape the surface of what he will be). In the past previous eight (8) years, his FLOOR was 82 catches. He was hitting 86, 100, 102, 111. His yards FLOOR was 1000 yards. That's a heck of an accomplishment for a guy that isn't dominating games like a Dex or Calvin does. He just goes out there and is part of the plan week in and week out, catching 5 here, 8 there, and at the end of the year, its an amazing year.

Yeah, he's older. He was injured. He could fall off and be done. But for where you can get him, I'm buying him all day long because if he is on the field, he is a LEGITIMATE threat for 4-5/70-80 every single week.

12punch said:
Shutout said:
That's a little cherry picking isn't it? Pointing out a stat like that and ignoring the others. Ok, as recently as 2009 he had 10. He's had 9 or 10 a few other times. In the last 3-4 recent years if you count last year when he was hurt, he's logged 5 or 6 a year. Ok. But look at what the guy's done (and keep in mind that year between Manning and Luck and that luck is just now starting to scrape the surface of what he will be). In the past previous eight (8) years, his FLOOR was 82 catches. He was hitting 86, 100, 102, 111. His yards FLOOR was 1000 yards. That's a heck of an accomplishment for a guy that isn't dominating games like a Dex or Calvin does. He just goes out there and is part of the plan week in and week out, catching 5 here, 8 there, and at the end of the year, its an amazing year.

Yeah, he's older. He was injured. He could fall off and be done. But for where you can get him, I'm buying him all day long because if he is on the field, he is a LEGITIMATE threat for 4-5/70-80 every single week.
I'll give you that 8 TDs is doable because TDs are highly variable.

Wayne is older and now coming off major injury. The Colts get Dwayne Allen back and should have two productive TEs. Nicks is also in the mix... as well as Hilton. Also, I expect one of Rogers or Moncrief to step up... I'm betting that youth prevails.

I do agree that he could/should be steady. It's the lack of upside that turns me off. When a guy dominates a game he can carry your week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shutout said:
I think he catches something like 85-105/1000-ish/8. He is such a chain mover and the trusted guy, that its almost a foregone conclusion (to me, anyway) that he will pile up catches.
anything is possible but that's a crazy projection for him.

Shutout said:
I think he catches something like 85-105/1000-ish/8. He is such a chain mover and the trusted guy, that its almost a foregone conclusion (to me, anyway) that he will pile up catches.
anything is possible but that's a crazy projection for him.
I based it off what I''ve seen over the years. I think people really don't pay attention to just what this guy has done over the years. But anyway, last night when I was replying to a post, I jumped over to check a yearly stat for him and actually saw that several ff sites are predicting actually higher numbers than what I posted. Lower on the TDs but about the same in catches and more yards. So I don't think it's crazy. More of just I guess there are some of us that have watched him closely enough to know what he is on this team (or watched him closely enough that we can't see the forest for the trees and are wearing rose colored glasses).

We will see which is correct but I know I'm far from the only one out there thinking this.

12punch said:
Shutout said:

I'll give you that 8 TDs is doable because TDs are highly variable.

Wayne is older and now coming off major injury. The Colts get Dwayne Allen back and should have two productive TEs. Nicks is also in the mix... as well as Hilton. Also, I expect one of Rogers or Moncrief to step up... I'm betting that youth prevails.

I do agree that he could/should be steady. It's the lack of upside that turns me off. When a guy dominates a game he can carry your week.
I see your point in all the other mouths to feed. Could be true. I guess I just cling to that idea of thinking how much Luck really seemed to miss his presence when he was out. I think he is that guy Luck will look to often.

The bolded part: Everyone has their own ideas on this kind of thing but to me sometimes steady and known and consistent is every bit as valuable as the upside guy. Very few ff teams have a roster full of elites. I know Chris Johnson can carry me when he blows up. But he's also the guy that will literally get 8 or fewer points in half the games. I'd rather have that steady Wayne type that is going to be Mr. 10-12 points every week and rely on my top picks to do their jobs as elites. Let the points pile up. I like that idea better than going for the upside guy (I'll take that Saints rookie WR...upside) only to see come Week 15 when I need him, the upside guy hasn't upsided for me.

Rotoworld:

Reggie Wayne (ACL) has been "effortlessly snatching passes out of the air" at Colts training camp, and coach Chuck Pagano deemed his recovery "really incredible."
"I've done everything I've wanted to do," said Wayne, who is all systems go. "I've run every route." Three players in NFL history have topped 1,000 receiving yards after their 36th birthday, and Wayne appears on pace to become No. 4. (He turns 36 in November.) Beat writer reports on Wayne's practice play have been unfailingly positive. Whereas T.Y. Hilton's Average Draft Position is at the fifth-/sixth-round turn, Wayne is available in the seventh and eighth rounds of drafts.

Source: Indianapolis Star

On pace for 92/1288/4, a pace that's very reminiscent to what he's done over the past four or so years. Although the 14YPC isn't likely sustainable (I'd expect him to hover closer to 12-13) it puts him squarely into WR2 range, especially if that TD pace bumps up to 5 or 6. Personally, I'm amazed. I was slightly hesitant to draft him in several different places but as a WR4 I believed him to be worth the risk. He may not have a super high ceiling (would have to imagine today is it) but you have to love his PPR floor, especially with Luck beginning his ascendance into elite status.

On pace for 92/1288/4, a pace that's very reminiscent to what he's done over the past four or so years. Although the 14YPC isn't likely sustainable (I'd expect him to hover closer to 12-13) it puts him squarely into WR2 range, especially if that TD pace bumps up to 5 or 6. Personally, I'm amazed. I was slightly hesitant to draft him in several different places but as a WR4 I believed him to be worth the risk. He may not have a super high ceiling (would have to imagine today is it) but you have to love his PPR floor, especially with Luck beginning his ascendance into elite status.
It's interesting how they use so many players on offense. The best QBs do seem to spread it around, but it seems like he's not going to have enough stats to make FFers happy. He's got some veteran savvy to always make the most of his opportunities. This resting has to help his ol bones and tired knees, who knows how long his career can last playing this way.

And I was called "crazy" for predicting 85/100/8. LOL. I'll take the 2-3 off on the TD in a ppr to get the extra 300 yards or so.

The thing with Wayne in how he has been so steady (and doesn't put up the AJ Green/Megatron stats) is that he bores people, but, like you mention you have to love this guys as a secondary piece in PPR.

There are probably guys out there with Tory Smith and Pierre Garcon and some of those types that WISH they could get 7-10 every week out of a 3rd WR right now.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WaynRe00/gamelog/2013/

Only one game with less than 5 catches (4/58 vs 49ers). It's not like T.Y. Hilton was exactly consistent, in

real life or in fantasy. Andrew is going to lean on Reggie again when he's back next year. T.Y. is extremely good in the #2 speedster role (and is a decent #1, but not the polished guy Reggie

is). He could put in another 1200 yard season this year, and if he's starting in the preseason, I'd buy hard.
Nicks is a big upgrade over DHB and Allen is

back. If Luck is who he's supposed to be he's going to spread the ball around and not lean on any particular player.
Luck is what his OC allows him to be. This was obvious last year when Hamilton tried to pound the running game to no avail. Once Luck had the reigns taken off, he was able to find success AND failures.

With that said, if Wayne comes to camp healthy, he will be Luck's go-to guy. I'd venture a guess that there aren't 5 guys in the league who have come to camp in better shape than Wayne

during his career.

Nicks is a big upgrade over DHB and Allen is back. If Luck is who he's supposed to be he's going to spread the ball around and not lean on

any particular player.
It's nice to get one right every now and then. :D

Rotoworld:

Speaking in a Tuesday radio interview, Reggie Wayne (elbow) said it's "too early" to know if he'll suit up for Sunday's game against the Steelers.

Wayne will sit out Wednesday's practice, but that's something he's done all season. Reading through the lines of the rest of Wayne's interview, it sounds like he will miss Week 8, but should be back to full speed in 1-2 weeks. His status will be updated on Wednesday.

Source: Mike Chappell on Twitter
Oct 21 - 5:12 PM

Rotoworld:

A source tells ABC6 in Indy that Reggie Wayne (elbow) could miss 1-2 games.

Wayne landed awkwardly on his left arm early in Sunday's win over the Bengals. He hardly missed any snaps, but did have two uncharacteristic drops later on. The injury sounds like some kind of minor sprain that the Colts might exercise caution with. Hakeem Nicks projects to slide into an every-down role opposite T.Y. Hilton, but Donte Moncrief has been closing the gap there lately. Nicks would be a desperation fantasy WR4 despite the opportunity.

Related: Hakeem Nicks, Donte Moncrief

Source: rtv6.com
Oct 21 - 10:31 AM

And this gets brought up under the old Reggie Wayne Career Over? thread?

No, I think he'll be back. I say he only misses a handful of games, if that.

Hilton is going to be such a target monster on Sunday it will be crazy. 14 targets for 11 catches 140 yards and a TD.

Hilton is going to be such a target monster on Sunday it will be crazy. 14 targets for 11 catches 140 yards and a TD.
Agreed. I'm more curious to see if Nicks can snap out of it now.
He has been in a trance for what...going on 4-5 years now? He is not snapping out of anything.

Rotoworld:

Reggie Wayne - WR - Colts

The Indianapolis Star says "it's becoming more and more apparent that (Reggie Wayne) has lost a step."

Wayne was not good against the Jags on Sunday, catching 3-of-9 targets for 10 yards and failing to separate. It's what we'd expect out of a 36-year-old wideout one year removed from blowing out his knee. Wayne isn't going anywhere as a solid possession receiver and security blanket for Andrew Luck, but he's capped at the WR3 level. He's averaging just 4.0 catches for 44.2 yards with one touchdown over the last five weeks.

Nov 24 - 10:52 AM

Rotoworld:

Reggie Wayne - WR - Colts

The Indianapolis Star says "it's becoming more and more apparent that (Reggie Wayne) has lost a step."

Wayne was not good against the Jags on Sunday, catching 3-of-9 targets for 10 yards and failing to separate. It's what we'd expect out of a 36-year-old wideout one year removed from blowing out his knee. Wayne isn't going anywhere as a solid possession receiver and security blanket for Andrew Luck, but he's capped at the WR3 level. He's averaging just 4.0 catches for 44.2 yards with one touchdown over the last five weeks.

Nov 24 - 10:52 AM
Not sure he lost a step. He hasn't been fast for years. Its just that they put Moncrief and Hilton on the field with him and they make everyone look like they lost a step. In TRICH's case, maybe 2 and 1/2,

Interesting that Pagano force fed Wayne at the very end to keep his 3-catch streak alive rather than take a knee: http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2014/11/24/doyel-who-are-you-and-where-did-you-hide-reggie-wayne/19481827/
When Peyton Manning stops throwing ad naseum, I'll care. Not because he DOES throw but because he acts disgenuinely disgusted by it after he does it. He's a record-chaser just like 905 of them.

THe only thing that looks weird in this to me is that it is so unlike Reggie Wayne in almost every way.

Interesting that Pagano force fed Wayne at the very end to keep his 3-catch streak alive rather than take a knee: http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2014/11/24/doyel-who-are-you-and-where-did-you-hide-reggie-wayne/19481827/
When Peyton Manning stops throwing ad naseum, I'll care. Not because he DOES throw but because he acts disgenuinely disgusted by it after he does it. He's a record-chaser just like 905 of them.

THe only thing that looks weird in this to me is that it is so unlike Reggie Wayne in almost every way.
And it's such a silly, arbitrary "record."

Back in 1990, Warren Moon had 527 passing yards in a game vs. Kansas City in the middle of the fourth quarter.

Though he had plenty of time to break Norm Van Brocklin's single game record of 554, the Oilers were up by 17 points and started running the ball on every down to burn the clock.

Asked after the game about why he didn't throw a few more passes to go for the record, Moon replied (paraphrasing from memory here): "We had the game well in hand. The situation called for running the ball. If I had broken the record because we needed to throw passes in a close game, it would mean something. To just go after the record for the sake of the record, that's not important to me."

Somebody in Indy doesn't remember this. And that's a REAL record, one that has stood for decades.

Catching three or more passes in x-number of consecutive games is a phony "record."

Shutout said:
zamboni said:

I don't hold any hard feelings for Wayne but I recall Manning throwing something like 10-12 short passes in the flat to Wayne/Clark in a meaningless late season game to get them both to a milestone.

Jack White said:
Shutout said:
zamboni said:

And it's such a silly, arbitrary "record."

Back in 1990, Warren Moon had 527 passing yards in a game vs. Kansas City in the middle of the fourth quarter.

Though he had plenty of time to break Norm Van Brocklin's single game record of 554, the Oilers were up by 17 points and started running the ball on every down to burn the clock.

Asked after the game about why he didn't throw a few more passes to go for the record, Moon replied (paraphrasing from memory here): "We had the game well in hand. The situation called for running the ball. If I had broken the record because we needed to throw passes in a close game, it would mean something. To just go after the record for the sake of the record, that's not important to me."

Somebody in Indy doesn't remember this. And that's a REAL record, one that has stood for decades.

Catching three or more passes in x-number of consecutive games is a phony "record."
What's the record for 2 receptions? 4? 5?

Record for a reception in every game has some meaning, but more of a "he stays healthy and good enough to play" sort than anything else. (helps that it's held by the GOAT)

NFL.com doesn't even list Wayne's "record" http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/indiv/receiving

I'd say he's played his last game. I know he's played his last game for the Colts. He's due 4 million next year and it isn't guaranteed. I wouldn't be surprised to hear him announce his retirement in the next few days.
Oops

doowain said:
I'd say he's played his last game. I know he's played his last game for the Colts. He's due 4 million next year and it isn't guaranteed. I wouldn't be surprised to hear him announce his retirement in the next few days.
Oops
Close enough. Might as well have been retired

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we please rename this thread please? The title is far too depressing and reactionary to a negative event for someone as badass and accomplished as Reggie Wayne.

Reggie Wayne Appreciation Thread perhaps?

1 catch for 5 yards. I guess the streak is over.

He looked pretty bad today. At least one terrible drop. I think he ought to make this year his last. He had a good career.

Yeah, you can see a difference now this year. Such a great player but it happens to all of us.

Rotowolrd:

Coach Chuck Pagano said Reggie Wayne is battling knee and elbow injuries in addition to a torn triceps.

It looks like a case of a coach coming to the aid of a player after he had another terrible game. Wayne had one catch on eight targets against the Browns even though Joe Haden was locked on T.Y. Hilton. We don't doubt that Wayne is banged up, but the fact of the matter is he's a 36 year old wideout one year removed from an ACL tear. It shouldn't surprise anyone that he's struggling.

Source: Zak Keefer on Twitter
Dec 7 - 8:58 PM

Rotoworld:

Coach Chuck Pagano was noncommittal Monday when asked if the Colts might shut down Reggie Wayne (torn triceps) for the season.
It sounds like there's a real chance Wayne is shut down, at least for awhile. If so, playing time would open for impressive rookie Donte Moncrief, whose physical 27-yard catch-and-run in the fourth quarter Sunday set up T.Y. Hilton's game-winning one-yard TD. Despite seeing 22 targets over the past three weeks, Wayne has managed receiving lines of 3-10-0, 4-31-0, and 1-5-0.

Source: Stephen Holder on Twitter
Dec 8 - 4:14 PM

Rotoworld:

Coach Chuck Pagano was noncommittal Monday when asked if the Colts might shut down Reggie Wayne (torn triceps) for the season.
It sounds like there's a real chance Wayne is shut down, at least for awhile. If so, playing time would open for impressive rookie Donte Moncrief, whose physical 27-yard catch-and-run in the fourth quarter Sunday set up T.Y. Hilton's game-winning one-yard TD. Despite seeing 22 targets over the past three weeks, Wayne has managed receiving lines of 3-10-0, 4-31-0, and 1-5-0.

Source: Stephen Holder on Twitter
Dec 8 - 4:14 PM
Wayne is one of my favorite players of all time, but he's hurting the team by playing. The need to give Wayne's touches to Moncrief in a big way.

Oops
Close enough. Might as well have been retired
Close enough?

I'm referring to the bolded.
He sure looks finished now doesn't he?
What does that have to do with your claim at that time he would never play for the Colts again?

I do agree that Moncrief should be starting.

Users who are viewing this thread