What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenneth Gainwell, PHI (1 Viewer)

I look for him to take a step forward in 2022. He looked good towards the end of the season when he got opportunity.   He may not be start worthy on a weekly basis, but he should have his moments and worth a flex option in the right match up.  I don’t see Sanders or Scott as a major obstacle going forward, given his chops in the receiving game.
So he’s a dart throw just like last year…..a bye week filler.  I’m a u of m alumni, and in no way does he possess the talent of Sanders. 

JohnnyU said:
Shawnky said:
So he’s a dart throw just like last year…..a bye week filler.  I’m a u of m alumni, and in no way does he possess the talent of Sanders. 
I wouldn't be so sure about that.
Agreed - Sirianni sure doesn’t seem to think that way of Sanders, who is assuredly gone after next year when his contract is up. I’d be more bullish on Gainwell if Scott and Howard weren’t there. 

Agreed - Sirianni sure doesn’t seem to think that way of Sanders, who is assuredly gone after next year when his contract is up. I’d be more bullish on Gainwell if Scott and Howard weren’t there. 
I don't agree with that and I thought we beat that convo to death last year on here but one more time. Mile Sanders when healthy always started and always led the team in snaps and touches. The game he got injured happened to be the game they went more run heavy. When he got back from injury he had 16, 10(I think he got dinged up in this game), 27,  and 20 touches and then got hurt again.

Miles Sanders is the clear cut #1 RB on this team and honestly is one of the better draft values going right now in redraft.

Gainwell should pick it up. Remember he's the very rare player I recall scouting whose last season of college football they were their conferences freshman of the year. One full year of college and then a year off. He's got a lot of ability and growth and will have some use when Sanders is healthy because Sirianie is not a bell cow kind of guy but Gainwell won't be taking off next year as any kind of key fantasy asset while Sanders is healthy.

UFA Howard may be gone, but may stay because of lack of interest.  No one wanted him the last time he was a FA if memory serves.  They like Scott as a RB3 IMO.  Regardless of Sanders, I think Gainwell takes another step forward in 2022.  If he hadn't sat out in 2020 due to several family members dying of COVID I think he would have been a day 2 pick instead of the 5th round.  That definitely hurt his daft stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
UFA Howard may be gone, but may stay because of lack of interest.  No one wanted him the last time he was a FA if memory serves.  They like Scott as a RB3 IMO.  Regardless of Sanders I think Gainwell takes another step forward in 2022.  If he hadn't sat out in 2020 due to several family members dying of COVID I think he would have been a day 2 pick instead of the 5th round.  That definitely hurt his daft stock.
Scott is also a UFA and my be gone, likely will be if someone else wants him bad enough.

You are right he is restricted but I don't think it will make much difference, or he will.
Perhaps, but the Eagles do like him and will probably resign him to a reasonable deal.  He will have a role.  I'm not looking at these other RBs when I think of Gainwell.  I just want him to take a step forward in 2022 and things will work themselves out at the end of the day.

I tried to trade for him in a few leagues, I think the asking price for Sanders is lower lol Owners (at least those who talk with me) are in LOVE with Gainwell 

I tried to trade for him in a few leagues, I think the asking price for Sanders is lower lol Owners (at least those who talk with me) are in LOVE with Gainwell 

Each league is it's own identity but my experience has been different. He was cut in one of my FFPC leagues and I could not get a second a decent second for him the one place I got him.

I offered 2.06 straight up, another offer was a package deal but the owners rejected it and said Gainwell is a deal-breaker 

Kenneth Gainwell was practicing with the first team at the start of training camp.

Bleeding Green's Brandon Lee Gowton also noted that Gainwell got some reps at receiver. Running backs playing receiver and backups running with the first team are tales as old as time, though they often amount to little by the time Week 1 rolls around. It's still worth noting as Miles Sanders, who ran with the second team, has struggled as a pass-catcher and was vocal in the offseason about his limited workload. It's possible that the Eagles are ready to move on to Gainwell, a fifth-round pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. If Gainwell keeps working with the first unit, he will quickly rise into the middle rounds of fantasy drafts.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Brandon Lee Gowton
Jul 29, 2022, 4:09 PM ET

SI.com's John McMullen believes RB Kenneth Gainwell is "penciled in for high-leverage situations like third downs, the hurry-up offense, and goal-line work."​

Philadelphia backs have rotated throughout training camp, casting some doubt on who among them should be deemed the team's starter. Miles Sanders remains in the lead to have the No. 1 role, but it's Gainwell who could be used in the most important parts of the field -- and in situations that lead to more efficient fantasy production, like pass catching and work near the goal line. Through the first four weeks of 2021, before the Eagles went ultra run heavy, Gainwell ranked third in target per route run (35 percent) among running backs, trailing James White and Cordarrelle Patterson. He posted the seventh-best RB yards per route run (2.19) over that stretch. A more balanced Philadelphia offense in 2022 could fuel the kind of opportunity Gainwell would require to become a viable fantasy starter in 12-team formats.
RELATED:
SOURCE: SI.com
Aug 8, 2022, 8:39 AM ET

I'm not sure how much stock to put in from "SI reporter believes xyz..."

John McMullen
John McMullen is a veteran reporter who has covered the NFL for over two decades. The current NFL insider for JAKIB Media, John is the former NFL Editor for The Sports Network where his syndicated column was featured in over 200 outlets including the Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, and Miami Herald. He was also the national NFL columnist for Today's Pigskin as well as FanRag Sports.

McMullen has covered the Eagles on a daily basis since 2016, first for ESPN South Jersey and now for Eagles Today on SI.com's FanNation.

I'm not sure how much stock to put in from "SI reporter believes xyz..."

He's likely basing it on talking to the coaches or by what he's seen observing camp. Sure there's plenty of "fluff" in the offseason, but sometimes you can also glean some useful information.

SI.com's John McMullen believes RB Kenneth Gainwell is "penciled in for high-leverage situations like third downs, the hurry-up offense, and goal-line work."​

Philadelphia backs have rotated throughout training camp, casting some doubt on who among them should be deemed the team's starter. Miles Sanders remains in the lead to have the No. 1 role, but it's Gainwell who could be used in the most important parts of the field -- and in situations that lead to more efficient fantasy production, like pass catching and work near the goal line. Through the first four weeks of 2021, before the Eagles went ultra run heavy, Gainwell ranked third in target per route run (35 percent) among running backs, trailing James White and Cordarrelle Patterson. He posted the seventh-best RB yards per route run (2.19) over that stretch. A more balanced Philadelphia offense in 2022 could fuel the kind of opportunity Gainwell would require to become a viable fantasy starter in 12-team formats.
RELATED:
SOURCE: SI.com
Aug 8, 2022, 8:39 AM ET
I didn't follow the Eagles closely last year but it seemed like this was the situation early in the year. Gainwell was in around the goal line and notched a few scores, also was in the hurry-up catching passes. People will dismiss him because he's small but if he can get a role like Ekeler that involves HEAVY redzone work he could provide similar production at some point.

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

“Kenneth Gainwell playing while Scott rested points to him being RB3. Which is a little weird because Gainwell seemed like RB2 for most of camp.”
These Philly RBs seemed useless to me last year to cover injuries/bye weeks because I couldn't really ever figure who they were going to use. It seems like they use 2 guys most games and get production, but Sanders doesn't get TDs so someone always drafts him before I would. It seemed as if Gainwell had been in the doghouse until I started Scott. If I used Gainwell, they were using Scott or Jordan Howard. Or something like that. Not sure it's much clearer now

“Kenneth Gainwell playing while Scott rested points to him being RB3. Which is a little weird because Gainwell seemed like RB2 for most of camp.”
These Philly RBs seemed useless to If I used Gainwell, they were using Scott or Jordan Howard. Or something like that. Not sure it's much clearer now

These Philly RBs seemed useless to me last year to cover injuries/bye weeks because I couldn't really ever figure who they were going to use. Not sure it's much clearer now

I usually try and think about several reasons, or ("excuses" might be the better term) when it comes to things that make me avoid players.

Sanders has generally underwhelmed, and there are several issues, most notably injury and inconsistent usage (apparent last season early).
Well fast forward to weeks ago in camp.
Mikes Sanders comes right out in an interview and says "don't even draft me".
Well, I don't need to hear that more than once. I hated drafting him last year, and this year he's on my "DND/congratulations" list.
Once it gets to that point, I'll gladly avoid and let someone else own those problems.

Gainwell may indeed turn out to be a cheap "dart throw", but I won't get any Philly RBs for any reason this season. I'll look elsewhere.

Gainwell does all the things well that kill Sanders' value. Catch passes and score touchdowns.

Miles is the better runner but Gainwell is more versatile. You're gonna be ramming your head into the wall all year when starter Miles Sanders has 14 carries for 85 yards and Gainwell outscores him on 4 carries for 25 yards with 3 receptions for 35 yards and a TD.

Gainwell does all the things well that kill Sanders' value. Catch passes and score touchdowns.

Miles is the better runner but Gainwell is more versatile. You're gonna be ramming your head into the wall all year when starter Miles Sanders has 14 carries for 85 yards and Gainwell outscores him on 4 carries for 25 yards with 3 receptions for 35 yards and a TD.
...until Sirianni decides to use Scott the week you need Gainwell. This backfield is as annoying as it gets for fantasy purposes

I wouldn’t necessarily say Sanders is even the better runner.

I wouldn’t necessarily say Sanders is even the better runner.

Sanders has really good patience and vision. I think Gainwell has more acceleration but I don't think he could be a 3 down guy. He excels because he gets to run out of draws in 2 - 4 minute hurryup offenses. Sanders has a career average of 5.1 YPC, that's very good. Gainwell average 4.3 YPC.

Lots of guys around here we would love to see average 5.1 YPC. Sanders is a buy low. I think he ends up somewhere else next season and balls out. I just don't see Gainwell or Scott stealing significant carries besides the passing game work. But Sanders is a special talent. It's his patience and vision that make him a special player. I've always thought he played similar to Leveon Bell. He's got fresh legs, never tore an ACL or blew an Achilles. Just a bunch of ticky tack injuries, but he is playing for a bag.

Mr. 5.1 YPC will show up this year. Hopefully he put in the work on his goalline ability, add some weight / strength. Gotta bulldoze your way in there, pal.

Not a lot of risk at that ADP. I just don't see how he'll see much upside with Hurts GL/Gainwell on passing situations. Best rusher on team just can't stay healthy.

Kenneth Gainwell rushed five times for 20 yards and a touchdown in the Eagles' Week 1 win over the Lions.

Gainwell caught two of his four targets. He led the backfield in targets and appears to have secured a role on passing downs. Gainwell also subbed in for a red zone trip and punched in a short score. Three different running backs scored for the Eagles, making their backfield a messy committee. Gainwell may return some value through his pass-catching role, though he is nothing more than an RB4 for Week 2 against the Vikings.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Kenneth Gainwell rushed two times for seven yards and caught 1-of-2 targets for 11 yards in the Eagles' Week 2 win over the Vikings.​

Gainwell had a long catch-and-run called back on the opening drive, and his other missed connection was a failed screen pass that popped off his hands into the air for a Vikings interception. Gainwell was out-carried 17-4-2 by both Miles Sanders and Boston Scott. The second-year back remains a strong bench stash in fantasy but has a scary-low floor as a standalone RB3/4.
Sep 20, 2022, 12:13 AM ET

any point keeping this guy around, dynasty wise?
I'm not sure if Gainwell will ever be the main guy but my sense is that if the Eagles were willing to pay Sanders they would have extended him before the season. Sanders is probably not going to be back next year which could open up an opportunity for Gainwwell. :shrug:

any point keeping this guy around, dynasty wise?
I'm not sure if Gainwell will ever be the main guy but my sense is that if the Eagles were willing to pay Sanders they would have extended him before the season. Sanders is probably not going to be back next year which could open up an opportunity for Gainwwell. :shrug:
It probably will give him more opportunity but have to think they’ll bring in another decent RB next year to replace Sanders.

IMO Gainwell ~> Losebadly

Kenneth Gainwell rushed four times for 22 yards and a touchdown in the Eagles' Week 9 win over the Texans, adding three receptions for 16 additional yards.​

Gainwell's four-yard score in the second quarter, which came on a read option, was set up after Miles Sanders ran the Eagles inside the 10-yard line. So it goes sometimes. We thought we might see some Gainwell in closeout mode this evening, but the Texans kept the game close enough to prevent true garbage time from ever materializing. On the official game-ending drive, Philly relied on Jalen Hurts' legs and arm. Yet to surpass seven touches this season, Gainwell has failed to generate standalone PPR value.
Nov 3, 2022, 11:38 PM ET

Kenneth Gainwell rushed 12 times for 112 yards and a touchdown in the Eagles' Divisional Round win over the Giants, adding nine yards on one reception.​

Gainwell became the first Philadelphia running back to eclipse 100 yards on the ground in the playoffs since Shady McCoy, capped off by a 35-yard garbage time touchdown late in the fourth quarter. He was afforded additional opportunities in the convincing win after the Eagles jumped out to a 28-0 lead in the first half. Miles Sanders could be in store for a more hefty workload in the Conference Championship after dominating the first half touches.
Jan 22, 2023, 12:19 AM ET

Philly letting Sanders walk, signing off-injured Penny and re-signing Scott…this surely means that Gainwell is in line for a much larger share of the running game? Thoughts?

Philly letting Sanders walk, signing off-injured Penny and re-signing Scott…this surely means that Gainwell is in line for a much larger share of the running game? Thoughts?
Thought I read Philly liked Gainwell in his current part time role but I could definitely be wrong.

No thoughts until we see what else they bring in…anything is possible with Philly including ending up with Bijan or Gibbs or even dealing for someone like Henry or Cook…I would not be making any assumptions…a lot of different ways this could go.

Users who are viewing this thread