What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenneth Gainwell, PHI (1 Viewer)

You like Gainwell over Michel for the ROS prospect, MoP?
My problem with Sony Michel is when given the opportunity he doesn't seem to make the type of impact where people are wanting him to get more touches. Maybe I'm wrong but he hasn't shined just yet. If he is the starter on Sunday I could see him rushing for 50-60 yds and if he doesn't score then he's a dud. 

Gainwell's role will expand I would guess as the season rolls along. Rookie WR, Young WRs, Banged up TEs, young mobile QB that makes plays, Gainwell should evolve into a valuable piece there. His upside could be James White this season if he could get more targets. Philly blew out Atlanta, tight loss to San Fran but they weren't crushed, they haven't really been in a wide open shootout yet, more offense more opps for Gainwell. I like Sanders in front of him but he is not a Top5 RB IMO so there is room for him to add something to the Philly backfield it might not have at the moment. 

Sony is on the same teams where I have Gainwell, fyi

Last edited by a moderator:
Not speaking for MoP, but I prefer Gainwell over Michel and it isn't really that close.
I'm a high top Johnny U fan too! I pulled the trigger in two leagues. Gainwell over AJ Dillon and Gainwell over Sony. If anyone else goes down in my third league I could also add him there. Last weeks lower output keeps the radar off him. Thanks JohnnyU!

Kenneth Gainwell rushed one time for two yards and caught 3-of-4 targets for 32 yards in the Eagles' Week 3 loss to the Cowboys.

Gainwell didn't touch the ball in the first half, and the Eagles called just three run plays to their running backs in this one. Miles Sanders handled the other two. Gainwell really wasn't involved until the final couple possessions with the game already out of hand. He's still well ahead of Boston Scott as the backup to Sanders. Gainwell needs to be rostered in all 12- and 14-team leagues.

Sep 28, 2021, 12:05 AM ET

Kenneth Gainwell rushed three times for 31 yards and caught 6-of-8 targets for 58 yards in Week 4 against the Chiefs.

Gainwell outplayed Miles Sanders, who had 47 yards on 10 touches. The rookie converted a red-zone TD from seven yards out for his score and tied for second in targets behind DeVonta Smith. This was the first notable game from Gainwell since his big Week 1, but it's fair to wonder whether he could start to eat into Sanders's early down snaps.

Going to have to find a way to get him into more of my lineups. I liked him this week and used him in a couple desperate spots. But wasn't super confident in some others so I left him on my bench. Drafted him for cheap in a lot of rookie drafts and redrafts.

Kenneth Gainwell rushed three times for 31 yards and caught 6-of-8 targets for 58 yards in Week 4 against the Chiefs.

Gainwell outplayed Miles Sanders, who had 47 yards on 10 touches. The rookie converted a red-zone TD from seven yards out for his score and tied for second in targets behind DeVonta Smith. This was the first notable game from Gainwell since his big Week 1, but it's fair to wonder whether he could start to eat into Sanders's early down snaps.
I'd say more expected than "fair to wonder" at this point.

For those who watched, how much of his receiving came in garbage time?

I'm holding for now, especially because of my lack of depth at RB, but I'll need to see more before I'm willing to start him. Aside from the workload concerns with Sanders, there's also the fact that that Eagles offense looks pretty terrible.

I'm holding for now, especially because of my lack of depth at RB, but I'll need to see more before I'm willing to start him. Aside from the workload concerns with Sanders, there's also the fact that that Eagles offense looks pretty terrible.
Didn't watch the whole game but Gainwell had 2 key plays on a drive in the 4th including a TD run to pull the Eagles to within 5. 

I saw him involved and targeted early. I was just watching redzone though.

KENNETH GAINWELL RB, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

ESPN's Tim McManus said the Eagles' backfield "is creeping closer to a timeshare and will stay that way unless and until [Miles] Sanders starts busting loose."

Rookie Kenneth Gainwell has been the team's most effective backfield option through the season's first month, outplaying Sanders in Week 4 with 31 rushing yards, six receptions for 58 yards, and a touchdown. Gainwell, who headed into Week 4 splitting pass-catching duties with Sanders, seemed to take over as Nick Sirriani's preferred running back in two-minute drills and third downs. Sanders has seen more than 60 percent of the Eagles' offensive snaps in each of their first four games, positioning him as the lead back for now. Both Philly RBs will be tough to trust in Week 5 against Carolina. 

RELATED: 

Miles Sanders

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Oct 5, 2021, 12:37 PM ET

He got dropped this week in one 12 man league I'm in. I'm going to put a WW bid for him and drop Tony Jones. Hoping to match him up with Jalen Hurts. I can't imagine too many people bidding for him this week. 

He got dropped this week in one 12 man league I'm in. I'm going to put a WW bid for him and drop Tony Jones. Hoping to match him up with Jalen Hurts. I can't imagine too many people bidding for him this week. 

Anyone who watches the games can see that he's getting plenty of the high value touches. They looked great in week 1 when they featured him, and then the team looked awful when his role was reduced in weeks 2 and 3... and then they spiked again when they went back to him in week 4. He's pretty dynamic and makes their offense better. I would definitely grab him.

tricky92 said:
Anyone who watches the games can see that he's getting plenty of the high value touches. They looked great in week 1 when they featured him, and then the team looked awful when his role was reduced in weeks 2 and 3... and then they spiked again when they went back to him in week 4. He's pretty dynamic and makes their offense better. I would definitely grab him.
I would agree with this. Having started Sanders all four weeks and watching good chunks of the games, there were several times I frustratingly saw Gainwell in there over Sanders during high leverage situations. I imagine that only will increase going forward.

Faust said:
KENNETH GAINWELL RB, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

ESPN's Tim McManus said the Eagles' backfield "is creeping closer to a timeshare and will stay that way unless and until [Miles] Sanders starts busting loose."

Rookie Kenneth Gainwell has been the team's most effective backfield option through the season's first month, outplaying Sanders in Week 4 with 31 rushing yards, six receptions for 58 yards, and a touchdown. Gainwell, who headed into Week 4 splitting pass-catching duties with Sanders, seemed to take over as Nick Sirriani's preferred running back in two-minute drills and third downs. Sanders has seen more than 60 percent of the Eagles' offensive snaps in each of their first four games, positioning him as the lead back for now. Both Philly RBs will be tough to trust in Week 5 against Carolina. 

RELATED: 

Miles Sanders

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Oct 5, 2021, 12:37 PM ET
Problem with this is that Philly really hasn't given Miles much of a chance. Sanders has looked fantastic with limited action, but most of his work has been with traditional down/distance. Gainwell has seen most of his action on obvious pass downs and in 2 min drills. It's a mistake to assume Gainwell is the better back or will take over the early down work anytime soon. It isn't unfair to think Gainwell will continue to gobble up those 2 minute drill and pass down touches....which will keep this a frustrating timeshare for fantasy purposes with both RBs becoming high risk/reward RB2 types for fantasy

Problem with this is that Philly really hasn't given Miles much of a chance. Sanders has looked fantastic with limited action, but most of his work has been with traditional down/distance. Gainwell has seen most of his action on obvious pass downs and in 2 min drills. It's a mistake to assume Gainwell is the better back or will take over the early down work anytime soon. It isn't unfair to think Gainwell will continue to gobble up those 2 minute drill and pass down touches....which will keep this a frustrating timeshare for fantasy purposes with both RBs becoming high risk/reward RB2 types for fantasy
Calling Sanders a RB2 seems generous.  

I don’t think anyone will argue that Sanders has looked good in limited opportunities, but all we can go on is what we see: Sirianni clearly seems to like Gainwell a lot and often uses him in high leverage situations, not just in the two minute offense or passing downs.

Who knows why this the case, but by each growing week it’s getting more obvious that Gainwell is the current regime’s guy and Sanders the holdover. How that drives future production is anyone’s guess, but the arrows are pointing in opposite directions for the two of them.

I don’t think anyone will argue that Sanders has looked good in limited opportunities, but all we can go on is what we see: Sirianni clearly seems to like Gainwell a lot and often uses him in high leverage situations, not just in the two minute offense or passing downs.

Who knows why this the case, but by each growing week it’s getting more obvious that Gainwell is the current regime’s guy and Sanders the holdover. How that drives future production is anyone’s guess, but the arrows are pointing in opposite directions for the two of them.

Yup. Kind of like the craziness going on in Miami with Gaskin.

How many owners who have both Gainwell and Sanders are considering benching Sanders for Gainwell this week? I don't think it's a ridiculous question. Philly does not care about running the football. And since Sanders gets zero targets, Gainwell seems more useful. On a team that's constantly playing from behind, Sanders is not a part of this team's plans on passing downs. 

How many owners who have both Gainwell and Sanders are considering benching Sanders for Gainwell this week? I don't think it's a ridiculous question. Philly does not care about running the football. And since Sanders gets zero targets, Gainwell seems more useful. On a team that's constantly playing from behind, Sanders is not a part of this team's plans on passing downs. 
Of course it isn't ridiculous.  Gainwell will be very valuable to fantasy teams because of his receiving.  Whatever running he does is gravy. 

I have Gainwell and I'm playing against the team with Sanders this week. I feel like playing Gainwell this week would be like doubling down on betting against Sanders. I'm torn (Zack Moss is my other viable option) for RB2 this week.

That’s my plan as of now - Gainwell over Sanders. It might blow up in my face if Sanders goes off, but if he does, at least that would give a big spike to his value going forward.

Tentatively have Gainwell in over Sanders this week. But I do think that could backfire. Carolina isn't a team that's going to blow the Eagles out. I think Carolina wins in a gritty, low scoring affair. That could lead to more rushing chances which would be more of a Sanders game (theoretically). Still I need the points and Gainwell is getting them. Not sure why the Eagles can't look at week 1 and say "hey that worked good, let's do that again."

Tentatively have Gainwell in over Sanders this week. But I do think that could backfire. Carolina isn't a team that's going to blow the Eagles out. I think Carolina wins in a gritty, low scoring affair. That could lead to more rushing chances which would be more of a Sanders game (theoretically). Still I need the points and Gainwell is getting them. Not sure why the Eagles can't look at week 1 and say "hey that worked good, let's do that again."
If you said this three weeks ago, I’d totally agree. Not so much now heading into week 5.

I watched the entire Dallas/Philly game, and it was vexing. Philly abandoned the run almost immediately, although Sanders did gash the Dallas defense when Sanders did get a carry or two. Gainwell seems to be the better play as long as the Eagles don't care about running the ball, and I'm not sure game script affects their playcalling. 

I watched the entire Dallas/Philly game, and it was vexing. Philly abandoned the run almost immediately, although Sanders did gash the Dallas defense when Sanders did get a carry or two. Gainwell seems to be the better play as long as the Eagles don't care about running the ball, and I'm not sure game script affects their playcalling. 
The Eagles do run the ball, it’s just that Hurts does a lot of the running, including a lot of designed runs.

How do people see his role evolving ROS?

He's currently occupying the last spot on my bench in a  12-team PPR league. I want to pick up a second D, but I'm haunted by my experience with Sanders his rookie year, when I gave up on him too early and then was unable to get him back when he busted out.

Nonetheless, I'm thinking I'll see how he does tomorrow night. If he puts up another stinker, I should be able to drop him in advance of Sunday and would probably even have a good shot of getting him back

On the other hand, if he puts up strong numbers, I'll probably hold on and try to get that D next week, when I should have the roster spot for them.

Ultimately, I'm just still not totally sold on him, but I'm also not totally ready to give up.

Kenneth Gainwell played 23 percent of the Eagles' offensive snaps Thursday night against the Bucs. 

Gainwell's takeover of the Philadelphia backfield has been put on hold, maybe permanently, as Miles Sanders played 83 percent of the team's snaps against Tampa. Over the past two weeks, Gainwell hasn't even been deployed as a pass-catching back when the Eagles are trailing. His usage has gone from unpredictable to nonexistent. Seemingly his only path to consistent touches would be a Sanders injury. Gainwell is a hold in leagues with deeper benches. 

RELATED: 

Miles Sanders

Are people starting him this week and over who? Super-worried he is going to be a let-down if he keeps his pass-catching role and Scott/Howard takes early downs and GL considering the very likely gamescript of the Lions folding. Not to mention the lack of running in general for Philly. Starting him over Perine atm but will likely change my mind 10 times before kick off.

Are people starting him this week and over who? Super-worried he is going to be a let-down if he keeps his pass-catching role and Scott/Howard takes early downs and GL considering the very likely gamescript of the Lions folding. Not to mention the lack of running in general for Philly. Starting him over Perine atm but will likely change my mind 10 times before kick off.
starting him at flex in one league where I have some guys on bye (Marquis Brown, Henry Ruggs) and Corey Davis hurt. Not expecting much but don't really have any other options except Van Jefferson, who I did think about. 

Starting him over Singletary/Moss in my flex. There is some concern with Scott/Howard just because we really have no idea how this coaching staff will react. I'm hopeful though once Gainwell is the most talented RB on the squad right now.

Actually, with the possible exception of the Bengals game, Campbell's Lions don't fold.  I'd be happy flexing Gainwell.

Starting him over Alex Collins. Grim selection. 

I’m hoping the staff gives Gainwell an extended look to see what he can do with a larger role. But we can’t be confident in anything the staff does, so I expect a healthy dose of Howard running it up the gut.

I’m hoping the staff gives Gainwell an extended look to see what he can do with a larger role. But we can’t be confident in anything the staff does, so I expect a healthy dose of Howard running it up the gut.
I think the hope for gainwell is just that he catches 5-6 passes. Doesn’t seem unreasonable. 

Starting him over Singletary/Moss in my flex. There is some concern with Scott/Howard just because we really have no idea how this coaching staff will react. I'm hopeful though once Gainwell is the most talented RB on the squad right now.
Facing the same decision with Moss, just afraid we get to 4th quarter and he has 3 touches because the coaches are awful. 

In two PPR leagues. One (10-teamer) over Gibson, McKissic and A-Rob. The other (12-teamer) over Gibson, Agnew and Alie-Cox. All because of what I expect in the passing game. No idea what to expect with his carries in this game or any. 

Users who are viewing this thread