What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenneth Gainwell, PHI (4 Viewers)

Gainwell could make an immediate impact as a 3rd down back. He catches like a WR, back shoulder, 7 route, and on flat routes gets upfield without slowing down. He gained 10 pounds during the 2020 opt-out season, and still ran in the 4.4s at pro-day. He was a high school quarterback, with only 1 full season at RB in college. With the extra weight, he might get better at breaking tackles, which was one of his supposed weaknesses. The experts say he decent at pass protection. I wish Miami had drafted him for his big play ability.
KJ is going to be in on 3rd downs a lot though unfortunately.  I love his talent but think his upside his a little bit capped from a fantasy perspective this year only.  I do like him long term though.

Anyone see the game tonight? I missed it, how did he do?
He looked ok. Had some giant holes to run through, but didn't really get anything more than was blocked. Was solid in the passing game, but didn't look any better than Scott. 

The most telling thing for me is that Jordan Howard sat out, and Scott started, implying that Gainwell is currently RB4 for the Eagles. That could potentially lead to being a healthy scratch to start the season.

NBC Sports Philadelphia's Reuben Frank believes fifth-round Eagles RB Kenneth Gainwell has "really (carved) out a significant role for himself."

"He’s not just a receiving back, and he’s going to play a lot this year," was Frank's observation. "A lot," he added for emphasis. Gainwell rushed 12 times for 67 yards (5.58 YPC) this preseason, adding nine receptions for 66 yards. Frank believes Gainwell has popped as a runner in addition to his expected prowess as a pass catcher. It would appear Boston Scott has serious company for the No. 2 job behind Miles Sanders. Gainwell remains worth monitoring in PPR leagues. 

RELATED: 

Boston Scott

SOURCE: NBC Sports Philadelphia 

Aug 27, 2021, 11:32 PM ET

2021 NFL preseason: Highest- and lowest-graded rookies for every NFL team

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Highest: RB Kenneth Gainwell, 78.7
Lowest: DI Marlon Tuipulotu, 30.5

The fifth-round running back did more than enough this preseason to make veterans like Jordan Howard expendable. Gainwell impressed through the air, just as he did at Memphis, with nine catches for 66 yards on only 33 routes. He’s firmly a change-of-pace back from Miles Sanders.
Yet another reason to fade Sanders, if Gainwell takes a substantial share of the receptions out of the backfield. 

Word is that Sanders has struggled to catch the ball this preseason. 

seems to me best case is beating out Boston Scott for RB2, worst case is losing out (reminder: pass pro, rookie wall, etc.), most likely case is RB2 timeshare (i.e. underwhelming).  if you've got room on your roster, seems like a good player, but you can't depend on guaranteed significant production.

I believe Gainwell has the talent to be better than Sanders in the not so distant future.  That's pretty much all that needs to be said.  

seems to me best case is beating out Boston Scott for RB2, worst case is losing out (reminder: pass pro, rookie wall, etc.), most likely case is RB2 timeshare (i.e. underwhelming).  if you've got room on your roster, seems like a good player, but you can't depend on guaranteed significant production.
PPR dart throw, barring injury.

But Sanders hasn’t been the most reliable. If he goes down, I think Gainwell has the opportunity to be the more valuable part of a RBBC with Scott since Gainwell is the better receiver. Again, in PPR. At that point he’d be flex-worthy. 

Eagles mailbag: Picking a sleeper Eagles player and Gainwell’s role

Excerpt:

David Rhode @davidrhode

How much do you expect Kenny Gainwell to play in the opener?

Yeah, I think Gainwell will play in the opener and all season. We’ll have to see exactly what kind of role he can carve out in this offense but there’s no reason to bring him along slowly. Rookie running backs can contribute in the NFL from Day 1 and I see no reason why Gainwell wouldn’t play.

That’s not to say he’s going to be the lead back — he won’t — but I think we’ll see him in certain situations. Against the Jets in joint practices, Gainwell was with the first team in hurry-up situations because of his prowess as a pass catcher. That could be an early role for him as a rookie.

PPR dart throw, barring injury.

But Sanders hasn’t been the most reliable. If he goes down, I think Gainwell has the opportunity to be the more valuable part of a RBBC with Scott since Gainwell is the better receiver. Again, in PPR. At that point he’d be flex-worthy. 
Agreed...  trying to gain shares of Gainwell.... no bites. 

I think the whole Philly offense will be a bit down in 2021, but playing from behind will be their most common trait. 

Kenneth Gainwell rushed nine times for 37 yards and a touchdown in Philadelphia's Week 1 win over Atlanta, adding two catches for six additional yards.

Rumored to be a Miles Sanders-Boston Scott split, Gainwell stole the show from Scott with 25 snaps on Sunday and had another touchdown taken away via an illegible downfield penalty on Lane Johnson. Gainwell absorbs all of Scott's value and figures in to the RB3/FLEX picture in good matchups going forward. Next week against San Francisco probably isn't one of them just yet, though Gainwell was pretty impressive.  

Sep 12, 2021, 6:29 PM ET

Thinking of putting in 10%ish  as a Sanders owner. Will probably be a RBBC with Scott if Sanders goes down but Gainwell will definitely see an uptick in value and I would be comfortable starting him.

Thinking of putting in 10%ish  as a Sanders owner. Will probably be a RBBC with Scott if Sanders goes down but Gainwell will definitely see an uptick in value and I would be comfortable starting him.
I think it could actually be a RBBC with Sanders and Gainwell before too long. Maybe in the 60-40 split range. Gainwell looks very good already, and was in on their 2 and 4 minute drills and got plenty of action in the red zone. Of course this upcoming week will be a much better gauge.

I do think that if Sanders were to go down, Gainwell would be an every week RB2 with RB1 upside.

I think it could actually be a RBBC with Sanders and Gainwell before too long. Maybe in the 60-40 split range. Gainwell looks very good already, and was in on their 2 and 4 minute drills and got plenty of action in the red zone. Of course this upcoming week will be a much better gauge.

I do think that if Sanders were to go down, Gainwell would be an every week RB2 with RB1 upside.

I agree with this - I can definitely see it become a RBBC like Taylor / Hines in IND. Might already be. However Sanders looked really good vs the Falcons and I think there might have been some resting for him since it was a blowout. He gets more carries in a closer game IMO.

No denying Gainwell looked good as well. The TD was a decent run where he was untouched but he was in because they took Sanders out for a breather after a big run IIRC.

Definitely curious to see how the split looks this week vs. SF when it should be a much closer game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Gainwell as the juking pick while everyone else is jiving on Mitchell.

Wish he were available. He was a late teens pick around the time the Edwards owner drafted Ty’son.

I wanna push him an offer but trying to figure out how to disguise it in a multiplayer trade. “Were you gonna cut him in a few weeks? I don't mind taking him.”

:lol:

I agree with this - I can definitely see it become a RBBC like Taylor / Hines in IND. Might already be. However Sanders looked really good vs the Falcons and I think there might have been some resting for him since it was a blowout. He gets more carries in a closer game IMO.

No denying Gainwell looked good as well. The TD was a decent run where he was untouched but he was in because they took Sanders out for a breather after a big run IIRC.

Definitely curious to see how the split looks this week vs. SF when it should be a much closer game.
Totally agree on Sanders... he looks electric with the ball in his hands.

Gainwell had another TD taken away in the red zone too because of an illegal man downfield call. Could you imagine the hype right now if that stood?

Grabbed Gainwell for free while everyone else was slobbering over Mitchell.

Welcome to the squad.

Watched his highlights and I’m fully on board that we may have something here. I was a sanders owner last year so I was a little bit jaded on the Philly RB situation to start the season.

New coach. New QB. New year. Philly can be productive with this offense and Gainwell has already made himself a part of that production.

Might even have flex potential if Sanders stays upright and bona-fide “LEAGUE WINNER” if sanders goes down.

Thoughts on him vs. James White in a PPR league?

Both cleared waivers and I went with White because I have no RB depth and needed a floor. But KG is still out there and I'm wondering ...

Thoughts on him vs. James White in a PPR league?

Both cleared waivers and I went with White because I have no RB depth and needed a floor. But KG is still out there and I'm wondering ...
I think Gainwell has much more upside than White, probably an even higher floor. If Sanders goes down, Gainwell's value will skyrocket. If Harris goes down, White's value probably doesn't alter that much because Stevenson is there to assume Harris' role.

I think Gainwell has much more upside than White, probably an even higher floor. If Sanders goes down, Gainwell's value will skyrocket. If Harris goes down, White's value probably doesn't alter that much because Stevenson is there to assume Harris' role.
Agree on the ceiling, disagree on the floor. White has been around for years and we have a very good idea of what his role is. Gainwell has played one game for a team with a new coaching staff.

In any event, I decided to drop all of my Jets (Coleman, EMoore) and pick up both. We'll see how it shakes out over the next couple weeks.

As a Sanders owner, I took Gainwell in the 13th. Wasn't sure how the usage was going to play out but I'm happy I made the right call of Gainwell over Scott. 

Agree on the ceiling, disagree on the floor. White has been around for years and we have a very good idea of what his role is.
Not sure White's role is the same as it was in past years with Brady. He may be the outlet for Jones, but they also brought in a few very highly-paid TEs to work the middle of the field.

To each his own, but I'd rather shoot for the upside in Gainwell. 

He's avail in my league as is Darrynton Evans (Tenn).  Both are obviously a stash....Evans on IR so can create that extra space.

Not withstanding IR, who is deemed to be the better "lottery" ticket?   Obviously, if you roster Henry or Miles one perhaps may want the handcuff but for the one off, potential lottery ticket, who's the preferred back?

Spent a little more than I wanted but glad to secure him as a Sanders owner. Upped the price last minute and the second highest bid was the same as my previous and I would have lost the tie breaker 😁

He's avail in my league as is Darrynton Evans (Tenn).  Both are obviously a stash....Evans on IR so can create that extra space.

Not withstanding IR, who is deemed to be the better "lottery" ticket?   Obviously, if you roster Henry or Miles one perhaps may want the handcuff but for the one off, potential lottery ticket, who's the preferred back?
Gainwell, not close IMO.

As an unfortunate Sermon drafter as my RB3, I’m looking for some RB depth. Like what I saw out of Gainwell on Sunday but any thoughts on his role if Sanders were to go down? Is he a true handcuff who would step into a nice role or would it be a lot of Boston Scott and Gainwell gets a bump, but not a huge one?

tricky92 said:

Agree. I thin when they used him exclusively in the 4 minute drill at the end of the first half and then gave him playing time in the second half also, it suggests there is something they are very comfortable with him. 

Big fan and like his long term prospects but the TD really pumps up the stat line. I don't see how you could start wheeling him out as a Flex option, you'll be lucky if you can use him on a Bye week. I also think 2nd half of the season he will see a lot more touches or consistent touches, many wil overlook him again this week, but you gotta hold him on your bench, that ties up a roster spot. 

Big fan and like his long term prospects but the TD really pumps up the stat line. I don't see how you could start wheeling him out as a Flex option, you'll be lucky if you can use him on a Bye week. I also think 2nd half of the season he will see a lot more touches or consistent touches, many wil overlook him again this week, but you gotta hold him on your bench, that ties up a roster spot. 
Take away his Td and he stunk and isn’t flexworthy.

But, add his second TD that got called back by a penalty and this thread is blowing up like MittchelWilliamsgate 2021.

As an unfortunate Sermon drafter as my RB3, I’m looking for some RB depth. Like what I saw out of Gainwell on Sunday but any thoughts on his role if Sanders were to go down? Is he a true handcuff who would step into a nice role or would it be a lot of Boston Scott and Gainwell gets a bump, but not a huge one?
I think he’d get a big bump but he’d still split with someone. I would’ve be surprised if they activate Howard from the practice squad if Sanders were to go down for an extended period. Still a must own cuff for Sanders owners imo. 

Was able to add him & Mitchell in my main league…I love the possibility of the value that Gainwell could have in the 2nd half of the season. The Eagles seem to like him/trust him - especially giving him the red zone/goal line work.  

With the 81 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select...Kenneth Gainwell, Running Back, Memphis. 

-He is going to be one of the best backs coming out in the Draft, he has as good a chance as anyone drafted 2-3-4 spots ahead of him. He can catch and that makes him more interesting IMO and more versatile for different offenses. 

51 catches for 600+ yds in 2019, 2,000+ combined yds and 16 TDs, if he had opted to play in 2020 we might be talking about him like the 2nd or 3rd RB off the board. He is a complete steal, whoever gets him. 
Revisiting Gainwell MoP as Sanders came in with a (chest) questionable tag. Worth a flier if ya got space for one? I'd be dropping AJ Dillon who I think will eventually develop into a starting RB at some point. But this is now. Gainwell seems to be firmly entrenched in the RB 2 for his team and getting a decent amount of action already.

Revisiting Gainwell MoP as Sanders came in with a (chest) questionable tag. Worth a flier if ya got space for one? I'd be dropping AJ Dillon who I think will eventually develop into a starting RB at some point. But this is now. Gainwell seems to be firmly entrenched in the RB 2 for his team and getting a decent amount of action already.
I'd absolutely take Gainwell over Dillon. Dillon is a high end handcuff, but as you say, Gainwell is already eating into Sanders' touches and has stand alone value. Looking ahead, it would not surprise me if Gainwell took over the backfield next year at the latest, while Dillon needs a Jones injury to have much value. Don't forget that Jones is still young and signed a big extension that likely keeps him as the starter for a few more years. 

I'd absolutely take Gainwell over Dillon. Dillon is a high end handcuff, but as you say, Gainwell is already eating into Sanders' touches and has stand alone value. Looking ahead, it would not surprise me if Gainwell took over the backfield next year at the latest, while Dillon needs a Jones injury to have much value. Don't forget that Jones is still young and signed a big extension that likely keeps him as the starter for a few more years. 
Which leads into where does Gainwell rank in comparison to other RB's on their teams who offer weekly value, like Michel, Murray, Patterson, Moss, McKissic types? Patterson has got to lead the pack of these types, plus WR/RB allows for more options. For me it's Sony or Kenneth for upside. Gainwell may be worth more this week and even next, etc., but Sony could have more home run appeal based on him taking over 60% barring no injuries. Never been a huge Sony fan either. 

I have Gainwell on my roster in a few leagues but I liked him more than others during the Draft, thought Miami should have stolen him before Philly selected him so I likely am biased in my feelings here. 

I don't know that Gainwell can be a lead back however he sure does seem to have the make up of a pass catching RB who can do a lot of things and maybe only needs a steady diet of 8-10 carries, not sure I see him as being a heavy load guy but he is a nice safety valve for a young QB, he will have weeks that are in double digits but likely never hit 20 and his floor could be very low in some games depending on how the script goes. 

He's a guy on your bench to roll out for Bye week issue, you might get lucky when you play him but he is far from a sure thing. Lot of potential and will get better as the season rolls along, nobody knows who he is right now and defenses sure aren't making plans to stop him, he hasn't really made a big splash yet.

I have Gainwell on my roster in a few leagues but I liked him more than others during the Draft, thought Miami should have stolen him before Philly selected him so I likely am biased in my feelings here. 

I don't know that Gainwell can be a lead back however he sure does seem to have the make up of a pass catching RB who can do a lot of things and maybe only needs a steady diet of 8-10 carries, not sure I see him as being a heavy load guy but he is a nice safety valve for a young QB, he will have weeks that are in double digits but likely never hit 20 and his floor could be very low in some games depending on how the script goes. 

He's a guy on your bench to roll out for Bye week issue, you might get lucky when you play him but he is far from a sure thing. Lot of potential and will get better as the season rolls along, nobody knows who he is right now and defenses sure aren't making plans to stop him, he hasn't really made a big splash yet.
You like Gainwell over Michel for the ROS prospect, MoP?

Users who are viewing this thread