What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joe Mixon, HOU (1 Viewer)

DANG! As I tell my son's ... you are judged by the "company you keep" ...
Mixon was already a potential Cap casualty, but now it makes it easier to wave Bye-Bye.
Getting Bijan would be sweet, but he is unlikely to be there at #28 ... so trade up to #14 NEP pick?

According to the yahoo article shots fired at 8:30pm, and police appear to have had to go the route of getting a warrant to enter the property, and didn't get in till after midnight? Outside yelling for people to come out, with non compliance?
Not even sure what happened at all inside, but what a terrible look.

Edit.....perhaps not a warrant, but it took several hours for police to get in. Weird. I would think gunfire is probably cause.

Was Mixon even home?

Mike Dardis, news anchor for WLWT News 5 in Cincinnati, tweeted that Mixon's sister, Shelonda, told the media outlet that her brother was not involved in the shooting that left a juvenile injured.

WLWT News 5 has stated in its report that there is at least one evidence marker in the yard of Mixon's home and by 11 p.m., deputies had extended the crime scene tape across the whole of his home. A car was allowed into the driveway at around 12:15 a.m. after it was reported that the deputies were seen banging loudly on the door of Mixon's home and asking for the homeowner to come out of the property.
An envelope of documents was brought by a law enforcement officer about an hour later and deputies entered the house.

WLWT News 5 reported that flashlights could be seen in the house and further deputies arrived with note-taking supplies, some 30 minutes after the house had been entered.

Around 3:20 a.m., the deputies left the building without making an arrest and the crime scene tape was removed from the property.

DANG! As I tell my son's ... you are judged by the "company you keep" ...
Mixon was already a potential Cap casualty, but now it makes it easier to wave Bye-Bye.
Getting Bijan would be sweet, but he is unlikely to be there at #28 ... so trade up to #14 NEP pick?

He is well past that stage, he punched a girl so hard it broke bones in her face and she had to undergo reconstructive surgery and he also recently pointed a gun at a woman.

I don't think Mixon is a good person.

Mike Dardis, news anchor for WLWT News 5 in Cincinnati, tweeted that Mixon's sister, Shelonda, told the media outlet that her brother was not involved in the shooting that left a juvenile injured.

WLWT News 5 has stated in its report that there is at least one evidence marker in the yard of Mixon's home and by 11 p.m., deputies had extended the crime scene tape across the whole of his home. A car was allowed into the driveway at around 12:15 a.m. after it was reported that the deputies were seen banging loudly on the door of Mixon's home and asking for the homeowner to come out of the property.
An envelope of documents was brought by a law enforcement officer about an hour later and deputies entered the house.

WLWT News 5 reported that flashlights could be seen in the house and further deputies arrived with note-taking supplies, some 30 minutes after the house had been entered.

Around 3:20 a.m., the deputies left the building without making an arrest and the crime scene tape was removed from the property.
Is she just trying to protect her "gravy train" financial resource? No word from authorities if he was present?

Is she just trying to protect her "gravy train" financial resource? No word from authorities if he was present?
We have no idea what actually happened yet. For all we know he wasn't even home at the time. However, I'm surely not taking his sister's word for it.

Either way, if you're a GM who already had a decision to make, something like this isn't going to sway you in a positive way.

Regardless of what actually happened, he seems like he's increasingly more trouble than he's worth and rather than wait to find out what went wrong, it might be easier to just cut him.

Either way, if you're a GM who already had a decision to make, something like this isn't going to sway you in a positive way.

Regardless of what actually happened, he seems like he's increasingly more trouble than he's worth and rather than wait to find out what went wrong, it might be easier to just cut him.
Yes, if they were potentially going to release him anyway, this makes it easier - even if he wasn’t technically involved.

We have no idea what actually happened yet. For all we know he wasn't even home at the time. However, I'm surely not taking his sister's word for it.
More than likely if he was there, he sure as hell wasn't when the cops arrived.

Bengal's past history has always been wait-and-see. The Brown family would have the final say, not Duke. In the football contract aspect, Duke would have a lot of input but I do not think he would have the final call on a release based on criminal or alleged criminal activity. I'm sure they are keeping a close eye on the situation but if history is any indicator they will get the full story and mull it over before making a decision on the status of Joe Mixon being a member or not being a member of the Cincinnati Bengals.

The Athletic's Paul Dehner writes "there's zero precedent" for Joe Mixon to stay with the Bengals as part of a paycut.

Dehner is careful to couch this by noting that "Maybe Mixon is willing to take a pay cut. I suppose he could," but harps on the idea that the Bengals don't restructure contracts as part of their organizational philosophy. He also raises the idea that the Bengals could wait to release Mixon until free agency has already started or even hold off until after the NFL Draft. One thing that is very clear is that Mixon seems unlikely to be back with the Bengals on his current deal, and if a paycut isn't in the cards, it would seem likely that he'll eventually be released.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Mar 9, 2023 at 2:08 PM ET

The Cincinnati Enquirer reports no charges have been filed in the alleged shooting in Joe Mixon's neighborhood and Mixon hasn’t been listed as a suspect.

Mixon was never a suspect but this helps clear any doubts. Due a $12.8 million cap hit, Mixon has been a rumored cap casualty for the Bengals, who don't restructure contracts. Moving on from Mixon would clear $7.2 million for the Bengals with $5.5 million in dead money.
SOURCE: Cincinnati Enquirer
Mar 16, 2023 at 12:09 PM ET

Bengals executive vice president Katie Blackburn was reticent when asked if Joe Mixon would be the team's starting running back in 2023.

"Right now, he's on the team," Blackburn said, "and we are going to count on him until that wouldn't be the case. But yeah, he's the guy. ... I think he's still got a lot of production in him." Blackburn added she hopes Mixon can resolve his legal issues in the coming weeks and months. Mixon two weeks ago was cleared of an off-field incident involving a shooting in his neighborhood. Meanwhile, the Bengals let Samaje Perine walk in free agency and head coach Zac Taylor recently talked up RB Trayveon Williams as someone who has made progress in the Cincy backfield. Most signs point to Mixon being released this offseason. Entering his age-27 season, Mixon would be sure to have multiple suitors if the Bengals were to cut ties with him.
RELATED:
SOURCE: John Sheeran on Twitter
Mar 30, 2023 at 1:04 PM ET

Got rid of him in my money dynasty last year. Own him in 2 more leagues but suspect his value now is like a 4th round pick or something. Got to hold and pray for some output this year.

still shocked this guy had a career in the NFL after breaking face bones on that women

There was a counter-narrative of a racial slur uttered by not the woman, but her male friend. From a quick Google search, Mixon is on videotape that was released saying that her friend said the word that flipped his lid.

Amazing. Ugly incident and we'll never know what really happened.

Bengals coach Zac Taylor said Joe Mixon's future "is here with the team."

"I like Joe Mixon," Taylor added. Mixon managed to fade the Bengals drafting a running back early in the draft this weekend, but the Bengals will probably still ask him to take a paycut to stay on the roster. Still, this looks to be trending more towards Mixon staying than going.
SOURCE: ESPN
Apr 30, 2023 at 4:50 PM ET

Mixon was quietly one of the bigger winners of the draft.

He's a top-10 RB right now.
I think you are correct because I was thinking the same thing. I know Chase Brown is not enough on your roster to cut him and gives him leverage if they ask him to take a pay cut.

Not sure he’s free and clear from league discipline.
We'll see how that unfolds but the league has for the most part adopted a stance of no discipline until any court cases involved have been adjudicated. In the absence of any kind of video that will cause a PR uproar there is a really good chance he can push this to past the 2023 season.

The Athletic's Paul Dehner Jr. writes Joe Mixon's "endgame" will be whether he's "willing to realign his $12.8 million cap hit ... to the current state of the running back market."

Dehner starts by saying the Bengals "still really like what he brings to the table," but that Cincinnati knows that Mixon's contract is an outlier compared to this year's salaries and that they believe they'll tap into the "veteran backwaters" if Mixon doesn't agree to a salary adjustment. "His situation hasn't come to a head yet," writes Dehner Jr. It's likely that the Bengals will roll out an extension to Joe Burrow before figuring out the rest of their contract talks this offseason. Mixon, who has picked up some ADP steam since leaving the draft as the best real option on the roster, still is a logical cut candidate if the sides can't agree on a pay cut.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Jun 18, 2023 at 1:16 PM ET

He will end up making more with the Bengals than in the open market so yeah he is going to take a lower salary. I think he will be the starting back for the Bengals. I would be shocked if he is not but that said I do think Williams, Evans, and Brown will get more looks.

Where are we at on the legal situation?

SFB13 drafts coming up soon, and he's a nice value in the 5th round. Assuming he's not suspended for multiple weeks

SFB13 drafts coming up soon, and he's a nice value in the 5th round. Assuming he's not suspended for multiple weeks
Mixon in the fifth is great value for redraft imo. I’d happily go for him late fourth.

The Athletic’s Paul Dehner reports “all sides would prefer resolution sooner rather than later” with Joe Mixon’s contract situation.

It’s finally out in the open that Mixon needs to agree to a pay cut to retain his roster spot, but it is highly unclear how steep of a reduction the Bengals are seeking. Dehner accurately reports that the true deadline for a decision is the Tuesday before Week 1 when veteran salaries become guaranteed, but it’s safe to assume the Bengals want to know their backfield plans before cut-down week. A resolution early in camp seems most likely. Trayveon Williams and Day 3 rookie Chase Brown are the next men up in the Bengals’ backfield. Our money would be on Brown despite the Bengals’ offseason Williams hype.

Mixon in the fifth is great value for redraft imo. I’d happily go for him late fourth.
Maybe if he is still on the team and isn't suspended.
I get the vibe Cincy plans to keep him. They have superbowl aspirations and they haven't brought anyone else in. Maybe Dalvin Cook is waiting in the wings on this. I don't think he's the same Dalvin from 3 years ago, but Mixon probably isn't either.

I get the vibe Cincy plans to keep him. They have superbowl aspirations and they haven't brought anyone else in. Maybe Dalvin Cook is waiting in the wings on this. I don't think he's the same Dalvin from 3 years ago, but Mixon probably isn't either.
If Mixon is willing to take a pay cut. Dalvin was not who says Mixon will be willing to take enough of a pay cut to stay ? I assumed he was going to be there for a while but getting nervous that it is dragging out this long and now we hear rumors of this again.

If Mixon is willing to take a pay cut. Dalvin was not who says Mixon will be willing to take enough of a pay cut to stay ? I assumed he was going to be there for a while but getting nervous that it is dragging out this long and now we hear rumors of this again.
All excellent points. I don’t think Mixon is the smartest guy on the team or anything but he has to realize that his opportunity in cinci is better than just about anywhere else. I think he signs.

Mixon can’t get to the outside anymore but hes in a great offense that utilizes the RB in the passing game. Don’t expect a 5 TD game this season though.

Before the draft it was the Athletic reporter saying he'd get cut - nothing happened. During the draft they'd draft someone per the Athletic reporter - nobody selected high. He'll get cut before June 1st the Athletic reporter said - didn't happen. Now, the Athletic reporter says he's gone before the season starts. Clickbait artist?

Where's the big boy reporters at?

And why is Faust just copy/pasting the same bleeping guy over and over again?

Before the draft it was the Athletic reporter saying he'd get cut - nothing happened. During the draft they'd draft someone per the Athletic reporter - nobody selected high. He'll get cut before June 1st the Athletic reporter said - didn't happen. Now, the Athletic reporter says he's gone before the season starts. Clickbait artist?

Where's the big boy reporters at?

And why is Faust just copy/pasting the same bleeping guy over and over again?

I think the reporting has been spot on. Blackburn and Tobin have both said his spot on the team is not guaranteed and might need to be examined. This is not click bait.I've yet to see anything regarding these timeframes you suggest, with only time I can recall the beat writes specifying a time was "before the season". They may have speculated he could get cut before that time frame, but no one was reporting it was a done deal.

Like I said this is good reporting IMO and useful. Before the latest report that came out everyone kind of assumed after the draft that Mixon was in the clear and again me personally like getting info that let's me know it's not necessarily the case.

Users who are viewing this thread