What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (2 Viewers)

I'll give Smith a pass. I mean, when Cousins was throwing to guys last night, they were open. Heck, same for Eli when he stayed upright. Smith has to thread a needle every time. The skins receivers just don't get any separation.

Dunbar was nowhere close to playing yesterday but thinks he may be ready against Atlanta.  Nerve, hamstring, shin issues.

Apke may go on IR due to another injury.

Chris Thompson injured another rib. Pain tolerance will be the issue.

MikeApf said:
On QB:  we need Smith to open up more but in the three game win streak he has not turned it over once.  Last night Cousins once again put up big numbers but had an untimely pick six.  In several other Minnesota losses this year he has also committed untimely turnovers.  I am starting to read articles now saying cousins is putting up great stats but does he have the stuff to take minn to the SB...cuz that’s the only reason you pay him like that.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2803271-vikings-qb-kirk-cousins-already-looking-like-an-84-million-flop.amp.html

Sound familiar?  Now of course, Smith needs to open up more but I truly believe the team needs to be patient with him because if we just get a little more for him while maintaining the lack of turnovers we may have something..
Besides the pick 6, Cousins also had a lost fumble which was negated by penalty. At one point in the game the Vikings had the Saints on the run, had scored on 2 consecutive drives I believed and their WR's looked unstoppable. But after that, nothing from the Vikings. Yeah, a lot of passing yards, but we all know how many games are won by passing yardage alone.

We thought Cousins was going to a really solid team, with a good defense and a solid run game. Turns out their O-line is porous, and Cousins in the only QB in the league who's been pressured at least 10 times every game. Their run game isn't much, Cousins isn't so good under pressure, and their defense isn't as good as last year.  Meanwhile Redskin passing yardage is way down, their running game is very good, and their defense so far is quite good.  Odd how things work out. Would the Redskins be better off if Cousins was still here, they had more passing yardage, more turnovers, and fewer runs?

Besides the pick 6, Cousins also had a lost fumble which was negated by penalty. At one point in the game the Vikings had the Saints on the run, had scored on 2 consecutive drives I believed and their WR's looked unstoppable. But after that, nothing from the Vikings. Yeah, a lot of passing yards, but we all know how many games are won by passing yardage alone.

We thought Cousins was going to a really solid team, with a good defense and a solid run game. Turns out their O-line is porous, and Cousins in the only QB in the league who's been pressured at least 10 times every game. Their run game isn't much, Cousins isn't so good under pressure, and their defense isn't as good as last year.  Meanwhile Redskin passing yardage is way down, their running game is very good, and their defense so far is quite good.  Odd how things work out. Would the Redskins be better off if Cousins was still here, they had more passing yardage, more turnovers, and fewer runs?
This. 

Further information about the Vikings-Saints game, and QB's doing what it takes to win that game:

Kirk Cousins 31/41/ 359 2 TD, 1 INT

Drew Brees18/23/120, 1 TD, 1 INT

Saints had 106 yards rushing, which is good, but nothing near what the Redskins did. Cousins passed for more yards that the Saints gained in all ways, yet the Saints were in control of the game late.

So, since Dallas and Philly both traded for WRs, I assume Danny is going to feel the peer pressure and get one too. Hopefully someone decent for not too high a price.

Ha Ha is a great get for the Skins.     Monte Nicholson is out of position way too often.   Clinton-Dix should start immediately, especially when you consider that Julio Jones, Muhammad Sanu and Calvin Ridley are coming to town.  

The Redskins reportedly gave up a 2019 4th round pick.  Ha Ha will be a free agent after the season, so he is half season rental.  I have no idea if the Redskins could get a compensation pick if Ha Ha signs with another team next year.

Marvelous said:
The Redskins reportedly gave up a 2019 4th round pick.  Ha Ha will be a free agent after the season, so he is half season rental.  I have no idea if the Redskins could get a compensation pick if Ha Ha signs with another team next year.
According to Al Galdi they can get a compensatory pick as high as a 4th.

The Redskins have finished with less than 200 yards passing in each of their past three games -- all of which they've won. It's the first time in coach Jay Gruden's four-plus seasons that they've thrown for less than that total in three straight games.

I realize that they need to improve their passing offense, since there are going to be times they're behind when games are getting late. But if a team has to be weak at one of the 5 main components (besides coaching), which is the least harmful one to be weak at?

Rushing defense

Passing defense

Rushing offense

Passing offense

Special teams

Sun, Nov 4    vs Atlanta 1:00 PM     
Sun, Nov 11  @ Tampa Bay 1:00 PM     
Sun, Nov 18  vs Houston 1:00 PM
Thu, Nov 22     @ Dallas 4:30 PM     
Mon, Dec 3  @ Philadelphia 8:15 PM     
Sun, Dec 9  vs New York 1:00 PM     
Sun, Dec 16  @ Jacksonville 1:00 PM     
Sat, Dec 22  @ Tennessee 4:30 PM     
Sun, Dec 30  vs Philadelphia 1:00 PM

They could lose each of those games. But dammit it's tempting to get a bit optimistic.

Does this make getting Ha Ha a no brainer.  They give up a mid to low 4th round pick in 2019 and get Ha Ha for half a year and get a 4th or 5th round comp pick in 2020 if he leaves and signs a decent contract.  Of course, if the Redskins go a a big free agent spending spree, they won't get the compensation pick.

Just in case anyone is wondering, the Redskins are projected to get 4 compensation picks in 2019:

Kirk Cousins - 3rd round

Trent Murphy - 5th

Ryan Grant - 6th

Niles Paul - 7th

Will Compton would be a 7th also, but there is a limit of 4.

If Breeland's contract with Carolina went through, he would have netted a 4th round pick and we would lose the 7th for Paul.

Does this make getting Ha Ha a no brainer.  They give up a mid to low 4th round pick in 2019 and get Ha Ha for half a year and get a 4th or 5th round comp pick in 2020 if he leaves and signs a decent contract.  Of course, if the Redskins go a a big free agent spending spree, they won't get the compensation pick.
This morning Galdi updated that and said the pick could go as high as a 3rd. It depends on things having to do with how many players a team loses or signs via free agency, or how much they spend/lose in free agency, or something like that which I have no desire to look up.

Getting a compensatory pick is the fallback plan, to me. I'd like to see him play well and sign a new contract with the Skins.

Sun, Nov 4    vs Atlanta 1:00 PM     
Sun, Nov 11  @ Tampa Bay 1:00 PM     
Sun, Nov 18  vs Houston 1:00 PM
Thu, Nov 22     @ Dallas 4:30 PM     
Mon, Dec 3  @ Philadelphia 8:15 PM     
Sun, Dec 9  vs New York 1:00 PM     
Sun, Dec 16  @ Jacksonville 1:00 PM     
Sat, Dec 22  @ Tennessee 4:30 PM     
Sun, Dec 30  vs Philadelphia 1:00 PM

They could lose each of those games. But dammit it's tempting to get a bit optimistic.
With the exception of the Dal/Philly games, those all look like sure Ws

Last edited by a moderator:
Just in case anyone is wondering, the Redskins are projected to get 4 compensation picks in 2019:

Kirk Cousins - 3rd round

Trent Murphy - 5th

Ryan Grant - 6th

Niles Paul - 7th

Will Compton would be a 7th also, but there is a limit of 4.

If Breeland's contract with Carolina went through, he would have netted a 4th round pick and we would lose the 7th for Paul.
And remember these picks are all AFTER the round they are announced to being. Pet peeve of mine. The top compensatory pick of the "3rd round" is the 97th player off the board. After every team has picked 3 times. That makes him a 4th rounder in my book. 

The team is now more optimistic that Trent Williams will play Sunday.

His thumb dislocation which they couldn't stabilize sounded weird. Like it was moving all over his hand or something.

Dude I am nervous all game every game.  But that’s why I’m not even overly bothered about Smiths slow start.  We are winning.  For this team to win three in a row is a major accomplishment, culture wise...something to build on.  

Several stray thoughts:

On Peterson’s big run, watch Sherrif pull and demolish his man to spring the play.  A lot of folks questioned that pick but he is definitely a great player.

On QB:  we need Smith to open up more but in the three game win streak he has not turned it over once.  Last night Cousins once again put up big numbers but had an untimely pick six.  In several other Minnesota losses this year he has also committed untimely turnovers.  I am starting to read articles now saying cousins is putting up great stats but does he have the stuff to take minn to the SB...cuz that’s the only reason you pay him like that.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2803271-vikings-qb-kirk-cousins-already-looking-like-an-84-million-flop.amp.html

Sound familiar?  Now of course, Smith needs to open up more but I truly believe the team needs to be patient with him because if we just get a little more for him while maintaining the lack of turnovers we may have something...
One of the main reasons behind Andy Reid's success as a head coach is having QB's that don't throw interceptions. McNabb and Smith were usually in the top ten, if not the top five of QB's with lowest interception percentage. You could attribute that to the QB's, but I think because of how consistent it is over the years, it has to be somewhat due to the coaching. Based on what Smith learned in KC, I assume he will continue to have a low int. %. That is a lot more valuable than people give it credit for. They would rather look at passing yards and TD's. But not turning the ball over definitely contributes to winning.

One of the main reasons behind Andy Reid's success as a head coach is having QB's that don't throw interceptions. McNabb and Smith were usually in the top ten, if not the top five of QB's with lowest interception percentage. You could attribute that to the QB's, but I think because of how consistent it is over the years, it has to be somewhat due to the coaching. Based on what Smith learned in KC, I assume he will continue to have a low int. %. That is a lot more valuable than people give it credit for. They would rather look at passing yards and TD's. But not turning the ball over definitely contributes to winning.
Start counting INTs as - 4 in fantasy and watch how the perception changes. 

The Ravens shafting Ryan Grant for a shot at Crabtree really ####ed us in the comp pick game. That would have been a 4th right there, regardless of Breeland's issue. 

Ha'Sean Treshon "Ha Ha" Clinton-Dix.

While the Packers have lost one great name, they still have Geronimo Allison, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, and Equanimeous St. Brown so the cupboard's not bare there.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/02/trent-williams-out-for-washington-had-surgery-on-thumb/

Trent Williams out Sunday.  At least we have a good backup in Ty.  No one else can get hurt though...
I want some answers about this. This really pisses me off. Reports are coming out that he could be out a month. When I was at Penn State, I was involved with the strength and conditioning staff, particularly the offensive/defensive lines, and I have known/know a few NFL strength and conditioning coaches personally, and I know some of the docs who run the Orthopedic practice that treats many DC area sports teams well enough to get informed opinions. I have never, in almost 3 decades of having a close enough relationship to know, ever heard of a thumb injury, short of it falling off), that would cause an offensive lineman, no, check that, the anchor of an offensive line, in the middle his team's surprisingly successful season (a time that his team needs him the most), having a THUMB surgery that will sideline him for a month. There's an overwhelming chance that this was an elective procedure, that could have been postponed. I like Trent, and he's a great player. I don't want to believe he'd do something like that. Professional athletes  are supposed to be mentally and physically tough enough to make tough decisions  and see the bigger picture, and put the team first, if it's something that can be dealt with down the road. If that's the case, I think it's a pretty selfish move on his part. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I'd like to know the details. If it's not something urgent, it's a pretty **** move.

I want some answers about this. This really pisses me off. Reports are coming out that he could be out a month. When I was at Penn State, I was involved with the strength and conditioning staff, particularly the offensive/defensive lines, and I have known/know a few NFL strength and conditioning coaches personally, and I know some of the docs who run the Orthopedic practice that treats many DC area sports teams well enough to get informed opinions. I have never, in almost 3 decades of having a close enough relationship to know, ever heard of a thumb injury, short of it falling off), that would cause an offensive lineman, no, check that, the anchor of an offensive line, in the middle his team's surprisingly successful season (a time that his team needs him the most), having a THUMB surgery that will sideline him for a month. There's an overwhelming chance that this was an elective procedure, that could have been postponed. I like Trent, and he's a great player. I don't want to believe he'd do something like that. Professional athletes  are supposed to be mentally and physically tough enough to make tough decisions  and see the bigger picture, and put the team first, if it's something that can be dealt with down the road. If that's the case, I think it's a pretty selfish move on his part. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I'd like to know the details. If it's not something urgent, it's a pretty **** move.
Yeah, doesn't make much sense. I'm no doctor and I certainly wouldn't question Trent's willingness to play through pain and put the team first; he's done it over and over throughout his career. But I see linemen playing with a hand wrapped up all the time. Or is that just DL? Do OL do that too? I can see a greater need for a thumb for an OL than a DL.

Or maybe this just shows the team's confidence in Ty and the team overall. Maybe they're looking at it as "We're in pretty good shape and we want him fully healthy down the stretch."

Given Trent’s track record, I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here.  Hopefully more details will come out to clarify this issue...

https://mobile.twitter.com/JPFinlayNBCS/status/1058412664588824576

JP Finley reporting Williams will be week to week?  So maybe the team thinks he can bang this out and get back sooner...and be totally healthy for a playoff run?   A calculated risk?  We’ll see what happens...like u guys, I would like to see the team share their reasoning 

ETA the week to week designation comes right from Gruden

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hogshaven.com/platform/amp/2018/11/2/18056682/jay-gruden-redskins-injury-report-presser-trent-williams-had-thumb-surgery-out-vs-falcons

I have never, in almost 3 decades of having a close enough relationship to know, ever heard of a thumb injury, short of it falling off), that would cause an offensive lineman, no, check that, the anchor of an offensive line, in the middle his team's surprisingly successful season (a time that his team needs him the most), having a THUMB surgery that will sideline him for a month. There's an overwhelming chance that this was an elective procedure, that could have been postponed.
If you remember the first reports, they had not yet been able to reattach the thumb to the rest of the structure of the hand. It was completely dislocated. How long do you think that takes, along with time to heal enough to allow a cast to hold it stable while playing football? Serious question.

The last person I'd ever accuse on this team of dogging it is Trent Williams. He's played hurt many times we've heard about, and many more that we haven't heard about except in passing mentions by beat reporters over the years.

I realize the team needs him, and it's frustrating, but the accusation is misplaced in my view.

What the hell is Crowder doing?

Crowder and Thompson are out Sunday. 2/3 of the skill players we were relying on prior to the season (Reed being the third). We were hoping for Richardson but certainly not relying on him.

So, I was pretty fired up when I posted earlier...

There certainly are many levels of severity of thumb dislocations, including ones that require surgery, and ones that require immediate surgery, and ones that require surgery based on what you do for a living with your hands...

In my earlier post, I did use a caveat, something to the effect of 'short of it falling off'...obviously, if there's a danger of losing the thumb, or having permanent damage long term unless immediate surgery is performed, you have to have the surgery.

Trent certainly presents as a Player who knows the difference between hurt and injured, and has a track record of playing while hurt, which is why, I said I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

While O-linemen aren't supposed to use their hands to grab and pull, they do have to use them to push, and certainly their hands get a lot of use and abuse during a game...but offensive linemen have played with sprained, dislocated and broken thumbs, which can be immobilized and protected.

It would have  to be really, really bad for him to need to have a surgery that would keep him out for an extended period, especially during a stretch of games where we really need him. I'm a huge fan of Nseke, but it's a big ask for him to keep Tak McKinley off Smith, and we get Watt/Clowney on 11/18, and then a short week to play the Cowboys in Dallas on Thanksgiving. Not having Trent for those games is a pretty big deal.

A thumb disclocation severe enough to require immediate surgery and an extended leave of absence is a very rare thing indeed...and the timing absolutely sucks. If it's indeed that bad, I wish him the best,and hope he heals quickly so we can get him back soon, because we need him.

...but again, those kind of injuries are very rare, and if it really is that bad, it would have been nice to have heard more about it right from the get go...but because we didn't, and because injuries that severe are so rare, it causes me to wonder if surgery was really necessary, or could have been put off until the end of the season...and these days, there seem to be a lot more procedures being performed that could be put off. Things in general are getting way too cautious when it comes to 'hurt vs injured' in a violent game that gets played by big, strong, fast athletes. It's just MHO that the pendulum has swung a little too far in the wrong direction when it comes to that stuff, and I hope it swings back to the middle soon, because I think it's negatively impacting both the Players, and the game.

None of that makes Trent one of those guys, or this situation one of those situations.

I just wish we had more info...and it's generally wise to refrain from commenting in the heat of the moment, when info is lacking.

I went a little over the top in my previous post. Should have taken a deep breath and dialed it back a little. I'm usually a little more even keeled.

Get well, Trent.

Users who are viewing this thread